Code of Conduct

Default lanvin arpege ph

received this one in the mail today. i had been eagerly anticipating its arrival - the promise of something new and untested is always excting. i took a risk based solely on its description because there is a 30 ml bottle (i love when they offer these smaller sizes).

so the initial burst is similar to l'instant's anise note. it then progresses fairly quickly through to something similar to lanvin lh's dominant note. i would have been happy if that was it, because those are two of my faves at the minute, but then it moves further to the vanillic type base that the description had promised me - more of a fresh take on vanilla as compared to the deeper, i guess true, vanilla of say opium. In other words, i don't feel it sitting in my stomach as i do with opium, which makes it a bit more versatile in regards to when & where to wear it IMO.

a nice frag i reckon. just the type i needed too, to slot in between my heavier orientals and the fresher, lighter frags - a good all rounder, without being common or boring.

just my ramblings, hope they assist those pondering this one.

addicted.

Default Re: lanvin arpege ph

Quote Originally Posted by addicted
    received this one in the mail today. i had been eagerly anticipating its arrival - the promise of something new and untested is always excting. i took a risk based solely on its description because there is a 30 ml bottle (i love when they offer these smaller sizes).

so the initial burst is similar to l'instant's anise note. it then progresses fairly quickly through to something similar to lanvin lh's dominant note. i would have been happy if that was it, because those are two of my faves at the minute, but then it moves further to the vanillic type base that the description had promised me - more of a fresh take on vanilla as compared to the deeper, i guess true, vanilla of say opium. In other words, i don't feel it sitting in my stomach as i do with opium, which makes it a bit more versatile in regards to when & where to wear it IMO.

a nice frag i reckon. just the type i needed too, to slot in between my heavier orientals and the fresher, lighter frags - a good all rounder, without being common or boring.

just my ramblings, hope they assist those pondering this one.

addicted.
    Great review, addicted!
    I'll give this one a try soon!
    Is it powdery?

powdery? hmmm, nope, not to me. it retains the slight citrusy element of the original lanvin over the vanilla (for a good while anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by addicted
    powdery? hmmm, nope, not to me. it retains the slight citrusy element of the original lanvin over the vanilla (for a good while anyway).
    Ok!
    I asked you that because of a review a read at the directory... The guy said Arpege reminded him of sand dust!

maybe he was in the middle of a desert? :-?

There's a lot of quality about it. Perhaps a bit of dust, but in a good way.

"...The history of perfumery before this subdivision of niche was manufactured, both literally and imaginatively, is a long one, with thousands upon thousands of fragrances. The true fragrance lover takes each fragrance one at a time, and examines it preferably outside of the imaginatively manufactured categories and, in doing so, builds up a steady, informed basis for seasoned comparative judgments based on the sampling and information gathered from such sampling. This is why any one on the board who ever has anything particular interesting to say about fragrances as fragrances rather than as categorical constructs always has an abiding interest and passion for all kinds of fragrances and not just a narrow niche of fragrances. Conversely, the "niche whores," the more and more narrow their interests become, the more and more they mimic the ad copy of the very companies they worship. I know whose posts I like to read..."

“Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,” .......... “A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

Book recommendations:

Perfumes: The A-Z Guide
    The Emperor of Scent
    The Perfect Scent
    Scent and Chemistry

Feeding the Monster: IFRA and the EU Parliament
    www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

-http://www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

I just applied Arpege for the first time last night and it's my opinion that it is powdery. *To me, it is really in the same family as Gucci Rush and Azzaro Visit.

[edit]Please keep swap offers to the swap board. Thanks CoL [/edit]

Arpege PH is absolutely not powdery on me. I tested it on one friend of mine too, with the same result.

I definitely get some powder in the mid notes --it doesn't last very long. I wouldn't call it a powdery scent, though.

I don't get the powder; nor do I get the wood note like Higher or Visit.

I do get a nice vanilla, though, and I think comparision to Brit and L'Instant are reasonable ones.

Not a trailblazing riginal, but a nice scent that's not too light or too heavy, making it appropriate in most all weather conditions. Cool bottle too.

I find Arpege PH very citrus, almost reminding me of Herera Chic, but heavier. It has a rather heavy vanilla base, together with citrus produce the effect of something green herbal like pickled and dried vegetables. Its not 'too' heavy but it has something pungent about it's nature so over sparying is a no no. Overall sweet and green and middle of the road and different from any other scents I've tried. Definitely powdery for a citrus scent.

I get some powder in this one too.

To me its like a lighter more powdery Lolita Lempicka for men.

Very nice stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by CoL²

To me its like a lighter more powdery Lolita Lempicka for men.
    That's the one I thought of too when I tested it.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

I personally hated this fragrance from the first moment the fumes where wafted into my nostrils. I don't get it.

Powdery? Yes!

Strange dichotomy in opinions here, for me it is extremely powdery.

Default Lanvin Arpege PH and Guerlain Vetiver

OK, I'm excited! Using the proceeds of my sale of other scents, I bought Lanvin Arpege and Guerlain Vetiver. I'll probably have them in a week.

With Arpege, the description sounds right up my alley. Sweet, vanilla, powdery. My wife will probably swoon for it.

Vetiver I've had before but I'm giving another chance. I just think the bottle is gorgeous, one of the prettiest around. I just have to get in the right mindset to wear it. I want so badly to like it!

At least I'm getting 2 scents that sound completely opposite!

Default Re: Lanvin Arpege PH and Guerlain Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW
    With Arpege, the description sounds right up my alley. Sweet, vanilla, powdery. My wife will probably swoon for it.
    Women usually like this one.
    "...The history of perfumery before this subdivision of niche was manufactured, both literally and imaginatively, is a long one, with thousands upon thousands of fragrances. The true fragrance lover takes each fragrance one at a time, and examines it preferably outside of the imaginatively manufactured categories and, in doing so, builds up a steady, informed basis for seasoned comparative judgments based on the sampling and information gathered from such sampling. This is why any one on the board who ever has anything particular interesting to say about fragrances as fragrances rather than as categorical constructs always has an abiding interest and passion for all kinds of fragrances and not just a narrow niche of fragrances. Conversely, the "niche whores," the more and more narrow their interests become, the more and more they mimic the ad copy of the very companies they worship. I know whose posts I like to read..."

“Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,” .......... “A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

Book recommendations:

Perfumes: The A-Z Guide
    The Emperor of Scent
    The Perfect Scent
    Scent and Chemistry

Feeding the Monster: IFRA and the EU Parliament
    www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

-http://www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

I'm tempted, I'll give it a try the next time I'm at my fave perfume shop. I'm going to drop by and get the 212 Herrera Ice Green Bottle and Nikos Sculpture

Arpeger PH, does it make the cute cakes crumble?(plagirising nitram)
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47