Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Sanzio

Default Organic / Natural Fragrances?

After reading this http://www.environmentalhealth.ca/fall97scents.html I really got concerned about wearing fragrances :-?... I really wish I could find a 100% natural fragrance, just natural ingredients. Can you help me? I wonder if there is one, just one... :'(

Default Re: 100% natural fragrances? Are there?

This has been asked before and the response was basically no. It's hard enough to find 100% natural food nowadays let alone fragrances. If a scent was 100% natural, it would be a really difficult task to keep it from going stale. Just like food, it would only stay fresh for a limited time in the refrigerator.

You could buy some 100% natural essential oils (which aren't hard to find) and mix some drops with a carrier oil or alcohol. You then have a 100% natural fragrance but I guess you won't smell like Antaeus, A*men or Voleur de Roses.

Take a look at the L'occitane's perfumes. Some of them are completely natural like their Lavender fragrance.

You can try these * :

http://www.aftelier.com/cgi/home.pl

http://naturalperfumery.com/

http://profumo.it/

Edited : don't know why the last link doesn't quite work , but if you go to the URL , there sure is a site that has a wonderful selection.

The Art of Shaving Sandalwood is made from essential oils only and is also my favorite sandalwood

I believe Patyka is 100% natural.

i skimmed the article. not sure if they mentioned it, but benzene is a particularly bad one. i believe i've seen a form of it listed as a component in many colognes/perfumes. it's a carcinogen, can suppress your auto-immune system, and has other negative health effects as well. other benzene-like chemicals such as toluene, xylene, and phenol are also bad for you (if i recall).

that doesn't mean i'm going to stop using fragrances, but it is something to consider if you are putting it on your skin every day (remember that chemicals are absorbed through the skin), not to mention inhaling it. :-/

Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado

So how do you see what's in your fragrances? Not possible is it?

^
    usually it's vague descriptions. but they'll often tell you what kind of alcohol or whatever is used.

in addition, you can check out these resources:
    [hr]
    1.) http://www.herc.org/news/perfume/risks.htm

2.) http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2/
    2a) http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2...&showall=1
    2b) http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2...&showall=1

I have heard of Grandiflorum. Essential oils mixed with corn alcohol.
    http://www.naturaessentials.com/ne_grand_perfume.html

Aubrey Organics also has some colognes and a mens line called Mens Stock with shave cream and aftershave. I have used the shave cream and aftershave lotion and they are really good products; close shave, moisturizing, light natural scent. The shave cream uses natural oil from pine, menthol, benzoin, rosemary, sage and the after shave uses pine, menthol, cedar. The after shave has some sweetness and smells a little like a cross between Gucci Envy and Polo Green. Denatured alcohol is supposedly a culprit to look out for in perfume/cologne cosmetics. At least when I too searched for a natural formulated cologne.

not sure if they mentioned it, but benzene is a particularly bad one. i believe i've seen a form of it listed as a component in many colognes/perfumes.
    No, there is no benzene in any fragrances.

What do you mean by "a form of it"? There is only one form of benzene.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Sanzio

Well, My question is: are fragrances, if you wear them every day, harmful to your health?

After reading this http://www.environmentalhealth.ca/fall97scents.html I really got concerned about wearing fragrances
    I am not surprised. Making you afraid of fragrances is the purpose of the lies and misinformation at this site.

Well, My question is: are fragrances, if you wear them every day, harmful to your health?
    Everything is harmful to your health. Even the oxygen in the air you breathe creates free radicals in your body that cause cancer and aging.

Eh, I'm going to die eventually. Pass me the EDP!
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen

poor choice of words maybe. i mean benzo-whatever, basically a benzene ring with something attached to it. i assume you know what i mean. or with one of the H's substituted with something else. i'm pretty sure i saw some "form" of it listed in guerlain vetiver and a couple others for example. but i suppose i could be wrong. i didn't write it down or anything. just from memory.

Everything is harmful to your health. Even the oxygen in the air you breathe creates free radicals in your body that cause cancer and aging.
    yeah true. but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to minimize the danger where you can. i'm not a chemist, nor an expert on the health effects of cologne. but it's always good to have the info. we can use it as we choose.

Sanzio said: After reading this http://www.environmentalhealth.ca/fall97scents.html I really got concerned about wearing fragrances
    I am not surprised. Making you afraid of fragrances is the purpose of the lies and misinformation at this site.
    i'm curious. did you find any factual errors in the original article posted? i only skimmed it.

Sanzio

Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    [quote author=dcampen link=1129616721/0#11 date=1129650653]

poor choice of words maybe. *i mean benzo-whatever, basically a benzene ring with something attached to it. *i assume you know what i mean. *or with one of the H's substituted with something else. *i'm pretty sure i saw some "form" of it listed in guerlain vetiver and a couple others for example. *but i suppose i could be wrong. *i didn't write it down or anything. *just from memory. *

yeah true. *but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to minimize the danger where you can. *i'm not a chemist, nor an expert on the health effects of cologne. *but it's always good to have the info. *we can use it as we choose.[/quote]

I agree with you! We all know if you drink and smoke too much you will probably have a cancer. What about inhaling and putting strong chemicals on your skin every day? I love living and I want to live as much as I can, or God wants, of course

Sanzio, no one here can honestly tell you if in the long run wearing fragrances are harmful to your health. They don't know. I think what you asking is if it could cause cancer. As you know their are associated risks with everything we do in life. I would guess to say that cologne & perfume use have a very low one. I came back to add that just because a product is formulated of natural ingredients it may still be harmful to your health ie. skin and respiratory allergic reactions. I think it is a good idea to be conscious of what we put on and in our bodies, and what we come in contact with. My belief is everything in moderation. I think we all want to live a long, healthy, happy life.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan
    My belief is everything in moderation.
    a good rule to live by.

poor choice of words maybe. *i mean benzo-whatever, basically a benzene ring with something attached to it. *i assume you know what i mean. *or with one of the H's substituted with something else. *i'm pretty sure i saw some "form" of it listed in guerlain vetiver and a couple others for example. *but i suppose i could be wrong. *i didn't write it down or anything. *just from memory.
    The principal components of all natural oil of cinnamon have a benzene ring in their chemical structure, the same for all natural oil of rose, oil of clove etc. also the synthetic fibres that your clothes are made out of, also some of the amino acids that your body is composed of contain a benzene ring in their structure.

There is only one form of benzene, it is toxic but nothing can be said about the toxicity of a compound simply because it contains a benzene ring in its chemical structure.

Some of the most potent carcinogens known are natural substances. Aflatoxin from moldy peanuts for one example.

it is toxic but nothing can be said about the toxicity of a compound simply because it contains a benzene ring in its chemical structure.
    ah, i could have sworn that i learned in college orgo that small substutions in benzene does not automatically render it safe to humans. for example, if memory serves, when i worked in research (years ago), we made sure to use toluene under the hood... but you probably know what you're talking about, so i'll take your word for it. of course benzene is just one example of potential toxic substances in fragrances... meh.

Some of the most potent carcinogens known are natural substances. Aflatoxin from moldy peanuts for one example.
    yes.

Some of y'all are concerned about wearing cologne and the health risks........... :-?

I'm 66+ years old and started smoking pipe tobacco in my early 20s. Smoked it 3-4 HOURS after supper every night. I switched over to cigars about 10 years ago and then to Cuban cigars about 3 years ago. I smoke 2-4, 7"x49 ring gauge(a little bigger in diameter than a 'nickel' cigars per day.

Cologne doesn't 'skeer' me 8-).

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

ah, i could have sworn that i learned in college orgo that small substutions in benzene does not automatically render it safe to humans. for example, if memory serves, when i worked in research (years ago), we made sure to use toluene under the hood...
    Nothing is "safe". Even oxygen is toxic. But small substitutions on the benzene ring do alter the toxicity by orders of magnitude; benzene is a potent carcinogen, toluene (methylbenzene) is not. Certainly, I would only work with benzene in a fume hood but requiring a fume hood to work with toluene; that is an over abundance of caution unless it was only because toluene is flammable.

But, yes, to be as safe as possible one should not wear any fragrances even all natural ones.

benzene is a potent carcinogen, toluene (methylbenzene) is not. Certainly, I would only work with benzene in a fume hood but requiring a fume hood to work with toluene; that is an over abundance of caution unless it was only because toluene is flammable.
    hmm maybe that was the reason.

But, yes, to be as safe as possible one should not wear any fragrances even all natural ones.
    heh well i don't think anyone is suggesting that, but i don't think it's unreasonable to try to find out what exactly is in the stuff that we spray on ourselves every day, and whether or not it's bad for us. for example, http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2...;id=1000000128 taking a sniff of it - surely harmless. drinking gallons of it - surely harmful. spraying it on yourself every day for years? i don't know. somewhere in between i suppose. anyway, i'm not too concerned. but some people might be.

This is such a muddled analysis it would take a while for me to decontsruct it. These people should take a class in critical thinking - or, better, just send me all of what they are smoking.

This is such a muddled analysis it would take a while for me to decontsruct it. These people should take a class in critical thinking - or, better, just send me all of what they are smoking.
    heh heh. well if you're interested, the methodology is here: http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2/info_about.php

well if you're interested, the methodology is here:
    Lots of words doesn't make the analysis accurate.

For examples:

If a fragrance lists only "Fragrance, alcohol and water" it gets a low hazard rating. If the same fragrance lsited all of the ingredients it would get a much higher hazard score as your example did.

Triethanolamine is a nitrosating agent?? I don't think so. Triethanolamine is an amine, it could react with a nitrosating agent (such as sodium nitrite in an acidic environment) to form a carcinogenic nitrosamine but it is not a nitrosating agent. Triethanolamine is widely used in cosmetics.

A negative score for containing BHT?? BHT is widely used in foods and considered safe but these people consider it toxic in topical use.

I think a company called "Herban Cowboy" makes an organic fragrance called Dusk. I've seen it at Whole Foods. It isn't bad, but it isn't great either. Fiancee called it "too flowery" giving it the nix.
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava