Code of Conduct

Default Anybody else still looking for their Holy Grail?

You know, when I first started with this little hobby of mine, I had grand visions of success. Perhaps after a few months of fragrance trying, buying and flying (sorry, had to have the last word rhyme despite its nonsensical use) I thought I would find my 'Holy Grail.' I'm assuming most people know what the Holy Grail of scents mean. If you don't, it means (according to me at least) the scent of your dreams. The scent that you'll wear forever, the signature scent that oozes of class, seduction and brilliance. A scent unique to you alone and to nobody else. Your signature fragrance that speaks to you. The Holy Grail of Scents!

But alas, I still haven't found mine. Upon looking at my growing collection of bottles, decants and samples, I realized that I still haven't found the scent that I could call my own. The fragrance that speaks my mind the most at the current moment is Millesime Imperial and Silver Mountain Water. They're both wonderful scents, both different yet both the same in terms of their 'house note.' But I would say they're still only 80% of what I want. I wanted that perfect scent and it's still out there. My quest continues.

After giving some thought however, I also realized that all this buying and trying is what keeps me going. All this cologne that I have in my bookshelf is a history of the trail I have made. This is why I still have this hobby, it is because I am continually looking for my Holy Grail, sniffing every scent for a surprise, good or bad. It's amazing just how complicating scents can be, and not just from the fragrance industry. There can be millions of combinations out there in the world, all waiting to be found. I know mine is still out there, it may take another couple of months, years or even (please no, please no...) decades. But in the meantime, I'll be loving every moment of my little hobby, talking to this wonderful community here about new things and old finds, going out for another round of fragrance testing and giving other people advice and maybe not so good advice ("Chris, this cologne smells like piss.&quot At one point I wondered if after finally finding my Holy Grail, would I still be as enthusiastic?

Well! Has anbody here found their Holy Grail? 8-)

-Chris

Default Re: Anybody else still looking for their Holy Grai

Nah, that ain't me. Ima heart breaka fo' life. I once too had misguided fanciful notions, but now the idea of marriage frightens me.

I found mine. It was Kiton - when I want perfect classiness without formality - this is my scent.

But that doesn't mean I wear it most of the time, or even a lot of the time *- why would I want to do that?

It would be like reading my perfect novel or seeing my perfect *movie, and saying that's all I'm ever going to read or watch one again.
    Renato

I have found mine. It is Tea for Two. I found out that I really like honey notes. It is a mysteriously smokey fragrance with amazingly romantic qualities and great for everyday use as well. Wears close to the skin but lasts forever on my skin. It is the only fragrance that I know of that I would give a perfect 10 to. It is my champion fragrance and I love it more than any other smell ever. I have never gotten tired of it and I never want to stop using it. It is the only frag that I shelled out $120 for. I got a full 3.4 oz bottle. It is the only one worth that amount of money to me. I am so happy with it. It is my Hold Grail.

EnvYuS

If I had to choose that sig. scent I would pick between Sculpture or Roma. They both smell so good and exotic, I can't make up my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    It would be like reading my perfect novel or seeing my perfect *movie, and saying that's all I'm ever going to read or watch again.
    Renato
    I could not said it better Renato.........LOL ;D being in the retail business if everyone thought like Chris21, of honing in one scent, that would put a big dent in my business.

Chris21 - if you still found your Holy Grail, I am sure you would still try other things to make sure you really got the real Holy Grail, you see that is human nature.
    I have a customer that buys Jaipur EDP from me, that is his Holy Grail. He still comes in and smells other scents. He has been coming to me for over 4 years. Once in awhile he buys other things, keeps going back to Jaipur, but comes back once a month to see if I have anything new that will replace his Jaipur.

EnVyus T42 is your Holy Grail but you still are a scent lover like me, and you are never ever going to stop trying other scents are you???

God I love this site. Thank you Grant........

Chris21 - A very good thread, I am sure you will get a lot of good responses to this.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

I am never done. I really like to test and retest everything. I have one that I am totally in love with for now. I am hoping to find another 2 or 3 that are so amazing that I would rate them perfect 10s.

I am an open person. I like to look around. I don't think I will ever give up.

EnvYuS

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    I am never done. I really like to test and retest everything. I have one that I am totally in love with for now. I am hoping to find another 2 or 3 that are so amazing that I would rate them perfect 10s.

I am an open person. I like to look around. I don't think I will ever give up.

EnvYuS
    Yeah wait till the Montale samples I sent ya....... . I am on a mission to find you those other two

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

This is a wonderful ode to fragrance and basenotes chris21 !

I think I found my holy grail six months ago! Actually earlier, but you cannot be sure before the first full wearing of your treasured love. As it is holy to me, I want to keep it on that altar. I could not have done with less than a full size bottle, but I use this cologne very rarely. I never want it connected with bad experiences, so it is not necessarily in public that I wear it (occasionally I do that, if I know the people I am going to meet, and the event is promising). As I feel it is a part of my inner self, I hesitate mentioning it. I also do not play and discuss my treasured CD much. It would nearly be like undressing in public, becoming extremely vulnerable, or ridiculous.
    I read that others feel similar about theirs, and it is a great feeling to share their love! Thanks for trusting your audience, guys!
    Second is a very popular cologne from another french (master) perfumery. I believed for a long time it would be my holy grail. I chased that one when I did not even know what it was, had just inhaled its sillage at a moment I was ready for adventure, and in mid town. It brought me here 1.5 years ago: Bois du Portugal. It has reached its peak of popularity within Basenotes now, I suppose. I tried all other Creeds on the way, and they are wonderful, but why have more than one of the same scent? I then learned that the hunt for fragrance, your own vision of it, the experiences you have on your way, are more rewarding than the trophy!

'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

This is a fantastic thread. I've been looking for my "Holy Grail" for a couple of years now, and since I've discovered Basenotes, part of me has worried that finding the "perfect" scent for me would spell the end of my pseudo-obsession with fragrance. It is nice to see that some (more experienced) members have found theirs and still retain their passion. That fact has made me even more excited to experience fragrances that I've not been exposed to yet (Malle and Montale, for example), without the worry that I'll find one that will cause this exciting honeymoon to end. Good luck in your own searches....

-Adam

I really don't believe in a "Holy Grail." I enjoy different frags and each affects me in a different way. I, as everyone else has mentioned, am loving the journey though.

Who knows, I might just find a frag that is "perfect" for me one day though....I'm not going to specifically look forward to it though.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    I have found "the one." I have many others that are just amazing and are in my regular rotation but the one i would choose if my life depended on it is Nicole Miller for Men. I have not come across anything quite like it and it seems to "fit" me.

However, it is not a great summer scent. It is a tad too rich and sweet for warmer days. If i had to choose an all-year "good for every occasion" scent, I would go with Dune. It's woody, airy, a little green, and not too sweet. IMO, you could not apply too much.
    For now...

i'm still searching for that really great scent that i feel fits my personality. i like trying different stuff of course and having a selection but i still want that one go to scent as well, and as of now i haven't found it :-/.

I think I take a slightly different approach. I look for my "holy grail" of a particular category, purpose, function, and/or season. Really though the journeys taken to find those is where the fun is, the challenge pushes me on, and it's actually somewhat bittersweet to find a holy grail, because it means at least that mini-journey is finished.

Then I remember that my tastes will forever change and evolve, and take my definition of what constitutes a "holy grail" with them, and the journeys will start anew. I see it all as a never-ending series of mini-journeys to find a whole bunch of holy grails for specific purposes or occasions.

Coincidentally, this works out very well for vendors!

At first, I thought that CdG 2 MAN was my Holy Grail, but I didn't find it versatile enough to be my HG over time. (I still love it, though.)

For a scent to be my Holy Grail, it will have to be comforting, it will have to fit my tastes, and it will have to be suitable for all-season wear.

Will I ever have one? Who knows. But I have a feeling that probably will be a scent that's currently on the market that I haven't sniffed yet.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    Coincidentally, this works out very well for vendors! *
    You are so right about that Rob .

A very good post though, from a friend's perspective, if I may call you my friend.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

There is no way I could ever like ANY scent enough to settle on it for life. I never wear one 2 days in a row!

Basenotes Plus

In the sense that one is my favorite, I would say Aramis Havana. In the sense of using it more than any other, I would say not. I usually rotate between 30-40 bottles, sometimes using another 10-20 bottles and decants. That leaves another 40-50 bottles and decants I do not use anymore. For me it is a constant process of getting better and better frags.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    In the sense that one is my favorite, I would say Aramis Havana. In the sense of using it more than any other, I would say not. I usually rotate between 30-40 bottles, sometimes using another 10-20 bottles and decants. That leaves another 40-50 bottles and decants I do not use anymore. For me it is a constant process of getting better and better frags.
    if you are ever looking to get rid of those cluttering 40-50 which have been cut from the team, you know my address ;D

Hey that's great! I'm glad many of you found yours, which is more than I expected. You know, I still have just scratched the surface when it comes to niche scents, meaning I have many visits to accomplish over the next couple of months. I just hope I don't go overboard with my money. (What?! My life savings is all gone?) I also hope I get tons of samples, I love samples, who doesn't love samples? Oh, and I also hope my Holy Grail doesn't end up costing me 300 dollars. My God, I think I'd go crazy, knowing that my grail is out there but I have to spend an obscene amount of money to get it. If that's the case, I'll just do the 'grab tester and run for your life' move. (kidding)

Cheers to the Holy Grail finders!

Quote Originally Posted by DrOfTheSoul
    I really don't believe in a "Holy Grail." I enjoy different frags and each affects me in a different way. I, as everyone else has mentioned, am loving the journey though.

Who knows, I might just find a frag that is "perfect" for me one day though....I'm not going to specifically look forward to it though.
    I don't believe there actually will ever be a Holy Grail fragrance for me. The joy is in the journey, and each new discovery has the potential of sending me to the moon and back. It's much easier to be childlike in one's opinion of good fragrances. Remember what it was like on Christmas morning when you saw the gifts under the tree? That's how I think of every fragrance I find. Sometimes when I open the gift, I only find a pair of socks, but every now and then there's a Rolex watch under that plain wrapping paper. I am always amazed, and never frustrated; the world of scent is far too vast for any one perfumer to come to the end of it. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Mine is somewhere within the triangle of D&G By Man, Boucheron Jaipur Homme and Chanel Egoiste.

I haven't found mine. I think it will take a while for me. At the moment I'm not that active with sampling. Just taking my time right now. I'm going to start exploring the creed house pretty soon and serge lutens. There are lots more I've did my research on that caught my eye, so pretty soon I will be gettn samples of them also

Great topic!

It really depends on your attitude and outlook towards life. Do you want to get married or to stay as a bachelor and have more fun? Some basenoters have found their true love, but chose not to get married so they are not tied down to that one scent.

As the saying goes, 'even the greatest love will fade away'. I believe its true, personally when I found a fragrance that I like, I am convinced that it is my holy grail. Months later, I just get tired of it and the search continues. Its been going on for years, this tedious quest for the grail.

I agree with MFfan, this holy-of-the-holy scent must feel comfortable, easy to wear and smells better on you than other people. There are many scents I love, but they are not comfortable to wear so they are all designated to become my air refresherner.

well, to me, the concept of holy grail doesn't really apply. i love many frags and have a favorite but what can be so right one time, can be so wrong another. so, for practical reasons, i prefer to lend the HG mark to any frag that it's just perfect for my moment and reality. see, what is here in this moment happening might be only an illusion of a preffered frag, when in reality the possibilities are endless.

