Code of Conduct

Default We have a Champion

Egoiste defeats Bois du Portual 26-22

Thanks for all who participated. Though it created some controversy, I had fun arranging it and we had some close battles with some matchups.

Default Re: We have a Champion

Egoiste wins? I sense corruption...

That was fun though, we should do it again next year.

Well, what can I say? Égoïste has been one of my biggest faves since it was launched in 1990 plus it's the scent I got married in... if a scent ever deserved to win, Égoïste sure did! 8-) :-*
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Now what does this mean for Egoiste? Does it get a blue ribbon and a pat on the back? I don't understand...

If it is not your SOTD tomorrow then this whole thing was a waste!! I'll never wear the stuff because it is bad on me. I hope those who like it continue to like it and are unchanged by this poll. I was not altered... I still dislike this stuff to a high degree...

EnvYuS

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    I still dislike this stuff to a high degree...
    Me too ... to the nth degree.

Definitely a good example of a "love it or hate it" frag.

I liked the poll overall though ... thought it was a lot of fun.

Basenotes Plus

I would think that many more have tried Egoiste and therefore voted for it, never having tried BDP. That is the problem with many polls here. Some of the choices are expensive and/or rare and it becomes an availability contest.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    I'll never wear the stuff because it is bad on me. I hope those who like it continue to like it and are unchanged by this poll. I was not altered... I still dislike this stuff to a high degree...
    ditto

Well, dear boys:
    a) go to http://www.basenotes.net/index.html
    b) scroll down for "most desired masculine scents"

Look who's there on top... :
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Plus

I am not sure how "most desired" is determined but I assume it is from the "wanted" lists. Considering that some may not even include those frags that they know are out of their monetary reach, it is not surprising that BDP is not rated ahead of Egoiste despite it being so highly touted here.

Thanks for your time and effort in carrying out the tedious logistics of this whole thing Mark. Despite many's inevitable chagrin at the outcome, it was very enjoyable nonetheless. I appreciate it. Sincere thanks Mark.

I just think that next time we need to have a swimsuit competition. Trust me, if you ever see a bottle of Gentleman in a Barbie doll bikini, you'll know what I mean. [smiley=azn.gif]

I've worn BdP for years. It's a fine fragrance, espcially for the first hour. But IMO it's not even in the same league as Egoiste.

Egoiste is one of the best men's fragrances ever created.

Creeds haven't lived up to my expectations over the years. I've owned several bottles and big flacons of many of them. While they usually smell outstanding, they most often don't fully satisfy. They're a bit cold and often need weight and presence. My companion likes intensely masculine fragrances but has never thought all that much of BdP, nor has she perceived it as being all that masculine. Egoiste, however, elicits quite different feelings.

BdP is a good fragrance, although certainly not worthy of being in the finals here. More power to those who seem to genuinely love it. I wear it occasionally since I own an 8 oz flacon, but it lacks substance and never truly floats my boat. Egoiste wears like pure gold one me and never lets up.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

now i haven't smelled every frag there is in this world but i would put Egoiste on top priority over others!
    Happy with the results!.

Quote Originally Posted by Davisdujour
    Thanks for your time and effort in carrying out the tedious logistics of this whole thing Mark. Despite many's inevitable chagrin at the outcome, it was very enjoyable nonetheless. I appreciate it. Sincere thanks Mark.
    Ditto - thanks a lot for undertaking this effort. No poll like this will ever make everyone happy, so I try to look at it as a fun diversion. It was fun to see who was picking what and why. Thanks again for your efforts!

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    I've worn BdP for years. It's a fine fragrance, espcially for the first hour. But IMO it's not even in the same league as Egoiste.

Egoiste is one of the best men's fragrances ever created.

Creeds haven't lived up to my expectations over the years. I've owned several bottles and big flacons of many of them. While they usually smell outstanding, they most often don't fully satisfy. They're a bit cold and often need weight and presence. My companion likes intensely masculine fragrances but has never thought all that much of BdP, nor has she perceived it as being all that masculine. Egoiste, however, elicits quite different feelings.

BdP is a good fragrance, although certainly not worthy of being in the finals here. More power to those who seem to genuinely love it. I wear it occasionally since I own an 8 oz flacon, but it lacks substance and never truly floats my boat. Egoiste wears like pure gold one me and never lets up.

I agree. *Egoiste is in a class by itself, and BdP is merely great. *I would have been just as disapponted as the BdP lovers are now, had Egoiste lost.

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    [quote author=Davisdujour link=1147664035/0#9 date=1147709639] Thanks for your time and effort in carrying out the tedious logistics of this whole thing Mark. Despite many's inevitable chagrin at the outcome, it was very enjoyable nonetheless. I appreciate it. Sincere thanks Mark.
    Ditto - thanks a lot for undertaking this effort. *No poll like this will ever make everyone happy, so I try to look at it as a fun diversion. *It was fun to see who was picking what and why. *Thanks again for your efforts! *[/quote]

Ditto. *It was fun.

Thanks for your nice words. Many good points were brought up during the contest. About half way through I followed advice in not voting if I hadn't worn both. For the championship, I exercised restraint in not voting Bois du Portugal because it was my first niche added to my collection, and I had not given my Egoiste sample a full wearing. I had only been a member here for about a month and I expect next time a tourney comes up, if no one wants to run it, I will have then gotten a better knowledge of how better to nominate frags and run a tournament like this.