Code of Conduct

Default The scents that are so good that you save them...

Which of the scents that you own are so good, that you don't really want to use them often? Instead, you save them and think about rationing every drop?

For me, I'm really stingy with my Lutens scents...those and the scents that I have either very little of, or that are discontinued and I know are impossible to find.

Is it related to price? Personal taste? Availability? Why do we ration some of our scents and not others?

Help me solve this puzzle! Tell me what you think and which scents are so good that you save them!

marlen

Default Re: The scents that are so good that you save them

I must save Yohji because it is discontinued and I can't bear the thought of being without it. :'(
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I used to save scents, but I gave that up. With 30+ bottles, nothing is worth conserving to me. I wear whatever, whenever.

I used to conserve Creed GIT. It's the only scent I have consistently ran out of.
    I have about 1.5 OZ of GIT left between 2 partial bottles.

The only current one I have that MAY warrant that is Bond Hamptons.

my brand new dk fuel has yet to be sprayed. I'm waiting until my 1000th post (probably like 2pm today lol)

I would say my Tea for Two. I know that I have no discontinued scents but this one is expensive and I got 1/3 of a 1.7oz in a deal. I loved it and decided that I would not wear it because I have so little. I'd have to save those 17 mls for the rest of my life... I got over it and bought a big bottle... ;D

EnvYuS

My little 5ml sampler of Musc Ravageur...

My Creeds, the cost is too much, everything else can get for cheaper.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

My favorite fragrance in my collection Is Bois Du Portugal and it is the one I use the least, usually saving it for holidays & special occasions. *I know I could easily replace it, as it is readily available, but it is so special to me that I dont want to run the risk of ever becoming bored with it. *So, for now, I treat it as if it is my Holy Grail of scents. *YOu know what they say..."Familiarity breeds contempt." *I don't ever want that fate to befall upon my relationship with BDP. *I am excited that this Sunday is Mothers Day and that my beloved BDP & I will once again be reunited. *To me, its fun to anticipate the use of a special fragrance in this way.

Another fragrance that I use most sparingly is Davidoffs Relax. *I absolutely love the smoky marshmallow sweetness of this one. *It is unlike any other I have ever smelled. *Sadly, it is discontinued(at least in the states) which is absurd because I find it to be the finest fragrance ever produced by Davidoff. *I managed to find a bottle of it a couple of months ago which has yet to be used(i'm saving it for the cooler weather.) I also have several mini bottles of Relax. *Sometimes after a particularly stressful day I will dab a little on my wrists just before heading off to bed and I am carried off to dreamland on a soothing marshmallow cloud. *This one is very special to me, indeed.

GraySwan

LV Musk. The tought that some day I'd find it boring or plain is just too much to take, so I save it for special occasions. Although I'm student and thus not that rich, it's not about the actual cost of the fragrance.

Well, I'm relieved to read all these posts... I thought I was going crazy!!
    I have this problem: the more I love the scent the more I want to smell but the more I want to save it!!
    "Paradoxal", isn't it?

In my case, It's totally related to the pleasure provided by the fragrance, the amount of juice I got and of course, the price I paid for it!

A sample of Must de cartier pour homme

Yosh.

My sample of D&G By Man

I save the ones that are discontinued and hard to find. Balenciaga PH is a good example. I guess the next type would be the expensive ones. For example, I am about to buy a bottle of Cuir Mauresque, and that I will use lightly. I'd have to say I also try not to wear out a fragrance, meaning that I don't want to get bored or tired with the ones I like, so I try not to use them too much.

Kyoto by CdG. Why? Because it is relatively hard to get. But, I am tempted to just use the rest of it and go buy another bottle from Luckyscent. After all, my desire to not use it is somewhat ridiculous its not unbelievably expensive and it is readily available from Luckyscent. HMMM I think Im going to go order it now. thanks Marlen.

