Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default Similar Fragrances

On the thread about inexpensive fragrances I mentioned Lynx/AXE Africa as a nice cheapie. I resampled it today and it is EXACTLY like Minotaure, they must have ripped it right off. Anyways this got me thinking about similarities and clones in the world of male fragrance. There is obviously some stuff out there that is quite similar or even sheer plagiarism. Please guys share your thoughts on this! My most noticeable ones are:

Mont Blanc Individuel: Carbon copy of Joop!

Gucci PH & Lagerfeld Man: ultra similar

CK One & Paco by Paco Rabanne: same fragrance, different bottles, same case with Versace Jeans Couture and Emporio Armani White. This also goes for Cuiron and Jean Luc Amsler PrivŽ.

Allure & Jil Sander for Men: very similar with the latter being just a little lighter

Gucci Rush & Azzaro Visit:same woodsy character

There are also tons of copies of the first Tommy Hilfiger, Clinique Happy being one

So please, what are your thoughts and suggestions in this matter?

/m Ê

Maximillian

Default Re: Similar Fragrances

Obsession and Paul Sebastian for Men comes to mind instantly.

Angel Men and Animale Animale, kind of similiar but not quite. Whereas Angel men has more spice, A A has more sweet to it. I like both. Gotta to get some A A again.

Mando (I'm BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like you didn't know I was Max all along)

Welcome back pal, I kind of suspected your alter ego, the warddrobe was just a tad to similar...

Have«nt checked out Paul Sebastian but since I«m super-pleased with Obsession I really do«nt need to!

Keep em answers coming little dudes!

Well, this is old hat, but D&G pour homme and Versace Dreamer are really,really similar. I was gonna get D&G eventually, but I found Dreamer at Marshall's for $15 so I don't need both. And now everyone's saying the new Dunhill smells like both of them. I'll have to see.

Also I was trying to use up a bottle of PI shampoo I got really cheap (never bothered to get the EDT- too cloying) and I noticed it bore a resemblance to the YSL Body Kouros shower gel( which may just be my #1 favorite).

Yes, it's Russian, made by Novaya Zarya. If I recall correctly, Al likes it more than Amen and says it doesn't have this "piss" note that Amen has on a drydown.

Maximillian

Piss note, yuck. I don't get that at all on me.

Sometimes it's just the skin chemistry of the individual that makes a scent bad on them but not for all.

Too bad. I love A*Men.

Thanks for info, Rus

Mando

Default Re:  Similar Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Well, this is old hat, but D&G pour homme and Versace Dreamer are really,really similar. Ê
    Sorry, don't agree. To me they are VERY different...

A*Men and Russian "Joonkerski No. 3" are identical.

Maximillian

Default Re: ÊSimilar Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by Russlan

A*Men and Russian "Joonkerski No. 3" are identical. Ê
    "Joonerski no. 3" this must be only available in Russia, right?

I love A*Men, bet I would love this one too.

Mando

Oh and YSL Rive Gauche is exactly like AXE/Lynx Oriental, no difference whatsoever.

Are there no more suggestions on this topic?
    /m

GnuGnuAntiloop

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt
    Gucci PH & Lagerfeld Man: ultra similar

Allure & Jil Sander for Men: very similar with the latter being just a little lighter
    Matt,

how interesting that you find Gph to be ultra similar to Lagerfeld man! They are both spicy, woody and ambery, but IMO they are only slightly similar to each other. Lagerfeld Man has a very distinctive and strange "fresh ironed shirt"-accord, which dominates the whole scent (and smells almost like a rusty metal). I don't detect this note in Gph, which in turn is very rich in leather. If Lagerfeld Man has leather in it it's undetectable to my nose. I also think these two scents are pretty different in their character. Gucci pour homme is smoot, "close to one«s skin" fragrance - Lagerfeld man almost slaps my face and stays heady.

