Code of Conduct

Default Anybody still buy Aftershave Lotion?

Back in my pre-BN days, I used to buy these over EDT's because they were cheaper. I also mistakenly thought you were paying more for EDT because of the atomizer. Now, I don't buy ASL at all unless it comes in a set with the EDT.

Anybody have the same experience?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Default Re: Anybody still buy Aftershave Lotion?

I was brought up with men wearing aftershave,cologne was considered unmanly.How wrong they were;although I still know some guys who still have this opinion :-?
    Now I use edt`s and edp`s and have a great time testing and wearing a a great many frags and the best thing is there`s still hundreds left to test

I have huge problem with after shaves, which I can`t explain. They don`t intrest me AT ALL, and if I sometimes get a hold of a bottle, for some reason, then I immediately will get rid of it. I will give it for someone without cost, as long as I don`t have to keep that bottle in my closet.

This is stupid of me, because after-shave is often (naturally) exactly the same scent as EdT or EdP. And sometimes (Lagerfeld Classic for instance) the after shave is just as strong, complex and long lasting as EdT.

But for some reason, after-shave is swear word to me.

Hahhaaa, maybe I`m just not man enough. :

Actually, I was looking to purchase the Aftershave Balm for m7. It is like the Aftershave lotion as it is in the form of a lotion in a squirt bottle. I'm using the deodorent right now, and find that the scent projects fairly well (I'm not wearing any other EdT or fragrance). I suspect that the Aftershave will have fairly decent longevity. If the EdT is too obnoxious or in your face (like m7, at times) it might be better to try the aftershave. That is what I am planning on trying; I'll see what happens. Only problem I foresee is that the scent would be somewhat linear.

My experience is that with after shave, its uninterrupted proximity to the nose usually means that I can't smell it myself. So what's the point, if your reason for using it is the fragrance?

A sales assistant not long ago assured me that they are hardly manufactured at all any more, which is preposterous, of course.

Then again, some are so powerful that if you are to use them for their intended purpose (to cover the shaved area), you risk being declared a biohazard. One I can cite in that regard is Body Kouros. Another is Woods of Windsor. In the case of the former, I find the after shave fragrance noticeably different from the edt, and not in the sense of being weaker.

i use them after i shave. they moisturise my skin.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I use and enjoy the non-alcohol lotion/moisturizer kind.
    Chanel's are particularly good.
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

If I really like a fragrance, I will diversify and get the deodorant and/or aftershave if it is convenient to acquire. Since this is a form of layering and increases the intensity and longevity of the scent, I don't do it too often, but enjoy it when I do. I've never considered it as an aftershave vs cologne issue, though I was quite a ways along before I discovered that Old Spice really does have a spray cologne (the classic stuff too, not the stuff in the red packaging)

I still pick aftershave splashes up if they are going cheap. I like wearing matching EDT and splash. But the splashes sting too much (with the exception of the Trumpers ones and Mennen Skin bracer).

So I firstly apply Rexona or Nivea Extrasensitive for men afershave balm, wait about 15 minutes for them to do their work, then apply the splash.

Thus I avoid the stinging, red, splotched face look I'd otherwise have if I applied the splashes directly after shaving.
    Renato

for me i prefer m7 after shave over the edt, it has more magic

I never use them. I think I'm put off by the fact that they don't last as long (on your skin and in the bottle before going off).

And do they not dry your skin out as well?

Default I make my own unscented aftershave

I make my own unscented aftershave from witchhazel plus about 1/7 part glycerin, both available cheap in drugstores.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    I never use them. I think I'm put off by the fact that they don't last as long (on your skin and in the bottle before going off).

Unlike the aftershave balms, I've never had a splash go off.

