Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Default Re: Similar Fragrances

Burberry Touch = Divine L'Homme de Coeur (Touch being sweeter and not as smooth as the great Divine scent)

Eau d'Hadrien = GFT (GFT having superior longevity and more persistent lemon note)

Horizon by Guy Laroche and Sonia Rykiel Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    Le Male is more similar to Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin IMO.
    What the... I don't get it :-? I suppose I must compare the two side by side to see if I get what you mean.

I find CDG2 and Obsession Night by CK somewhat similar but definitelly not identical.
    Paco Rabanne pour homme to me is quite "Kourosy"
    Ted Lapidus pour lui to me is "Rochas Man meets Cristobal"

Some of the comparisons earlier suggested are absolutely ridiculous!

I think that Crown Perfumery's Town & Country is extremely similar to Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouqet.
    Let your nose be your pilot

Here's one I've just discovered:

My scent of the day is Creed's Bois du Portugal. During my lunch break I tested out Guerlain's Heritage (on my hand) at a department store. The latter, after the 'lemon sherbet' topnotes, is a fainter but very similar version of the former - all lavender and woods.

^ I agree somewhat with this, they´re most certainly in the same category at least, but I perceive BdP as drier and lacking that sour quality that is present in so many guerlains including heritage.

MMM

Hanae Mori HM = Rochasman (surprised nobody mentioned this!)
    Joop Homme = MB Individuel (Obviously MBI is more understated than JH)
    Joop Jump = Ch Allure (Allure slightly more spicier)
    MB Starwalker = Armani Black Code (I prefer MBS)

Somebody mentioned Allure & Jil Sander for Men. To me, they're completely different. Not familar with most of frags that were listed in comparison to Gucci ph.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Bois du Portugal = KL Homme

(I just smelled BdP for the first time and thought of KL Homme, then came home and noticed someone had already noted this similarity in a review of BdP!)
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

Also, as has been noted elsewhere, Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne bears a certain similarity to Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein.

I've found GFT similar to The Pour un Ete, with the former being sharper because of the citrus.
    Jaipur shares some similarities to both Old Spice and Dzing! too...

Just recently I discovered this: Old version of Vetiver (Guerlain) is very close comparing to new one. It caught me by suprise.

Old one is a bit more earthy and dry, but yes, they actually are the same!

ps. Few days ago I smelt Pasha for the first time...What an unsure and unbalanced nature: The scent is completely wandering in the scenes of Jazz and Antaeus.

Now it's my time to dive into this huge thread and I do this with:

Comme des Garçons - Kyoto and Christian Lacroix - Tumulte Homme

Kyoto being the thick and dense one while Tumulte is the smooth and soft fella here.

Coco Chanel and Lancome`s Magie Noire shares that same sort of rich, honey-ish nature.
    Btw, these both are quite easy to wear by men also, if you`ll just stay easy on the trigger.

KL Homme reminds me of de Nicolaï's New York.

Totally agree with you, Pigeon Murderer, on Pasha. It´s one of the most incomplete juices out there, going in all kinds of different directions at once. Ever so slightly reminds me of the original Polo as well.

And to mention another pair - New Harleem & Rochas Man, but the patchouli in the first sets them apart some.
    MMM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    Coco Chanel and Lancome`s Magie Noire shares that same sort of rich, honey-ish nature.
    Btw, these both are quite easy to wear by men also, if you`ll just stay easy on the trigger.
    I don't find this so much. I think Chanel Coco has a much more burnished amber character than the dry spiced woods of Magie Noire. I have the (pre 1980) vintage MN though so the more modern formulation may bear your observation out. *

I agree that Chanel Coco would be very easy for a man to wear - a dry spiced amber.

I find *Coco & Fendi Donna are kissing cousins.

Both have that Italian (Romanesque) burnished bronze baroque amber character to them. However, Fendi is the rawer, uncivilised one of the pair with a noticable animalic note throughout (musk). Coco is more urbane with a smooth dark chocolate incensey note in the base (benzoin, olibanum) smoothing over the animal rough edges. *:-*

Men should definitely try them both - especially in cooler weather, winter and fall. *
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    [quote author=Pigeon Murderer link=1071607817/120#132 date=1142517751]Coco Chanel and Lancome`s Magie Noire shares that same sort of rich, honey-ish nature.
    I don't find this so much. I think Chanel Coco has a much more burnished amber character than the dry spiced woods of Magie Noire. I have the (pre 1980) vintage MN though so the more modern formulation may bear your observation out.