I also don't quite understand your comparison between Allure and Jil Sander for men. IMO Allure is closer to let's say Lalique pour homme Le Faune or Intuition than Sander for men, which in turn reminds me a lot of Lalique pour homme Equus. We must have pretty different kind of skin chemistry!

By commenting your opinions Matt, I don't mean to say anything like "your nose is wrong, mine is right"! I only want to point out, how much our olfactory experiences differ - that's all! This is a very good thread - thanks for bringing it up!

-Tero-

Hi Tero, Lagerfeld and PH both do NOT develop on me much. They share according to the pyramids amber and wood, but to my nose there is a heavy pepper in the start of Lagerfeld too. It«s just the way the wood is incorporated in these to that makes unable to differentiate them much.

In the case of Jil and Allure it«s really about the heart- and basenotes, in the beginning I don«t notice many similarities. On the drydow though the shared characteristics start to appear. First comes a mutual very noticeable burst of pepper which later settles down to cedarwood in both scents.

Of course our olfactory senses differ hugely and above all so does our skin chemistry. Anyway I do think this is an interesting topic since everything starts to get more and more neutral, it«s cool to here what features are shared by the good and the crappy fragrances.

/m

Cool water and Floris(jf) are amazingly alike.Cool water is as common as dirt and thusly has no snob appeal.I think I like Cool Water better though.I am obviously uncouth.
    Philosykos and Vetiver(Guerlain) are also alot alike.The Dyptique has more coconut and lasts longer to me.
    I think Minotaure and Lolita Lempicka au Masculin are very similar.Anyone esle think that?
    A propos of Minotaure why was it discontinued?
    Au Revoir,Roland.

These three all smell very similar to me:

Drakkar Noir (Guy Laroche 1982)
    Nobile (Gucci 1988)
    Tsar (Van Cleef & Arpels 1989)

The first two, in particular are virtually indentical to my nose. ÊMy gf says I'm nuts though, so maybe not!

My two cents.

Navegar Artisan = Preparation Parfumee by Andree Putmann

Philosykos Diptyque = Le Premier Figuer Artisan

Tuberosa Polianthes FRESH = Aquatail by 4 C
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman

Nobile (Gucci 1988)

The first two, in particular are virtually indentical to my nose. ÊMy gf says I'm nuts though, so maybe not!
    Drakkar and Nobile don't seem similar to me at all except: can't stand either, especially the Drakkar Noir, which reminds me of Old Spice.

When I tried Obsession it reminded me immediately of Lagerfeld. After a while though I did notice a crucial difference. Drying down the Obsession became annoying and I washed it off.

bleu

Paul Sebastian = Old Spice
    Desire = Allure = Very Valentino
    Michael = Ocean Pacific
    Mont*Blanc Presence = Ja•pur EDP
    Tiffany for men = Chanel Pour Monsieur ConcentrŽe
    Chanel Pour Monsieur (original) = Eau d'Herms
    Paul Smith for Men = Truth Calvin Klein Men
    Darkness = World Extention
    Egoiste Platinum = Tiffany Sport

To add a new pair of twins, unexpected as well.
    On my sampling round today I discovered Lagerfeld Man and Eau de Cartier Concentree are super-similar. Cartier just has more citrus but apart from that- the same.
    /m

Quote Originally Posted by roly94
    I think Minotaure and Lolita Lempicka au Masculin are very similar.Anyone esle think that?
    Sorry, Roland, I don't get that at all with my skin chemistry. On me, Lolita Lempicka is an anise bomb, whereas the orange/citrus and vanilla dominate in Minotaure. However, it's probably just me, as many have said that Minotaure is sweet and spicy. I get sweet, but very little spice. Yes, a certain incense (?) note develops after a short period of time with Minotaure, but it's very muted compared to the creamy vanilla and wood notes.

