Code of Conduct

Default Ouds: anyone tried?

I was curious if any basenoters could comment on Ouds. Are these creams that you rub on yourself, or do they come in spray form? What is the general longevity for Ouds, do they last longer than parfume? And usually parfumes spoil with time rather than improve, yet I understand that Ouds' are supposed to improve with years.

I ask because I thought I would try and explore the Montale house a little more. Fougeres Marines and Soleil di capri are pretty good. (of course these are not Ouds)

Default Re: Ouds: anyone tried?

Hi,
    -
    I tried two Oud attars myself. Quite different - compared to other perfumes. I can't really describe it for you, but I'll ask Sixcats, who has more experience with perfumes to give a mini-review. His lovely flowing descriptions ought to be nice

-- Aamir --

If you haven't already, check out the Montale reviews thread I started. Quite a few people mentioned the Montale ouds in that one.

I find that oud starts off with a medicinal note, and then once that burns off, it tends to add a depth, warmth, and density to a fragrance. I can't comment on the shelf-life of oud. My favorites so far:

Montale Oud Cuir d'Arabie
    MPG Soir d'Orient
    Montale Attar
    Montale Royal Oud
    Montale Black Oud

All of these are worth a test, IMO.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    If you haven't already, check out the Montale reviews thread I started. *Quite a few people mentioned the Montale ouds in that one. *

I find that oud starts off with a medicinal note, and then once that burns off, it tends to add a depth, warmth, and density to a fragrance. *I can't comment on the shelf-life of oud. *My favorites so far:

Montale Oud Cuir d'Arabie
    MPG Soir d'Orient
    Montale Attar
    Montale Royal Oud
    Montale Black Oud

All of these are worth a test, IMO.
    I would add:
    Aoud Lime
    Aoud Damascus
    Oud Pur Oriental.

Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I'll check out the thread you mentioned. All of the montale Ouds sound so interesting, I'll probably drop some money on one or two this summer. Does anyone beside Montale make Ouds???

Quote Originally Posted by fearful symmetry
    I'll check out the thread you mentioned. All of the montale Ouds sound so interesting, I'll probably drop some money on one or two this summer. Does anyone beside Montale make Ouds???
    i do im actually wearing one I put together right now. send me a pm if you want a sample

Quote Originally Posted by fearful symmetry
    I was curious if any basenoters could comment on Ouds. Are these creams that you rub on yourself, or do they come in spray form? What is the general longevity for Ouds, do they last longer than parfume? And usually parfumes spoil with time rather than improve, yet I understand that Ouds' are supposed to improve with years.

I ask because I thought I would try and explore the Montale house a little more. Fougeres Marines and Soleil di capri are pretty good. (of course these are not Ouds)
    Get samples of them and find out.
    It's not getting what you want -- it's wanting what you've got.

Here is the link for Robyogi's thread

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...0226;start=all

fearful symmetry I also sent you a PM yesterday.

In case anybody is interested in samples of Montale fragrances, PM me.

Pierre Montale is the first french guy to produce the Oudh line.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Oud is part of our daily life here, we burn *it in every occasion no matter how sad or happy is it..weddings.. furenals.. day ..night..oud is every where, it is part of our hospitality..we burn oud for our guests *before they leave us...

oud is burnt to perfume our clothes, houses, wardobes, offices, bed linens, body & hair 'if you have a long one'...

on the other hand pure oud oil, is a dark thick nectar 'dark brown to black' is used directly on skin, behind ears, on infants, hair & on the top of moustach ...so you smell oud all the day

our local perfumers 'attar' are mixing it with rose, musk, amber or the 3 of them..AJMAL is the most famous one *& they produce oud's soaps, creams, powder & room sprays & i prefer 'shams' perfume from thier range.

me personaly i use oud in a moderate way , i blend oud -as burnt or pure oil- * only with fragrances that have an oriental hint, like Jaipur , Gucci ph, Body Kouros , CdG2 , gucci rush , rive gauche, M7, envy, intitution, obessision,....
    it doesn't work well with sporty or pure western fragrances.

