Code of Conduct

Default Grown Up/Classy Suggestions

Hey guys - been a while for me, but I was looking for some advice (my girlfriend is a great source of it, but I get the feeling she just compliments anything I sample)
    -So I feel like I've got some nice scents, but I feel like they're mostly sweet or light, well, not all of them, but I'm looking for something a little more mature, ok - poor choice of words - I'm looking for something classy, a little darker, but still suggestive and (positive) attention-getting - a sweet note certainly isn't bad here, just classy is key (and "mysterious" would be great too)

the ones I've sampled and am considering are:

MPG - Santal Noble
    MPG - Ambre Precioux (like this a lot, gets very "creamy&quot
    PdN - New York (also a big fan of the spices in this one)
    Agatha Brown - Conquest
    Costume National - Scent Intense
    -just ordered a Tea for Two sample

-I also have a bunch of samples I originally thought were too "grown up", but haven't re-visited yet, thought I'm sure I will, so anything you can think of that's not on my list please suggest.

for comparison, here's what I own now (don't yet have my wardrobe up and running):

Pal Zileri
    John Varvatos
    Victoria's Secret Very Sexy
    Burberry Brit
    Creed - GIT
    Pi
    Escada Magnetism (too warm for this now)
    CSP Vanille Pineapple
    Agatha Brown - Imperial Jade (big big fan, girlfriend loves this)
    Herrera for Men

-Sorry this is so long, folks, but if you could give any input please do (thought I'm sure it's gonna come down to what I like the most at the time I choose to buy something)

thanks again,
    Ian

Default Re: Grown Up/Classy Suggestions

"something classy, a little darker, but still suggestive and (positive) attention-getting - a sweet note certainly isn't bad here, just classy is key (and "mysterious" would be great too)"

M7 sprang to mind. It is not appropriate for summer use, IMO (through painful experience).

Welcome to Basenotes, IMCS!

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Let me be the first so suggest you take a sniff at Czech & Speak No.88 (got a big beautiful decant of it today in the mail from dr.creed, no need to save that small sample I have anymore!). I also suggest Lorenzo Villoresi Musk.

You have some GREAT ones listed (Conquest!) and I'm certainly not worried about you not finding that scent regarding the ones you are familiar with so far. Welcome to Bastenotes as well.

Well I was going to instinctively point you towards the "just starting out" forum, but after reading your thread and seeing your drobe I think you will be fine here. I agree that girls can be misleading. It's great when they like stuff but it's better for you to love stuff. There are lots of good classy scents out there. An obvious goodie is Creed's Bois du Portugal. Tea for Two which is headed your way is pretty classy imo, and really nice. PdN New York is a scent that I consider to be one of the classiest informal scents you can wear. It's lightness makes it perfect for school or work or whatever daytime thing you may do with other people, but it smells really classy and grownup so that's a good choice which you've already noted. Gucci Envy is a cool scent because depending on the setting it can be quite classy but can also become a bit dirty and sexy. Highly recommended and is cheap if you buy it online. Another nice one which I'm wearing a sample of right now is Guerlain's L'Instant. I don't know if you've smelled any Malles, but it has a sort of airy quality like some of those have and it's sweet in a good way (never cloying). Ok that's enough for now seems like you're on the right track though as you have a decent drobe and have ordered some nice samples. Keep doing that and I'm sure you'll be able to find a scent of this type that suits you.

I'll just keep this short:

Rive Guache and Dior Homme

Caron 3rd Man!!

Second your Agatha Brown's.

Second Rive Gauche!!!

And, Givenchy Gentlemen, Havana, and Le Dandy come to mind!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi
    I'll just keep this short:

Ah, my favorites!

Santos Concentree

Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver

Eau des Iles

L'Anarchiste

Madini Ambre

Roxoff

Blog Entries

uhmmmm... I'm cringing saying this, but what about my Monk? That's what it was designed for. "Grown-up and a little darker"

Mike Storer, perfumer in L.A.
    www.storeraromatics.com
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com

IMO it would be hard to beat those MPG fragrances at the top of your list. I love them both. You might also check out Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens.

M7 or Bulgari Black. Both have a little sweetness and are quite dark too.

Baldessarini
    Drakkar Noir
    Korous

Parfums de Rosine, 'Rose d'Homme' is deep, mysterious, and just sexy enough to create that special aura. Good stuff.

Creed BdP
    Envy
    Geir

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IMCS
    Hey guys - been a while for me, but I was looking for some advice (my girlfriend is a great source of it, but I get the feeling she just compliments anything I sample)
    -So I feel like I've got some nice scents, but I feel like they're mostly sweet or light, well, not all of them, but I'm looking for something a little more mature, ok - poor choice of words - I'm looking for something classy, a little darker, but still suggestive and (positive) attention-getting - a sweet note certainly isn't bad here, just classy is key (and "mysterious" would be great too)

the ones I've sampled and am considering are:

MPG - Santal Noble
    MPG - Ambre Precioux (like this a lot, gets very "creamy&quot
    PdN - New York (also a big fan of the spices in this one)
    Agatha Brown - Conquest
    Costume National - Scent Intense
    -just ordered a Tea for Two sample

-I also have a bunch of samples I originally thought were too "grown up", but haven't re-visited yet, thought I'm sure I will, so anything you can think of that's not on my list please suggest.

for comparison, here's what I own now (don't yet have my wardrobe up and running):

Pal Zileri
    John Varvatos
    Victoria's Secret Very Sexy
    Burberry Brit
    Creed - GIT
    Pi
    Escada Magnetism (too warm for this now)
    CSP Vanille Pineapple
    Agatha Brown - Imperial Jade (big big fan, girlfriend loves this)
    Herrera for Men

-Sorry this is so long, folks, but if you could give any input please do (thought I'm sure it's gonna come down to what I like the most at the time I choose to buy something)

thanks again,
    Ian
    Of the ones you list:

The two MPG's are definitely good, solid masculine scents, the first maybe a little more than the second. MPG also has Eau des Îles, a sort of dry, smoky woods scent, and Parfum d'Habit, kind of chypre with hints of leather, a definite dress-up scent.

