Code of Conduct

Default smokey, incensey wood

i just got Gucci Pour Homme. ╩LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.

i went to a club yesterday and had many compliments. ╩the best one though was 'yeah, i like it because it stands out from all these acqua di gio guys. ╩it smells like style and class, and not like high school and abercrombie'

i wanna try other woody scents out (besides CDG2 Man, Visit and Rush). ╩woody with smoke and incense, but zero sweetness (like the sweetness in M7). clean but dark. ╩

what are some others you like?

Default Re: smokey, incensey wood

8) I think Cuiron has a a dark, incense, smoke and tobacco 'air.' NU edp is heavy on incense and woods.

Sample all five of the CdG Incense series. I like Ourazaztate, Jaisalmer and Kyoto the best.

I agree with the CdG Incense line but I think Avignon has the strongest "incense" scent. Sampled all 5 and that one is by far my favorite.

Ladylonestar

I second 10 Corso Como.

L'Artisan L'eau Du Navigateur would be a good one to try, if you can get your hands on it. Dark, however there is no incense in it and it does smell a little sweet--but you shouldn't let that disuade you: there's enough going on with this fragrance of smoke, wood, and coffee that it's still in my top five after having sampled probably close to 500 other scents since its purchase.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Serpent

Well, there's always good ol' Black Cashmere. If the ignominy of wearing Donna Karan - or taking a trip to the women's counter - is too much to bear, you can escape the shame by ponying a whole lot more money to smell exactly the same with either Costes by Hotel Costes or 10 Corso Como. They both have that same smoky wood quality with a good smattering of incense thrown in.

Try Timbukty by l'Artisan Parfumeur.
    It has lots of wood and incense, and is very dry. I think it's a great scent that lasts quite long.

Gerrit

Quote Originally Posted by baron
    Sample all five of the CdG Incense series. I like Ourazaztate, Jaisalmer and Kyoto the best.

I'm with you, Baron. ╩Those are my three favorites of the Incense series. ╩Zagorsk has a fake pine scent and Avignon is fake frankincense. ╩Plus, Avignon is very short-lived. ╩At least on me. ╩

I LOVE Gucci ph, too. Niche quality at designer prices. That's A-OK with me. ╩

Overcome By Fumes

Trussardi Uomo and Balenciaga Portos (sadly both discontinued) give a good leather/wood/incense feel that is not sweet but very classy and mature.

Quote Originally Posted by GCS
    Try Timbukty by l'Artisan Parfumeur.
    It has lots of wood and incense, and is very dry. I think it's a great scent that lasts quite long.

Gerrit
    ive smelled timbuktu. i could't get over the 'dirtyness.' like i like woods and smoke and incense but not that much. i got kind of dizzy smelling it.

Black Cashmere, L'eau Du Navigateur and CdG Kyoto are all great recommendations.

Two great smokers (with zero sweetness) I'll have to add are Moschino Men and Hermes Bel Ami: Moschino leans more to incense whereas Bel Ami more to woods ... both are loaded with smoke.
    ..."net", not "naut".

Bois de Encens By Armani Privee'.....Pure incense, very spiritual scent.

nearfantastica

If you like Gucci, you might try these other designer frags <sorry, I know little about Niche scents>... They might have similar appeal to Gucci, but be different enough to merit having in your collection.. why would you need five Gucci clones..right?

M7
    Visit
    Nemo
    L'instant de Guerlain

The aforementioned frags have a masculine non-aquatic feel to them that should be right up your alley..without falling into that dreaded "stinky old man scent" category...

a.

Christian Lacroix - Tumulte pour Homme

If you like Gucci PH, you will really like Miller Harris' En Sens de Bois.

Second Black Cashmere. Not at all feminine in my mind (in fact my gf said she would not wear it).

Also, Montale's Greyland is a good option in the same vein.

I personally was not as impressed with what I smelled of the CdG line. :-/

Hey Shifts, funny you mention Tumulte, I won a bottle on Ebay and I have to admit I am not a big fan. The list of ingredients reads...cedar, cedar and more cedar but I hate to disagree ... I don't smell that. I got out my bottles of Atlas Cedar oil and Virginia as well as Texas Cedar oils. Oh, there might be a little cedar in there but mostly it's Iso E-super. You can tell because there is a slightly sour smell when you first get a whiff of the fragrance, like dill pickles or something. I don't smell any incense at all but once it warms up, the sandlewoody aroma kicks in. I am going to have to trade this one away....(sigh)

Quote Originally Posted by musclegod007
    Bois de Encens By Armani Privee'.....Pure incense, very spiritual scent.
    This is probably the best of the bunch, as far as a really incense-y fragrance is concerned. If you want a strong, ashen, burnt wood smell, then go with Norma Kamali 'Incense,' a truly death-defying fragrance with NO sweetness at all. It reminds me of unanswered prayers, hopeless situations, impending doom, pain, and blackness. Try it at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    Hey Shifts, funny you mention Tumulte, I won a bottle on Ebay and I have to admit I am not a big fan. The list of ingredients reads...cedar, cedar and more cedar but I hate to disagree ... I don't smell that. I got out my bottles of Atlas Cedar oil and Virginia as well as Texas Cedar oils. Oh, there might be a little cedar in there but mostly it's Iso E-super. You can tell because there is a slightly sour smell when you first get a whiff of the fragrance, like dill pickles or something. I don't smell any incense at all but once it warms up, the sandlewoody aroma kicks in. I am going to have to trade this one away....(sigh)
    If you have a bottle of Kyoto you don't really have to own Tumulte and vice versa. I love it, so soft. Hardly ever wear it though. I hardly ever wear any wood or incense scents actually. I love them on my skin, but they never do it for me out in the open. Lacroix is one of the safest ones there are, but I can't compare it to Iso E-super since I haven't smelled it yet. Love.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD
    If you want a strong, ashen, burnt wood smell, then go with Norma Kamali 'Incense,' a truly death-defying fragrance with NO sweetness at all. *It reminds me of unanswered prayers, hopeless situations, impending doom, pain, and blackness. *Try it at your own risk.
    I agree 110%.

Great review about Norma Kamali, MikeD!!!

Shifts, you are so right. I had a sample of Kyoto but gave it away because it reminded me of something...guess it was Tumulte! All this time and I didn't figure it out.

Thanks

Tumulte - smells so masculine, yet so pretty.

Lots of pepper, cedar, incense and geranium. A real keeper not to mention the bottle which is stunning!

Don't forget Dior Bois Noire as well as Tommy Bahama.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Maţtre Parrfumeur et Gantier makes one called Eau des ╬les. Woody, smoky, and definitely not sweet. Try it if you get a chance.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cŠlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Ś Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    ŚSeneca

What timing!!!
    I bought Nemo; Visit AND Gucci PH the afternoon this thread was started.

Ive only had them for 3 days, but my early estimation is that Gucci is the best of the lot.
    Visit is slightly softer and Nemo is a bit sweeter, but they are all fantastic!!! *Right down my alley.

Good estimations, rompip!

They're exactly as you predict.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Smokey, incensey wood? Basala!

Blog Entries

What about my own Monk? It's smoky and incensey with a hint of cocoa.

www.storeraromatics.com

Mike, perfumer in L.A.
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com

MONTALE GREYLAND should fit the bill nicely. I know Im getting a bottle from Vijay the day after payday...