Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances that Could Be Relatives...

And I don't mean fragrance family (chypre, oriental, etc.)- I mean fragrances that could be in a make-believe "family," like brothers and sisters and whatnot. Here are three examples:

Diesel Zero Plus and Escada Magnetism- If you are familiar with these two, you would know that they seem to share very similar basenotes, though their characters in general are quite different. I'd say they are brothers- Diesel Zero Plus is the in-your-face, attention getting bully at first notice, but after you get to know him for a while, he's actually very sweet and a lot deeper than you expected. Escada Magnetism is much more shy, sort of reserved and, well, a bit fruity. Though he's nothing like his brother at first, you'll find that he's actually quite similar. Maybe he's not as sweet, but he seems even more sophisticated and deep.

Jaipur and Acier Aluminum- These were twins separated at birth. Jaipur was raised by a middle-class family with good morals. He likes to party a bit, but never gets too crazy. If you push him too far, he'll get in your face, though, and you might regret it. He may be a bit rough around the edges at times, but he's really a nice guy and usually pleasant, but not when the weather gets hot. Acier Aluminum, on the other hand, was raised by a very wealthy family, and definately spent his time in finishing school. He's super-sophisticated, and no matter how hard you push him, he keeps his cool. There's nothing at all rough about him- his clothing is sharp and pressed, his skin is well-groomed, and is personality is kind. He's a real ladies' man and always knows what to say- and they can't keep their hands off of him.

Millesime Imperial and Unforgivable- MI is a very well-off kid. He has a wonderful family and a terrific upbringing. He was something unique and very special, even if his ADD kept him from sticking around long enough to really enjoy his presence (the ladies said he didn't last very long, either ). Mrs. Lauder was upset at not having such a great son, so together with the evil Dr. Puffy, they stole some of MI's DNA and made an exact clone. Unfortunately they were unable to capture some of MI's subtle nuances, but were happy with how exact a clone they were able to make with the cheapest possible materials. Most people can't tell the difference between the two when they first meet, but those who know MI know how much more sophisticated and refined he is than his synthetic clone brother.

Of course, fragrances don't have to be brothers- it would be nice to see some brother/sister relatives (try to be more creative than the For Men/For Women varieties if you are going to do a brother/sister comparison...) or father/son combinations. Let me know the fragrances you think are in the same "family!"

Default Re: Fragrances that are in the same "Family"

Coco mademoiselle, Miss dior chèrie and Sarah Jessica Parker - Lovely.

Of these three, Coco mademoiselle is the fairly young but classy mother, Lovely is the older sister that just went to college and Miss dior chèrie is the youngest daughter that looks up to her older sister and wants to be just like her.

Salvador (not Salvador Dali), Opium and Arabie (Arabie after ca. 30 minutes on my skin). Similar (I mean drydown), like real "brothers". Some friends of mine can't smell difference.

nicely put stuffman...
    Let your nose be your pilot

Default Re: Fragrances that Could Be Relatives...

I changed the topic title because I thought people may have seen the title and may not have thought this was a "fun" thread...

Good ones so far. I know there are a lot of creative people around here, so I'd like to hear more!

Kouros is the black sheep son of Paco Rabanne PH.

Body Kouros is twisted cousin of Rochas Man.

Aaah, these Kouros boys... :

Cristobal is Joop's older brother

Dolce + Gabbana pour Homme and Versace's The Dreamer are brothers. I've made that statement before here, a verrrry long time ago.

D+G pour Homme is the younger brother - very corporate, always clean, usually wearing a tie. Not quite a "yuppie," but definitely a refined and business-like, also very popular after work. He's possibly a little corrupt, but if he is, very few people - if any - know about it. When I envision D+GpH, I think of a young James Spader, with glasses, in a suit.

The Dreamer is the older brother - rougher, darker, dirtier, more muscular, and not as educated. He dresses in black a lot, probably drives a motorcycle, and he's willing to go "around the law" if necessary to get things done. However, he's still really cool. The Dreamer is the outlaw of the family, willing to step in and beat the crap out of anybody who threatens D+GpH. In his offtime, the Dreamer hangs out in the dimly-lit corners of dark coffee shoppes, and he just kind of glares at people. When I envision the Dreamer, I think of the Undertaker from the WWE.

Badger 8-)

I am straining to resist the temptation of making a reference to the MI/Unforgivable similarity. I think I have met my Unforgivable-joke quota for the year.

ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Blog Entries

Of course there's the GIT/Cool Water similarity, but I'm not witty enough to make it into an anecdote
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

CdG Tar is a completely mad brother of Bvlgari Black.

Mouchoir de Monsieur and Jicky are brother and sister. *Jicky, when dressed up in her
    Eau de Toilette attire, looks all carefree and ready for a run through the lavender field.
    Mouchoir, a bit too conservative for such a spontaneous sprint through the fields, nevertheless
    is willing to pick some of the flowering herbs and analyze their scent.

They both share an interest in zoology, as the smell of the civet cat doesn't seem to bother either one.

Aramis Havana is like the younger brother of Chanel Antaeus, who took up smoking cigars and drinks fruit punch cocktails.

Bois du Portugal dresses in tweed jackets and talks like William F. Buckley.
    Nicolai New York joined the family as his brother-in-law. *New York has acquired
    some of his dressing habits, but since he didn't grow up in an Old Money family,
    he can't be so stuffy. *He'll wear kakhi's when it suits him. *Both are dapper, though,
    and men as well as women enjoy their company.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    CdG Tar is a completely mad brother of Bvlgari Black.
    What are you doing to me Pigeon Murderer? Since Bvlgari Black is my #1 now I am doomed only to buy a bottle of Tar blind. I don't know where I would find a sample or decant.

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    [quote author=Pigeon Murderer link=1147422908/0#10 date=1147765375]CdG Tar is a completely mad brother of Bvlgari Black.
    What are you doing to me Pigeon Murderer? Since Bvlgari Black is my #1 now I am doomed only to buy a bottle of Tar blind. I don't know where I would find a sample or decant.[/quote]

Well, if Bvlgari Black is your number one, I`m still not sure you would like Tar at all. Like I said, it is completely mad scent comparing to Black, and I know most of the people find it quite simply unwearable. (like almost everything in Synthetic line).

Anyway, to me Tar has always smelled like Bvlgari Black, which has been sniffin glue at dinner, and then had serious butane-gas tripping for desert.