Pal Zileri is a nice kind of understated green scent. I like it a lot.

Creed GIT is nice, but other Creeds are more grown-up-smelling to me: Néroli Sauvage, Baie de Genièvre, Acier Aluminium, Bois du Portugal come to mind in this way.

I like Herrera for Men for warm weather. It's pleasant and straightforward.

Some you don't mention:

Miller Harris makes two worth mentioning: Feuiles de Tabac, a tobacco leaf scent that's very mild on tobacco, nice and spicy-creamy, and generally grown-up smelling; and Terre de Bois, a woody, slightly earthy concoction that's very sexy and slightly sweet.

Parfums d'Orsay makes a nice dry woody scent called Le Nomade, reminds me of desert winds. They also make a classic, Le Dandy, based on a 19th-century protoype with cognac and tobacco and slightly floral old-time barbershop-type notes, but very suave, smooth and sophisticated.

Houbigant makes one called Duc de Vervins, very "boardroom," as is Lalique Pour Homme ("the Lion&quot. Both are very suave, elegant daytime scents, though they could be for evening too.

Last of all, Gucci Envy (woody-incensy), Gucci pour Homme (strong black pepper notes here), and Nobile (beautiful, mellow green notes; now kind of hard-to-find) are great mature scents.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I saw Escada Magnetism in your list and this brought to mind my experience with it. I personally wouldn't consider it a classy or matured scent, because the grape syrup note in it and the overall impression smells like a teenage cologne to me. But that said, the vice president guy in the MNC I work wears it like his everyday scent. So I don't know, is it some cult scent in the circles of mature, classy people?

Masculine fragrances I regard as classy and grown-up are :

MPG's Iris Bleu Gris
    Serge Lutens' Encens & Lavande
    Ralph Lauren's Purple Label

I find them great, as they are pretty "classic" and easy to wear, while all having a mature and independent personality... Very nice !

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    [quote author=nsamadi link=1147386454/0#4 date=1147387965]I'll just keep this short:

Ah, my favorites![/quote]

How funny, I just got these two in the mail today, and they are both extremely fine scents!

Welcome aboard, I see you're off to a good start, I have a few suggestions that you might warm up to:

Blenheim Bouqet - Penhaligon's or if you can find it Town & Country by Crown Perfumery, they are both very similar with a prominent pine accord.

Van Cleef Arpels pour Homme
    Tabarome Millesime or the orginal - Creed
    Boucheron Pour Homme
    Heritage & Habit Rouge - Guerlain

Czech & Speake No.88
    Eucris by Geo F Trumper
    Caron Pour Homme

Good luck in your pursuit...
    Let your nose be your pilot

I'm adding a couple more fragrances :

En Sens de Bois, Miller Harris (magnificent incense, yet very discreet and understated... beautiful ! the epitomy of a "mature" choice)

Eau de Campagne, Sisley (I just added it to the summer fragrances topic, but reckon it equally matches this one, as a remarkable classic)

Rive Gauche.

Id like to be the third to recommedn c&s 88.

Blog Entries

I'll second the Bulgari Black.. very classy. I love it for dressed up.
    www.michaelstorer.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mugler
    I saw Escada Magnetism in your list and this brought to mind my experience with it. I personally wouldn't consider it a classy or matured scent, because the grape syrup note in it and the overall impression smells like a teenage cologne to me. But that said, the vice president guy in the MNC I work wears it like his everyday scent. * So I don't know, is it some cult scent in the circles of mature, classy people?
    LOL... anything with a grape-syrupy note IMHO is just not classy, poor taste perhaps? (methyl anthranilate, btw.)
    www.michaelstorer.com

Dior Homme, simply because it is classy, formal yet modern

Welcome first of all
    if you are new to these boards. Please bear in mind not to start another fragrance and age related discussion as these seem to be neverending. Who cares really, what age you are if you are able to pull off a certain fragrance and know how to wear it, even CSP pineapple *per se he he

Ormonde Jayne Man is very classy, dark, mysterious, like an enveloping "aura" scent. Their Isfarkand strikes me as also dark and mysterious, but less so than Man.

Parfum d'Empire Eau de Gloire is also a "grown up" scent IMO - leather, tobacco, and sour notes like citrus, and I think maybe geranium (there's something kind of "funky" in there). The funky stuff makes it a little mysterious to my nose.

Malle's Noir Epices comes to mind as both mature and dark/mysterious.

I would also point you to Montale: Greyland, Black Aoud, and Oud Cuir d'Arabie come to mind as dark and mysterious.

Lutens Fumerie Turque is another good option - rich, dark, exotic. I second Encens et Lavande as mysterious, in an ethereal / mystical sense.

MPG Ambre Precieux, Santal Noble, and Soir d'Orient are all dark, exotic (especially Soir d'Orient).

Divine L'Homme Sage is dark, but in a pensive, thought-provoking way. Not really dark-mysterious, but kind of reserved or removed, a lost-in-thought mysteriousness.

I'll second or third Villoresi's Musk as well.

I also think Creed's Acier Aluminium has a mysterious quality about it (though not dark). It's also classy, with just a touch of sweetness when it dries down.

I would suggest you also try Must de Cartier pour homme

I forgot to add Santos by Cartier & Caswell Massey's Greenbriar. It doesn't get any grown up than these...
    Let your nose be your pilot

Overcome By Fumes

You've already found 3 great ones: both MPG's you suggest and New York are all winners.