Code of Conduct

Thread: Chai Tea

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chai Tea

Chai Tea is one of my fave bevvies. The other day I was at a local market buying a Mother's Day present when I saw this lady was selling soaps and whatnot. She imbued her soaps with some really nice scents. Suffice it to say that the best scent of them by far was the chai tea! It got me thinking, damn, if only there were a fragrance that smelled exactly like this soap! It was somewhat sweet but had enough spice to make it easily wearable on a man. I'd say it was perfectly unisex. And despite it being soap, it wasn't at all soapy. I had to be dragged away from the soap because I wouldn't put it down! People, please tell me a fragrance that uses the aroma of chai tea to great affect!

Default Re: Chai Tea

Try Comme des Garçons White and layer with Cinnamon from their Sherbet series and I bet you come quite close to at least the spices used in chai (Diesel Plus PLus for the milk I guess heh).

Comme des Garçons Incense: Jaisalmer

"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Opium (YSL) perhaps? Been a while since I smelt chai.

Chai tea is made differently by everyone and can contain several or only a few spices, but I believe it must contain cardomom to be considered a true chai.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to try out Jaisalmer. I don't find Opium to smell at all like tea, let alone Chai Tea. Ninja, you should really get out and smell some Chai Tea, and then drink it because let me tell ya' you are missing out big time! I'm starting to get worried that perhaps there is no fragrance that captures the essence of Chai Tea. I might go back to the market and ask the woman how she fragranced her soap. This could very well lead to my first attempt at making a perfume, and I think it would be a good one too because I don't think that a simple Chai Tea scent would be that hard to make. Let's see just how wrong I can be!

SC, CA, NV- Who knows where I'll be next?
    Post Thanks / Like

While I can't make a suggestion on a bottled tea fragrance, I have to agree that chai tea is a wonderful idea for a scent. Last month I got a free sample in the mail of Guru chai tea. I opened it and got sidetracked. Later I came back and could not figure out what that wonderful smell could possibly be. I was thinking I might have spilled a couple of bottles of cologne and the smell was the result of the blend. Not even close. The tea had simply had a while to breath and the result was pure heaven.

Perhaps we should inform Bulgari about this.

Chai?
    D'you mean the Indian style of tea? Milk, a teaspoonful of tea and some sugar all boiled together? We call that chai over here. You'll find that in every nook and cranny all over India. Also, when its cooler (wintertime, so to say) - we put in some masala in our tea (powdered spices such as cardamom, cloves, nutmeg etc) which enhances the flavour of the tea!

Post Thanks / Like

The spices you add sound about right. Cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, and I'd also add cinnamon. There is also vanilla, honey, and black tea. That is more or less what Chai Tea is as far as I'm concerned, though it seems like there is no "real" definition of what Chai Tea is.

Post Thanks / Like

I am surprised that no one has mentions L'artisan's Tea for Two. It's not exactly like Chai but it is a smokey tea scent that can't be missed. It is lapsong and honey. Delicious! There is a little spice of some kind in there as well. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Lady
    Chai tea is made differently by everyone and can contain several or only a few spices, but I believe it must contain cardomom to be considered a true chai.
    This suddenly got me interested and found this little nugget of information - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chai

I believe I'll go out and have some tea now.. er, make that chai.

(A bit of trivia)
    In India, we like sharing our tea, so if you've got a friend drinking tea with you, what happens is, you pour half the tea in the saucer, and pass on the cup or the saucer to your friend (or guest). In most roadside tea stalls, they give 'half a tea' (even though its a full cup hahaha) which is also termed a 'cutting'. So, what you do is - you could say "Bring me a cutting", and the waiter will bring you some. Tea is pretty cheap too, i.e you could get about 10 cups of tea to a dollar at a roadside stall! Finally, apart from Masala chai, its very common in wintertime to add *some* crushed ginger to the brew (while being boiled, of course), it makes the tea taste just that much better.

