Code of Conduct

Thread: ...

Default ...

Rive Gauche and Dior Homme are commonly discussed here lately. So these reviews by Luca Turin may be of interest to those who haven't seen them.

They can be seen at:

http://www.flexitral.com/research/Blogtextweb.pdf

This is the link to the entire blog that ran from June 2006 - Jan 2006. All kinds of amazing stuff here.

Turin's Rive Gauche review is on P.150, Dior Homme is on P. 131. There are many others as well. There are 548 pages of various enlightening subject matter.

Many people already know about this blog but this post concerns those who don't, or those who have forgotten about it, etc.

"You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

Default Re: Luca Turin Reviews: Rive Gauche, Dior Homme, e

Luca Turin's Perfume Guide from 1994 in the original French can also be downloaded from the same site:
    http://www.flexitral.com/research.html

For those of you who don't have a copy.

sante.

PS If you have the latest version of Adobe PDF Reader, you can use the Search function (the Binoculars Icon) to type in your favourite scent or House name and do a search through the whole of the document to find references to it.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

"You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

very cool !
    Thanks a lot for the links!

i love to read what he thinks about some stuff (i don't use it as a bible or anything like that but it's just entertaining to me)!.

The blog is fascinating in other areas besides fragrance. Turin is well-educated in many fields. The prolonged subject of natural perfumery was ridiculous. One person in particular didn't have since enough to let the subect die. She created a negative vibe that most likely caused Turin's cessation of the blog.

It was amazing while it lasted. Full of substance and certainly nothing else like it.
    - Michel Foucault

I read the first page, then had to go spray the scent he was so endeared by on my hand. It's okay, but I'm not sure why he likes it so much. This is the one scent I always preferred the underarm deodorant spray version, more than the EDT version. I'm talking Blue Stratos of course.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I read the first page, then had to go spray the scent he was so endeared by on my hand. It's okay, but I'm not sure why he likes it so much. This is the one scent I always preferred the underarm deodorant spray version, more than the EDT version. I'm talking Blue Stratos of course.
    Renato
    The praise for Blue Stratos seems more nostalgic than anything else.

I just enjoy reading his words. His frame of reference about many things is vast.
    - Michel Foucault

It's okay, but I'm not sure why he likes it so much.
    Yeah, I don't find much substance to his reviews.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

:'( *

You shouldn't read them if you don't get much out of them. I find them loaded with substance. One must learn to read between the lines. His words are typical of most geniuses. Not always easy to understand, nor are they meant to be. *
    - Michel Foucault

His words are typical of most geniuses.
    The guy is a hack.

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    His words are typical of most geniuses.
    The guy is a hack.
    Hack as in "old pro" certainly.

You don't seem to like him very much. I'm sorry. If I were there we could settle it more efficiently.

- Michel Foucault

You don't seem to like him very much.
    I don't hold his perfume reviews in high esteem, I find he has an amusing if overly florid way with words which while making his perfume reviews amusing to read also masks a lack of discernment. That doesn't though mean that I don't like him.

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    You don't seem to like him very much.
    I don't hold his perfume reviews in high esteem, I find he has an amusing if overly florid way with words which while making his perfume reviews amusing to read also masks a lack of discernment. That doesn't though mean that I don't like him.
    I feel that way about some of his reviews, but I think a lot of them in general. I certainly don't find him lacking discernment. Quite the opposite.

Well put though. We'll leave it at that. I will anyway.

- Michel Foucault