Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default Re: Similar Fragrances

Versace Dreamer and Salvador Dali's Laguna smell virtually the same!! Laguna's just a little more "salty" smelling.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I've been meaning to post on this, as it struck me after smelling the drydown of BLV notte, and trying to figure it out for some time, that it = Laguna to me; if not exactly then maybe Laguna's just a tiny bit sweeter. BLV notte is deeper and evokes the same thing better.

I don't disagree with maybe some similarities with Dreamer as well though that never struck me.

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I did a side by side sniff of Himalaya and Paco XS and the resemblance is uncanny. I DO think that the Creed is slightly more pleasant and subtle, however the similarity was just to noticeable to pay more than 3 times more for the latter.

/mmm

I hate to say it, and it took me about 20 years to realize it, but Obsession for Men is really really similar to the discontinued Mark Cross cologne.

Now, as much as I do love Obsession, the Mark Cross cologne was more focused and absolutely brilliant. Obsession, Macassar and Mark Cross are my three favorite orientals from the Eighties. Please someone make Mark Cross come back!

Glad to have you, but on this post I must strenuously disagree. I have both Pour Un Homme and Les Senteurs Patchouli, and while I am not going to call my friend a madman, I can't see how they're alike in any way no how

Well...disagree if you must. : I've been wearing them both interchangeably for the last couple months. Their drydown's are very similar. They both smell kinda vanilla-ish and 'play-doh-y' at the end of the day...yum-yum-m-m-m! 8)

Larry

Middle notes of Eau Sauvage and Taylor of London - English Lavender.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

While sampling today I discovered that Clarins Eau Dynamisante is a carbon copy of Eau Sauvage, even shorter longevity though (if that«s possible...).

/mmm

Post Thanks / Like

Well found yet another "connection" today:
    Bvlgari«s Eau ParfumŽe au ThŽ Verte Extreme and Cartier«s
    Declaration are super similar, except for the loud cumin in the latter.

/mmm

More twins?

Post Thanks / Like

Sniffing my new ST Dupont Signature and I«m realizing it is actually very similar to Azzaro«s visit. They both are heavily focused on pepper, incense and woods. The only noteable difference that I can pick up on is a tad vanilla in the base of Signature and somewhat lesser potency. Otherwise these 2 are practically identical.

/mmm

Post Thanks / Like

Creed's Orange Spice is very very close to Yves Saint Laurent's Kouros. Orange Spice is a bit better of course. : ;D
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

Post Thanks / Like

Just tried Clive Christian: X for men - similar to Creed's Cypres Musc IMO

Boucheron pour Homme - similar to Geoffrey Been's Bowling Green
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

Cinema = Chanel Chance = a number of other (white) florals harking back to numberless classics... (Diorissimo, etc...)

Post Thanks / Like

chic for men similar creed new tabarome
    Touch for men Burberry similar farenheit
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

I was wearing some of my sample vial Centaure the other night and during the drydown phase, I was quickly reminded of Ungaro III's earlier stages. I don't know if my nose was mistaken or what the two may have in common, but definitely was a connection there.

Post Thanks / Like

Adding a couple of ones on this old mastodont thread:

Jasper Conran/Mugler Cologne/Creed OV (but in reverse order qualitywise)

Floris JF and Davidoff Cool Water

Floris Santal and Gucci Envy

CdG2Man and Gucci Ph

Please add other "twins", soon we«ll have a serious catalogue of similar scents. Although subjective at times of course

MMM

Post Thanks / Like

Angélique Encens and Ambre Précieux

edit 11.07.05: I own both now. They are not as close as I saw them when I only owned a sample of Ambre Précieux.
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

K, you'll appreciate this one: *Le Roy Soliel Homme* is *Lacoste Booster* if it were available as an EDP.

[blue]scentemental[/blue]

Luca

To me Rive Gauche it's very similar to Antaeus.

Post Thanks / Like

I just sampled the new Tommy Bahama for Men today and it smells an awful lot like Gucci pour Homme.

But what REALLY gets me is that the bottle is a total rip off of Costume National Scent!

Not only does it smell like something else, it looks like something else, too!