I agree that Chanel Coco would be very easy for a man to wear - a dry spiced amber.

I find Coco & Fendi Donna are kissing cousins.

Both have that Italian (Romanesque) burnished bronze baroque amber character to them. However, Fendi is the rawer, uncivilised one of the pair with a noticable animalic note throughout (musk). Coco is more urbane with a smooth dark chocolate incensey note in the base (benzoin, olibanum) smoothing over the animal rough edges. :-*

Men should definitely try them both - especially in cooler weather, winter and fall. [/quote]

moondeva, you may be exactly right. I tried Magie Noire first time just yesterday - maybe it needs still more to be learned.
    However, while the top-notes are quite different from each other, I really thought that the drydown after couple of hours were very similar. Amber is there of course, but these both also share a honey note. (at least imo, and also scentdirect.com for instance) I thought Coco was a bit more sweet with caramelizized notes. (benzoin) It`s also more full-bodied, more complex.
    I don`t think MN is that much of a dry-woody scent. For me it seemed quite obvious Oriental - and like I said, I thought honey was very prominent in the dry-down hours.

I have these both as a miniature bottles. Coco is 4ml EdT, and MN is a 7ml glass bottle (EdT). I think I actually have that "old" Magie too.

SMN Eva and Bulgari pour Homme smell very much related to me ..

Cabochard by Gres & Robert Piquet's Bandit?
    Let your nose be your pilot

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by magnnum
    Cabochard by Gres & Robert Piquet's Bandit?
    I was about to disagree with this, recalling Cabochard as a much drier crisper elegant take on a leather tobacco chypre, than Bandit. But then I went to sniff both and found you are pretty spot on!

However, there is a greeness to Bandit that the 'dried, cured tobacco leaves' of Cabochard is missing. I then realised that Bandit reminds me of another HG, much loved chypre of mine - Givenchy III! This has the missing 'fresh' green for me. *

So:

Cabochard + Givenchy III = Bandit

;D
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Creed Green Irish Tweed = Bond No. 9 Chez Bond
    Creed Silver Mountain Water = Bond No. 9 Hamptons

Other Creed/Bond No. 9 similarities have been noted in other threads....can anyone else add to this list?

JHL = Cinnabar

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    Creed Green Irish Tweed = Bond No. 9 Chez Bond
    Creed Silver Mountain Water = Bond No. 9 Hamptons

Other Creed/Bond No. 9 similarities have been noted in other threads....can anyone else add to this list?

JHL = Cinnabar
    To me, Bond No. 9's Great Jones is an exact replica of the original Paco Rabanne Pour Homme.

Unlike Chez Bond and Hamptons, which develop differently from their Creed models, Great Jones is identical to Paco--it's Paco with higher oil content, but Paco nonetheless.

Halston Unbound = Acqua di Gio

Aramis Havana Reserva = Aramis Havana ;D

Bond No. 9 Wall Street = Sean John Unforgivable

Aqua Quorum = Giorgio Beverly Hills Wings

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    Bond No. 9 Wall Street = Sean John Unforgivable
    Both of those are too close to Creed's Millesime Imperial to be anything but ripoffs. The Wall Street is the least similar of the two, but there's no questioning where its inspiration came from. The Unforgivable, on the other hand, is an "Unforgivable" ripoff of MI.

CK Obsession for Men = Aramis Devin

To me the main difference is Obsession is just noticeably sweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Narcus
    [quote author=Leo link=1071607817/45#59 date=1101948883]This is another one of my trashy posts. I feel the urge to draw a parallel between Beleaf by The Body Shop and Felce Azzurra, which is a widely known (in Italy) line of bath/body care products.<br><br>The two entities smell practically the same.
    I use body powder mainly for one reason - the smell of *Felce Azzurra! *And I have been trying to find a cologne like it for years, but FA do not seem to make that at all(?) The soap is my standard soap but as with most of them - the smell *is just too short lived, *and their shower gel scent is not as subtle. So I hope to find a Body Shop in CH NOW! By the way, please: What is does 'felce' mean in English/ French or German? * [/quote]

felce is the italian word for fougere

Kiehl`s Original Musk shares certain similarities to Alyssa Ashley`s Musk. AA Musk is only a bit more floral. (white flowers)

Hugo Boss #6 is similar Ferrari Black to me

Dreamer is very similar to Le male.I actually tried Dreamer last year , went to the store that sold Le male and asked the sales lady.

