Code of Conduct

Default Aftershave Balms

Do aftershaves (specifically aftershave balms) have the Top, Middle, and Basenotes like an EdT? Also, when aftershaves come in 'balm' form, how is that different from a body lotion?

Default Re: Aftershave Balms

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    Do aftershaves (specifically aftershave balms) have the Top, Middle, and Basenotes like an EdT? *Also, when aftershaves come in 'balm' form, how is that different from a body lotion?
    Man, I don't know. I can't find the interest. Why would you want to put all that crap on your face anyway? :-? Just wash it and put some good moisturizer on it.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

I gotta disagree! Shaving is a great exfoliator, it takes off at least a layer of skin... not to mention causing minute cuts and abrasions depending on the state of your blade and various other factors. As a result, the best after shave balms/creams/gels provide the repairing, soothing and protecting properties to address these problems, which a normal moisturiser doesn't necessarily offer.

As to these balms being constructed like a perfume, with Top, Middle and Base notes, I really don't know! But I my guess is they probably aren't. My preference is to use unfragranced products and then add the scent I really want.

Sante.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

I've got lots of matching aftershave balms, mainly from gift sets. They basically put the same scent into the balm. Sometimes it smells exactly the same, sometimes it smells a bit different. The balm material can have a negative effect on some of the top notes.

You can get easily the equivalent to a balm by pouring out say Rexona for men, Nivea Extrasensitive or any other fragrance neutral balm onto your hand or container, then mixing three squirts of EDT into it before applying to your face.

You will notice a similar effect to the store bought balms, some scents remain largely untouched, some have their top notes muted.

The main problem with balms it that they don't last like the EDT or aftershave splash does. If you buy old stock, expect a significant proportion to go off. I've bought some that turned out to be off when i got home.

If you don't have touchy skin you can get away with using the moisturiser version of a scent - but your face may have more of a wet look to it, as the few moisturisers I have tried tend to be a bit greasier, and not as full of the scent as the balms are.

Stay away from anything with "aftershave gel" written on it. They sting when applied, and most of them don't have the staying power of the equivalent balm.
    Renato

M7 after shave is awsome

I used to use a moisturizer exclusively, but that doesn't seem like it is always enough. There is still some irritation on my skin, usually by the end of the day. I am wondering if maybe the aftershave balm would work better.

Hm, so it looks like it goes aftershave gel < moisturizer < balm < aftershave splash < EdT? I'm guessing by Renato's description that there are indeed different levels of notes in aftershaves, but it could depend vastly on the specific aftershave.

Yes, the one I'm questioning specifically is the m7 aftershave balm. Do balms really go [significantly] faster then an EdT?

Quote Originally Posted by Santemon
    I gotta disagree! *Shaving is a great exfoliator, it takes off at least a layer of skin... not to mention causing minute cuts and abrasions depending on the state of your blade and various other factors. *As a result, the best after shave balms/creams/gels provide the repairing, soothing and protecting properties to address these problems, which a normal moisturiser doesn't necessarily offer.

As to these balms being constructed like a perfume, with Top, Middle and Base notes, I really don't know! *But I my guess is they probably aren't. *My preference is to use unfragranced products and then add the scent I really want.

Sante.
    I don't cut myself shaving anymore because I use an electric razor primarily. I get much better exfoliant from the soap I use to wash my face.

All these accessories get a bit ridiculous. I like keeping it simple. The less steps and procedures the better. I can see how it would be satisfying to some though. Seems a bit narcissistic.

"Body shampoo, after shave balm, deodorant stick, edt..." I always get a kick out of reading that. *

Whatever floats your boat. *That's all that matters. *
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

the_Quietness

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    [quote author=ChrisW link=1147835389/0#0 date=1147835386]Do aftershaves (specifically aftershave balms) have the Top, Middle, and Basenotes like an EdT? *Also, when aftershaves come in 'balm' form, how is that different from a body lotion?
    Man, I don't know. I can't find the interest. Why would you want to put all that crap on your face anyway? *:-? Just wash it and put some good moisturizer on it. [/quote]

One of the best posts this year!

