Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Anybody else still looking for their Holy Grai

Antaeus here, no question.. That said, love spraying all my other stinks!! ;D :

Default Holy Grail

I have narrowed it down to vetivers.

Spent hours tracking down ten Adolfo Dominguez Vetyvers at 20 Euros for 3.4 oz. / 100ml , they don't take credit cards or Paypal, called their bank in Valencia to authorize check; they finally said they don't ship to USA - only *within Spain.

Contacted Karen at *[email protected] *for L'Aromarine Vetyver 3.4 oz. / 100 ml EdT and Mousse de Chene (Oakmoss) perfume extract *- *will have it next week.

Thank God I was at work or the whole day would have been wasted.

I think my holy grail at the moment is Bois farine. I just have to buy it :P

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    I think Chanel's Egoiste is so very close to being a holy grail for me.
    Art of Shaving Sandalwood is one that i've tested that deserves a full-bottle purchase, it's holy grail material for sure.

KO
    Well, i've had a big bottle of AoS Sandalwood for a while now, and i must say i truly love it. Definetly one of my holy grails! ;D
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Well, fragrance is a beautiful thing. To limit myself to A holy grail would be like limiting myself to one symphony, or one wine, or one spectacular view (I live in Montana and there is definately more than one terrific sight to see). It doesn't make sense to me to find A holy grail. I own about 125 fragrances. I think about 90 of them are wonderful. All different. I have some favorites, Patou's Colony and Shiseido's Nombre Noir are the ones I am most in awe of. But, I love the "surprise" of experiencing each one of them. For me enjoying fragrance is like any aesthetic experience. I am not looking for some one or few things that "fit" me. I just want to sit down and smell each one and experience its nuances and changes - very much like listening to a symphony. Such a pleasure to experience a fragrance composition.

You never find it, and that's the thrill of it all.

Hmm, holy grail ...I used to think I had it so I bought twenty bottles as it looked like it was going out of production, now it's in production again and my wardrobe is full but one dimensional. I have also discovered fifteen other scents I like as much.

I am still torn between wearing for me - "what do I want to smell today?" and wearing a signature "smell this and associate it with me". I'm veering for the former though...

Careful!
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

MPG's Santal Noble came close as being my holy grail, until I sampled some Parfumerie Generale scents. Now I have to start all over! and I don't mind!

I think I have found mine. I must try it out a bit more, I've only tried it twice, but no other frag has impressed like this... Kouros

I thought I was getting really close to a holy grail. Things had been narrowed down to Ambre Extrême, Ambre Précieux, and Ambre Sultan. Then I smelled Black Aoud by Montale. OMG! My world will never be the same again. I now have a bottle of this magical juice (Thanks Vijay!) and will really be putting it through the paces for awhile. Right now it is on top but I want to see how it holds up once the newness wears off. Needless to say, I highly recommend sampling this one.

It was Helmut Lang - Cuiron for a very long time, but then I discovered Comme des Garçons - Odeur 53 and found out that one could have two holy grails. Yet I wasn't satisfied and began to search for the third one and here I am, still searching...

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    It was Helmut Lang - Cuiron for a very long time, but then I discovered Comme des Garçons - Odeur 53 and found out that one could have two holy grails. Yet I wasn't satisfied and began to search for the third one and here I am, still searching...
    Wait till you smell the Montale samples that are on the way to you Shifts........yes they were mailed out today, I am sure one of them will strike your fancy .

I am with whitebar on the Black Oud by Montale, I think that will be my holy grail for a while , and then of course there will be another search for something new ;D. That is human nature I guess.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Holy Grail? For a moment I thought this was a discussion of "Da Vinci Code" film... Oh, the fragrance Holy Grail? Well, that's even more interesting.

Yes, I found it a few years ago - not particularly noticeable at first, but it peaked my interest enough to get a whole bottle. By itself it starts citrusy, crisp and fresh - a good, if not somewhat ordinary scent. And that's how it begins on my skin when I apply it. In about an hour it settles into something much warmer and intimate, blends with skin and becomes wonderfully sophisticated, unique and almost charming. It's hard to describe what it smells by then - like a really-really good body odor of someone who eats nothing but flowers (I know this sounds a bit bizarre.) By the end of the day the fragrance is still there, still holding up, though not as strong - by now it all about spring honeysuckle and fresh tobacco. It is a fragrance with surprisingly complex development for what it smells on a paper strip.

So am I happy now that I found it? Yes, I have a very special fragrance for all my important occasions. I always get complemented when I wear it, every time. On my third bottle by now. But it's not for every day use, only when I am looking forward the event, only when I want to be noticed. That's my very special fragrance.

xilonic

P.S. Oh, you want to know what it actually is? Yeah, right!

P.P.S. I still try a lot of samples (hey, want to get rid of yours? I'll take them all!) - the process of discovering new scents is plain addictive even if you already own something completely perfect. So far I have found a 90% Holy Grail and two 85% Holy Grails.

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky
    [quote author=shifts link=1146456420/30#40 date=1148514524]It was Helmut Lang - Cuiron for a very long time, but then I discovered Comme des Garçons - Odeur 53 and found out that one could have two holy grails. Yet I wasn't satisfied and began to search for the third one and here I am, still searching...
    Wait till you smell the Montale samples that are on the way to you Shifts........yes they were mailed out today, I am sure one of them will strike your fancy .

I am with whitebar on the Black Oud by Montale, I think that will be my holy grail for a while , and then of course there will be another search for something new ;D. That is human nature I guess.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"[/quote]

That sounds great Vijay! I actually thought about this when I posted my top 15-list earlier today

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    MPG's Santal Noble came close as being my holy grail, until I sampled some Parfumerie Generale scents. Now I have to start all over! *and I don't mind!
    These are Spectacular aren't they?

I think a TRUE "Holy Grail" scent would smell of elderberries and coconuts!