& my faviorete oud fragrance ever is *M7

there is an attar shop in London at Oxford St. & it is called:
    Oud is part of our daily life here, we burn it in every occasion no matter how sad or happy is it..weddings.. furenals.. day ..night..oud is every where, it is part of our hospitality..we burn oud for our guests before they leave us...

oud is burnt to perfume our clothes, houses, wardobes, offices, bed linens, body & hair 'if you have a long one'...

on the other hand pure oud oil, is a dark thick nectar 'dark brown to black' is used directly on skin, behind ears, on infants, hair & on the top of moustach ...so you smell oud all the day

our local perfumers 'attar' are mixing it with rose, musk, amber or the 3 of them..AJMAL is the most famous one & they produce oud's soaps, creams, powder & room sprays & i prefer 'shams' perfume from thier range.

me personaly i use oud in a moderate way , i blend oud -as burnt or pure oil- only with fragrances that have an oriental hint, like Jaipur , Gucci ph, Body Kouros , CdG2 , gucci rush , rive gauche, M7, envy, intitution, obessision,....
    it doesn't work well with sporty or pure western fragrances.

& my faviorete oud fragrance ever is M7

there is an attar London at oxford St., where u can purchase Pure Oud wood to burn, or pure oud oils
    it is called: arabian oud

check the link
    http://www.arabianoud.com/english/success_story.asp

M7 I suspect doesn't contain natural Oud, but it is definitely one of the most intoxicating ingredients that last forever and ever.

The Montale Ouds I've tried are the Damacus (rose note added) and Royal (kumquat added). My choice? Damascus...warmer, a rose note makes it a perfect compliment to the dry camphorous nature of Oud that projects its wonderment. Royal is fresh, but somehow reminds me of an M7 Fresh that lacks complexity.

Oud, at least the ones I've smelled, is a sharp, woody, camphorous sandalwood that projects an ancient luxury that extends its sophistication to the present day without skipping a beat of the modern world in its minimalist elegance. On the whole, you can't go wrong with any scent that contains Oud, it just takes over and brings one to a heightened state of mind. From there, anything's possible!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

the smell of the bare wood chunks of oud is totaly differnt form the smell of the pure oud oil,

the oil is much more sweety, while the wood is more dry & is hard to detect the sweetness,

so Montale & all other attars use the OIL where u get the sweety nots, while M7 for the 1st time they used the smell of the bare oud wood in its purest form....
    this the difference between m7 & the others ...i love to sniff the oud chunks they're more mystrious & less loud

I was extremely disapointed with Montale's Oud's, the oud gave the scents an unfinished, heavy, and medicinal quality. I think this is a very difficult note to work with. By the way the oud in M7 is totally synthetic, like iris, it is an extremely expensive ingredient, and would never go into a commerrcial scent.
    Try Rose 31 by Le Labo, the oud in this one is very subtle and makes this masculine scent really shine.

Quote Originally Posted by musclegod007
    I was extremely disapointed with Montale's Oud's, the oud gave the scents an unfinished, heavy, and medicinal quality. I think this is a very difficult note to work with. By the way the oud in M7 is totally synthetic, like iris, it is an extremely expensive ingredient, and would never go into a commerrcial scent.
    It took my nose some time to "adjust" to oud. For a while all I could smell was a thick medicinal note that suffocated everything else. Then, one day, for no apparent reason, my nose started to smell it differently. It became more subtle, adding a rich, wet warmth to the whole scent. Suddenly I could smell everything else that was in the fragrance, and all the scents that I had dismissed as being "exactly the same" as the other oud scents I had smelled, started to differentiate into their own scents.

I agree - M7's oud note doesn't smell "natural" to me at all. I still like it, but in the same way I like Nemo's "wood" notes. Both seem synthetic, but in a good way.