Code of Conduct

Default New!  Quimbaya by Jean Pascal

I am a huge fan of JP's signature scent and Quimbaya is another winner!

Quimbaya starts with a cool blast of citrus over a dominant rosemary and thyme blend. As the citrus fades, the herbs move further to the forefront but now blend with spicey clove and lavendar. Quimbaya is very masculine but not as macho as JP. Quimbaya is somewhat lighter; it is probably better suited to warmer weather. It is surprisingly long-lasting. I applied a couple of dabs at 6am and by 2pm it was still there (but definitely benefited from a recharge from the sample vial).

Quimbaya reminds me of one of my favorites - Ronaldo Esper Signature. The Esper has a similar herbal blend but is sweetened slightly by fruit at the top. Quimbaya lacks the fruit but sweetens the scent and deepens it with the lavendar and clove (the clove is just a hint - you have to look for it as it is very well blended).

This is a must own fragrance, IMHO.

Vijay at Maison de Parfum is the US distributor for Jean Pascal and is a good friend of Basenotes.

francois

Default Re: New!  Quimbaya by Jean Pascal

I got a sample from Vijay, and it reminded me a lot of Fahrenheit.
    (maybe with less creosote though)

Default Re: New! *Quimbaya by Jean Pascal

I actually received my bottle of Quimbaya today from Vijay ( along with Jean Pascal PH ) and I think it's fantastic! Vijay told me some have said (like francois above) that it reminds them of Fahrenheit ... but I disagree. I don't think they are similar, but I do think Quimbaya reminds me a bit of Versace Black Jeans ( which I love ) only with better longevity.

This was definitely a good addition to my collection, and a great summer frag. Every time I spray it I start singing ...

"" someone's singin' lord ... Quimbaya""
    "" someone's laugin' lord ... Quimbaya""
    "" ooh I loooove this shit ... Quimbaya""
    "" Ohhhhh lord ..................Quimbaya""

I couldn't find any info on Jean Pascal in the directory. I have been reading about the scents for months...what's up with that?

Kelley

yuck! i am the voice of the opposition in this post yet again lol! I got samples of this stuff from Vijay as well, no offense to anyone who likes it, but I found it just smelled awful. It fits into that "typical 35 year old man cologne" category that I really make an effort to stay away from (see my controversial post going on in the male frag board right now LOL) He also sent me Geir, which smelled "okay - good" out of the tester vial, haven't had a chance to really try it yet so I cant offer an opinion.

JP and Quimbaya both really smell like some stuck in the early 90's stuff to me.

I bought the big bottle from Vijay and am loving it. I definitely find it shares a lot with Fahrenheit so if you donīt like that one this probably wonīt be your cup of tea. It has a lot of own merit though - Fresh citrus opening that fades pretty fast leaving way for a mildly herbal but strongly spicy midsection. Quimbaya is mostly about lavender, cedar & musk though, the rosemary in the heart reminds me of Eau Sauvage slightly as well.
    Overall impression, a peppery well balanced scent that is masculine but not extremely macho as the signature one, just like someone said. The longevity is really good, easily 7 hours+. The bottle looks a lot better than in the pictures as well.
    Like I said before itīs funny and ironic that stuff this good is almost completely unknown and hidden from us in Colombia. I really wish JP good luck, his stuff sure deserves a bigger market.

MMM

I said it reminds me of Fahrenheit at the beginning (opening notes) which is a good thing, it has that balsamic quality, the drydown on the other hand is much better than Fahrenheit's it's like rich sandalwood (pencil shavings and all) love Quimbaya!

MMM. I also am surprised Jean Pascal is not more popular in the US. I guess it is a function of superior advertising (dollars spent) versus superior product.

It's funny, I don't get the Fahrenheit similarity.

Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    yuck! i am the voice of the opposition in this post yet again lol! I got samples of this stuff from Vijay as well, no offense to anyone who likes it, but I found it just smelled awful. It fits into that "typical 35 year old man cologne" category that I really make an effort to stay away from (see my controversial post going on in the male frag board right now LOL) He also sent me Geir, which smelled "okay - good" out of the tester vial, haven't had a chance to really try it yet so I cant offer an opinion.

JP and Quimbaya both really smell like some stuck in the early 90's stuff to me.
    Czech, you have a right to voice an opinion- yours and your viewpoint. I welcome that.

Now I will offer mine. You are a smart young man but just like you mentioned your controversial post, in that post also. you are quick to categorize scents with age groups. Just on a side note , everybody knows that I have a retail perfume establishment, I have sold Quimbaya in my store to your age group, younger than your age group, and also older than your age group.

If you say that it reminds you of something that smells like something stuck in the 90's, well let's see here, in the early 90's you were around 6 years old. How many scents did you smell and review at that age?

Don't take an offense to my opinion, its is just my opinion, just like you offered yours. People on this forum have a a great mind of their own, and different viewpoints, and they can figure it out for themselves.

Sorry Chuck and everybody else, did not mean to hijack this thread in another direction, but I just could not resist.

I am a great believer in sampling things. I do that for my store, before I bring the products in the store. That is why I have been mailing free samples even to Europe at my cost. Many basenoter members can vouch for that. I don't mind that, because I want people to really like something before they buy. Money is not something that grows on trees that you can throw away.

