Code of Conduct

Default Azzaro Silver Black - Potent Scents are Back

Today was a testing day. On my hands I have Caron Third Man (very interesting), GianFranco Ferre's original (started of smelling old, turned good in 15 minutes), Lagerfeld Man (Lagerfeld joins the crowd and goes subtle), Jasper Conrad (okay, I suppose), Occitane Homme (pretty good), Goutal's Mandragore (seems to get stronger with time), Goutal's les Nuits de Hadrian (pretty good) and Azzaro's Silver Black.

I was pretty ho hum toward the Silver Black when it was sprayed on the last remaining spot on my hand. But in the ensuing hour it has pretty much overpowered everything else I'm wearing. I get very impressed with scents which have prodigious output.
    Renato

Default Re: Azzaro Silver Black - Potent Scents are Back

Good insight, Renato. I wonder if Silver Black is Azzaro's answer to the failed Onyx? Let us know more on this when you get a chance as I am a big fan of the Azzaro house, very dissapointed though with Onyx. mm
    Peace ~ Markymark

Can you accurately judge a fragrance when so many are on your hands at one time?

ONYX and Silver Black are the same scent. ONYX is used in United States.

I have Silver Black too. I admit it's a very strong scent, stick to the skin all day long. I've tried putting it on my wrist at night and the next day I still smell it, which is different from other scents as they disappeared.

Renato, despite its strength, do you like the scent? Do you think it's mysterious as it was advertised?
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

A mighty output indeed. One could blast pedestrians out from one’s path with a sound dousing of Silver Black (Onyx to us Yanks).
    I wasn't too thrilled with this one myself :x
    edit: hey Kiat we're post twins!
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

^
    The Silver Black Attitude, spirit and soul

Silver Black is a reflection of men’s dual nature…
    between strength and fragility
    audacity and generosity
    sophistication and virility,
    Siver Black unveils the mystery while revealing itself.

The metallic freshness of silver combined
    with the power of Black
    offers elegant, sparkling,
    enchanting and masculine seduction
    that is cherished by all women.
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    Can you accurately judge a fragrance when so many are on your hands at one time?
    Four of them I'd put on two and a half hours earlier after I left my dentist (who had used some new fangled salt spray to clean my teeth - the mist from which had gone all over my face - such that I looked like I'd been in a yacht race.) So I had several hours to check them out prior to applying the others.

I mainly go for strong ones, so it doesn't bother me if I fail to accurately evaluate the inoffensive, weak ones - that's the only rating they deserve.

My problem at the moment is that I'm now not sure which of the Annick Goutal ones it is that is impressing me - I'm pretty sure it's Madragore, but it may be Les Nuits.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk

Renato, despite its strength, do you like the scent? *Do you think it's mysterious as it was advertised?
    My initial thought was "No - not that enthused"
    By the time I got back to the office, I was enthused, it's output was different from that on which I based my initial perception.
    Now several hours later, it's changed some more and I think its a pretty good rustic scent - but I'm not that into rustic scents.

I've got a sample of it to try at home. I'm curious to see what it'll be like worn under my clothes.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=KiatBkk link=1144381335/0#3 date=1144382109]

Renato, despite its strength, do you like the scent? Do you think it's mysterious as it was advertised?
    My initial thought was "No - not that enthused"
    By the time I got back to the office, I was enthused, it's output was different from that on which I based my initial perception.
    Now several hours later, it's changed some more and I think its a pretty good rustic scent - but I'm not that into rustic scents.

I've got a sample of it to try at home. I'm curious to see what it'll be like worn under my clothes.
    Renato[/quote]

Great tests!
    Could you tell me more about Gianfranco Ferré's Original? Nice? Great? So-so?
    I see Silver Black's bottle is identical to Azzaro's original one. Beautiful Bottle indeed. The advertising said it has a metallic and fruity smell... Seems really nice! Any resemblance with the original Azzaro?
    Did you like Les niuts d'hadrien? what did you like the most? The top fresh cypress note? Or the powdery, refined and sweet dry down? Potent stuff on me!

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs

Great tests!
    Could you tell me more about Gianfranco Ferré's Original? Nice? Great? So-so?
    I see Silver Black's bottle is identical to Azzaro's original one. Beautiful Bottle indeed. The advertising said it has a metallic and fruity smell... Seems really nice! Any resemblance with the original Azzaro?
    Did you like Les niuts d'hadrien? what did you like the most? The top fresh cypress note? Or the powdery, refined and sweet dry down? Potent stuff on me!
    I'd give Gianfranco Ferre's Original a nice - it doesn't become as strong as you'd think from the opening. I'm a fan of his much stronger Pontaccio21 (which reminds me of a richer version of Aramis) and of the very strong GFF (probably the least masculine scent I have, but I still think is something really unique).

I don't have the original Azzaro, so can't really comment.