After giving some thought however, I also realized that all this buying and trying is what keeps me going. *
    "The hunt" keeps us going, doesn't it? I mean, if we finally catch our ultimate "prey", then what? I THOUGHT I found my signature fragrance when I first sniffed Jaipur, until I realized it's drydown is too vanilla. And then I thought I found it when I first sniffed Burberry London, until I realized how sickening the smell of pears in honey can be. And I thought I found it when I tried Bulgari, and again when I tried Chanel's Allure... and Guerlain's Heritage... And now I am waiting for my sample of Nautica Voyage to arrive in the mail. *: I may never find my signature fragrance, but I will continue looking.
    Current favorites:

CH Men by Carolina Herrera
    Bogart Pour Homme
    Black Vines by Kerosene
    Piment Brulant by L’Artisan

I think Chanel's Egoiste is so very close to being a holy grail for me.
    Art of Shaving Sandalwood is one that i've tested that deserves a full-bottle purchase, it's holy grail material for sure.

KO
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

New to the board but definately not to frag. I have to vehemently agree with the guy who said Nicole Miller for men is the holy grail...at least for me. I got one bottle for a gift at age 16....wore it until about my junior year at college. MARVELOUS!! I had no problem wearing that in the hottest of heat in high school playing drums...hell, I think the uniform still smells of it. I'm 26 now, and I luckily stumbled across a couple of bottles and you couldn't pry them out of hands. It brought the ladies in like crazy too. One friend of mine, heck, you couldn't pry her off when I'd wear that fine scent. I don't know who's "brilliant" idea it was to discontinue it, but that was a blatant mistake, IMHO!

Hunting for it for about 20 years - in Hungary it was not always an easy task to find good scents. This week the first time in my life I have had the opportunity to try scents from two of the most discussed/esteemed houses: l'Artisan and LV. And immediately 12 from them Nine from Artisan, and three from LV. Among them Tea for two, Dzing, LV Musk, Piper Nigrum... Now my hands ar full with trails inside and outside I enjoy them and am very happy. They are really artistic stuff, this is the least I can say. But one thing (Dzing) is almost sure: none of them will be my Holy Grail. With a bunch of really-really high quality stuff I will have to search on. If there will be one of them I will buy, surely it will be LV Musk. Regarding this 30 C weather however, I'll have to give it somer more tries.
    The other one I can't decide about is L'Eau d'Artisan. I love the concept and this summertime is really refreshing, but I'm not sure if I would be able to love it for a longer time. I have one time no more than 2-3 frags, so it is a serious question for me.

Mine is somewhere between L'Instant and Gucci Homme -- at the moment. The quest continues. Nice thread guys! Mark
    Peace ~ Markymark

Antaeus here, no question.. That said, love spraying all my other stinks!! ;D :

Default Holy Grail

I have narrowed it down to vetivers.

Spent hours tracking down ten Adolfo Dominguez Vetyvers at 20 Euros for 3.4 oz. / 100ml , they don't take credit cards or Paypal, called their bank in Valencia to authorize check; they finally said they don't ship to USA - only *within Spain.

Contacted Karen at *kroy@milwpc.com *for L'Aromarine Vetyver 3.4 oz. / 100 ml EdT and Mousse de Chene (Oakmoss) perfume extract *- *will have it next week.

Thank God I was at work or the whole day would have been wasted.

I think my holy grail at the moment is Bois farine. I just have to buy it :P

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    I think Chanel's Egoiste is so very close to being a holy grail for me.
    Art of Shaving Sandalwood is one that i've tested that deserves a full-bottle purchase, it's holy grail material for sure.

KO
    Well, i've had a big bottle of AoS Sandalwood for a while now, and i must say i truly love it. Definetly one of my holy grails! ;D
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Well, fragrance is a beautiful thing. To limit myself to A holy grail would be like limiting myself to one symphony, or one wine, or one spectacular view (I live in Montana and there is definately more than one terrific sight to see). It doesn't make sense to me to find A holy grail. I own about 125 fragrances. I think about 90 of them are wonderful. All different. I have some favorites, Patou's Colony and Shiseido's Nombre Noir are the ones I am most in awe of. But, I love the "surprise" of experiencing each one of them. For me enjoying fragrance is like any aesthetic experience. I am not looking for some one or few things that "fit" me. I just want to sit down and smell each one and experience its nuances and changes - very much like listening to a symphony. Such a pleasure to experience a fragrance composition.

You never find it, and that's the thrill of it all.

Hmm, holy grail ...I used to think I had it so I bought twenty bottles as it looked like it was going out of production, now it's in production again and my wardrobe is full but one dimensional. I have also discovered fifteen other scents I like as much.

I am still torn between wearing for me - "what do I want to smell today?" and wearing a signature "smell this and associate it with me". I'm veering for the former though...

Careful!
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

MPG's Santal Noble came close as being my holy grail, until I sampled some Parfumerie Generale scents. Now I have to start all over! and I don't mind!

I think I have found mine. I must try it out a bit more, I've only tried it twice, but no other frag has impressed like this... Kouros

I thought I was getting really close to a holy grail. Things had been narrowed down to Ambre Extrême, Ambre Précieux, and Ambre Sultan. Then I smelled Black Aoud by Montale. OMG! My world will never be the same again. I now have a bottle of this magical juice (Thanks Vijay!) and will really be putting it through the paces for awhile. Right now it is on top but I want to see how it holds up once the newness wears off. Needless to say, I highly recommend sampling this one.

It was Helmut Lang - Cuiron for a very long time, but then I discovered Comme des Garçons - Odeur 53 and found out that one could have two holy grails. Yet I wasn't satisfied and began to search for the third one and here I am, still searching...

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    It was Helmut Lang - Cuiron for a very long time, but then I discovered Comme des Garçons - Odeur 53 and found out that one could have two holy grails. Yet I wasn't satisfied and began to search for the third one and here I am, still searching...
    Wait till you smell the Montale samples that are on the way to you Shifts........yes they were mailed out today, I am sure one of them will strike your fancy .

I am with whitebar on the Black Oud by Montale, I think that will be my holy grail for a while , and then of course there will be another search for something new ;D. That is human nature I guess.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Holy Grail? For a moment I thought this was a discussion of "Da Vinci Code" film... Oh, the fragrance Holy Grail? Well, that's even more interesting.

Yes, I found it a few years ago - not particularly noticeable at first, but it peaked my interest enough to get a whole bottle. By itself it starts citrusy, crisp and fresh - a good, if not somewhat ordinary scent. And that's how it begins on my skin when I apply it. In about an hour it settles into something much warmer and intimate, blends with skin and becomes wonderfully sophisticated, unique and almost charming. It's hard to describe what it smells by then - like a really-really good body odor of someone who eats nothing but flowers (I know this sounds a bit bizarre.) By the end of the day the fragrance is still there, still holding up, though not as strong - by now it all about spring honeysuckle and fresh tobacco. It is a fragrance with surprisingly complex development for what it smells on a paper strip.

So am I happy now that I found it? Yes, I have a very special fragrance for all my important occasions. I always get complemented when I wear it, every time. On my third bottle by now. But it's not for every day use, only when I am looking forward the event, only when I want to be noticed. That's my very special fragrance.

xilonic

P.S. Oh, you want to know what it actually is? Yeah, right!

P.P.S. I still try a lot of samples (hey, want to get rid of yours? I'll take them all!) - the process of discovering new scents is plain addictive even if you already own something completely perfect. So far I have found a 90% Holy Grail and two 85% Holy Grails.

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky
    [quote author=shifts link=1146456420/30#40 date=1148514524]It was Helmut Lang - Cuiron for a very long time, but then I discovered Comme des Garçons - Odeur 53 and found out that one could have two holy grails. Yet I wasn't satisfied and began to search for the third one and here I am, still searching...
    Wait till you smell the Montale samples that are on the way to you Shifts........yes they were mailed out today, I am sure one of them will strike your fancy .

I am with whitebar on the Black Oud by Montale, I think that will be my holy grail for a while , and then of course there will be another search for something new ;D. That is human nature I guess.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"[/quote]

That sounds great Vijay! I actually thought about this when I posted my top 15-list earlier today

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    MPG's Santal Noble came close as being my holy grail, until I sampled some Parfumerie Generale scents. Now I have to start all over! *and I don't mind!
    These are Spectacular aren't they?

I think a TRUE "Holy Grail" scent would smell of elderberries and coconuts!