Yvan

Take Le Male, take out a lot of the cedar, put in more floral notes, and you get Armand Basi Homme!

Since I like both of them a lot, I tried layering them, and they practically cancelled each other out!

Post Thanks / Like

Armand Basi Homme smells a lot like Cristobal IMO.
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

Post Thanks / Like

Krizia Uomo is very similar to One Man Show, just darker!
    Tuscany is a brighter/lighter without ambergris Azzaro pour homme...

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, I absolutely agree about Azzaro/Tuscany, a little more citrus topnotes in the latter though.

MMM

I think L'Instant men's version has a lot of similarity to Contradiction for men, but mostly in the basenotes of contradiction.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw Romeo Gigli and Ungaro II in this thread with different likenings. (Is there such a word?)

To my nose Romeo Gigli smells very much like Ungaro II.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

I mentioned this somewhere already I think, but I find the feminine Dune very similar to D&G's By Man, not identical but similar even if Dune seems a bit heavier at first

Biotherm's Aqua Fitness, http://www.basenotes.net/cgi-bin/fra...i?a14=26120119, is extremely similar to Frederick Malles Cologne Bigarade.

Aqua fitness is from 2000, FM CB is from 2001 ?

aromatics elixar by clinique & aramis 900 ;D

Coast deodorant soap and Drakkar Noir ;D

CartiŽrs "Declaration" and Jaques Fath "Yang". Then Chic came out and smelled like the previous two and in that period I tried some Tea tobacco wich was a bad version of the other three. I think I«ll stay away from tea/cedar/cardamon/tobacco frags for quite a while. Did like the Yang for a while though...

/Tobbe

ps: Matt: Don«t you think that in the masculine aura of ST duponts smoky, woody roughness theres a prominent note of "marie kex" in there? Ha Ha Ha Ha!!! Really wierd, even more noticeable when sprayed on paper instead of the skin.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I just add this old thread with tons of thoughts to the current one on the same subject.
    MMM

Post Thanks / Like

Le Male smells like a cross between Bvlgari Black and Givenchy Pi. At least it did for the short time I had with it on my wrist. It gave me a bad headache after some deep sniffing.

Can anyone affirm this?

Post Thanks / Like

Have another closely related trio:
    Paul Smith London, Obsession Night and Armani Black Code.
    All woody, figgy, coconutty and quite artificial smelling. The colour scheme of the bottles are very close as well...

MMM

Post Thanks / Like

Pi and Spark. (vanilla)Egoiste Platinum and Eau De Grey Flannel.I honestly think EDGF is better,but it lasts no time.EDGF has more of a marine note. If EDGF lasted longer, this would probably be my signature scent.Desire and Diesel Plus Plus.Pierre Cardin and Jacomo,although Jacomo is spicier.Cool Water and Wings.(marine)Bowling Greeen and Versace Green Jeans, both equally disgusting.(lemons, pine).Drakkar and Caesars Man. CK One and Chrome.There are others which I cant recall at the moment. Im sure these are identical enough that its not worth having both.

Post Thanks / Like

Versailles pour Homme and Laura Biagiotti Uomo smell similar. And both are discontinued... Does this tell you something about their scent? ;D

Post Thanks / Like

This has got to be the strangest thread yet *

While I've noticed the top notes of Joop being similar to Cristobal, *until the synthetic grape juice of Joop hits, and Drakkar Noir likewise being sinilar to Franceco Smalto-- untl the first is revealed as a poor cousin to the latter's world class scent; *Coolwater and GIT is stretching it. And as to

Mt Blanc Individuel being a copy of Joop

Minotaure = Dunhill's Desire Red

Versace Dreamer = DG ph

Lorenso Villarosi's Piper Nigrum = Gucci ph

*YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING !

Btw, *have *I told you how much Quorum smells like Trumper's Spanish Leather? *: *

Still, *as *fellow *lunatic to others, *I must concede this is a most fascinating thread.