If you check out an old article on aftershave endurance that I wrote at the main Basenotes site, there were plenty of splashes with decent lasting power (which in fact lasted a lot longer than many of the often praised niche scents around here). But there were some that were indeed pathetic, and a total waste of money.
    Renato

I use unscented Clinique After Shave Healer lotion.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    WANTED buy/swap: Creed "Acier Aluminum" , L'Occitane "Eav des Bavx", Comme Des Garcons stuff especially "Dry Clean"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Top 10: TM Cologne, Mark Birley, Dzing, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Geir, Divine's "L'Homme de Coeur", Penhaligons 'Endymion",
    Creed Original Vetiver, Diptique Tam Dao, Hugo Boss "Spirit"

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=Dante link=1147802578/0#10 date=1147860664]I never use them. I think I'm put off by the fact that they don't last as long (on your skin and in the bottle before going off).

If you check out an old article on aftershave endurance that I wrote at the main Basenotes site, there were plenty of splashes with decent lasting power (which in fact lasted a lot longer than many of the often praised niche scents around here). But there were some that were indeed pathetic, and a total waste of money.
    Renato[/quote]

Thanks Renato.

From my own experience (Kouros and Egoiste), after shave has tended to 'go off' before I'd used the whole bottle.

I definitely don't.

Yes, if that is what is avaialble to layer under the EDT or EDP.

For instance, I use Subtil after shave lotion rather than after shave balm since that was what was available. The same for Bulgari PH - that is what came in the set with the shower gel and deodorant.

My bigest collection is Boucheron PH - I have the after shave lotion, after shave cream and after shave balm. I rotate them on different days to layer under the EDP.

i usually get my aftershaves along with the frag i get when it comes within a box that is; so i would have to say that i don't buy aftershaves alone and if i ever need one it's always in packages as i said...strangely enough, i find that aftershaves go well when i go to the gym and i don't want to put on a n EDT/EDP as they seem fresher and lighter...

Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    [quote author=Renato link=1147802578/0#12 date=1147876946][quote author=Dante link=1147802578/0#10 date=1147860664]I never use them. I think I'm put off by the fact that they don't last as long (on your skin and in the bottle before going off).

Renato[/quote]

Thanks Renato.

From my own experience (Kouros and Egoiste), after shave has tended to 'go off' before I'd used the whole bottle.
    [/quote]

Yeah, my Le Male aftershave I bought 7 years has long since gone off. It's pretty much now a swarth of Vanilla. I wear it at home when I want a hit of Vanilla.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Ohh, when everyone was saying that aftershave goes off, I was thinking the timeframe was in the months. I guess everyone was talking about the timespan of years? hopefully

I was the winner on eBay for three bottles Iquitos After Shave for 2 Euros some days ago. I often hope the After Shave is not as potent as the Eau de Toilette. I was wrong. The After Shave is still TOO STRONG for me to handle. ;D
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed
    I was the winner on eBay for three bottles Iquitos After Shave for 2 Euros some days ago. I often hope the After Shave is not as potent as the Eau de Toilette. I was wrong. The After Shave is still TOO STRONG for me to handle. *;D
    Do not despair, you can
    a. Do as I said earlier, apply some Rexona Balm or Nivea Extrasensitive Balm, wait 10 to 15 minutes and apply the aftershave - you will handle it, or
    b. Just splash it under your clothes - it will act as an excellent cologne.
    Renato

i never use aftershave anymore. clogs the pores and causes breakouts

- does somebody know the INCI of Kouros after shave lotion?

-somebody use it? how do you rate it? is it different from the perfume? is it good for sensitive skins too?

thanks

Can't remember the last time I had an after shave lotion in my house.

no one shaves?

I've not used plain aftershave for years. I tend to regard them as strictly for those men who don't want to admit to wearing a fragrance for its own sake. That said however I do use (and make) aftershave balms (in my case about 3/4 moisturising lotion to 1/4 EDP, with possibly a bit of added witch hazel.

I find using one of these will have enough alcohol to help close-up the pores and enough moisturiser to reduce razor burn after shaving and better still match the fragrance I'm using that day.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

I use an electric razor five days a week, so I only need an ASL the two days a week that I blade. I find it a bit frustrating that most of my favourite EDTs do not have a matching ASL available. The balms are OK in the wintertime, but in the summertime the alcohol-based ASLs are much preferable. The L'Oreal aftershave gels are usually a good odourless substitute. A lot of the inexpensive ASLs layer surprisingly well and disappear in about an hour or so anyway.

