Code of Conduct

Default Going to London - have a couple questions

Well, my job takes me to London next week. I've never been and I can't wait! I've heard so many great things about London, and there are so many places to visit. I read the London thread in the Shopping Guide section and there were plenty of suggestions there to weed through (though many of them over a year old). Beyond that, I had a couple questions...

First, what are the fragrance "must-sees" while in London? What should I absolutely not miss while I am there?

Second, where might I look for discontinued frags? I am especially interested in finding Patou PH and Patou PH Prive (long shot I know, but probably better odds than here in the midwestern US). Any ideas?

Thanks to all in advance!

Default Re: Going to London - have a couple questions

Shame you aren't going there in July - I'd just then aim you straight at the Harrods and Liberty sales. From memory, the various department stores had the Trumper and Blenheim lines going at pretty reasonable non-sale prices, compared to what they sell for overseas.

However, I wish I'd asked your question before I went there.
    Renato

Agree with Grant on Les Senteurs to see the ever effervescent James. James also mans the Caron concession in Fortnum and Mason on Friday's. Their perfumery is lovely and quiet and stocks some fabulous lines.

Roja Dove's Haute Parfumerie on the 5th floor at Harrods is not to be missed either, it's amazing.

Trumpers, Floris and a number of traditional gentleman's barbers are situated along Jermyn Street which is through the back door of Fortnums.

Penhaligons in Covent Garden for their flagship store, but for convenience you could visit their shop in the Burlington Arcade which is across Piccadilly from Fortnums. Round the corner from their, just up Old Bond Street in the Royal Arcade is Ormonde Jayne.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Besides the expert recommendation you already got, I also rec the Arabian Oud store on Oxford street ( I think it's beside Selfridges? ).
    They have many lovely things ( expensive however !) and the displays are very nice.
    The customer service is also good, although i didn't buy ( they offered to scent me with various things even though I said I didn't hold enough money at the point and they explained the notes and character of two that I liked well ). One silvery bottle with musk was very nice and I kinda regret i didn't buy...

You should definitely pay a visit to Miller Harris !

And smoke some good Cuban cigars at Dunhill, Davidoff etc. *[smiley=beer.gif]
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

The entire universe is based upon your ability to conclude the new idea which is the summoning forth of the new life into the new space.

Robyogi,

Roja Dove's Haute Parfumerie (5th floor on Harrods) is a must, you will not be sorry, it is probably the best perfume enclave in the world, it is a small opulent room hidden with the best of the best, in short full of treasures. While you're there ask to sample Roja's creations.

Liberty's on Regent street is a good starting point, it houses "Divine" creations in addition to the usual suspects like Creed, CDG & Keiko Mecheri.

Miller Harris 21 Bruton Street London W1J 6QD *(located off new bond street, take the tube to either bond street tube or green park station).

Ormonde Jayne 12 The Royal Arcade,28 Old Bond St, London, W1S 4SL
    020 7499 1100

Penhaligon's 16-17 Burlington Arcade, London, W1J 0PW
    020 7629 1416

Clive Chrisitian Clareville House, 26-27 Oxendon St, London, SW1Y 4EL
    020 7839 3434 or check out Fortnum & Mason's on Picadilly, they also stock Caron & Robert Piquet fragrances.

Jo Malone 150 Sloane St, London, SW1X 9BX
    020 7730 2100

L'Artisan Parfumeur 36 Marylebone High St, London, W1U 4QD
    020 7486 3435

Parfums De Nicolai 101a Fulham Rd, London, SW3 6RH
    020 7581 0922

Beauty Base Unit C3, Whiteleys Centre Queensway, London, W2 4YQ
    020 7229 5600

Diptyque 195 Westbourne Grove, London, W11 2SB
    020 7727 8673

Taylors of Old Bond Street, Czech & Speake & Floris on Jermyn street, check these out while you're visiting Trumpers, as they are located on the same street.

& also Harvey Nichols 109-125 Knightsbridge, London, SW1X 7RJ
    020 7235 5000, they stock Bond No.9 fragrances.

If you are looking for discontinued fragrances, you should be looking at ordinary chemist shops, you never know what might turn up.

Let your nose be your pilot

Magnnum has given you a most comprehensive list!

To that list I might add in Soho:
    Scent Systems
    11 newburgh street
    london w1f 7rw
    england
    +44 (0)20 743 411 66
    www.scent-systems.com
    For what appears to be some extraordinarily out of the mainstream scents.

And an umissable experience is to book a traditional wetshave at Trumper's in Curzon St. If you go there, don't forget to say hello to one of their managers, Gavin, who is a regular Basenoters.

Sante.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Scent Systems has actually closed down now. Hiram only has his on-line ordering.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Robyogi,
    check out the summary of my London-trip here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...m=1131534427/0

for some ideas.

MMM

Quote Originally Posted by magnnum
    Robyogi,

Roja Dove's Haute Parfumerie (5th floor on Harrods) is a must, you will not be sorry, it is probably the best perfume enclave in the world, it is a small opulent room hidden with the best of the best, in short full of treasures. While you're there ask to sample Roja's creations.

<snip>
    et al..
    What a fantastic list! * I'm going to print that out and save it as it will make an amazing day or two the next time I go.

