Code of Conduct

Default Czech & Speak No.88

I just KNOW I've seen awesome reviews of No.88 on this board, but no matter how I search those posts seem to be gone. I would love to read those in depth takes on this magnifiscent fragrance again, now when I have enough of it to give it a lot of wearings. This was a fragrance that scared the living shxxt out of me earlier, as some might recall. So dark and haunting, to me extremely daring. I've tested it maybe 15 times now and a scent I realized might become something I'd love later on actually became just that. The opening is still scary, but it settles down after a while and becomes a beautiful rose and sandalwood scent, with some kind of amazing "ancient" aura around it.

I'm certain I've seen written material about this scent from Scentemental and others. According to this quote from said member it seems to be DustB and ChrisW. Pretty please guys, with some sugar on top, paste those posts here if you still have them (or bump the old thread).

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    When confronted with something strange--and *No. 88* certainly is a strange, unique fragrance, witness DustB's/Chris's inspired full-essay reaction to it posted in a recent thread on *No. 88*--most people's reaction is, usually, to retreat to something familiar to explain that strangeness.
    Edit: The thread I quoted: http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...29332660/all-0

Default Re: Czech & Speak No.88

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    I would love to read those in depth takes on this magnifiscent fragrance again, now when I have enough of it to give it a lot of wearings.
    It's nice to see I've become a literary case...

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    [quote author=shifts link=1147953276/0#0 date=1147953276]I would love to read those in depth takes on this magnifiscent fragrance again, now when I have enough of it to give it a lot of wearings.
    It's nice to see I've become a literary case... [/quote]

LOL, anything for you my friend! ;D

Is the rose note like the rose is the women's Stella McCartney?

I can't answer that as I haven't tried Stella McCartney, but to me it was similar to the rose in Boucheron Pour Homme - ie a sort of turkish delight rose if that makes sense. Also similar is the women's Agent Provocateur fragrance if you've tried that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    I can't answer that as I haven't tried Stella McCartney, but to me it was similar to the rose in Boucheron Pour Homme - ie a sort of turkish delight rose if that makes sense. Also similar is the women's Agent Provocateur fragrance if you've tried that.

Theres a rose in Boucheron? How have i missed this?! Is it subtle or is my nose just bad :-/

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    I just KNOW I've seen awesome reviews of No.88 on this board, but no matter how I search those posts seem to be gone. I would love to read those in depth takes on this magnifiscent fragrance again, now when I have enough of it to give it a lot of wearings. This was a fragrance that scared the living shxxt out of me earlier, as some might recall. So dark and haunting, to me extremely daring. I've tested it maybe 15 times now and a scent I realized might become something I'd love later on actually became just that. The opening is still scary, but it settles down after a while and becomes a beautiful rose and sandalwood scent, with some kind of amazing "ancient" aura around it.

I'm certain I've seen written material about this scent from Scentemental and others. According to this quote from said member it seems to be DustB and ChrisW. Pretty please guys, with some sugar on top, paste those posts here if you still have them (or bump the old thread).

[quote author=scentemental link=1129332660/0#5 date=1129337286]
    When confronted with something strange--and *No. 88* certainly is a strange, unique fragrance, witness DustB's/Chris's inspired full-essay reaction to it posted in a recent thread on *No. 88*--most people's reaction is, usually, to retreat to something familiar to explain that strangeness.
    Edit: The thread I quoted: http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...29332660/all-0[/quote]

I'm pretty dark and strange (fortunately) so I don't necesarily perceive it as being profoundly dark and haunting or even all that strange (I feel the same way about Messe de Minuit, etc). It's definitely unique, complex and extremely well-made. I find it bright and uplifting like very few others can achieve. Any coldness it possesses just crystalizes its bright and cerebral quality. The quality bergamot, geranium, sandalwoood and rose otto execution have a lot to do with its overall uplifting nature.

I wear it generously and relatively often. It's nice and dry and works extremely well with heat and sweat. It never loses quality in any situation. I question nothing about it other than how did they create it.

