Code of Conduct

Default First compliment! Rive Gauche!!

I got my first real compliment today!! I was wearing YSL Rive Gauche. However, the compliment wasn't from a female, but a man. A man who happens to be my boss!! It's fine though, I had a feeling he was going to pick up on my fragrance once I started wearing them (I have been keeping a low profile through the interview/applying process) -- He had a good smelling cologne on too, but I can't quite place it. He is French, so I got a feeling that his scent might not just be a generic common type. Anyways, he asked me the cologne, which I didn't mind sharing because his name is Laurent and I was wearing an Yves Saint Laurent. But I shared with him the particular fragrance, hope he doesn't copy me! Even if he does, it's cool, he's an awesome guy. He looks and has the accent of Antonio Banderas, although he is a French version. He might be in for a surprise if I start wearing a different scent everyday though.... ;D

Well, I have successfully merged the usual "compliment" and "Rive Gauche" stories into one. I guess mine was a little on the lame side; there was no biting or females throwing themselves onto me. Meh, hopefully mine will be memorable to someone.

Default Re: First compliment! Rive Gauche!!

Good story! Your boss sounds like a cool dude.

Chalk up another win for Rive Gauche...

It's so annoying that not a single store in the entire damn city sells this stuff! Of course I could just buy it online, but that whole process is a bit questionable. If anyone can tip me to stores that sell it that would be great because I feel like I've run out of possibilites. And Chris, way to go, I'm sure if you keep wearing the RG you will start to rack up the complies and maybe you will even one day have some stories to share about girls ripping off your clothes just to get a better whiff of the magical potion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giraffe
    It's so annoying that not a single store in the entire damn city sells this stuff! Of course I could just buy it online, but that whole process is a bit questionable. If anyone can tip me to stores that sell it that would be great because I feel like I've run out of possibilites. And Chris, way to go, I'm sure if you keep wearing the RG you will start to rack up the complies and maybe you will even one day have some stories to share about girls ripping off your clothes just to get a better whiff of the magical potion.
    What city do you live in? Rive Gauche is very hard to find in person. I've never seen it until I went into a small shop in San Francisco last week.

Have you been burned by buying online? I've had some really great experiences with certain online retailers, like Scentiments and Fragrancenet. Might want to give it a shot. I live in a city where the fragrance shop options are limited, so I order online almost exclusively. The prices are usually better online anyway.

Haha Chris, I am sure that if you keep wearing Rive Gauche you will receive a promotion from your boss! :

I just LOVE everything of this fragrance, the package, the bottle, the good-quality atomizer, and of course, the great juice! It is very yummy and has a "culinary" aroma in it.
    It's the only fragrance that makes me think it's so classy yet so modern at the same time. It's also perfect for both winter and summer it just feels so "comfortable". Some people here don't like it because they think it smells like "expensive soap". But I don't have this impression.

Anyway, it's so strange that you guys don't find RG in stores. Here(Italy) it's almost in every perfume shop, and doesn't even cost too much.

haha, I doubt this is the kind of job where I will receive a promotion. I didn't get the internship I was hoping for, but that was already a long shot (I didn't even fit the upperclassmen University qualification!), but my resume made it to the end and was still in the running for the _last_possible_spot. ;D

The boss does seem awesome though; maybe I can get him into fragrances, if he isn't already! Hopefully he isn't a lurker on this forum....that could be awkward tomorrow!! Oh and I'm not sure I want all those girls throwing themselves on me, they are all kind of young...and let's just leave it at that lol.

I think Rive Gauche is a great all-purpose fragrance, exactly what I was searching for. It probalby has something to do with the dryness aspect of it. It doesn't obtrude, but it makes it's presence known, in a good way. I fully understand the atomzier now too -- it really is a satisfying squirt!! It comes out of the can very, very nicely. I look forward to giving it a pump :P

And Giraffe, I don't think there is anything wrong with buying online, as that is where I acquired my Rive Gauche. However, there was an issue I was wary of when I was purchasing this fragrance because, apparently, they only recently re-released the 4.2oz (125ml) in the United States, so the ones from the e-tailers are most likely old stock. (which is still sold at retail price....) Anyways, best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyandco
    [quote author=The Giraffe link=1147912661/0#2 date=1147920266]It's so annoying that not a single store in the entire damn city sells this stuff! Of course I could just buy it online, but that whole process is a bit questionable. If anyone can tip me to stores that sell it that would be great because I feel like I've run out of possibilites. And Chris, way to go, I'm sure if you keep wearing the RG you will start to rack up the complies and maybe you will even one day have some stories to share about girls ripping off your clothes just to get a better whiff of the magical potion.
    What city do you live in? Rive Gauche is very hard to find in person. I've never seen it until I went into a small shop in San Francisco last week.

Have you been burned by buying online? I've had some really great experiences with certain online retailers, like Scentiments and Fragrancenet. Might want to give it a shot. I live in a city where the fragrance shop options are limited, so I order online almost exclusively. The prices are usually better online anyway.
    [/quote]

Hey, which shop in San Francisco had Rive Gauche? I wasn't able to find any there.

Well, suprisingly, even the YSL boutique in San Francisco didn't carry it the last time I
    was there. However, you can get it at Perfumania. They even have the Rive Gauche
    gift sets.

The one near me is in the Great Mall of the Bay Area (in Milpitas).

It's very widely available in the UK and also very cheap online and in airport duty free.

I would also strongly suggest that if you have the option of getting the giftset, which includes the shower gel, you MUST do it.

I've said a million times that if you like Rive Gauche, then the shower gel is a real treat. It has an even deeper quality than the EDT. Great dry lavender. It's very vivid smelling, slightly different than the EDT. Actually smells even better IMO. Layers very well- this is one fragrance I do sometimes layer.

Anyway, if you get the chance, grab one of the giftsets...cause the shower gel is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    I would also strongly suggest that if you have the option of getting the giftset, which includes the shower gel, you MUST do it.

I've said a million times that if you like Rive Gauche, then the shower gel is a real treat. *It has an even deeper quality than the EDT. Great dry lavender. It's very vivid smelling, slightly different than the EDT. *Actually smells even better IMO. *Layers very well- this is one fragrance I do sometimes layer.

Anyway, if you get the chance, grab one of the giftsets...cause the shower gel is amazing.
    Indie, have you ever tried RG intense?

I'm wondering if the shower gel is similar to that?
    I only own the intense version ( got in a swap here)
    Anyway, maybe I need to try out the regular version as well.

Quote Originally Posted by apoetic

Hey, which shop in San Francisco had Rive Gauche? I wasn't able to find any there.
    OK, I am going to do my best to describe the area where it was because I am not from San Francisco and it was my first time visiting the city when I saw the Rive Gauche in the shop. I don't remember the shop's name. I do know that the shop was in the area of (and when I say in the area of, I don't mean very far from at all) Teuscher Chocolates, Kate Spade, Hermes, and Armani. I remember I stopped in after I bought my chocolates, but I think it was after I passed Kate Spade. However, it was not on the same street as Kate Spade. I would say it was likely a cross street after Kate Spade, but very near the corner because I spotted it from the street Kate Spade is on. And it was before I got to Armani. So it is on a cross street of Grant Ave, near Kate Spade. I was walking toward the Nordstrom, so the Kate Spade and Armani were on my right and the perfume store was on my right on a cross street. The store carried all sorts of labels--Creed, Guerlain, etc. I wish I could remember the name of it. It was a small shop and carried only perfumes and empty perfume bottles. I believe the Rive Gauche was a little over $30, and I decided I would just order it online instead. Please let me know if you decide to try to find this place--I would love to know how my directions worked out for you!

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyandco
    [quote author=apoetic link=1147912661/0#6 date=1147935517]

OK, I am going to do my best to describe the area where it was because I am not from San Francisco and it was my first time visiting the city when I saw the Rive Gauche in the shop. I don't remember the shop's name. I do know that the shop was in the area of (and when I say in the area of, I don't mean very far from at all) Teuscher Chocolates, Kate Spade, Hermes, and Armani. I remember I stopped in after I bought my chocolates, but I think it was after I passed Kate Spade. However, it was not on the same street as Kate Spade. I would say it was likely a cross street after Kate Spade, but very near the corner because I spotted it from the street Kate Spade is on. And it was before I got to Armani. So it is on a cross street of Grant Ave, near Kate Spade. I was walking toward the Nordstrom, so the Kate Spade and Armani were on my right and the perfume store was on my right on a cross street. The store carried all sorts of labels--Creed, Guerlain, etc. I wish I could remember the name of it. It was a small shop and carried only perfumes and empty perfume bottles. I believe the Rive Gauche was a little over $30, and I decided I would just order it online instead. Please let me know if you decide to try to find this place--I would love to know how my directions worked out for you!
    [/quote]

Sounds like Jaqueline Perfumes very close to Union Square. I can't remember if it's on Geary street, but if not it's a block off. I'm too lazy to do a google search for it right now.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Congrats! I bought my Rive Gauche in the boutique. It just recently went into reproduction and that states has had it for about a month now.

Thrax

I got mine online, and even if it isnt the real stuff then I am still pleased with it.

This is what my lady friend at work told me about rive gauche: It drove her nuts! She said the scent is a little "wild." And I asked her "You mean, dirty?" She said yes! That's it! It makes her imagining naughty things everytime she smells it!

I finished my gai mattiolo(which I and she liked very much). After that Swiss Army and I was about to use my Lacoste PH and I asked her what she thought about the Lacoste and she told me she couldn't smell it on me(I sprayed and resprayed during the day)

So I told her I'll be using my Rive Gauche PH again! Oh yah, and she also liked the old 2002 formula(more potent and long lasting) Armani Mania Man, Biagiotti Roma, and Nikos Sculpture.

So I guess, back to my RG Homme next week!
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Hey Mr. Giraffe and other people, let us know what you think about RG as soon as you get it and test it ok? I am curious about if it satisfies you or deludes you after your high expectations.

I must also mention that RG Homme is not an outstanding or great fragrance. But something about it that makes the females think that it smelles "dirty" and "wild"
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.

To me it IS outstanding and great. And many of my friends (female or male) think so too.

It IS outstanding, compare it to most frangrances they create nowadays.

I was going to purchase this from frangrancenet.com. Anyone ever had any trouble with them. Is everything authentic?

Quote Originally Posted by abimanyu
    This is what my lady friend at work told me about rive gauche: It drove her nuts! She said the scent is a little "wild." And I asked her "You mean, dirty?" She said yes! That's it! It makes her imagining naughty things everytime she smells it!!
    my my what a workplace you have!

Did not want to create another RG thread, but what other frags are similar to RG?

Thanks
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Quote Originally Posted by Incedal
    Did not want to create another RG thread, but what other frags are similar to RG?

Thanks
    At least for me:

Azzaro PH and Givenchy Xeryus, actually if you mixed the two, they remind me of RG. Others say Black Jeans

Quote Originally Posted by Incedal

Thanks
    Incedal, check out Tuscany - the top notes are different but there is similarity in the mid and base notes. The pyramids confirm this. I have said before that Rive Gauche to me is loosely like the top notes of Armani Homme and the mid and base notes of Tuscany.

Hahaha, she's a close friend of mine and she told me that the smell makes her want to be near me!