Code of Conduct

Default The Fragrance I Think I Hate More Than Any Other

I have to say, I REALLY HATE Azzaro Pure Lavender.

I was going through my drobe, looking for something to freshen up with after the gym and I though, "Hmmm. Why not? I haven't worn this much."

I can't even sniff the spot where I sprayed it without feeling this weird sensation like I'm going to get a "brainfreeze" or an earache and/or maybe a toothache! Does anyone else have this experience with Pure Lavender? Man, it's so cloying, it's like somebody crept up to Bulgari Black in the dead of the coldest night of the year and poured sugar in its gas tank!

Really, I get this physical reaction to Pure Lavender. I start to inhale it, and I just can't take a full breath. I'm usually pretty generous toward most fragrances. I can see the good in most scents. BUT I just think Pure Lavender is possibly the most loathsome, repulsive, unbreathable scent I've ever smelled. And see, I like Pure Vetiver a great deal. But Pure Lavender is pure rubbish to my nose. The sad thing is, beneath all the sugary mess, I think I see bits and pieces of a good scent, but the end result is a displeasure to breathe. Perhaps the sillage from this isn't as bad, but when I smell this on my skin...YUCK.

There it is, my most HATED scent. Brainfreeze. Literally.

Default Re: The Fragrance I Think I Hate More Than Any Oth

I'm wondering how you feel about Rochas Man, as it has a very prominent lavender note,
    coupled with plenty of sweetness. I think the Rochas is decent, but the lavender note
    could stand being toned down.

I presume you aquired this fragrance "scent unsmelled". *I hope it was at least a bargain or, better yet, free. *What do you make of the fact that you had this fragrance for a while and, as you implied, wore it a few times but only recently have you realized the depth of your loathing for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eau Boy
    I presume you aquired this fragrance "scent unsmelled". *I hope it was at least a bargain or, better yet, free. *What do you make of the fact that you had this fragrance for a while and, as you implied, wore it a few times but only recently have you realized the depth of your loathing for it?

Well, I did have it for a few months, and I got it cheap.

The first time I smelled it, in the parking lot at Marshalls, for about ten seconds I thought it was gonna be nice...but then it just got annoying. It has a kind of curdled yogurt smell to it. It has a smell like - If you were to get a bunch of old GQ magazines from the '90's and tear out all the scent strips and rub each one on the same spot on your arm...and do this for the course of HOURS, in the end your arm would probably smell like Pure Lavender. Oh, I HATE it.

Then last night when I tried to wash it off, it got even worse smelling after my shower. It still smelled strongly, but the notes had bled into even more of a screeching mess.

And with regards to Rochas Man... I don't have a really strong opinion either way. It's OK, but I never wear it much.

Death to Lavender!
    Honestly, why is it so ubiquitous? Indie, I remember trying Pure Vetiver and kinda liking it and now I'm glad I steered clear of the Lavender.

I love the scent of lavender on those days I care for something sharp, but only happy to wear it if it evolves, and never constant. I appreciate the lavender in Jicky. Mauboussin is on my hit list for a lavender scent.

But the most loathesome scent I've ever encountered was Agua Brava...it smells exactly like what Indie describes as taking all those scent strips and rubbing all on the same spot. Next in line is Bandit...overbearing and plain out vulgar if you ask me.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I just bought another bottle of it. It's not as lavandery as Lanvin L'Homme. A great little scent.

I can't fathom why you dislike it so much - unless the lavander is too pure and doing to you what it does to quite a few people, namely lowering your blood pressure.
    Renato

I love lavender. Used well, it's a great bridge between sharper top notes and woodier or sweeter base notes.

I have nothing against "lavender" itself. I love Jo Malone Amber and Lavender Cologne. I think if I think about some of my faves, stuff like Rive Gauche Pour Homme, lavender actually figures quite prominently.

I guess I prefer really dry lavender. To me Pure Lavender is just sickening. It smells like a retarded Montblanc Individuel. All the sweetness... I just don't really even GET lavender out of it. It has kind of the same fake lavender as Sander For Men, except Sander For Men is OK.

Since I hate this scent so much, I have half a mind to try to force myself to try it again and again to see if I can change my mind. I rarely HATE a fragrance. But Pure Lavender is not high on my list. At least the bottle looks cool and I got it cheap. It's not as bad if I spray it on paper and then rub it on my skin. I'm finding it to be almost another story.. But to spray it directly on my skin, it's lethal.

And BTW Renato, I guess since I hate this stuff, then the alleged "lavender" in it is not doing a very good job of lowering my blood pressure!

Again, I really like Pure Vetiver, so I guess I'm really surprised that the Lavender is bad in my opinion. I was thinking it had the potential to be great.

Also regarding Azzaro scents...I think I dislike Visit as well. Got a good deal on it. Loved it the day I bought it...but over the last couple of weeks, I don't care for it so much. One of the very few incense scents that I find cloying. I don't hate it though, I just don't like it as much as I thought I did.

For a very sickening lavender, give Patou Voyageur a try! It even causes sore throat...

The only lavender I like is the one that stays in the background, like in RG ph, I didn't even know there was lavender in it. I am one of those who thinks the lavender dry down spoiled rather than enhenced Rochas man. And recently, I tried Gris Clair, the latest release from Serge Lutens, and I was turned off by the pure herbal raw lavender scent. It was like lavender petals crushed and made to bleed all the juices inside, which to me smell like crushed dead bugs. :P
    Sorry, I mean no offence to fans of this scent. I'm sure it will be of the highest Lutens quality. Its just the lavender that I can't stand.