What is this? (stuck my arm under her nose)

OH!!!Thats Le male!

nope....

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Horizon by Guy Laroche and Sonia Rykiel Homme
    It`s so strange to see how people see these things so differently. Alex, no offence, but I swear these two don`t share similarities at all. Well, in my opinion that is.

Quote Originally Posted by absynthium

felce is the italian word for fougere
    Oh, discovered by lucky accident - great! Thank you, Absynthium
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

The biggest rip-off ever !!!!! :
    Desnuda, (Ungaro). Identical to Dune, (Dior).
    Not only the fragrance itself, but also the packaging, (exactly the same colour/style).
    I don´t know how they got away with it.......there must be law suites pending !!!
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Gucci pH and Le Boise ~ both are very dry and woody with a pepper smell to them. Both amamzing to me!!

how about Le male and P.E. 360 white.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Vendetta pour Homme by Valentino (1991) to me is a lot like Halston Z-14 (1976)

Quote Originally Posted by d4
    Vendetta pour Homme by Valentino (1991) to me is a lot like Halston Z-14 (1976)

:::nodding in agreement:::: I knew Vendetta reminded me of something. That's it! Thank you.

Two other fragrances that I find very similar are Roma Uomo & Brit. Though I find Roma superior and much longer lasting.

Gray

Bel Ami is (too) close to Aramis. If you take Aramis, take a bit herbs out of it, add some vanilla and styrax...Bel Ami.
    Bel Ami = Greasy leather just like you wanted to be. :

I find Le Roy Soleil Homme by Salvador Dali (1998) quite like Façonnable (1994), although I think the geranium is more prominent in Le Roy Soleil, and its top notes are subtler.

I sampled Azzaro Visit today, and I did a double take because I thought I applied something from my wardrobe and not a new frag. Took me about 5 minutes to decide this is a twin brother of Gucci Rush and 3rd cousin of Nemo

I just went this whole thread through for the first time, and I was suprised at how long I had to travel since I pumped into a comparison between Cool Water and Eternity. :-?
    Who can claim that Eternity wasn`t a shameless offspring (read=copy) of Cool Water???

Btw, some really, really weird opinions there about similarities...

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    Btw, some really, really weird opinions there about similarities...
    Yeah... I suggest newbies not to buy blind based only in these opinions... It's too subjective, but some opinions are REALLY WEIRD...

I would have to say on paper and on me that I would be able to tell the difference between most fragrances. Definitely cool water and eternity. Sometimes on other people when the cologne takes on a different chemistry is when I get thrown off. Also, New Haarlem and Rochas Man smell very similar on paper but smell completely different on me.
    One that I noticed this weekend while scent shopping was how much of a clone Original Vetiver by Creed was of Thierry Mugler cologne.

Doing a side by side today of
    Dzing! and Bulgari Black. Bulgari Black being my #1 frag, I do find Dzing similar but the difference I get is that Black smells like an overcooked or burnt version of Dzing. I also heard Black shares similarities with SMN Nostalgia (I have a decant not tested yet).

Anyone else find Bulgari Black to be similar to any others? I would love to try all similar ones because this is the smell although unique that works best on my skin.

I find Echo by Davidoff (2003) echoes Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent (1998).

Claiborne Sport strongly reminds me of Ralph Lauren Safari
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

GRRROAN! A similarity thread!

I feel so guilty saying one smells like the other, but to some extent or the other it does, it's been known that a designer will create a new scent around the same aspects of another popular one.

My latest discoveries of similar scents are:

Balenciaga PH=Mediterraneum

Caron Impact=Jicky

Opium=Youth Dew

Casran=Lacoste PH

Rive Gauche=Brut

Allure Homme=Perry Ellis M

L'Instant Extreme=Roma Biagiotti per Donna

Styles and combinations can become very cyclical in the fragrance world. Then again, it can be that one recognizes a note or combination of notes that makes one believe there's a similarity between the two.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

V pour Homme by Valentino (2006) reminds me of Baldessarini by Hugo Boss (2002).

