Code of Conduct

Default Best iris fragrance?

what's your favorite fragrance with iris or orris?

I like Dior Homme, Duel and Hiris

which of the others would you recommend?

Ciao, Frederik

Default Re: Best iris fragrance?

orris:
    imperial jade emperor (agatha brown)
    monsieur carven (carven)
    ferrari red (ferrari)
    van cleef & arpels -the black bottle for men
    fracas (RP)
    jicky (guerlain)

iris:
    chanel n.19 (wich also has orris BTW)
    bois d'argent cologne (dior)
    insensé (givenchy)
    diam blond (SL)
    vol de nuit (guerlain)
    the dreamer (versace) -very nice iris here

TDC Bois d'Iris.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Hiris and Bois d'Iris
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I know that the dreamer has alot of floral notes in it, but when I smell it I smell more Juniper than Iris.

However, Iris Poudre, by Frederic Malle, although very feminine, is what I consider more of an "Iris-y" fragrance.

For me MPG's Iris Bleu Gris carries away this prize with immense ease. I sure go for Duel and Hiris too, but I hope I'm never without IBG.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    For me MPG's Iris Bleu Gris carries away this prize with immense ease. I sure go for Duel and Hiris too, but I hope I'm never without IBG.
    --Chris
    I would love to read your take on this one. Haven't searched the archives yet, maybe there is a lot written about it but I can't recall any lengthy discussion about it. My vote goes to Hiris, but I've had very limited exposure to iris scents...

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    I would love to read your take on this one. Haven't searched the archives yet, maybe there is a lot written about it but I can't recall any lengthy discussion about it. My vote goes to Hiris, but I've had very limited exposure to iris scents...
    Hey, Shifts, thanks!

I'm sure I've not written much on it before, if anything. IBG is pretty close to Hiris, but still they're very distinct. Much closer to Hiris than anything like Duel, which uses the iris in a mix of obvious other smells. Hiris has iris in the forefront in the same way IBG does, but in Hiris it is a darker, more shadowy version of the flower. I think I remember thinking of stems of the flower when I smelled the fantastic Hiris, but with IBG the mental slideshow that pops into mind is the pedals of flower, and a powdery softness. Iris in general smells of powder to me but in IBG its a slightly sweetened white powder, at times I've wondered if vetiver wasn't a hidden fixitive but I can't be sure. I know the name of the scent calls to mind "blue grey" color but that's not what comes into my brain--white, powdery softness does. Hiris I think darker, and not caring whether it has flecks of bark, rot, or cold pebbles in its powder. Hiris is the sublime beauty in muck, like the beauty of motor oil irridescent floating on top of a road's puddle. Iris Bleu Gris is the shiny irridescence of the reflective pebbles scattered onto the white paint of crosswalks or lane dividing paint lines to make them reflect head lights.

Duration on IBG is very long.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Hiris was my first iris scent, and I still love it. More recently, though, I've been testing samples of Acqua di Parma's Iris Nobile, which I have come to like very much. Maybe you should give that a try.

Both of these, BTW, are marketed toward women, whereas Arpège pH and Dior Homme are both (obviously) "pour homme."

NB: I read in a perfume book somewhere that orris is usually used to support violet accords.

[timestamp=1147932523]
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

My favourite Iris is L'Homme de Coeur by Divine. It's so natural, fresh and wearable, can't get enough of it. I'm also very fond of Santa Maria Novella's Iris, I probably wouldn't wear it as it's clearly feminine scent, but very beautiful. Chose it for my mother, she loves it.

I'm not a big fan of Bois d'Iris.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Duration on IBG is very long.
    Thanks Chris, you've sparked my interest. I will try to hunt down a decant of MPG's take on iris. Sure sounds like something that would fit me perfectly.

Let see now. We have the awesome sandalwood thread and the just as great vetiver redux one... Shouldn't there be a thread covering iris scents as well? I would love to see that one here. I feel a little bit intruiged to start something like that myself, but I'm nowhere near the nose and the writer of some other members here...

Hermes Hiris. Love it!

Iris Silver Mist - Serge Lutens

Cittá di kyoto - S. M. Novella