I would strongly recommend going to Jo Malone... not so much as I like the scents so much (I think the quality has gone down after being purchased...) but because the store itself is so beautiful and perfect for a fragrance shop. *They staff is amazing and I get such a good feeling just going in it. *

Also, while you are visiting CS, etc over on Jermyn street go inside Fortnum and Mason, the historic "provisions" shop which is right there too on Jermyn Street (and Piccadilly). It is just truly and over the top retail experience that cannot be missed.

Wow...thank you all for this amazing list of suggestions. Tomorrow evening I am off to London! I can't wait to put these recommendations into action. I will try to get to them all (it sounds like Les Scenteurs, Roja Dove, and the traditional shops on Jermyn Street are absolute musts). So next week I'll be eating fish n chips, smoking Cubans, drinking scotch, and sniffin' (frags that is). Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    Wow...thank you all for this amazing list of suggestions. *Tomorrow evening I am off to London! *I can't wait to put these recommendations into action. *I will try to get to them all (it sounds like Les Scenteurs, Roja Dove, and the traditional shops on Jermyn Street are absolute musts). *So next week I'll be eating fish n chips, smoking Cubans, drinking scotch, and sniffin' (frags that is). *Thanks again. *
    Looks like a lot of things to check out Rob.

Have lots of fun , and let us know what you discovered, as far as stinky stuff I mean ;D.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Hi all,

I've returned from London and just wanted to check in with some thoughts on the trip's fragrant adventures.

Damn, there is a lot of ground to cover in London! The place is just awesome - so much to see and do, a week is just not enough (even less adequate is the slightly-less-than-two free days I had).

The highlight of the trip was visiting Les Senteurs. If you happen to find yourself in London, you must check this shop out. The folks there were friendly, knowledgeable, and willing to discuss fragrance. They also left me to my own devices to sample whatever I wanted for as long as I wanted. Plus, they know and respect Basenotes! It was truly a great experience. They even provided some freshly-decanted free samples. Their selection is incredible - Malle, Creed, Lutens, Goutal, MPG, Different Company, Mona di Orio, Piver, Caron, Knize Ten - too many to list. The highlight, IMO, was Mona di Orio's Lux. If you get the chance to try this one, it's a must.

Another high point was visiting Miller Harris. Again, I found friendly service with no pretention. I also found...more free samples! Highlights from their line I feel are: Feuilles de Tabac and Cuir d'Oranger, at least for us guys. For women, I was also impressed by Coeur de Fleur, Coeur de Ete, Fleur Oriental, and Geranium Bourbon. I found the birthday gift for my mother here (CdF, which I promptly bought from Vijay upon arriving home - thanks maisonstinky!).

Another amazing shop is Roja Dove's Haute Perfumery. In addition to Creed, Caron, Lalique, Hermes, they also had Clive Christian, The Different Company, and the Caron fountains, and of course, Roja Dove's scents. All are amazing, but I left feeling a little disappointed as they were frankly, a bit snooty. I was even admonished for spraying a tester on the card they provided. Their opinion was that they had sprayed the card earlier in the day and I should not spray it again, since all I would get are topnotes. Something about only smelling the late-day remnants of the basenotes just didn't cut it for me. Still, a great collection and I finally got to sniff Clive Christian and Different Company scents. Oh yeah, and it's in Harrod's, which is an unreal - surreal really - shopping experience.

I had no luck finding Patou PH or PH Prive...better luck next time I guess.

That's as far as I made it! Next time I will have to make it to Jermyn Street, as well as Fortnum & Mason.

London is incredible! Thanks again to all who provided advice.

Robyogi,
    Fantastic post on your scent adventures in London. It's always a pleasure reading a member's journey between scents and scent emporiums. Would be great if we all lived in cities with resources like that, no? Incredible stuff.

Your post reminds me that I want to get myself a new scent present soon.

Thanks very much for telling us how it went.
    Later,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi

Another amazing shop is Roja Dove's Haute Perfumery. *In addition to Creed, Caron, Lalique, Hermes, they also had Clive Christian, The Different Company, and the Caron fountains, and of course, Roja Dove's scents. *All are amazing, but I left feeling a little disappointed as they were frankly, a bit snooty. *I was even admonished for spraying a tester on the card they provided. *Their opinion was that they had sprayed the card earlier in the day and I should not spray it again, since all I would get are topnotes. *Something about only smelling the late-day remnants of the basenotes just didn't cut it for me. *Still, a great collection and I finally got to sniff Clive Christian and Different Company scents. *Oh yeah, and it's in Harrod's, which is an unreal - surreal really - shopping experience. *
    When I last visited, there was this unrefined chap wearing a black shirt, who seemed not very happy to be of service to me, after a short while I asked him if he was comfortable serving me & he said he was, I further mentioned that if he wasn't comfortable he should just say so (after all he doesn't own the bloody store), all of a sudden he started to become nice to me (forcibly of course), he then asked me if I wanted to be on the mailing list & so on & so forth, I was tempted to call him a cheeky weasel. Believe me Robyogi, I know how you felt... I'm glad you enjoyed London BTW...
    Let your nose be your pilot