Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Default Re: Looking for the all natural men's

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    While the Art of Shaving stuff is nice, they are definitely using synthetics. There's no way to make a lemon note last anywhere near as long as it does in their Lemon EdT!
    I'm not doubting your nose or expertise, but I will say that for me the pure lemon pretty quickly evolves into something more like verbena and/or lemongrass. That's not to say that either of those notes would be particularly long-lived, but certainly both last better than lemon. The piercing brightness of pure citrus is gone in minutes on my skin, but then, I don't get much longevity out of any topnotes.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Terre d'Hermes
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Lubin Vetiver Itasca
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Aveda is great. Burt's Bees has two fragrances that are pretty good.

Most of L'Occitane's are naturally-based, but as I mentioned, there are some synthetics.
    Last edited by Primrose; 24th May 2010 at 05:17 AM.
    "...her fragrance all in my keeping; softly she comes in the night." Lyrics, Gordon Lightfoot, "Softly."

Default Re: natural perfume houses?

And you can also check out a whole bunch of us on
    http://www.naturalperfumers.com

Ambrosia
    Perfume is the highest form of art

http://perfumebynature.blogspot.com

Lightbulb Re: natural perfume houses?

It's great to find other people interested in natural perfumes. Patchouli-drenched head shops have given natural fragrances a bad rep, and it can be hard to find top-quality natural perfumes; many lack complexity, others lack staying power, and some are better suited to aromatherapy than a fragrance you would actually wear. It's also hard to find fragrances that are truly natural: even essential oils sold at health food stores can contain synthetic ingredients. But I've come across some great companies that offer environmentally-friendly phthalte-free all-natural scents:

================================

Acorelle, based in France, is a certified, 100% natural line of perfume containing more than 90% organic ingredients. [WIKI]www.laboratoire-odysud.fr/engagement_eng.html[/WIKI]

A Perfume Organic, based in Manhattan, is a completely organic fragrance line. All of the oils are obtained from organic, wild-harvested and sustainable sources & each formula is certified USDA organic. Their packaging and bottles can be planted and recycled. [WIKI]aperfumeorganic.com[/WIKI]

Both Acorelle and A Perfume Organic products are available at [WIKI]Futurenatural.com[/WIKI]

=================================

I Profumi di Firenze is a top-quality perfume house based in Florence, Italy. They use Renaissance recepies and all-natural ingredients in their fragrances.

Here is info I was sent from their US importer:

So glad to hear you are enjoying sampling i Profumi di Firenze.
    There are definitely no phthalates in our fragrances. I had that confirmed by our perfumer when I first started this venture as that is a question we get asked often and also purity in all the products I personally use have always been a major concern of mine.
    The fragrances are made with all natural ingredients (including the alcohol, which is all natural and of a high-quality) The fragrances are not 100% organic but our perfumer tries to use as much organic flowers and fruits in the creation of his essences (essential oils) which are the basis for the perfumes.
    If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me. Thank you for your interest.

Kindest regards,
    Miryana
    Miryana Isabella Babic
    Isabella Imports - i Profumi di Firenze
    1223 Wilshire Blvd. #293
    Santa Monica, CA 90403
    miryana@isabellaimports.com
    [WIKI]www.isabellaimports.com[/WIKI]

Ayala Moriel Parfums, based in Vancouver, is an all-natural artisan natural perfume house. In addition to using all-natural ingredients, the company states:
    • We do our best to use products that are sweatshop free. Out bottles are made in France, and our packaging and printing is designed and manufactured locally.
    • We do our best to avoid using endangered species in our perfumes. We also source as much organic and ethically wild crafted essences as we can for our perfumes.
    [WIKI]www.ayalamoriel.com[/WIKI]

==============================

Garden Botanika is not a completely all-natural company, but they do offer some all-natural products:

Information from their Customer Service rep:
    While our fragrances may not be completely all natural, we do have fragrance options that may appeal to you.
    Our Heart So Natural fragrance contains no of sulfate, glycol, parabens, phthalates, or artificial dyes. It is also 100% vegan.

The following fragrances are phthalate-free:
    Almond Cream
    Joy to the Girl
    Peace

I hope I was able to answer your questions. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Have a great day!

Susan Urani
    Customer Care Representative
    [WIKI]www.gardenbotanika.com[/WIKI]
    1-800-968-7842

==================================

Aubrey Organics, offers 100% natural fragrances made with a minimum of 95% certified organic ingredients, free of synthetic aldehydes and petrochemicals, and formulated for people with sensitive skin. Vegan and not tested on animals. Their manufacturing facilities are certified organic and they are the only American cosmetic manufacturer to receive the European BDIH seal, meaning they meet or exceed strict guidelines for the manufacture of natural cosmetics..

Unfortunlatey, they don't sell fragrance samples, but you can sample them in spas and stores which carry the products. Or you can take advantage of their 100% cash-back satisfaction guarantee if you don't care for their scents.

[WIKI]www.aubrey-organics.com[/WIKI]

Lush Cosmetics, based in the UK, offers spray and solid fragrances.

From their company statement
    We believe in making effective products from fresh, organic* fruit and vegetables, the finest essential oils and safe synthetics.
    * We also believe words like fresh and organic have honest meaning beyond marketing.

We believe in buying ingredients only from companies that do not commission tests on animals and in testing our products on humans.

We invent our own products and fragrances. We make them fresh by hand using little or no preservative or packaging, using only vegetarian ingredients.

Their statement on preservatives:
    Preservatives are by nature poisonous, and have more to do with profit, supply chains and convenience than healthy hair and skin, or the environment. Of the 300 products we make, about two thirds are unpreserved. To achieve this, we use fresh ingredients and minimal amounts of water. Liquid products containing water require some preservative due to the bacteria potential of the environment. Using preservatives gives products greater practicality, allowing for longer shelf life and room temperature storage. The two preservatives we do use (methylparaben and propylparaben) are the safest, mildest ones we can find, and have been used in cosmetics and skin care for 60 years. Using more, or stronger, synthetics would mean compromising the benefits to your skin. We'd be more profitable if we preserved a product to last three years and warehoused the goods, but we think you deserve better. If you look at a non-LUSH product and it doesn’t have a label showing when it was made, it could be anything up to 3 years old. We only sell our preserved products for up to 4 months after they’re made, and their total shelf life is 14 months.

[WIKI]www.lush.com[/WIKI]

===================================

Annick Goutal, Paris is not an all-natural company, but most of their ingredients are natural, and in general they go light on the synthetics.

Information from their customer service rep:
    Thank you for email and your interest in Annick Goutal Perfumes.
    For your information, please note that we use a very small quantity of phthalates in our fragrances.
    If you are afraid to use them, we invite you to try them on the skin and then to see the reactions on your skin.
    Please finally note that most of the ingredients that we are using in our perfumes are natural.
    I hope this information will help you and stay at your disposal should you have further requests.

Kind Regards

Magali QUENET
    Parfums Annick Goutal
    Responsable e-commerce
    +33 (0)1.40.71.20.81
    [WIKI]www.annickgoutal.com[/WIKI]

As phthalates are being phased out of the U.S. market, and customers become educated about the risks of synthetic ingredients, hopefully more natural fragrances will become available.

I'm looking forward to hearing about other natural perfume houses you may come across!

There are some natural musks that come from plant sources. For instance, Annick Goutal's Musc Nomade uses white musks stemming from angelica root and ambrette seeds, since creators Isabelle Doyen and Camille Goutal were committed to creating a quality musk made in an environmentaly-ethical way without the use of animal products.

From wikipedia: Some plants such as Angelica archangelica or Abelmoschus moschatus produce musky smelling macrocyclic lactone compounds. These compounds are widely used in perfumery as substitutes for animal musk or to alter the smell of a mixture of other musks.

The plant sources include musk flower (Mimulus moschatus), the muskwood (Olearia argophylla) of the Guianas and West Indies, and the seeds of Abelmoschus moschatus (musk seeds).

Synthetics can make people sick. I have to be very careful about what perfumes I wear/sniff or it's headache/nausea/asthma attacks for me.

Default Organic / Natural Fragrances?

Do you know of any good organic / all natural fragrances?

I'm bit of a health nut and a heck of a lot of modern fragrances are full chemicals that are toxic to the body (phthalates, benzoates etc. some example info: http://www.ewg.org/files/SafeCosmetics_FragranceRpt.pdf ) so I'm beginning to veer towards more natural fragrances

Sound Scents

Default Re: Organic / Natural Fragrances?

I would look at the excellent offerings of Aftelier.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Strange Invisible Perfumes?

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I would look at the excellent offerings of Aftelier.

+1 They have some of the best fragrances I have ever encountered. It is such a shame they get categorised away from mainstream niche perfumery into a "natural" sub-section so often.

Do you know of any good organic / all natural fragrances?
    If you're worried about your health. Take it from someone who has been on the production side. Organic is nothing but a marketing term/buzzword and all too often utterly meaningless. Very few countries have regulations surrounding what can and cannot be called organic/natural and you cannot trust companies interested only in their bottom line to police themselves. I've picked up far too many supposedly organic or natural cosmetics and the like only to find them loaded with petro-chemicals and other nasty things.

Don't worry about brands. Look into botanical names and so on and the various industry terms for nasty chemicals so you can study the ingrediants yourself and make an informed decision from product to product.

This isn't just paranoid rambling.

Aftelier and Strange Invisible look great

Keep em coming

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Miket View Post
    If you're worried about your health. Take it from someone who has been on the production side. Organic is nothing but a marketing term/buzzword and all too often utterly meaningless. Very few countries have regulations surrounding what can and cannot be called organic/natural and you cannot trust companies interested only in their bottom line to police themselves. I've picked up far too many supposedly organic or natural cosmetics and the like only to find them loaded with petro-chemicals and other nasty things.

Don't worry about brands. Look into botanical names and so on and the various industry terms for nasty chemicals so you can study the ingrediants yourself and make an informed decision from product to product.

This isn't just paranoid rambling.
    You're not wrong, the terms organic and natural have no inherent meaning in this industry in many countries and regulation e.g. ECOCERT classifies organic perfumes as "Organic home perfumes: at least 95% of the plant-based ingredients (excluding alcohol) must be sourced from organic farming, and at least 10% of all ingredients must be sourced from organic farming." ...what about the other percentages?!

I'm looking at the specific ingredients of fragrances (I have a pretty good idea of what's what there due to understanding of bio-chemistry). So long as a company is honest about the ingredients then should be ok. Thanks for your reply, it is a minefield out there!

I think Yves Saint Rocher make a couple.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Hugo (1995)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

There are several listed here: http://naturalperfumers.com/memberlist.php
    Currently wearing: The Wendol by Blackbird

Whoever's clipped together all these older threads into one, thanks!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sanzio View Post
    After reading this http://www.environmentalhealth.ca/fall97scents.html I really got concerned about wearing fragrances :-?... I really wish I could find a 100% natural fragrance, just natural ingredients. Can you help me? I wonder if there is one, just one... :'(
    even the niche brands which claim to be natural are mostly synthetic ingredients, just higher quality synthetic ingredients

besides, its not like these chemical ingredients cause ACTUAL harm

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

I think Honoré Des Prés scents are supposed to be natural but not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    even the niche brands which claim to be natural are mostly synthetic ingredients, just higher quality synthetic ingredients

besides, its not like these chemical ingredients cause ACTUAL harm
    Not sure I agree with that.

Plenty of ingredients in fragrances have been linked to be toxic in many different ways. Take phthalates as just one example...

Links with cancers and tumours:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20368132
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22871597

Decreased fertility:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22832070
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/6683.php

Disrupting hormone balance:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22871016
    http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/newsc...phthalates.htm

Effects genes:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22949852

Effects thryoid function:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22690712

etc. etc. And phthalates just one family of chemicals amongst dozens and dozens used in modern fragrances. And then there's risks of ingredients we're not even aware of yet.

I know I sound like I'm scaremongering a bit here but I value my health more than I do smelling pretty (though some great suggestions in this thread means it looks like I can have my cake and eat it )