-Justin

I just use them up while I'm still alive. Saving them breeds anxiety. I could see saving ones that are impossible to replace, although I haven't done that. I just spray out that last bit and say adios..... [smiley=beer.gif]
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

My last bits of Santos de Cartier Concentree (original formulation) I only realized last year that they had reformulated. I've already had that bottle for about 10 yrs. I have the new formulation, and use that to keep me from using up the last bits of the good stuff. I'll probably come up with an occasion where I would use it, but right now I can't think of one.

Romeo Gigli's Sud Est
    Let your nose be your pilot

Cerruti pour homme and fair play. Both are , especially fair play, impossible to find here in England. There are minis and 50mls of pour homme on e-bay, now and again. As with all hard-to-finds, french and german e-bay is a good place to start.

DK Fuel

I have an 1881 mini which I almost never use (really nice!). I have the 1881 summer fragrance, but the difference is night and day, the latter is too fresh, and I keep using it. The first however, I've saved. I am also saving Xeryus, for very special occasions, since I love that fragrance very much.

Yes, expensive(Lutens) and rare(Havana).

I have a small decant of Biche dans l'Absinthe that I'm loathe to use up. Really a miraculous scent that is unlike anything. Is this even available anymore? I know retail price was ridiculous.

I'm use my exlusive Lutens decants pretty sparingly - Encens et Lavande, Fumerie Turque, Borneo.

And I'm judicious with the DK Feul.

At the risk of being cliche, I'd have to say DK Fuel and Hombre de Flores Polianthes Tuberosa by Fresh. I only have small decants of both and use them very very rarely.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

I'm too conservative with the rare stuff. I'm thinking Patou Pour Homme first and foremost.

Curve....

Ha! Kidding... I'd have to say Red for Men. I'm not in love with it, but it's still rare...

I didn't buy them to save them... But if I run low or have a decant or sample I really love, but can't afford a full bottle at the time, I savour every drop (which right now means daim blond, chergui, vétiver extraordinaire, cuiron)!

With around 80 bottles and a mutable personality, that's not really an issue for me. I have enough scent to last a lifetime and I almost always wear something different everyday. Even things that turn into a seasonal favorite are rarely worn more than once ever week and a half or so.

Two scents by Mazzolari: 'Mazzolari' and 'Patchouly' - they hold great sentimental value, as well as being good fragrances. Also, I really like Rose Poivree by The Different Company, but if I'm one drop over the line with it, I smell like a civet cat in a giant rose garden!

Patou Pour Homme
    and Patou Pour Homme Prive.

I ration both because they are wonderful and cost me way too much. Still, they make me so happy when I do bring them out to breathe.

I remember last summer there were quite a few fires in our neighborhood and my wife and I and some friends were discussing what we would try to save in the event of a fire. I couldn't quite bring myself to mention Patou out loud, but I sure did think it. Ha.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I hoard Acqua di Parma's Profumo, because there just aren't that many occasions when I can wear it; it's really just for special evenings out.

I'm very careful with Clive Christian's 1872 and X. In these cases, it's mostly because they're expensive. (Not that the Profumo was cheap!) Clive Christian tends to get saved for holiday dinners at the in-laws'.

My Amouage collection is a little freer in use, but still not for routine use. I think I probably wear Silver Cologne more than Gold or Dia, though Dia is very nice for an out-of-the-ordinary daytime excursion.

I have a new Montale oud, the Black Aoud, which is pretty rich and oriental-woody. I don't think I'll be wearing that one too much either; it's probably going to be mostly for special evenings. The non-oud Montales, though, are nice and easy-going enough for pretty routine wear.

Oh, and Chanel Antaeus and Hermès Bel Ami are special enough not to use too often as well.

The rest are fair game any day, depending on the weather, my moods, and the occasions.

Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

its l'eau par kenzo that i cherish the most. my 3.4ml bottle has like 1/10 of the bottle full but im never going to use it lol ;D :-/

very odd...for some strange reason 98% of my wardrobe was purchased since joining basenotes....hmmmm...hehe...so all are new to me within the past few months...all are cherished and i'm still getting used to all of them...none are in danger of running out at the moment so i've been cavalier in my use of them...i guess when 1 or 2 begin to dwindle it will be a concern....

Just a few:

MPG Soir d'Orient: I actually don't really like this one, but its the most I've ever spent on a scent. Costing me $7.50 US a ml, so I go easy with this one.

Caron Tabac Blond: The pure parfum version. Excellent stuff that should be only worn on the best of times.

My samples of Versus, Unleaded and Musc Ravager Oil.

Havana Reserva - Discontinued
    Patou pour Homme Privé - Discontinued
    Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens - Hard to get here
    Chergui - Hard to get here
    Cuir Mauresque - hard to get here

These I just never want to grow tired of because they are my favorites so I mostly wear them for special occasions:
    Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier
    Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens
    Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan
    Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier
    I'm planning to add Black Oud by Montale to this list.

BTW marlen, excellent thread!

Having OCPD tendencies (see Wikipedia link below) I am inclined to conserve and save everything, scents included. However, lately I have been learning through experience this tendency is often counterproductive.

Consumable goods, and even durable goods eventually, are subject to deterioration and general decline in value. Therefore, all else being equal, it maximizes utility to get as much productive use or benefit from things as early as possible. The foods (especially greens) that continually spoil in my refrigerator are a constant reminder. I recently found some old chewing gum I had been stingily conserving, only to find now it is rather unappealing. Most of the computer equipment I've been hauling from one apartment to the next is obsolete by any reasonable standards (though apparently not by my standards).

Fragrances will keep for years under good conditions, but theoretically are always decaying and diffusing at some rate however slowly. The calculus changes with discontinued ones, but in general I think the wise fragrance lover will pre-empt the forces of entropy by indulging in cherished scents.

Pardon the digression; more than anything else this is a big lesson I'm trying to teach myself. Carpe diem!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessi...ality_disorder
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

I use to hord everything but now, I lavish myself to my satisfaction. One needs to have a carefree spirit when it comes to fragrances because adorning one's self with scent can easily set the tone for the rest of the day so spray waht it takes to put you in that magical place!

Why So Serious?

Definitely DK Fuel for me, once this stuff is gone then it's gone for good, everytime i'm about to pull the trigger something stops me. I'd bet when i'm 80 and telling my grandkids stories i'm gonna bust out my alien-looking bottle to amuse them, the juice would be over a hundred years old.

I'm also saving my last drops of Chergui since this has gone back to its old crib, and since i dont have any friends in Paris i dont see how i'm ever gonna get my hands on this puppy ever again. So hopefully, my last drops can last me a lifetime.

:-[
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

For me it would be Trussardi Uomo. It's rare these days and hard to find a site that has it on stock.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

DK Fuel: for obvious reasons
    Bond No 9 Bleecker Street: it's so damn expensive
    Havana: rare and expensive
    L'artisan Bois Farine: because it's too special to wear every day
    SL Chergui: rare and expensive

Man, life's too short to be timid with my colognes.
    Three of my rare gems are Nicole Miller, Davidoff's Relax, and Egoiste Cologne Concentree. I spray liberally whenever i use 'em. To heck with it!

KO
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    Well, I'm relieved to read all these posts... I thought I was going crazy!!
    I have this problem: the more I love the scent the more I want to smell but the more I want to save it!!
    "Paradoxal", isn't it?

In my case, It's totally related to the pleasure provided by the fragrance, the amount of juice I got and of course, the price I paid for it!

EXACTLY: - my holy grail !

Further reasons are:

- historic Gems, like old Lanvin Gentleman
    - future unavailability of something dear to me, like Cuiron
    - something good, almost used up, but now not so close to my heart
    that I would buy it again, like Old Spice

'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I definitely ration scents that I like the most - so I can savour them better, or which are rare or expensive to come by - so they'll last longer.

