Code of Conduct

Thread: Ginger?

Default Ginger?

In one of the fragrance reviews I saw reference to a "ginger" note, which intrigued me. *I don't have as sophisticated a nose as most folks here, so it is frequently difficult for me to single out and identify single notes or even categories of notes.

I was raised in Hawaii and I am aware of a white flower refered to as ginger and, of course I am familiar with the root known by the same name-both of which I find delicious. *Are these two from the same plant? *And is a reference to a ginger note always one or the other, or are both the flower and the root used as frag notes?

I should mention that I am aware that flowers are called by different names in different parts of the world. *For instance, I believe the ever present flower called plumeria in Hawaii is known in the frag world as frangipani (sp). *So if a ginger flower doesn't ring a bell, this could be the reason.

PS. *I now live in Oregon. *Anyone close by?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ginger?

I think they are referring to the root, though I must admit I didn't even know there was a flower by that name.

Creed Tabarome Millesime has a prominent ginger note.

Quote Originally Posted by Eau Boy
    In one of the fragrance reviews I saw reference to a "ginger" note, which intrigued me. *I don't have as sophisticated a nose as most folks here, so it is frequently difficult for me to single out and identify single notes or even categories of notes.

I was raised in Hawaii and I am aware of a white flower refered to as ginger and, of course I am familiar with the root known by the same name-both of which I find delicious. *Are these two from the same plant? *And is a reference to a ginger note always one or the other, or are both the flower and the root used as frag notes?

I should mention that I am aware that flowers are called by different names in different parts of the world. *For instance, I believe the ever present flower called plumeria in Hawaii is known in the frag world as frangipani (sp). *So if a ginger flower doesn't ring a bell, this could be the reason.
    Hi, Eau Boy (nice name, by the way). *There are many plants called by the common name of ginger in the English language. *You're right about the confusion between common names and names used in other languages or even regions of the same country, which is why botanists and horticulturists always use botanical Latin to identify plants, so that we know exactly what plant we're all talking about. *

The genus of Zingiber, is comprised of about 100 species of perennials, native to tropical Asia. *All of these have aromatic rhizomes (the fleshy type of root you see on culinary ginger). *Common culinary ginger is Zingiber officinale and while ginger root is used for cooking and medicine, its oil is also used in perfumery.

The Hawaiian White Ginger that you grew up with is probably Hedychium coronarium, known in Hawaiian as *'awapuhi ke 'oke 'o . *This plant has extremely fragrant flowers and grows all over the Hawaiian islands. *It's native to Eastern India, not Hawaii, but was introduced to Hawaii some time ago (I don't know when). *It's extremely invasive, along with other gingers such as Hedychium flavescens (yellow ginger or awapuhi melemele), or Hedychium gardnerianum (kahili ginger), and the state of Hawaii is actively trying to control the growth of these plants, as they dangerously crowd out native Hawaiian plants. *Unfortunately, people still like to grow them in their gardens and some are commonly used in leis, while others have now become traditionally associated with the islands.

Hedychium is not the same genus as Zingiber, but they are both members of the larger Zingiberaceae family.

When I was a young teenager, I sometimes used Avon's Hawaiian White Ginger, I think in a solid stick perfume form. * Other than the Zingiber officinale oil mentioned above, I don't know which gingers, or which plant parts, are currently being used in fragrances. *But there are many members here at BN with far more knowledge about fragrance production than I have.......I'm sure they'll chime in.

Post Thanks / Like

Great information, Herb Lady! Keep up the good work.

so what do you think about carolina herrera's herrera for men refreshing ginger? flower or root to your nose?

i love the scent of its freshly cut root!
    great with red meat and peppers...to eat of course

and very refreshing indeed on frags!

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

White ginger is an awesome scent. I bought a small bottle the last time I was in Lahaina because I love the smell so much.

I don't think it gets used in men's fragrances much, because it's so closely associated with women's perfumes. I've never worn it just for that reason... coward that I am.

Root ginger gets into a lot of fragrances, both men's and women's. Annick Goutal's Mandragore is particularly fun, with ginger and mandrake root in the base.

Come to think of it, I think I saw mandrake root listed as a base note in YSL M7 too.

Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

Is mandrake root a type of ginger?

Post Thanks / Like

For the spice ginger, a scent that uses it as THE primary ingredient is Bulgari Blu, and to a lesser extent, Bulgari Blu Notte.

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    Great information, Herb Lady! *Keep up the good work.
    Thank you, Paintrman - what a kind thing to say! * I'm in awe of the depth of experience by everyone on this board, and only happy to help, if I realize that I can actually contribute something that might be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW

No, mandrake (Mandragora officinarum), *isn't a ginger - it's in the Solanaceae family, which is extremely poisonous. *Also in this family is Atropa bella-donna (Deadly Nightshade). *Mandrake root (which is a long taproot, shaped like a carrot) *is toxic if eaten; the root is used extremely carefully by experienced medical herbalists and homeopathic practitioners. * There is another plant sometimes referred to as mandrake - Podophyllum peltatum (American mandrake or may apple or wild lemon), which is an important medicinal herb, but also must be very carefully used by experienced and qualified practitioners. *Even repeated handling of this plant could cause systemic poisoning. *The root of American mandrake grows as a rhizome (the same way that ginger does), instead of the taproot of true mandrake. *

American mandrake is in an entirely different plant family - the Berberidaceae. *

I hear that a very small bowl of Belladonna can kill a horse! is that true?

in any case, those little dark-blue-violet berry-balls are very cool and their smell is kinda nice! a tart-fresh-little fruity but earthy kind of smell.
    now i Know that one-yeah one leaf of belladonna can kill a man!

i have never eaten one by the way!

Post Thanks / Like

No, mandrake (Mandragora officinarum), isn't a ginger - it's in the Solanaceae family, which is extremely poisonous. Also in this family is Atropa bella-donna (Deadly Nightshade). Mandrake root (which is a long taproot, shaped like a carrot) is toxic if eaten; the root is used extremely carefully by experienced medical herbalists and homeopathic practitioners. There is another plant sometimes referred to as mandrake - Podophyllum peltatum (American mandrake or may apple or wild lemon), which is an important medicinal herb, but also must be very carefully used by experienced and qualified practitioners. Even repeated handling of this plant could cause systemic poisoning. The root of American mandrake grows as a rhizome (the same way that ginger does), instead of the taproot of true mandrake.

American mandrake is in an entirely different plant family - the Berberidaceae.
    Thanks again Herb Lady! Wow, all that info makes me scared to get m7! Are there any fragrances with Deadly Nightshade in them? That sounds like a unique name .

Also, to keep on the Ginger topic, it says Gucci Envy has ginger in it.

Post Thanks / Like

A summer fave of mine, with a BUNCH of ginger in the middle, is Chemistry by Clinique.

Simple, straight-forward.........and seems to have a "cooling" effect on me.

I like!!!!!

Thanks again Herb Lady! Wow, all that info makes me scared to get m7! Are there any fragrances with Deadly Nightshade in them? That sounds like a unique name .
    Don't worry about Mandrake, Bella Donna, or Night Shade listed as an ingredient in any popular scent...I'm sure it's synthetic and their names just to suggest a feel to the scent only.

I don't think any perfume house really wants to kill anybody. Hmmm....you would think that they would've added one of these notes in Dior's Poison, wouldn't you think??? :-?

OH, BTW, ALOHA, EAU BOY! Bruddah from Honolulu, hea!

White ginger has such a beautiful character about it, sweet, with a bit of a green undertone. Come to think of it, it would probably make a great scent if it was added to vetiver, sandalwood, bergamot, and a bit of clove.

I myself have been looking for the fragrant note of maile, but for the life of me don't know what the English for word is for it. There's a scent called Maile, but it smells cheap and poorly done.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Not to be redundant, Herb Lady, but your bredth of knowledge is impressive. *Having lived all of my childhood in Hawaii, I am embarrased that I didn't know more about Hawaiian ginger. *I know that jasmine is a common note in many men's frags, so I would imagine that white ginger could find it's place there as well.

I'm so glad I posted this question and thank you all for your input. *Any more men's frags with perceptable notes of ginger?

You should try Miller et Bertaux #2 Spiritus/Land.

It has ALOT of ginger- it kind of smells like the pickled ginger you get with sushi. Really one of the most avant-garde scents I've ever smelled. Fascinating stuff. It took me a while to decide if I liked it even. Very strange stuff. If you get time, read my review of it in the directory. Luckyscent has samples of it.

Also, I agree with Bulgari Blu, as far as mainstream scents go. I almost picked up a bottle of Blu Notte, but I don't wear Blu enough as it is...
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    I hear that a very small bowl of Belladonna can kill a horse! is that true?
    I have no idea, but a veterinarian would obviously have to know. *Oddly enough, common culinary chives (Allium schoenoprasum) are toxic to horses, even though they're safe for humans to eat, much in the same way that chocolate shouldn't be given to dogs. *

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    [quote author=ChrisW link=1147681853/0#6 date=1147721553]
    Thanks again Herb Lady! *Wow, all that info makes me scared to get m7! *Are there any fragrances with Deadly Nightshade in them? *That sounds like a unique name .
    Don't worry about Mandrake, Bella Donna, or Night Shade listed as an ingredient in any popular scent...I'm sure it's synthetic and their names just to suggest a feel to the scent only.

I don't think any perfume house really wants to kill anybody. *Hmmm....you would think that they would've added one of these notes in Dior's Poison, wouldn't you think??? * :-?

I myself have been looking for the fragrant note of maile, but for the life of me don't know what the English for word is for it. *There's a scent called Maile, but it smells cheap and poorly done.[/quote]

I highly doubt that any of the above poisonous plants are used in fragrances (it would most likely have to be synthetics), but rather are marketing tools if their names ever appear; *mandrake root was historically believed to be a male aphrodisiac. *For those of you reading only this one post, please remember that as I said above in this thread, mandrake root is toxic, so do not ingest it!

As for Maile, I think what you're looking for is Alyxia oliviformis, also known as........(wait for it)......maile. * *
    Incidentally, maile was used medicinally by ethnic Hawaiians. *Here's a couple of links about this Hawaiian native, showing photos. *Yes, the leaves and fruit look a lot like olives, which is basically what the species name, "oliviformis" means:

http://old.kcc.hawaii.edu/campus/tour/plants/pmaile.htm

http://www.hear.org/starr/hiplants/i...liviformis.htm

Maile leaves contain coumarin, which smells like new-mown hay, which is probably what you're smelling. * However, some references say that maile smells like vanilla. * I've never seen maile in person, so can't comment, but as you're familiar with the plant (ChrisW), tell us what you think.........I'm sure you could search the directory for fragrances with either vanilla or hay notes. *

Someone's going to have to rename this thread, "Fragrant Plants of the Hawaiian Islands", LOL. *

Okay, back to ginger again.....

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not the one familiar with the plant! (I know nothing, lol )

I'm not the one familiar with the plant! (I know nothing, lol *)
    Ooops, sorry about that Chris! *I see it was actually iMaverick whom I quoted, but missed that your quote carried over too. *And I highly doubt that you know nothing, but that was a graceful bit of modesty on your part ...

Post Thanks / Like

Must de Cartier Pour Homme Essence has a ginger note.

Joop! Rococo for Men has a really nice warm ginger/gingersnaps note. It's set up against a kind of cool "fruit punch" note, so the scent smells like refreshments at an elementary school.

Plus, you know how old pictures have that "greenish" tint to them... this scent seems to capture that effect. It also kind of smells like...imagine if you found a box of old photography/optics equipment. There is that smell lurking in there too.

I'm starting to like this scent...but one problem. It makes me so thirsty. I just sprayed some on and I have a craving for Hawiian Punch. Luckily, there's some in my building's vending machine.

But yeah, if you're looking for ginger, don't forget to check out Rococo for Men.
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

I just received a scent strip in the mail for the new men's fragrance from Guess. *The first note I got from it was a very rich gingerbread. *I have no idea what's in this fragrance and of course, the strip doesn't really give the best read, but it might be one to look at.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus
    For the spice ginger, a scent that uses it as THE primary ingredient is Bulgari Blu, and to a lesser extent, Bulgari Blu Notte.
    Totally agree.

Thanks to HerbLady for the information, too. :-*