I will continue to send out samples to people that request it as long as they are free to me and as long as I can afford to do so. If anybody wants it all they have to do is PM me.

Have a great weekend everybody .

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

quimbaya and also jean pascal pour homme are both excellent frags in my book and distinctly unique amongst the frags i have....i've been wearing quimbaya now for a little bit and must say its been a really pleasant frag especially at work...i thought i caught a brief melon smell amongst the citrusy lavendery and then it seems to change into a very light insensy smell also... both jean pascal scents were purchased from vijay's maison and he's an extremely generous person who has always offered interesting samples to check out....a top shelf businessman..
    quimbaya will be a mainstay of spring/summer for me....it wraucks!!!!

Basenotes Plus

I think what is going on here is that Jean Pascal falls into the category of strong "aromatic" frags, and those are closely associated with the 1970's through 1980's. To say that aromatics would be more likely to be appreciated by those from that age group is not offensive to me, despite being one of the older members here. Quimbaya, IMHO, is not in that category. I think that ziffy is correct in that it is more reminiscent of Black Jeans than Fahrenheit, and is therefore a more "modern" frag.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    I think what is going on here is that Jean Pascal falls into the category of strong "aromatic" frags, and those are closely associated with the 1970's through 1980's. To say that aromatics would be more likely to be appreciated by those from that age group is not offensive to me, despite being one of the older members here. Quimbaya, IMHO, is not in that category. I think that ziffy is correct in that it is more reminiscent of Black Jeans than Fahrenheit, and is therefore a more "modern" frag.
    The Black Jeans comparison is spot on. I received my bottle of Quimbaya from Vijay today, and have been loving every minute of it so far. The citrus lasts longer than it does in VBJ, though to be truthful the frag in general is longer-lasting than Versace's offering. Got 2 compliments today as well, Quimbaya is a crowd pleaser and perfect for work in the summer!

First I wanted to thank Vijay for lettings us sample so many different fragrances for free. There is hardly a retailer that would send samples to their customers at no charge and Vijay is a rare exception to this rule - a quality always appreciated. It is only fair that many of those samples result in a sale.

I got a sample of Quimbaya from Vijay as well and I must say that I find the female version of the fragrance well balanced, sophisticated and more enjoyable than the male counterpart. So though I would not purchage Quimbaya for myself, I nevertheless found an excellent gift for a close female friend, whose birthday is coming soon. Not bad for a free sample, don't you think? After all, that's what sampling is all about - discovering new things.

Just chiming in here...

I liked the Jean Pascal the most of the samples I have tried that I got from Vijay (take that, Montale!) I have yet to try the quimbaya (last one) I think I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Jean Pascal I liked a lot. I did have a disconcerting moment in the heart notes when it smelled distinctly like Aramis. I remembered thinking 'I *know* this..' and sniffing and resniffing until it came to me. Once it settle tothe base notes, the similarity was gone. But definitely nonlinear.

I haven't forgotten my promise to review, Vijay, but I do want to re-test before I post on the Montales. Sometimes my first wearing impression is not complete.

I looked on the web for Jean Pascal too, and while I found their website (www.jeanpascal.com) it was annoyingly useless. As far as I am aware, Vijay is exclusive on this. I was surprised to discover it was Colombian, with a name like Jean Pascal I would have guessed something else.

I also purchased a bottle of Quimbaya Homme from Vijay which arrived today. This is a good one folks--I'd recommend you try a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by radix023

I looked on the web for Jean Pascal too, and while I found their website (www.jeanpascal.com) it was annoyingly useless. As far as I am aware, Vijay is exclusive on this. I was surprised to discover it was Colombian, with a name like Jean Pascal I would have guessed something else.
    Thank you everyone for the compliments *. I do appreciate that.

Radix023 I am the only one that has Jean Pascal online. It is exclusive to my store. I am the distributor for this in the USA. I did launch it at a very high end Department store (I wont name that store) in 2002.

Pascal himself is not originally from Colombia, he is from Switzerland, but settled in Colombia. He is a very well known clothing designer there. His wife (beautiful) Helena Decaillet is Colombian, and designs the women's line under his banner. His youngest daughter Veronique just finished school in Milan for fashion designs and now has a lingerie line under his banner.

The cologne Jean Pascal was launched in 1980 I think, the design of the bottle has gone through 4 changes. Currently it comes in a hand stitched leather case. If you want to see a picture of it, it is on my web site .

Ballardbeau wrote a thread about this back in february I believe, which was hilarious, "Jean Pascal...A Review & a Fairy Tale!" Here is the link to that :

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1141187989 *

Quimbaya Pour Homme and Quimbaya Pour Femme were launched in 2002 and are doing great in Colombia and neighboring South American countries. *

Its too bad not a lot is known about this house in USA. *All his scents are good.

Just want to mention that Marlen Harrison just finished an interview with Jean Pascal also. This will be posted at Basenotes sometime in summer. This supposedly is the first bilingual interview in the history of Basenotes.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Vijay, do you have a link for your website?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    Vijay, do you have a link for your website?
    Sent you a PM knightowl

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"