Code of Conduct

Default tried the NEW V Valentino for men

I was in NYC yesterday and was fortunate to be able to sample the male follow up to V for women.
    Its exclusive to Lord & Taylor. The bottle looks just like the women's but is trimed in mat black and the glass is dark smoke black also.

The scent is very woody incense amber sweet and lingering good sillage to boot too.

Default Re: tried the NEW V Valentino for men

Sounds like a must-try... as soon as this comes to my area, I'll be sure to give it a sniff.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Here is the ad from moodiereport.com

Sounds great! I have to try this one!

It's now available at Bloomingdales:

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalo...ategoryID=1504

Sephora appears to be prepared to get it.... V pour homme is listed on their website but upon trying to purchase it, it says that no products are available from this range at this time. So either they are just very hopeful or V pour homme will be much easier for all the rest of us to try in the near future.

Does anybody know the notes in this one?

Quote Originally Posted by yepyep
    Does anybody know the notes in this one?
    From Sephora website:

Notes:
    Bergamot, Mandarin, Basil, Pink Peppercorn, Transparent Floral, Jasmine, Mace, Cumin, Ambrette Seed, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Dry Amber, Musk.

Thanks! It sounds pretty good.

I have high hopes for this one.

Very Valentino was a stinker, to me, and Vendetta, while nice enough, didn't last and had zero projection. I'm hoping the 3rd try's the winner.

Surprising this house has released only 3 masculine fragrances in its long history.

Tried Valentino V today at Bloomingdales. It's a woody-spicy composition with semisweet undertones. There's some similarity to Allure PH IMO but it's still quite different.
    BTW it's also available at Nordstrom. I also tried Dunhill Pure one more time and I think it may be a purchase. It smells a bit like Dunhill ( 2003) with some added citrus/watermelon notes.

I retested V and to me it smells very much like Baldessarini ...to think about both are products of P&G Prestige Fragrances :-?

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus
    I retested V and to me it smells very much like Baldessarini ...to think about both are products of P&G Prestige Fragrances :-?
    When I first smelled it I thought about Baldessarini as well but when I compared them side by side they didn't have much in common. But you are right, there's is some typical P&G note in Valentino. Still not bad.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I saw this at Neiman-Marcus in San Francisco day before yesterday, but didn't realize it was new. (I don't know much about any Valentino scents.) I sprayed a little on my wrist, but by that time I had tried a few things, so I didn't get a clear impression. It was overall pleasant; however, I didn't get much projection--but then, other things I had tested were pretty loud on my skin.

I felt it had some promise, but I was pretty absorbed in the other things I had tried, so didn't give it much further thought. Now, though, I feel I ought to go back and give it a second chance all by itself. Will try to do that tomorrow!

Thanks for the posts, guys. Much food for thought. (And credit card fodder, as usual!)
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Just talked to an SA at Neiman's in SF by phone. He couldn't tell me what the exact notes were, but said V Valentino for Men is very similar to Very Valentino, but minus the tobacco note. He called it "light, fresh, not citrusy" but said it has some citrus notes in it.

Will check further in person tomorrow. Hope this much helps for now. It doesn't help me much, since though I've smelled the new one (see my earlier post in this thread), I've never smelled Very Valentino to compare it to...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Well, I went back to Neiman's today and this time, I gave V Valentino for Men a good try.
    It smelled very nice on paper, but on my skin, at first it smelled like nothing but burnt sugar. I decided to wait for the drydown, and soon it blossomed into a warm, moderately complex fragrance. I would say it's a woody-ambery scent.

I couldn't get a breakdown of the notes, and I can't find anything through a Google search. What I smell (and this is very subjective; I'm no expert at this!):

Citrus (bergamot?); white flowers (neroli?, jasmine sambac?); amber (tonka?, ambrette?, vanilla?); musk?, dry wood (Atlas cedar?).

In general, I would characterize this EdT as warm, masculine, and elegant. I would also say it is reminiscent of Boucheron Trouble, but less floral, and slightly smokier. It is definitely a masculine scent, whereas Trouble is more of a shared or feminine fragrance.

It migrates from a fairly lush opening to a starker, woodier drydown. The projection is good at first, and weakens slightly as it wears on. There is a slight sweetness to it throughout.

Oh, and I ended up buying it. I think it will be a nice evening or fall/winter scent. I could see wearing this with black tie.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Radames65

I like it, but it definitely reminds me of Del mar.

I was disappointed. It seemed bland and uninspired, and too similar to a lot of other stuff out there. Anise/licorice/sambuka seems to be the big trend right now, alas, this one didn't do anything different with the notes.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Just got back from Nordstrom where the saleswoman couldn't stop swooning over it. I tried it and thought it bounced a bit from anise to cotton candy (burnt sugar was close) to a bit of dusty wood. As I walked around it was really moving through its notes. It was tough to get a solid read on. I'd say it's worth a second sniff.

Am sampling this today for the first time.
    I think the burnt sugar qualities play off the musk base nicely. Will have to see how this one wears throughout the day.
    Similiar (as others have mentioned) to Arpége PH and Escada Magnetism PH. Theres also a peppering of Guerlain's Insolence for Women here. An interesting scent... but is it purchase-worthy?

it smells like cotton candy on me

I think this is very much like Body Kouros. A bit sweeter/vanillier and less tart, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja View Post
    I think this is very much like Body Kouros. A bit sweeter/vanillier and less tart, maybe.
    exactly...sweet, cotton cady like frag

AT LAST Ive managed to work out the scent this fragrance reminds me of!
    Ive been wearing a sample for a few days and all the while have been trying to make the olfactory connection between this and something Ive smelled. And then it hit me!

This is a VERY CLOSE cousin to La Prairie's "Silver Rain"!

I am enjoying this scent more and more! Well, with the wife's ban on more frag purchases til new year, I may just have to order a bottle of this in january!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 6th November 2007 at 06:21 AM.