I emphatically and absolutely never wear scented face products. The only fragrance I use is in EdT and EdP which I apply to my neck or arms.

A lotion, to me, indicates some form of skincare and perfume is not skincare - its perfume.

Personally I believe any sort of perfume in a facial product is the work of the devil. I'd never spray perfume on my face. Its a short cut to red, irritated skin. Fragrance, alcohol and dye free is my key is calm skin.

I'm not that keen in scented body wash either. The supermarket stuff smells dreadful, the high end stuff costs a fortune and is rinsed down the drain in seconds. I don't use a body moisturiser.

The traditional alcohol and fragrance laden aftershave splash might have some romantic heritage to it, but I see it akin to taking mercury for syphilis. Great story but probably best left in the history books (no offence to your post-shave splash guys - just my lil ol opinion...). Interestingly, the idea that pores can be opened with steam and closed with astringents is not borne out by evidence. Pores cannot be opened and closed like windows. What alcohol (and to some extent) fragrance does is irritate the skin and cause minor swelling, giving the illusion of smoother skin.
    Last edited by blueyezz; 8th August 2011 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blueyezz View Post
    I emphatically and absolutely never wear scented face products. The only fragrance I use is in EdT and EdP which I apply to my neck or arms.

A lotion, to me, indicates some form of skincare and perfume is not skincare - its perfume.

Personally I believe any sort of perfume in a facial product is the work of the devil. I'd never spray perfume on my face. Its a short cut to red, irritated skin. Fragrance, alcohol and dye free is my key is calm skin.

I'm not that keen in scented body wash either. The supermarket stuff smells dreadful, the high end stuff costs a fortune and is rinsed down the drain in seconds. I don't use a body moisturiser.

The traditional alcohol and fragrance laden aftershave splash might have some romantic heritage to it, but I see it akin to taking mercury for syphilis. Great story but probably best left in the history books (no offence to your post-shave splash guys - just my lil ol opinion...). Interestingly, the idea that pores can be opened with steam and closed with astringents is not borne out by evidence. Pores cannot be opened and closed like windows. What alcohol (and to some extent) fragrance does is irritate the skin and cause minor swelling, giving the illusion of smoother skin.
    So you don't have any strong views then blueyezz?
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    So you don't have any strong views then blueyezz?
    Absolutely, moderate is my middle name!

Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    I was brought up with men wearing aftershave,cologne was considered unmanly.How wrong they were;although I still know some guys who still have this opinion :-?

Meet my stepfather. He swears someone is wearing "perfume" when I wear cologne around him.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Meet my stepfather. He swears someone is wearing "perfume" when I wear cologne around him.
    Well he is right you know: It's all just perfume in the end . . .
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Quote Originally Posted by blueyezz View Post
    What alcohol (and to some extent) fragrance does is irritate the skin and cause minor swelling, giving the illusion of smoother skin.
    Actually, that's the opposite of the truth. Alcohol cools your skin as it evaporates and that will reduce the swelling caused by your razor. And it has benefits as an antiseptic.

I like to get an After Shave or AS Balm in a gift set if possible..... I prefer the Balm over the After Shave!!!
    Gary

I use AfterShave Balm and lotion after my shave which focus on the soothing ingredients and not the scent. I make sure the AS I use is either scent free or have a very weak scent that will dissipate quickly and not intrude with the fougťre I will use that day.

I use Proraso Cutting Edge RazorBurn Repair followed by Proraso Cutting Edge Protective AS Balm (both have a very mild Lemon scent) or a mild MŁhle AS Balmlotion with either Mint, sandalwood or Seabuckthorn scent.

I could never live without using an AfterShave - just avoid the AS with high alcohol content.
    After Shave Balm/lotion is not used for the fragrance but for the ingredients - witch hazel, aloe vera, Alum and for the cooling effect.

NOT THE SCENT !!!
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection