Code of Conduct

Default Your Favorite House

I apologize in advance if this subject has been covered already.

I know that tastes change; the things that I like now bear little resemblance to the things I liked a year or two ago. However, I feel like I can say that I have a favorite frag house, and it is YSL. Why?

YSL is like the archetypal foreign exchange student that we had in school. Sure, he came to school in blue windpants and henley shirts. Sure, his hygiene was... different than ours. Sure, you might see him running around the neighborhood pretending to sword-fight with a big stick and a cape.

But if you got to know him, you'd find out that he was a CASSANOVA on his home soil. A lady's man to beat all lady's men. Maybe he'd show you pictures of his girlfriends from back home, and you'd start to question your own ideas about fashion and etiquette. Maybe this exchange student opened your eyes to the ways of the greater portion of the world.

YSL is like that to me. Brash, inappropriate, sometimes unbathed, sometimes unexplainable, and always different. When I wear YSL frags, I feel so out of place here in Minnesota, where AdG and Happy reign supreme. I feel like they come from a different place, with different attitudes and where the ideal smells on a man are foreign to midwest noses. When I wear Rive Gauche, I feel like I ought to be in Italy or Greece. I can almost hear the bottle saying, "Hey ami, shouldn't you be looking for your bottle of Issey Miyake? Why don't you go buy a bottle of Voyage? Come back when you haven't shaved, 'monsieur clean.'"

There are frags from other houses that I like more than YSL stuff (or that I find more wearable or appopriate). No one ever says, "If I had a million dollars, I'd buy a case of M7!" But YSL is so provacative and unique that they are still my favorite house. Maybe somewhere down the road, I'll change my mind. There are so many things I haven't smelled yet. And I should add that my affection for YSL has nothing to do with their clothing line; I've seen it and it did nothing for me. This is all about the juice.

I hope that some of you have favorites of your own, and I'd like to hear about them.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Default Re: Your Favorite House

First, great thoughts on YSL! You've expressed my mental impressions of this house as well. They have some very unique, and of course, controversial scents. Yet I find them all "wearable." I'd say there's a good chance they are my favorite "designer" house.

As far as my favorite overall, that's a more difficult question to answer. Right now I'd have to say Serge Lutens. I am just amazed at the quality of nearly every scent I smell from this house. I am also amazed at the range this house has. I get a real chuckle every time I read someone write that Serge Lutens makes only thick, sweet orientals, or that all his scents "smell the same." When I read that, I know that they have only tried Chergui, Fumerie Turque, and Ambre Sultan, and then only once or twice.

All his frags seem to have unique character, great development on my skin, and superb longevity. They all bring to mind an image or a story: a place, a time, and characters. Cuir Mauresque is one of my favorite leathers, if not my favorite. Ambre Sultan is my favorite amber scent. Fumerie Turque is one of my favorite tobacco scents. Vetyver Oriental is the most unique vetiver scent I've run across, and my favorite. Miel de Bois is the most astoundingly unique honey frag I've encountered. Borneo 1834 is about the only chocolate scent I like. It's also one of the only strong patchouli scents that I like, or would consider wearing. Encens et Lavande reminds that this house can also do ethereal, streamlined scents. Chene takes me back to childhood, walking in the woods in spring and summer. You want something weird? How about Tuberose Criminelle. Masculine? How about Gris Clair. Extreme animalism? How about MKK. Florals? He's got those covered too. The range is unreal and the quality is always high.

For second favorite, I'd say Malle, maybe MPG, or Villoresi, or Montale...there are so many to mention. But, Serge Lutens hits the most right notes for me.

probably creed since I own the most from that house but also love YSL, Hermes, and CDG

L'Artisan is my favorite. Second place goes to SL.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Serge Lutens. *Most are unwearable for me ... but the majority of the line is just so unique and smell great.

Guerlain, Caron, Chanel, Dior, Yves Saint Laurent

.........Yves Saint Laurent

"You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

L'Artisan takes the number one spot with ease. There top two of all times Tea for Two and Mechant Loup in there. There are a whole group of amazing fragrances that I can't wait to get my hands on. I have two bottles but am doubling that soon. This is the most unique house that still incorporates impressive style and class into the mix. I'll always be a L'Artisan fan.

EnvYuS

deleted this
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Very complicated question. Some houses make one or two scents I like enormously, and the rest are so-so, but their greats are so great that I just love that house for the one or two that really wow me. So, having said that much, my faves, more or less in order:

Creed
    : lots of good ones, also many so-so;
    Guerlain
    : 2 or 3 greats, the rest so-so;
    Chanel
    : 1 eternal favorite (Antaeus), other good ones;
    Hermès
    : many are good ones, others OK;
    Serge Lutens
    : of the ones I have smelled, all are pretty amazing;
    Dior
    : some perennial favorites, but not all;
    Maître Parfumeur & Gantier
    ; some truly amazing, some merely good;
    L'Artisan Parfumeur
    : many beautiful scents, but weak on lasting power (except the Extrêmes);

and the latest rave,

Montale: all except the strong acquatic scents are really exotic and impressive, the Oud series especially so.

Miller Harris and Parfums d'Orsay can have honorable mentions.

Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

While there are other houses I respect more in the industry, Givenchy has personally been a favorite of mine...every one of its fragrances has been a homerun for me. Excellent.

Chanel and Guerlain

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

This is a very difficult question to answer, almost like those dealing with favourite foods, etc. I move from "house to house" every week, I think.

My favorite house right now is FREDERIC MALLE
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Lutens, CdG, YSL, Chanel.

Mine would be (judging by the number of scents per house in my wardrobe)
    Comme des Garçons
    Serge Lutens
    Annick Goutal, Etro and L'Artisan
    Caron and Guerlain
    Gobin Daudé
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

;DIf I called five ( to ten!) houses my favourite, then I would have said about everything about a whole wardrobe. My favorite must be GUERLAIN, I guess. This is the house I know best. That's where I have almost ten favourites from. (My holy grail is one from a small house, and there is not much else I would want from them).
    Most Lorenzo Villoresi scents I find quite exciting, Lutens next, and I do not even know that many. I know a lot of Creed's and it really does not matter that much which - I would only want to own one, never be without it - except the one in that pompous golden bottle!!!
    If it were not Guerlain, Yves Saint Laurent really could be my favorite French house. Their scents go very different directions! Rive Gauche for some of the dirtiness and all the elegance of Paris, Kourous for a fishermens harbour, white villages and the beautiful clear seas and air of Greece, and their passionate people. And then YSL has made so many other good scents, masculine anfd feminine, none I would dislike.

Great thread, with a wonderfully poetic start, thanks Greyhue!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

For designer house that would be YSL for me. It is the single house that I have almost all major releases. Then followed by Guerlain and Chanel.
    I've recently been exploring the niche houses and I would say Creed, Lutens and L'artisan, in order.

Lorenzo Villoresi

Piper Nigrum, Uomo, Yerbamate, Musk, Sandalo, Vetiver and Patchouli all being among my favourites. Great range from soft and beautiful to raw and earthy. MPG and Malle are tied for second place.

I have to admit I'm not yet familiar enough with SL to have a real opinion.

My designer house would be YSL as far as what I buy and wear. But I have a lot of respect for Guerlain and Chanel.

I haven't familiarized myself with many of the niches so far but my choice would be Comme des Garcons over L'Artisan. I have really been impressed by the couple of Annick Goutal scents I have tested.

Chanel and Yves Saint Laurent

For sure I've been enchanted by Les salons du palais royale and the magic of Lutens scents: sometimes they can be very "important" to wear, but they also make me feel unique. Another great house for sure is Frederic Malle, which is more on a modern side respect to lutens, but not less fascinating.
    Among the designer houses my favs are Chanel, Guerlain and YSL, three brands that made very inspired potions of charme, poetry, elegance that made unconventional sexyness dictating rules.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB

Very complicated question. Some houses make one or two scents I like enormously, and the rest are so-so, but their greats are so great that I just love that house for the one or two that really wow me. So, having said that much, my faves, more or less in order:
    I subscribe to this line of reasoning, hence I favour fragrances from Czech & Speake, Caron, Guerlain, Romeo Gigli, Crown Perfumery & Creed.
    Let your nose be your pilot

I have only been exposed to designer, but the answer is easily YSL out of all the designer houses. However, I still could't buy the Kouros!:-[ I guess my training is insufficient :

Caron, MPG, Guerlain.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Creed, Malle, MPG. Parfumerie Generale is a very good new house, From what I've sampled they are inovating but still wearable .

L'Artisan leaves me cold. L'Artisan are inovative, yet I still haven't found something that wows me or is wearable for me. I really don't wanna smell of flowered dough or a circus for that matter and their latest Ananas and Mandarine scents don't sound all that exciting either. Yet, I have to admit, I have high hopes for their new sent Fou d'Absinthe, which will be released.

from designer houses I like a lot,but YSL ,Chanel and Hermes are still on top.

Very easy question.... Yves Saint Laurent!

L'Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Aubrgene
    My favorite house right now is FREDERIC MALLE

How could i forget this house! I think FM is a very close third after SL.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Correction. I applied a post to this thread earlier.
    - Michel Foucault

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB

Creed
    : lots of good ones, also many so-so;
    Guerlain
    : 2 or 3 greats, the rest so-so;
    Chanel
    : 1 eternal favorite (Antaeus), other good ones;
    Hermès
    : many are good ones, others OK;
    Serge Lutens
    : of the ones I have smelled, all are pretty amazing;
    Dior
    : some perennial favorites, but not all;
    Maître Parfumeur & Gantier
    ; some truly amazing, some merely good;
    L'Artisan Parfumeur
    : many beautiful scents, but weak on lasting power (except the Extrêmes);

and the latest rave,

Montale: all except the strong acquatic scents are really exotic and impressive, the Oud series especially so.

Miller Harris and Parfums d'Orsay can have honorable mentions.

my mistake
    - Michel Foucault

Dior, Chanel, Guerlain, Hermès (in no order) are my top houses, the others come second...

Guerlain, Caron, L'Artisan, MPG, and Diptyque take top honors.

CdG, Alain Delon, Annick Goutal, Parfums de Nicolai, Creed, Hermes, Lorenzo Villoresi, Molinard come next.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.