Body Kouros is my favorite scent, but I find Body Kouros and Cuba Gold to be similar. You can probably find both on the cheap now, but with the Gold going for three bucks or something like that at Scentiments you can't beat it, even with Body Kouros on sale.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman

Nobile (Gucci 1988)

Sorry Coleman, I'll have to agree with your girlfriend on Nobile + Drakkar smelling similar. Maybe on the top notes, but even then I recall Drakkar being a bit more chemically/sharp woodsy than Nobile. On the other hand, the last time I used Drakkar was '92. I'm going to mix some up this week and I'll test it out!

I don't know what Tsar smells like so I have nada to say re: Tsar.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

While there definitely is a resemblance between between Nobile and Drakkar I have to say the Gucci is far superior and more complex.

Another two I find very alike are Muglers Cologne and miracle Aquatonic, they both smell freshly cut grass with some citrus, nice.

/m

While there definitely is a resemblance between between Nobile and Drakkar I have to say the Gucci is far superior and more complex.

Another two I find very alike are Muglers Cologne and miracle Aquatonic, they both smell freshly cut grass with some citrus, nice.

/m
    I'm in total agreement with both of your statements.

Default Re: ÊSimilar Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by Russlan

Sorry, don't agree. To me they are VERY different...

A*Men and Russian "Joonkerski No. 3" are identical. Ê
    I can't detect any similarity between D&G Homme and Dreamer either.
    Nor would I ever think Individuel is a carbon copy of Joop - in anyway.
    The only pair I can't tell apart is Michael Jordan Cologne and Pasha de Cartier.
    Renato

Similar,in my opinion:

Gucci Pour Homme - Lui by Rochas
    Armani Mania - Herrera 212
    Lynx Oriental - Opium
    Diesel Plus Plus - Minotaure.

My own personal faves,by the way,are Gucci PH,Gucci Envy,Emporio Armani,JPG Le Male,Xeryus Rouge and Fahrenheit.Any suggestions for me to try?

Found some new ones to this oldie...

The blue Tabac Sport is super-similar to Lagerfeld Man

Actually there is a huge resemblance between Platinum Ego•ste and Hugo, just smell if you don«t believe me!

Body Kouros is like the lovechild of Visit and Rush

/m

Maximillian

Matt your back! Where you've been?

Mando

To Holland and Finland actually, missed the boards for sure!
    No thought on this subject Mando, or anyone else?
    /m

Van Gils Basic Instinct is a copy of Acqua di Gio.

Mic.

So true, so true!

Is «nt Between Sheets and Roma also very similar?
    /m

There are also tons of copies of the first Tommy Hilfiger, Clinique Happy being one
    Tommy and Happy are not alike at all. ÊTommy is far lighter, crisper, and cooler. ÊHappy is warm, fragrant, and very orangey off the start.

Atinay, to each nose his own 8)
    To me they both smell equally citrussy (shitloads of yuzu for sure), aquatic, light and horrible. I agree Happy is somewhat more orangey though. Dunno with the rest of you guys but the stuff that generally comes out nowadays is getting harder and harder to tell apart. I think before houses would«nt really launch something unless it had some character. Now like with everything else it«s only about money. The thing I really believe in though is that serious development and work can pay off big time, Look at Le Male-very original and Gaultiers only male scent-top seller in all of Europe yyear after year -surely a fantastic investment and set to rape all annual CK -crap launches forever!

m

My Moschino Uomo?/212 experience fits nicely in here.
    To the ultra similar Emporio White and VersaceJC i must now also add Davidoff Echo which particularly echoes E A White!

More clones?

/m Ê

Found two more set of perfect twins:

Austin Reed for men- Carbon copy of Allure

Platinum Ego•ste - Exactly like Decleor«s Un Air D«Java

More Clones????

/m

Minotaure = Dunhill Desire Red (well very similar) = Diesel Plus Plus

My flatmate at the time couldn't tell tham apart! I could but a great deal in common.

Yeah they«re all quite heavy on vanilla are«nt they?

Yeah and also, I might have mentioned it earlier, Sud Est and Photo are super similar!

/m

blue_stratos

Some more twins:

Bulgari pour Homme & Bois de Filao Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Rive Gauche YSL & Azzaro pour Homme

Agua de Loewe & Eau D Issey Miyake

Royal Bain de Champagne by Caron & Flower by Kenzo
    (both supposed to be multigender fragrances, but I doubt about "Flower&quot

cool water = git

For me, I found that Linx/Axe ( axe over here ) Africa is VERY similar to Givenchy - Pi.

Axe Africa also is very similar to Axe Kilo... But I havn't been able to find Kilo in Europe.

Creed Bois du Portugal and Nicolai New York
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Gucci Pour Homme and Cuiron

Claiborn Sport (1997) and Dali Le Roy Soliel (1998).

So very similar, except that the Dali has a bit more depth, less of a synthetic feel and removes a nasty note that was lurking somewhere there in Sport. I was surprised to see that the Claiborn came out BEFORE the Dali ... had always assumed it must have been the other way around.

Regards,
    Dan
    ..."net", not "naut".

I'd also say Gucci Pour Homme = LV Piper

I think that Drakkar Noir and Francesco Smalto smell extremely similar...

Also, Spark by Claiborne and Pi by Givenchy smell very similar to me

On my first wear of Ungaro III it reminds me a lot of Good Life

Quote Originally Posted by ironmics
    On my first wear of Ungaro III it reminds me a lot of Good Life

THE PAIN!

It burns!!! :'(

I'll bite the fragrance game!

Gendarme and TM's Cologne are very similar to me, but I really prefer Cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by IPaidForThisName

THE PAIN!

It burns!!! Ê:'(
    Haha but I like Good Life

BTW has anyone tried Austin Reed for men?
    It«s such an obvious attempt to copy Allure, a successful one if looking for total similarity.
    Also I get the feeling that Dunhill Edition (lovely btw) must have some counterpart out there?

/m

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    When sampling in the city today I came to the conclusion that CK Crave and Escape are also very similar-equally horribl to IMO...

/m

Is it just me or does Lorenzo Villoresi Musk and Caron«s Royal Bain de Champagne have a LOT in common???

/mmm

Ungaro II's dry down is very, very similar to Jacomo de Jacomo's!

Why So Serious?

To me, Axe phoenix smells like a cheap version of Calvin Klein Escape.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

I tested Comme de Garcons 2 yesterday and thought somebody has filled the bottle with Gucci pour Homme.

Even the lady at the counter noticed the similarities.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Dreamer, D&G ph, The new dunhill and D&G by all smell the same

Creed Smw = CK one

ÊRomeo gigli=Varon Dandy
    ÊEau du Sud=Eau sauvage
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

For those that like Caron 'Pour Un Homme'...You may also want to try Molinard Les Senteurs 'Patchouli' (very similar). I also think Burberry 'Touch' smells a lot like Christian Dior 'Fahrenheit'...only a little lighter.

Larry 8)

Creed's Green Valley reminds me a lot of Fahrenheit as well.

Herrera for men at times is like SMW.

There's also a connection between Himalaya and the older Montana pour Homme (red packaging).

Montana is also similar to Havana Reserva by Aramis.

BUT: If some might think Himalaya then is like Havana: No way!! Completely different. Strange fragrance world ...
    :-/
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by ls.ten.eleven
    For those that like Caron 'Pour Un Homme'...You may also want to try Molinard Les Senteurs 'Patchouli' (very similar).
    Larry 8)
    Larry the great is back posting on occasion! Glad to have you, but on this post I must strenuously disagree. I have both Pour Un Homme and Les Senteurs Patchouli, and while I am not going to call my friend a madman, I can't see how they're alike in any way no how.
    Keep on sprayin', sniffin', and postin'!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

This is another one of my trashy posts. I feel the urge to draw a parallel between Beleaf by The Body Shop and Felce Azzurra, which is a widely known (in Italy) line of bath/body care products.

The two entities smell practically the same.