Not only does Ozzy wear it profusely, but Tom Ford is reputed to wear it as he contemplates designing new fragrances, due to its providing clarity and imagination through its bright, yet somewhat cold and cerebral nature.

If I were required to possess only one fragrance, Czech and Speake No. 88 would definitely be the one.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

Is there no where to buy this in the USA? I don't want to order with a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by ikkitosennomusha
    Is there no where to buy this in the USA? I don't want to order with a sample.
    http://www.cambridgechemists.com/p-1...gne-spray.aspx
    Let your nose be your pilot

I have a sample on the way - should be sometime in the start of the next week that I will smell 88 for the first time.
    But you know, I`ve already started to saving money for this...I`m quite sure I will love it, and all in all this seems to be very much my cup of tea. Despite the Ozzy.

Quote Originally Posted by magnnum
    [quote author=ikkitosennomusha link=1147953276/0#8 date=1147978589]Is there no where to buy this in the USA? I don't want to order with a sample.
    [/quote]

Thanks Magnnum! I called and the owner is going to spray a card and send it to me since they don't make samples of this. I cannot wait to smell the much talked about and illusive 88. He is also going to spray the rest of the line for me as well!

Quote Originally Posted by ikkitosennomusha
    [quote author=magnnum link=1147953276/0#9 date=1147979102][quote author=ikkitosennomusha link=1147953276/0#8 date=1147978589]Is there no where to buy this in the USA? I don't want to order with a sample.
    [/quote]

Thanks Magnnum! I called and the owner is going to spray a card and send it to me since they don't make samples of this. I cannot wait to smell the much talked about and illusive 88. He is also going to spray the rest of the line for me as well![/quote]

You're very welcome, Citrus Paradisi is another great one, good luck!
    Let your nose be your pilot

Oh no!!!!!!!! the literary beauty of my friend Scentemental has directed to a collective suggestion : ,
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Domenico Caraceni,Great Jones Bond Nš9,G.Trumper Wild Fern

I would suggest that a sprayed card is an injustice to this enigmatic fragrance. To truly understand it (and it is a certainty that we never really meant to fully understand it) one must at least get a decant. Many in the Sale/Swap will sell you one reasonably...or on ebay if you dare.

I've read on here it is Ozzy's signature but I really think that this particular frangrance should be nobody's signature. Do do so would cheapen it and negate much of the joy of those around you who would walk into your aura experience this scent...even if it is only briefly.

To me it is bright and cold all at once. A little goes a long way as just one spray on me and I will smell it for days if I don't scrub it off. I will always own this but will never wear it all that often.

Do yourself a favor and buy a decant. You will have fun with it for a long time as you try it in all sorts of times, seasons, temeratures and moods and peel away the layers of this masterpiece....and still, not understand it fully.

Quote Originally Posted by Trasker
    I would suggest that a sprayed card is an injustice to this enigmatic fragrance.
    No doubt about that.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

Even though I do not yet own it, no. 88 holds a special place for me. It is bright, due to the citrus, but also dark and foreboding, due likely to the ashen, incense-like notes. It brings to mind a gothic scene, something like the garden of a medieval castle, where something evil is about to emerge, just as the daylight breaks to dusk. Several party-makers in a garden await an unknown dark fate; yet they will enjoy what awaits them. It's sunny, yet creepy - there's so much going on with no. 88. It seems to meld with the mood of the day.

Agree. It's probably on one of the older threads, but I likened it to the sad old vampire Armand in Interview With The Vampire.

Well, in the middle of this unanimous praise I thought I would just provide a cautionary opinion.
    I came to No.88 with an open mind and all possible simpathy for the C&S house, but... I never really could go beyond the geranium shock. I may be narrowminded, but if I close my eyes and forget the hype, I don't see castles and vampires, I just see pots of geraniums and that's not one of my favourite scents.
    It is true that it seems well-made and technically impressive. I'm probably missing something, and maybe one day I will suddenly discover what it is as it's been the case with some of you. In the meantime however I'm a bit skeptical. :-/