Code of Conduct

Default borderline warm weather scents

I only have a few designated summer scents. I just don't like them much overall and don't buy many of them. But there are many in my wardrobe that are right on the line. I want some opinions on whether these are too heavy for summer (would you wear them?) or if i should just suck it up and buy something specifically for the season.

Bleecker Street: I LOVE this smell; it leaves a deceptively fresh impression, but it's very sharp and dense...if that's the right word. I haven't gotten the chance to wear it on a truly hot day yet, but I have a suspicion that it might be a bit much.

Visit: generally considered a winter scent, but it's very dry and doesn't get cloying on me. Should i go for it?

Pi Fraiche: this is marketed as a summer scent, but its so SWEET! Does sweet necessarily mean its a no-no for summer or are there other factors?

Geir: Another that i absolutely love, but it's quite sweet and seems a little sharp, especially in the middle notes. I don't use that much of it (maybe 2 sprays), but it still doesn't agree with me in hot weather, despite the many recommendations on the board.

The only two scents I have that I KNOW work in summer (80 plus degrees) are Ormonde Jayne's Isfarkand and Live Jazz...and soon I'll get my swap of Mugler Cologne I can't just switch between them all summer, but i don't want to committ fragrance crime by wearing things that should not be worn all summer. What do you think? Is it just my skin? Or is it nothing to worry about because i'm too picky and paranoid?

"It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Default Re: borderline warm weather scents

Visit gets really cloying on me. For that reason I never really liked it much. Personally, I wouldn't wear it in the summer. But since it doesn't get cloying for you, maybe you can pull it off.

I would add Voleur de Roses. I feel that rainy/cloudy day quality to it that makes it perfect for the crisp Spring days. They are cooler and full of sun showers. I am wearing it right now and it was alomst 80 out. I didn't feel comfortable. I felt the woody rose stems smells would work better in a cooler climate.

Out of the 4 you have chosen, I would say that Visit seems more of a wintery smell. Pepper is so dominant but not in a crisp way that would work it the warm weather scents. I think that Geir is prefect for spring/summer because it works in the hottest of hot conditions and in the not so hot summer days as well. I think it is great all around. Those other two I am not so farmilliar with...

EnvYuS

Why don't you wear your Bulgari Blv?

I will probably wear Visit this summer. I think that as long as you only wear 1 or 2 sprays it would smells fine. If you work in an air-conditioned office, summer should be a lot like winter. If you work outside, then the cedar should really complement the fresh air and sweat. I don't know. It's been so long since I've worked in a cubicle that I don't know what's appropriate.

Long story short, I would wear Visit in the summer, but sparingly.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

I agree with you about the Geir...it's quite versatile, but about an hour into wearing it, this sharp and bitter note developes on my skin and lasts for about 2 hours. :-? This only happens when it's above about 80 degrees. Maybe it's just my skin, but this tendency ruins for summer wearing...but otherwise I love it.

And allow me to hedge a little on the Visit: I see it as more of a summer night scent. I don't know why. It really isn't refreshing, i agree. But it just works on me for some reason.

I don't know. I guess it's just my skin. Everyone seems to think that Geir is THE summer fragrance, but i guess we can't ALL agree :-/

And about the Blv, I just don't like it all that much and it doesn't last long on me. I use it only very occasionally.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I wouldn't worry too much about not wearing specific scents during the summer, really, unless the frag is particularly potent. (M7 & Heritage come to mind for me.) If you are in doubt, spray less of it, or wear it lower on your body. The back of the knees is one of my favorite areas to spray.

There is only going to be so many citrus-type frags you can wear before you break (or that might just be me).
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte de K
    I wouldn't worry too much about not wearing specific scents during the summer, really, unless the frag is particularly potent. (M7 & Heritage come to mind for me.) If you are in doubt, spray less of it, or wear it lower on your body. The back of the knees is one of my favorite areas to spray.

There is only going to be so many citrus-type frags you can wear before you break (or that might just be me).
    I like this advice. You're obvioulsy functional person and you just caused me to have an epiphany: if I think the scent works, it works (within reason). I'm going to stop worrying about temperature and wear what I like. Bleecker Street here I come!!

I've worn Bleecker Street in 80 degree weather and it was great. I think you can pretty much wear any scent in any type of weather. It's just a matter of how you apply. Keep in mind that many Basenoters live in tropical regions of the world where the temperature always remains hot. I'm sure that doesn't stop them from wearing their favorite scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte de K
    ... If you are in doubt, spray less of it, or wear it lower on your body. The back of the knees is one of my favorite areas to spray.
    That's the smartest hint not directly related to a fragrance I have ever picked up in basenotes! It sounded so crazy when I first read it nearly 12 months ago that I tried it immediately. It really works well!

for summer frags: according to taste, sample (dry) Miracle homme or (sweeter) Eau de Rochas homme. They are near Live Jazz on my shelf. Spanish and Italian Colognes are mainly made for people living under the sun. I think it is easy to find your summer cologne among those.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

No guessing that I'm goin to say geir. Try spraying further away from skin

No guessing that I'm goin to say geir. Try spraying further away from skin

Many summer frags are nice, but too light, heavier stuff sometimes is simply unwearable on hot summer days, because it gets cloying.
    Many good suggestions above, I'd like to add some hardly mentioned fragrances that are long-lasting, distinctive and suitable for warmer days (they're not so easy to find in stores, but many online shops like Luckyscent or First In Fragrance carry them):

Histoires de Parfums: 1828 - starts with mint and eucalyptus followed by woody, dry basenotes. This is a great summer scent because it remains 'green' all the time and doesn't get cloyingly sweet.

Le Prince Jardinier Labyrinthe Libertin - basil, mint, green leaves, followed by woods and spices. Absolutely dry, no sweetness at all. No big sillage, but stays on your skin quite long. *Like a walk through a forest during a summer evening.

Acqua di Parma Foglie di Basilico - a blend of basil and green leaves. Cool and refreshing and very different from all the aquatic Cool Water-like fragrances out there. Unfortunately discontinued, but it's not too hard to find it on e-Bay and its price is reasonable. Long lasting, especially if combined with the matching body lotion.

Diptyque Virgilio - similar to Foglie di Basilico, but stronger and very herbal with subtle hints of cinnamon. Ultra-green, very refreshing.

Creed Cypres Musc - an outstanding Creed fragrance. Very classy, woody-green. Starts with green notes and has a nice, musky-clean drydown. Lasts very long on my skin. People here love it or hate it - so try before you purchase (of course you should do this with every scent)

D'Orsay Arome 3 - in the beginning a twin of Creed Cypres Musc, but in the drydown it doesn't have strong woody accords, it's a bit greener.

Creative Universe Mare - an aquatic scent, but not sweet at all (mineralic notes, even a bit salty) and long-lasting.

Il Profumo Cafe Vert - ultra-cool with notes of green coffee beans. You can detect coffee, but not sweet and syrupy as usual; very good longevity.

Acqua di Biella Baraja - smells like fresh laundry. Very refreshing, no big sillage, but good longevity.

Cheers
    Gerald

I think Visit works okay in Summer, especially with a light, misty type of application. I find that this kind of application deemphasizes the pepper and brings out the musk in the base a little more. To my nose, a light applications of Visit makes it more similar to Gucci Rush, which I often wear instead of Visit in warm weather.

Then again, on occasion, I will wear anything in Summer. Of the ones in your wardrobe, I have Visit, Magnetism and M7 and have worn them all in hot weather. Sometimes I regret it, especially since I am a pathological oversprayer, but often even my heavier scents work fine.

Some fragrances that are not generically "fresh", but stand up well in heat (to my nose) are Guerlain Vetiver, Bulgari PH/PH Extreme, YSL Rive Gauche, the aforementioned Gucci Rush, Burberry Brit and Touch, Chanel Antaeus, Dior Fahrenheit, and my most recent discovery Oscar for Men.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

you should also try Ormonde Jayne OSMANTHUS - in the Parfum Absolute! It works in 100° (i tried it!)
    and you end up making people around you think that there must be some heavenly flowering tree nearby!
    I don't know how they do it! Sampaquita is also good for those hot spring days that tease you into thinking
    summer has arrived - and the next day it's hailstones. Sampaquita is also sublime in those long summer nights
    on grass lawns