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    I am surprised that no one has mentions L'artisan's Tea for Two. *It's not exactly like Chai but it is a smokey tea scent that can't be missed. *It is lapsong and honey. *Delicious! *There is a little spice of some kind in there as well. *Try it.
    I'm not familar with Tea for Two at all, but lapsang souchong is a VERY smokey tea. *The tea leaves are actually smoked in different steps along the way as it's being processed/dried. *I've only had this tea once or twice, but hated it as it was like drinking pure wood smoke. *I couldn't get the smell out of my nostrils for hours. *I have heard that it's an acquired taste, but imagine it would be really interesting in a fragrance...

But chai is very different (in my opinion), because it's usually a strong, plain black tea that has different strong spices in it. *Although not the same, I think the scent is more like a mulled cider - very warm and soothing and yet sweet too, even before adding milk. *Celestial Seasonings makes a terrific chai tea and a decaf chai tea too. *Starbucks serves a nice chai tea also, but it's rather decadent (if you do the whole milk, whipped cream with a touch of nutmeg bit). Man, I'm getting hungry....gotta go.

Post Thanks / Like

Tovah, a female reviewer that I respect, thinks Tea for Two smells like Chai tea. Check out her review in the directory. I don't get the smoke in Tfor2 at all but I do smell the spices. I have Lapsong tea here at the house and I love it. It can smell so smokey that you think you are drinking liquid smoke. Tfor2 isn't like that. Check out the reviews. I think you might be surprised.

Kelley

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I have TfT and I really like it. However, to me its smell bares no resemblance to the smell of Chai Tea. You're right though it is an outstanding fragrance. And Painer, you really don't get any smoke? For me it is not as prominant as some mention but it is definately noticeable lurking about in the background. It is one of the main things that sets this apart from other tea scents.

Dawn Spencer Hurwitz offers a fragrance called Chai Tea. It is truly wonderful, my autumn Holy Grail, in fact. Warm, rich, and perfectly balanced spices (in my opinion, anyway). I buy it in oil form, and it is very long lasting. She offers an alcohol based spray as well. I often get compliments on it; and I think it would be delicious on a man. Well worth a try!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Comme des Garçons Sweet Series Burnt Sugar has spice, milk and honey notes.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

The DSH Chai Tea sounds great, surprised I've never heard of it. DSH never gets mentioned in the men's boards. Anyone else know of it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Giraffe
    The DSH Chai Tea sounds great, surprised I've never heard of it. *DSH never gets mentioned in the men's boards. *Anyone else know of it?

I have a little sample vial I would be happy to send you, just pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    Tovah, a female reviewer that I respect, thinks Tea for Two smells like Chai tea. *Check out her review in the directory. *I don't get the smoke in Tfor2 at all but I do smell the spices. *I have Lapsong tea here at the house and I love it. *It can smell so smokey that you think you are drinking liquid smoke. *Tfor2 isn't like that. *Check out the reviews. *I think you might be surprised.

Kelley
    Kelley, I don't doubt you or Tovah one bit. *As I mentioned above, I've never experienced Tea for Two, so definitely can't comment on the fragrance itself. *I was only talking about the actual lapsang souchong tea (beverage) being very smokey to me. *

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Lady
    [quote author=paintrman link=1147763180/0#13 date=1147834735]Tovah, a female reviewer that I respect, thinks Tea for Two smells like Chai tea. *Check out her review in the directory. *I don't get the smoke in Tfor2 at all but I do smell the spices. *I have Lapsong tea here at the house and I love it. *It can smell so smokey that you think you are drinking liquid smoke. *Tfor2 isn't like that. *Check out the reviews. *I think you might be surprised.

Kelley
    Kelley, I don't doubt you or Tovah one bit. *As I mentioned above, I've never experienced Tea for Two, so definitely can't comment on the fragrance itself. *I was only talking about the actual lapsang souchong tea (beverage) being very smokey to me. *[/quote]

Tea for Two is excellent all the way. My girlfriend wears it all the time.
    “Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,”.........“A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”