Quote Originally Posted by the_Quietness
    [quote author=pluran link=1147835389/0#1 date=1147840345][quote author=ChrisW link=1147835389/0#0 date=1147835386]Do aftershaves (specifically aftershave balms) have the Top, Middle, and Basenotes like an EdT? Also, when aftershaves come in 'balm' form, how is that different from a body lotion?
    Man, I don't know. I can't find the interest. Why would you want to put all that crap on your face anyway? :-? Just wash it and put some good moisturizer on it. [/quote]

One of the best posts this year!
    [/quote]

Someone made an account just to say that It was a good comment, but "one of the best" is pushing it

Anyone have anymore opinions? I think the decision has come down to:

1. return the aftershave balm and eventually get the EdT

2. keep the aftershave balm and probably not get the EdT and just stick with what I got

hmmmm, decisions decisions

i'm with Santemon on this one.

i've recently started using The Art of Shaving's After Shave Gel (Unscented) and i'm lovin it. plus its alcohol free so it doesn't dry out my skin. and as its Unscented i can then just use whatever fragrance i want over it afterwards.

also i've read that generally after shave balms are for the fall/winter seasons while gels are better for spring/summer. but that's just extra information.

anyway i guess i'd suggest just gettin an Unscented product like the one i mentioned above and then getting the EDT of the fragrance in question and you should be good to go.

http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos/after-shave-gel.php

and no i don't work for these cats.

aight peace.

I used to use a moisturizer exclusively, but that doesn't seem like it is always enough. *There is still some irritation on my skin, usually by the end of the day. *I am wondering if maybe the aftershave balm would work better.

Hm, so it looks like it goes aftershave gel < moisturizer < balm < aftershave splash < EdT? *I'm guessing by Renato's description that there are indeed different levels of notes in aftershaves, but it could depend vastly on the specific aftershave.

Yes, the one I'm questioning specifically is the m7 aftershave balm. *Do balms really go [significantly] faster then an EdT?
    Do you mean "go" as in go off, or not have much scent left after a few hours?
    If the former, it may really go off after 5 or 6 years, unless you keep it in the fridge.
    If the latter, check my article in Basenotes on Balm Endurance - some lasted over ten hours. Others struggled to make two hours. I describe my testing technique which you may wish to emulate on M7 Balm (M7 wasn't around when I was enthused by that exercise).
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=ChrisW link=1147835389/0#5 date=1147879509]I used to use a moisturizer exclusively, but that doesn't seem like it is always enough. There is still some irritation on my skin, usually by the end of the day. I am wondering if maybe the aftershave balm would work better.

Hm, so it looks like it goes aftershave gel < moisturizer < balm < aftershave splash < EdT? I'm guessing by Renato's description that there are indeed different levels of notes in aftershaves, but it could depend vastly on the specific aftershave.

Yes, the one I'm questioning specifically is the m7 aftershave balm. Do balms really go [significantly] faster then an EdT?
    Do you mean "go" as in go off, or not have much scent left after a few hours?
    If the former, it may really go off after 5 or 6 years, unless you keep it in the fridge.
    If the latter, check my article in Basenotes on Balm Endurance - some lasted over ten hours. Others struggled to make two hours. I describe my testing technique which you may wish to emulate on M7 Balm (M7 wasn't around when I was enthused by that exercise).
    Renato[/quote]

Thanks Renato. And I meant the former, but thanks for answering both! I'm searching for the article on Balm Endurance, but I can't seem to get to the article listings off the Basenotes homepage. Do you have a direct link?

Thanks Renato. *And I meant the former, but thanks for answering both! *I'm searching for the article on Balm Endurance, but I can't seem to get to the article listings off the Basenotes homepage. *Do you have a direct link?
    No problems, but I emphasize that I'm talking about new bottles/tubes. It is really hard to know the age of what you're buying - so if you buy them on sale, and it's not a new scent - you'd better use it more quickly than usual, whereas they're obviously going to be new if it's a relatively new scent.

I think a lot depends on how much alcohol is in them. I have Mennen Afta aftershave balm that is over 20 years old - and it works and smells fine.

My articles are at,
    http://www.basenotes.net/articles/balm.html
    http://www.basenotes.net/articles/lotion.html

Renato

Hm, I guess it is nearly impossible to guess the exact age of the product, as you said. But, even if I am assuming that the m7 balm I currently own was released in the debut year of m7 (hopefully unlikely!), that would make the item ~4 years old. The ingredients list alcohol (although I have no clue about the concentration), so hopefully the balm won't go bad for awhile. I plan to use it fairly quickly; as I have to keep a clean cut appearance and I shouldn't go for the rugged stuble look .

Thanks for the links -- however, like you said in the articles, I guess it all depends on the particular item. I'll give it a test run tomorrow. Hopefully I don't get that 'wet & shiny' look!!