Code of Conduct

Default Which two Hermes work best

I'm looking for a summer and winter Hermes scent.

I like TdH for summer, but I'm intrigued by Orange Verte Concentree. Which do you recommend for summer wear?

Also, which Hermes scent works best for cold weather, winter wear? I'm leaning towards Equipage for that one.

Do you guys have other recomomendations?

Default Re: Which two Hermes work best

I love Eau d'Hermes...the best thing they have ever done IMHO. It is extremely sophisticated and the perfect multitasking scent.

I think Eau d`Hermes is great, too. IMO it`s much better than Bel Ami or Equipage.

Now I do like Bel Ami...in a way...It`s distinctive winter-y scent with dominant note of smoked leather. Has some peppery-woody elements too, but to me that mixture of castoreum and vanilla can be quite disturbing sometimes.

Eau d'Hermes is great, but has a good dose of cumin, making it a certain try-before-you-buy. Bel Ami is a potent leather/smoke/spice that I love, but is somewhat controversial as well. Equipage is probably my most worn scent, but it has a strong heart of carnation accord that some people can't get around. Rocabar is a well made vanilla/fern oriental that is quality all the way, but not quite as interesting as its older brothers. None are generic, so it's not an easy recommendation to make. WRT Orange Concentree, I'm not a fan at all, but I love the original, though admittedly longevity can be poor.

Rocabar works in every season, but is best in winter.
    Orange Vert is great for summer, but you'll need to refresh often.
    [I like the original better than the Concentree.]

Quote Originally Posted by youngscholar

I like TdH for summer, but I'm intrigued by Orange Verte Concentree. Which do you recommend for summer wear?
    I got myself a big bottle of CdOV for this summer, and it surely is a lot of fun. Longevity is also okay, if applied generously. TdH would also work, and it's your pick if you are looking for something more masculine and earthy. Well that's probably what you know already by smelling them but I really like CdOV.

Un Jardin sur le Nil is their best fragrance for summer in my opinion (fresh, fruity with a hint of wood...), and Poivre Samarcande in their "exclusive" Hermessence range seems like the best choice for winter. Only problem is... the price !!! (something around 145 Euros *:'()

Basenotes Institution

Late post to this thread...

Summer: Un Jardin sur le Nil
    Winter: Ambre Narguile

I love Bel Ami and Tdh and I'm not particularly worried about the weather. I work at home when I do work and keep things frosty. That said I like to start the day off with the Orange Vert family as an eye opener in the morning. I have no idea why citrus does such a great diappearing act but it does and tradionally it's used in colognes with a higher alchohol content to perfume ratio.

For my two cents, I would choose Terre d'Hermes and Rocabar.

I've recently discovered Hermes, my two favourites are: Ambre Narguile and 24, Faubourg.

Honourable mentions are: Eau de Merveilles, Terre D'hermes and Kelly Caleche (this took me a few tries to "get").
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

You can wear these anytime, though the last two particularly reveal more complexity in a little heat and humidity.

Eau d'Hermès
    Poivre Samarcande
    Eau des Merveilles
    Terre d'Hermès

I love Jardin en Mediterranea (sp?) for the summer. du Nil also is good summer one.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

my two favorites are Equipage and Amber Narguile..

I own and wear Equipage, but I can't pull off the other...

My two personal favorites from Hermes are Poivre Samarcande and Equipage. They "work best" IMO.

Hermes has many very good fragrances depending on your personal taste and need for a type of scent. I have not owned them all, or even sampled all, but I also really enjoy: Ambre Narguile, Eau d' Hermes, Vetiver Tonka and Paprika Brasil. I am not a huge fan of Terre d' Hermes like most everyone else even though I got seduced into buying a bottle. Need a bottle of TdH?

Terre d'Hermes - summer (although versatile enough for 3.5 seasons)

skip Orange, OK but poor longevity even in the concentrate

Equipage for winter although again, versatile
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    I love Bel Ami and Tdh and I'm not particularly worried about the weather.
    Same here.

I'm a big fan of Bel Ami and like to use it more during the evenings, but I don't think it really matters when you use it, as far as seasons go.

Summer is best with a hint of:

Un Jardin sur le Nil
    Un Jardin en Mediterranée
    Eau de Merveilles
    Eau d'Orange Verte

the 3 first ones have an ok longevity in most skins but the last one should be worn as a splash, it's a goner in 10 min or less.

Équipage works in both winter and summer i think.
    Rocabar is more of a winter scent.

In general i tend to think that all scents could be worn at any time of the year, but here i'm basing my recs in a more "conventional" way.

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    I think Eau d`Hermes is great, too. IMO it`s much better than Bel Ami or Equipage.

Now I do like Bel Ami...in a way...It`s distinctive winter-y scent with dominant note of smoked leather. Has some peppery-woody elements too, but to me that mixture of castoreum and vanilla can be quite disturbing sometimes.
    I agree, EdH is my favorite. EdH is very androgenic. Bel Ami, which I respect, is a very 80's macho, macho man type scent. These two work best after the summer humidity and heat subsides.

Anyone for Hiris? A perfect year-round mysterious Iris fragrance. Absolutely divine, I could never live without it. One of my top 5 holy grail scents. Its perfect in the winter, perfect in the summer, perfect in the spring, perfect in the fall...well, lets just say its Perfect.

However, I'm a huge Hermes fan and there really aren't many that I dislike from the line. Orange Verte is another one I can't be without and Caleche is a great fall/winter aldehyde.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

Thumbs up Re: Which two Hermes work best

Quote Originally Posted by youngscholar View Post

No doubt for me:
    Eau d'Orange Verte vs TdH = 10 to 0!!!

Not Orange Verte Concentree but Eau d'Orange Verte.
    IMHO one of the more extraordinary and little expensive fragrances presents today on the market...

mr.setter
    http://basenotes.net/wardrobe/8905

"Il profumo dei fiori non puo' andare controvento, ma il profumo delle buone azioni compiute da uomini virtuosi si effonde in tutte le direzioni."[Dhammapada]

Bel Ami or TdH for winter; TdH or EdH for summer. (TdH is a personal favorite year 'round. It's crisp in the warm weather but cedar-y and warm in colder months/climes. OVC is nice, but it -- IMHO -- lacks sillage and longevity.

Wear Equipage ANYTIME, but only if you like a strong chypre. (I do, but many don't. To me, Equipage is a kissing cousin to the original Gucci pour Homme in this regard, although Equipage has carnation that the old Gucci pour Homme lacks. Oh, well, in any case, what's dated and strictly old school to some here on the board is way retro and cool to others among us.)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 26th August 2007 at 04:48 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

TdH is a sure winner in my book. Scent wise Rocabar is great, but has no longetvity on me so my second recomendation would be EdH.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post
    Rocabar works in every season, but is best in winter.
    Orange Vert is great for summer, but you'll need to refresh often.
    [I like the original better than the Concentree.]
    Hahaha, I was about to reply to this post saying "Yeah, I agree," when I realized
    I was the one who wrote it.

Well, my opinion hasn't changed over the past year. I do have a generally high
    regard for Hermes scents, but strangely only purchased Rocabar. I like both
    Equipage and Bel Ami as well. Orange Verte doesn't last long enough, but
    the little while it does is very refreshing.

I dont' care for Terre at all.