An example of the former would be D&G By Man, which is my favourite. Not particularly rare or expensive but I wouldn't want it to become mundane.

For the latter, I'd include LV Piper Nigrum, Havana and Havana Reserva, Egoiste (until I get another bottle at least), Jaipur Fresh (or whatever it's called) Bois du Portugal, Acier Aluminium, Baie de Genievre and Heritage EDP. Some of these I've owned for a while and not even tried!

Mat;Chocolat!

Available only from one source so it's not discounted. Small bottle/large price.

Don't try it. You won't like it .

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I use them and I don't save them. It doesn't matter, if they are discontinued, expensive etc. They are for me and, when I want to wear some frag, I don't ask myself if I have to save it for the future. Plus, I decided to not keep frags for years and years. Unfortunately, some frags, even sprays, are no more the same after keeping them for years even in a dark room. I have few frags (sprays) which smell different from fresh testers in shops, after keeping them at my home for ca. 6 years. It's not necessary to talk about what happens with splashes. Russians use just one verb for that: vidixat'sia (inf). You could translate it in a certain context something like "perfume has lost fragrance/smell". On the bottom of my newest Joop!: 30 M (to use within 30 months) and it says something too.

Of course, I miss some frags. Propably, if I had the possibility to get Balafre, Lanvin and Drakkar (the first ones), I would keep them in my fridge. Because of my memories :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW
    I used to save scents, but

The only current one I have that MAY warrant that is Bond Hamptons.
    Ditto on the Hamptons. I also find myself conserving my 2.5 ounce bottle of Creed 1948 Vetiver...

I used to be this way with Egoiste but since i got a bunch (causing chanle's income to soar this semester ) i spray it freely now!

I've been saving the last of my three 10 ml refill sprays of Malle's Bigarade Concentrée; I love it so that I can't bear the idea of running out. I'm down to my last spritz, I think...

Years ago, I purchased a nice fat bottle of L'Artisan's L'eau du Caporal and to say I used it sparingly is a huge understatement. Shameful. Practically impossible to locate, but it shan't last for an eternity, so the reluctance is no more and I spray with wreckless abandon. Can't take em' with you............

Gantier's Centaure has similar characteristics , so all hope is not lost I suppose..........

Had the same hang up with Patou PH...........no more......

Quote Originally Posted by d4
    Having OCPD tendencies (see Wikipedia link below) I am inclined to conserve and save everything, scents included. However, lately I have been learning through experience this tendency is often counterproductive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessi...ality_disorder
    Mechant Loup! (probbaly spelled wrong, but it's 2AM, I can't sleep, leave me alone :P

p.s. I suffer from OCD tendencies as well, and I must say Wikipedia is probably the worst/best thing someone with "mild OCD" could come across.

p.p.s. Can someone add Basenotes to Wikipedia, I don't know how. Plus their need to be more pages based on fragrances there.

Patou Pour Homme
    (I only have a decant.)

For me, Bulgari EXTREME, because it smells rich and goes along with a suit, not casual wear, in my opinion. I'm new to this (only 6 months now) so no idea upon real expensive frags like Creed.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Cuiron and Vetiver Extraordinaire.
    Damn, I should really buy at least one extra, big bottle of Cuiron and keep it in the fridge for future use.
    The VE is just the 5ml sample. I meant to buy a full bottle, but had to realize I coudn't really afford it.

To me Antaeus is almost too rich scent to be actually worn. And so I do enjoy this scent usually just putting it on my hand, rather that spritzing it all over me. Drydown manages to amaze me every single time.

This is weird but I'm loving my first wearing of Voleur de Roses so much I'm actually rationing a mini 1ml sample. Now that's rationing. I applied just a few dabs to my neck and wrist and it is not fading after about 6 hours so far. I really hope I can find either a discount site or someone with a partial bottle soon.