Pax,

Mario

My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

eua de grey flannel=aramis surface
    alot of others
    sell,rebottle,rename until it sells

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    This is another one of my trashy posts. I feel the urge to draw a parallel between Beleaf by The Body Shop and Felce Azzurra, which is a widely known (in Italy) line of bath/body care products.<br><br>The two entities smell practically the same.
    I use body powder mainly for one reason - the smell of Felce Azzurra! And I have been trying to find a cologne like it for years, but FA do not seem to make that at all(?) The soap is my standard soap but as with most of them - the smell is just too short lived, and their shower gel scent is not as subtle. So I hope to find a Body Shop in CH NOW! By the way, please: What is does 'felce' mean in English/ French or German?
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry_Martini
    Touch for men Burberry similar farenheit
    I know what you mean. They share that same sharp, rather bitter opening, which is violet (or maybe mock violet, in the case of Fahrenheit). Violet isn't listed as one of Fahrenheit's ingredients, but I remember that, back in the days I used to wear it, people would sometimes say to me, "You smell of violets". Touch definitely starts out with a strong violet note.

L'Artisan's L'Eau de Navagateur and MPG's Eau des Iles have a lot in common. Not surprising, as I think they were created by the same geezer - Jean Laporte - but for different companies. Both quite phenomenal frags, BTW.

Post Thanks / Like

Another pair: The new Mont Blanc Starwalker is 95% the same as Boss Bottled/#6 , just a tad stronger.

MMM

Post Thanks / Like

Paco XS = Poor man's Himalaya

Kenneth Cole Reaction = Poor man's MI

Allure Sport (drydown) = less refined Geir

A&F Fierce = harsh Platinum Egoiste

And some elements of Loewe Pour Homme remind me of Czech & Speake No. 88...I think it's the bergamot and rose note they have in common.

*Disclaimer: These are only my personal opinions. Perhaps you may not find similarities between these scents. Cheers.

Laura Biagiotti Roma Uomo = Creation Lamis Colosseum
    ;D ;D ;D

Post Thanks / Like

Won't bother writing down all that I agree with, but here are some new:

Nearly the whole Trumper Collection seems to be similar
    Chanel PM: Spanish Leather by GFT (warmer, sweeter), and Amouage Dia (flowered)
    Brit and Armani Code(a little spicier)
    Echo by Davidoff and Higher by Dior
    L'Homme de Coeur and Cool Water

NON-fragrances:
    TONY & GUY's anti-frizz shampoo smells like womens Gucci Rush
    Biotherm's Aquasource cleanser smells like "The pour un ete" by L'Artisan...

As for Sander for Man being similar to Allure, i mean Sander is a lot more fruity...

Tabarome Mileseme and D&G PH are very similar, particularly the mid notes. The start similar with the D&G woodier and having a little more citrus and flowers, Tabarome then gets its big kick of Ginger while the D&G gets more floral and lavendery though still very similar. they then settle into a very similar drydown the D&G being softer and warmer. While they are not identical they almost seem like versions of the same scent a scent x fresh and a scent x warm.

Post Thanks / Like

Le male is similar to Givenchy Pi fraiche...

I was really surprised the first time I smelled Calvin Klein Eternity For Men. I thought I was smelling Davidoff Cool Water for a minute there. What's really odd is that I find Cool Water pleasant and Eternity kinda boring and almost sickening.

I can finally tell the slight difference between my Cool Water and my Creed Green Irish Tweed, and if someone were to make me do a blind test, I might be able to tell them apart better these days. I still do have trouble sometimes though...

Here's one that shocked me. I really like Gucci Pour Homme, and didn't expect Creed Bois Du Portugal to smell so much like it. However, the Creed did not last nearly as long as the Gucci.
    No longer offering decants. Sorry!

Another D&G ph "smell alike" = Realities for Men (Claiborne)

Jim

My sister's Agent Provocateur smells v similar to Boucheron PH - think it's the rose mid note.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine:

Dunhill Desire for men = Diesel Plus Plus masculine (apple over musk)
    The Body Shop Javari = JPG Le Male (Javari is deeper and longer lasting)
    Diesel Zero Plus Masculine = Givenchy Organza Indecence (Zero Plus is less dense / vanillic and slightly woodier)
    Bouceron Jaipur pour homme = JPG Le Male (with Balenciaga pour homme dry down)
    Calvin Klein Obsession (pour femme) = Must de Cartier (pour femme)(obsession is a straight poor man's version to my nose)
    YSL M7 = YSL Nu (Nu is less woody and more musk / sweet)
    Opium Pour Homme EDT = Balenciaga pour homme

I must admit that I like to 'liken' fragrances to each other, like a great olfactory web, so that it is easier to recognise common themes, notes and their 'mood / expression' in a scent. It means you can always (re)create a certain scent mood without having to have the 'exact' scent and that strangers across the globe can have some vague appreciation of my views of a fragrance if they have smelt something like it / similar. ;D

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

That may work in theory, but in practice 2 fragrances that one person thinks smell exactly alike, another person may think they smell totally different.

I know some people think Desire smells like Allure. Personally i only smell a SLIGHT resemblance on the drydown of Desire MAYBE smelling a tad bit like Allure.

I also don't think Realities smells like D&G pour homme very much. Yes they both may have tonka bean or vanilla, but D&G has a significant spiciness, whereas to me Realities smells almost all sweet with very little spice.

I could go on, but the point is: i think topics like this are sorta helpful, but really you get more disagreement than agreement.

Cabochard, Aramis & Azuree. When I can't find the Cabochard bath products, I use the Aramis bath & body line underneath the Cabochard. I often mix the Cabochard extrait with the Azuree spray cologne for extra staying power.

Obsession & Must de Cartier are almost identical, except for Obsession's lingering resiny orange/amber notes at the very end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    Le male is similar to Givenchy Pi fraiche...
    Le Male is more similar to Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hysteria
    Here's one that shocked me. I really like Gucci Pour Homme, and didn't expect Creed Bois Du Portugal to smell so much like it. However, the Creed did not last nearly as long as the Gucci.
    Gucci PH similar to BdP? I TOTALLY disagree.
    Gucci longer lasting than the Creed? I TOTALLY and ABSOLUTELY disagree.

-> imho Gucci is much more smokey, whereas BdP is a lot sweeter
    -> BdP is one of the longest lasting scents of my collection!

:
    :P
    :-X

m

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    The Body Shop Javari = JPG Le Male (Javari is deeper and longer lasting)
    Longer lasting than Le Male? Interesting. I have to look into that one now because I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    [quote author=moondeva link=1071607817/105#109 date=1136373363]The Body Shop Javari = JPG Le Male (Javari is deeper and longer lasting)
    Longer lasting than Le Male? Interesting. I have to look into that one now because I'm curious. [/quote]

I wouldn`t say it is LONGER-lasting, but it stays extremely well. My sister`s boyfriend uses this fragrance at the moment and I`ve used it too in the past.
    Let me tell you; it is a fantastic scent, no doubt. It is very akin to Le Male indeed, but it`s spicier. It is one of those scents what will easily and undoubtedly raise attention. I guarantee you that.

Post Thanks / Like

Two new finds of striking similarity:

Davidoff Silver Shadow & Hugo Boss Soul. Both pleasant but equally boring. Light amber with some spicy woods thrown in. I could honestly not tell them apart side by side. Hoggar from Yves Rocher is also very much like these, but with more emphasis on tonka beans.

Versace Dreamer & Diesel ++. Bought the excellent shower milk for the latter, and the similarity struck me immediately. They are basically the same, except there´s tarragon and tobacco in Dreamer while ++ has some caramel/condensed milk edge. Both sport superb longevity, but there´s really no need to get both.

MMM

I recently bought bold and beautiful Iquitos, and yes, it shares certain simalarities to Poison by Dior.

And also I found out, that Tabac Sport is just another nostrils burner more in the name of Coolwater.

I have one recent experience also

Tumulte Homme = Tam Dao

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have recently found that:

Guerlain Heritage = Chanel Egoiste - now before you all stampede me in denial I acknowledge that Egoiste is a fruitier less formal scent. And that they are very different in the initial opening due to Egoiste's off putting 'citrus hand wipe used to clean old stale ashtray' accord but after that they are like am and pm versions of the same fragrance. Guerlain Heritage is smoother and more formal with less sillage but they have definitely come from the same fragrance test tube.

so there! :P

;D
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *