Code of Conduct

Thread: Sweet Tooth

Default Sweet Tooth

I can't lie, I crave sweetness in fragrances. Often my favorite fragrances are the ones that have prominent sweet elements that are successfully offset and complimented by dry or spicy aspects of the scent. There is also the rare sweet scent that doesn't have much to the composition other than sweet notes but for some reason or another never becomes cloying. I want to see how others feel about sweet scents because I know that there is quite a divide. I would also like to see some mentions of favorite sweet scents. In my short but action-packed fragrance journey I've so far found a decent number of really nice sweeties:

Angel Men, Envy, Chergui, Tea for Two, and most recently, Acier Aluminum. Sweet fragrances are soooo fun to wear and serve as chick magents to boot. I actually haven't had the chance to wear AA much yet but I imagine that girls will love it. As I carry on I am becoming more and more open to scents with less sweetness but I honestly think that sweet fragrances will always be my favorite.

Default Re: Sweet Tooth

The scents that have made the cut in my collection all have some sweet note to them. It is a balance thing because sweet can be overdone, Lutens Santal de Mysore comes to mind. I compare the sweetness in scents the same way I do to desserts, it needs to be there but there needs to be a very strong center stage note(s) that is being sweetened.

I enjoy sweet stuff too. I was in a phase where I was into Boss Bottled, JPG, Lacoset pour homme, and Pi. They are all very sweet and I liked them all at the same time. I'm still into the sweet ones but a more masculine tone such as Tea for Two, Fumerie Turque, and Lolita Lempicka. Orientals are my favorite class of fragrance and I'll probably stay with those for a long time. Woods and sweet tones mix quite beautifully when blended right (Mechant Loup).

I keep looking and coming up with new ones so I hope they keep making them.

EnvYuS

I've come back to sweet scents by following the recommendations here on Basenotes. I had to retrain my nose after being stuck in the trap of fresh, aquatic mindset. I've never strayed from wood scents though, and if there's a slightly sweet element to it, I'm always sold, like Arpege PH. Man, it's almost sinful everytime I sniff this one.

As for strictly sweet scents, I enjoy stuff like Douce Amere, but I'm ready to say goodbye to my bottle of Xeryus Rouge because it's almost too candy-sweet for me.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Bvlgari Black has really been working for me lately as a Sweet scent. Man, that Vanilla base is great! And I dont normally like Vanilla-based scents. 8-)
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

Here is another sweetness-addicted soul! But for some reason EVERYONE thinks that Pi is for women before i tell them it isn't! This is a bit of a tangent, but Do you guys often smell sweetness in women's fragrances?

Yes, I'm drawn most to scents with a bit of sweetness too, but preferebly with something else to provide a bit of contrast. And it is very easy to overdo.

Some of my favourite sweet scents:

Jaipur Homme
    A*men
    L'Instant de Guerlain
    YSL Opium
    Pi
    Creed Royal Delight
    M7
    Obsession
    Egoiste
    Gucci Pour Homme
    Heritage

As I say, most/all have something to counterbalance the sweeteness, whether it's citrus, spices or woods (or even tar!). I think that's the key.

I think I like sweet scents as well! It's wierd, I love the sweetness in Dior Homme, but I sometimes feel Burberry Brit can become overly sweet. I recently tried Boss Bottled and I really like the sweetness in that. It's probably the vanilla that I like. I should start exploring more vanilla scent. I got a feeling I might [really] like Bvlgari Black....Oh well, I'll try it out someday!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    I think I like sweet scents as well! It's wierd, I love the sweetness in Dior Homme, but I sometimes feel Burberry Brit can become overly sweet. I recently tried Boss Bottled and I really like the sweetness in that. It's probably the vanilla that I like. I should start exploring more vanilla scent. I got a feeling I might [really] like Bvlgari Black....Oh well, I'll try it out someday!
    I wouldn't worry about Bulgari Black, it's transparent enough to appreciate the vanilla, but not cloying to get you sick of it.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

"Sweet" = Gourmand???

I guess it does to me therefore:

A*Men
    Mat;Chocolat(just wonderful--from top to bottom)
    JOOP! PH

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    [quote author=ChrisW link=1147753823/0#7 date=1147769864]I think I like sweet scents as well! It's wierd, I love the sweetness in Dior Homme, but I sometimes feel Burberry Brit can become overly sweet. I recently tried Boss Bottled and I really like the sweetness in that. It's probably the vanilla that I like. I should start exploring more vanilla scent. I got a feeling I might [really] like Bvlgari Black....Oh well, I'll try it out someday!
    I wouldn't worry about Bulgari Black, it's transparent enough to appreciate the vanilla, but not cloying to get you sick of it.[/quote]
    My exact thoughts. I was wearing it one day and suddenly the weather turned a LOT warmer than I expected. It still didn't get cloying. I'm actually wearing this on warm days too now. I'd be careful on very hot days though.

Burberry Brit has some of the same dry sweetness to it. It gets cloying a lot more easily though. M7 might be a bit in the same category.

Escada Magnetism is another sweet scent I appreciate, it's very unique and extremely potent.

The bad news, it's been cold and raining for like 2 weeks straight here in New England. The good news, I've gone shopping a bunch! And that certainly was a good thing, I found out that I like Lolita L'Empicka au Masculin. I've never been one for sweet scents in the past. Not on me anyway. Yet, somehow in the midst of the cold and dreary rain, it fit the bill. This has definitely opened my eyes...errr...nostrils to the sweeter side of scent.

Me also very into sweet scents. My second emptied bottle was actually A*men ( first was CK Eternity). Now I'm half-way through my another bottle of A*men, then M7, BK and Rochas man. A*men is sweet, but the strong, smooth, creamy base rounded it off very nicely. M7 is like dry and smokey kind of sweet. Rochas man is like coffee and chocolate with a bit of fruity brightness on top, very well rounded, sweet and crisp. Body Kouros is like sweet Indian incense sticks, also very spicy and truly one of a kind. Bulgari Black, Allure Homme and Allure sport are like, the sweetest I could go. And I need to be in the right mood for these three.
    Another great one is L'instant Edp. It goes way deeper and darker than A*men in terms of chocolaty/gourmandi-ness without getting the least bit as cloying. Recently I've become more inclined towards the quality fresh scents though, due to my purchase of Creed Himalaya.
    Talking about sweet scents and Creeds, Original Santal is also very sweet...like candies made in the colour of that bottle. For me it is too sweet, I wanted to like it but I simply won't be able to breath through that dry down. It is probably suitable only for very cold weather or maybe in night clubs where the increased energy levels will make people tolerent to the scent and the smells of sweat, smoke and booze will also round it off. I've never smelled Joop but as far as my experience goes OS is by far the king of cloying sweetness. If only they could restrain that dry down a bit.

I love Oriental scents. If you haven't tried anything from Comptoir Sud Pacifique, then I suggest you get some samples. They'll satisfy any sweet tooth.

Ambre Narguile' by Hermes, is the ultimate gourmand..DELICIOUS!!!!
    If you like Bulgari's Black, Try Patchouli 24 by Le Labo, Black X 10, this frag is also by Annick Minardo, while much more expensive, all you need is a lil bit, buy the small bottle.