L'eau du Caporal l'artisan=MPG Centaure
    Navegar l'Artisan=CDG Calamus
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

To me Givenchy Gentlemen, Giorgio Beverly Hills for men and Fendi Life essence are very similar, being GG the original, GBH its clone and LE a wonderful citrusy variation on the theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    To me Rive Gauche it's very similar to Antaeus.
    I agree, especially in the heart notes. Antaeus has some raging intense topnotes I don't find in Rive Gauche, but once those fade, I could imagine mistaking one for the other.

From another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsLike
    To my nose YSL M7 has a similar feel and character, without really smelling alike.
    What Antaeus and M7 have in common for me are that they come on big, hot, and heavy. M7 actually keeps this up, though, while Antaeus relaxes after a little while.
    Last edited by d4; 25th October 2006 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roly94
    Cool water and Floris(jf) are amazingly alike.Cool water is as common as dirt and thusly has no snob appeal.I think I like Cool Water better though.I am obviously uncouth.
    Philosykos and Vetiver(Guerlain) are also alot alike.The Dyptique has more coconut and lasts longer to me.
    I think Minotaure and Lolita Lempicka au Masculin are very similar.Anyone esle think that?
    A propos of Minotaure why was it discontinued?
    Au Revoir,Roland.
    For sheer number of duplications alone GIT has 'em all beat. I've come around to the reality that GIT does come to stand apart from Cool Water. But Cool Water leaned heavily on GIT IMO. Most of the niche clones take after GIT. Freshman by Truefitt and Hill, J.F. by Floris, and Chez Bond by Bond No. 9 immediately come to mind. Seems I'm forgetting one or two though. Shucks.

Quote Originally Posted by FragranceFan255
    For sheer number of duplications alone GIT has 'em all beat. I've come around to the reality that GIT does come to stand apart from Cool Water. But Cool Water leaned heavily on GIT IMO. Most of the niche clones take after GIT. Freshman by Truefitt and Hill, J.F. by Floris, and Chez Bond by Bond No. 9 immediately come to mind. Seems I'm forgetting one or two though. Shucks.
    No, no, no. Cool Water is nothing like GIT. I've been wearing GIT for 30 days, each morning and evening putting it on. In the meantime each week one-two times went to Douglas and put CW on my other hand. Nothing, sorry. Two different worlds, GIT being the hands-down superior.

Sorry, I don't get it. "Two worlds apart", how many worlds apart are Gaultier² and GIT then? 12.7?

When I tried GIT I was instantly reminded of CW. Zero worlds apart. But I can imagine that after a couple of hours, there may well be differences. Neither scent is for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by FragranceFan255
    Sorry FF255, JF by Floris smells nothing like GIT - that sharp lime note is entirely absent in GIT and dominates JF. The two just share a slight herbal accord. Chez Bond on the other hand is a pretty accurate clone.
    -

Funny how a mention of GIT so often hijacks an entire thread---especially if Cool Water is also involved!

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja
    Sorry, I don't get it. "Two worlds apart", how many worlds apart are Gaultier² and GIT then? 12.7?
    No worlds, just 3 centimeters - on my shelf at least An both are very far from the Cool Water, the river Tisza being more than 2 kms from our house.

Question Re: Similar Fragrances

Does anyone else think Black Jeans smells like The Dreamer, only less sweet and creamy?

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    Doing a side by side today of
    Dzing! and Bulgari Black. Bulgari Black being my #1 frag, I do find Dzing similar but the difference I get is that Black smells like an overcooked or burnt version of Dzing. I also heard Black shares similarities with SMN Nostalgia (I have a decant not tested yet).

Anyone else find Bulgari Black to be similar to any others? I would love to try all similar ones because this is the smell although unique that works best on my skin.
    I find Bulgari Black to be very similar to Givenchy Pi.

Givenchy Gentleman = H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9
    Drakkar Noir = Great Jones by Bond No. 9

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    Givenchy Gentleman = H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9
    Drakkar Noir = Great Jones by Bond No. 9

Is

Czech & speake no. 88 = Drakkar Noir

a fair equation? I read that in the reviews somewhere (I forgot what Noir smelled like)
    -