Well, it's either the Les Nuits or the Mandragore that's hanging around the back of my hand, but whichever it is, it sure has lasting power - reminds me of the deceptive lasting power in Goutal's Sables which hung around for well over 25 hours on the back of my hand.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Markymark
    Good insight, Renato. *I wonder if Silver Black is Azzaro's answer to the failed Onyx? Let us know more on this when you get a chance as I am a big fan of the Azzaro house, very dissapointed though with Onyx. *mm *
    Actually Onyx has been selling very well USA. I think finally that Azzaro/Clarins learned from Visit and focused directly at the market they wanted to gearing the scent towards. When in a department store the Onyx sprayers only focus offering samples toward the more mature men. Its really not a scent for the Chrome market.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus
    Actually Onyx has been selling very well USA. I think finally that Azzaro/Clarins learned from Visit and focused directly at the market they wanted to gearing the scent towards. When in a department store the Onyx sprayers only focus offering samples toward the more mature men. Its really not a scent for the Chrome market.
    That’s funny because I wear Chrome all the time now and I definitely liked Onyx, and plan on trying it again ASAP.

I recently get Azzaro Silver Black, and would like to know if is true that is the same ONYX??

Anyone compared the 2 fragrances...just to be sure?

One reviewer (see the BN directory) thought SB had an animalic quality that Onyx did not, claiming that the US has restrictions on certain ingredients that required a different formulation for Onyx, one that he felt was much less appealing. He did not specify exactly what he meant, so I couldn't really investigate it further. I got myself a sample of SB, liked it (unlike Visit, which I also bought a sample of), and then bought a 100 ml bottle. I like the caraway and its muskiness (I don't have many musky frags), and it's not all that animalic (to me, and I don't like animalic qualities). Interestingly, Luca Turin sees things the other way. He likes Onyx but not SB, though he doesn't compare the two directly. I sampled Onyx in a local store and couldn't tell the difference, but it was just one spray on my hand, and I was sampling so many that day that I don't put much stock in this assessment. SB is cheap on ebay now (if you are patient), as is Onyx.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulises Rodriguez View Post
    I recently get Azzaro Silver Black, and would like to know if is true that is the same ONYX??

Anyone compared the 2 fragrances...just to be sure?
    lol

Shouldn't you have asked this before you bought it?

I agre KMF, Should asked this beforeI bought it...But, always thought that Silver-Black and ONYX were 2 different fragrances, and had order first Silver-Black, to get the ONYX later...

I asked if anyone compared the 2 fragrances, because I had read somewhere that the 2 fragrances smells a little different...However after reading here that they are the same, and compare the component of each fragrance, I noted that it is true...So I decided not to place my order for ONYX.

Thanks for the info and for all your help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Interestingly, Luca Turin sees things the other way. He likes Onyx but not SB, though he doesn't compare the two directly. I sampled Onyx in a local store and couldn't tell the difference, but it was just one spray on my hand, and I was sampling so many that day that I don't put much stock in this assessment. SB is cheap on ebay now (if you are patient), as is Onyx.
    You spotted an error in Turin/Sanchez's The Guide. Onyx = Silver Black as Azzaro had to change the name for the American market as I believe there's another Silver Black out there. Turin does hit the nail on the head though in the Onyx review in that it's a reworked version of Azzaro PH but to lesser success. Still, a nice frag if you can pick it up cheap like I did at Marshalls or the Maxx.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    You spotted an error in Turin/Sanchez's The Guide. Onyx = Silver Black as Azzaro had to change the name for the American market as I believe there's another Silver Black out there. Turin does hit the nail on the head though in the Onyx review in that it's a reworked version of Azzaro PH but to lesser success. Still, a nice frag if you can pick it up cheap like I did at Marshalls or the Maxx.
    My Onxy gift set says:"Outside the US and Canada, Onyx is called Silver Black." Onyx is also made in France That doesn't mean it couldn'te be slightly differently formulated, a lot of products are tweaked for local markets. I should check it against SB some time.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Turin calls Azzaro PH an anistic lavender, and says it's historically important. I don't care about history when I make my fragrance purchases, and I don't like lavender, unless it's not pronounced. Anise is also something I can't take if it's too strong. SB/Onyx, on the other hand, is a musky and dry lime/caraway, and while it might not be "fragrance art," it's a great alternative for me, when I don't want something sweet or spicy. So while APH might be more "artistic" (though I don't think I'm able to understand that point now), I have a definite preference for the actual smell of SB.

Onyx is in healthy supply at my local Marshalls. 50ml, 100ml, and gift sets are all stocked and available under $25. For those of you in the US interested in Onyx I suggest a trip to either Marshalls or TJMaxx. They also had stock of Visit, Azzaro Pour Homme, Chrome, and all 3 Pures (Cedrat, Lavende, and Vetiver).

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Perhaps it's not an error, but a living proof of how important other factors are when judging a scent The bottle, the packaging, the name...

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Onyx is in healthy supply at my local Marshalls. 50ml, 100ml, and gift sets are all stocked and available under $25. For those of you in the US interested in Onyx I suggest a trip to either Marshalls or TJMaxx. They also had stock of Visit, Azzaro Pour Homme, Chrome, and all 3 Pures (Cedrat, Lavende, and Vetiver).
    Don't listen to people rubbishing Visit, Cedrat, Lavender, Vetiver and Chrome around here.

Unlike the delicate, fine, accordy scents much beloved by those people and The Guide, with the exception of Pour Homme and Cedrat, these scents are powerhouses - especially the Chrome and Vetiver. You could explain the meaning of the word sillage by just telling someone to walk near someone else wearing Chrome and Pure Vetiver and sniffing. If you want to be guaranteed of feeling fresh all during a hot summer's day, these two will do it.

Thanks for raising these potent scents in my potent scent thread.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 1st July 2008 at 10:20 AM.