Code of Conduct

Default Longevity of Guerlain scents

This is my first topic post so please bear with me. Is it my imagination or do some of guerlains scents have a severe longevity problem. I tried a sample of eau de guerlain on my hand today. All I got was a sharp lemon scent then 5 minutes later nothing. I had to put my nose right on my hand to even detect a hint of any fragerance.
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Default Re: Longevity of Guerlain scents

Quote Originally Posted by docpsycho
    This is my first topic post so please bear with me. *Is it my imagination or do some of guerlains scents have a severe longevity problem. *I tried a sample of eau de guerlain on my hand today. *All I got was a sharp lemon scent then 5 minutes later nothing. *I had to put my nose right on my hand to even detect a hint of any fragerance. *
    Hi, Doc!
    The Guerlains I own are long lasting!
    Well, Guerlain Vetiver last more than 24 hours on my skin and if i don't take a shower, It just doesn't fade!!
    L'Instant has also a great staying power, often more than 6 hours...

l'instant goes for a very long time on me as well

Doc, you aren't imagining things. Most of the Guerlain colognes don't last very long at all. I have had several bottles over the years and I would just put them on before bed not worrying about longevity. I just can't justify buying some of the weaker ones when it is so much cheaper to just wear...nothing. Check out the Vetiver though...it's wonderful and lasts a long time.

L'instant goes great guns on me as well. Also Vetiver too. I like Mouchoir Monsieur but I have to reapply so often. Imperial was gone after 30 minutes but I didn't like the Neroli in that one. I find Neroli to be an odd scent. Almost disturbing on some levels. It smells more like a strong curry to me than citrus.
    For sale post

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

I find that the ones with excellent longevity are Habit Rouge, Vetiver and Heritage. I find good longevity with L'Instant PH.

I find that the older ones like Imperial, Mouchoir and the bee bottle ones don't last at all.

Thumbs up for L'Instant and Vetiver when it comes to awesome frags with good longevity. The Vetiver lasts forever (24 hours it seems) on my skin too. I get a good 6 plus hours from L'Instant. L'Instant also wears really well on my clothes as well. Vetiver does not do so well on my clothes.
    Peace ~ Markymark

Welcome aboard!

Good question.

The shortest lived frags on me are Mouchoir de Monsieur and EDC Imperiale. They seem to last about 5-15 min on me. I haven't tried Eau de Guerlain, but I wouldn't expect that it would last long... however it might be pretty subtle rather than have siliage.

Jicky EDT lasts a few hours on me, and L'Instant PH, and Heritage EDT lasts about the same amount of time.

Vetiver can either last 5 minutes on me or all day. It is pretty unpredictable on my skin.

Habit Rouge EDC and EDT last about the same amount of time on my skin generally, meaning all day. The EDT is simply stronger on my skin and a little more cardboardy. I don't recall how long the EDP lasts...
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

In general I find Guerlains to have very good longevity on me. Habit Rouge lasts forever even though I can tolerate it only 30 minutes. Heritage, L'Instant, Vetiver and Coriolan last for 8 hours.

I can only speak of the ines I own, Vetiver, Heritage, L'instant and they are all very long lasting. L'instant being the shortest.

I think you've made the wrong generalisation. Instead I am very suspicious of every scent labelled
    "Eau de ........"

More often than not it is either some short lasting, or relatively short lasting, citrus scent.

For example, Eau de Artisan is good for about three hours on me, as is L'Eau par Kenzo. Eau de Rochas is good for about 5 hours (significantly less than most Rochas scents). It seems to be everybody's take on the incredibly successful, yet incredibly short lasting, Eau Sauvage.
    Renato

In my experience Imperiale is the only one which doesn`t last; it`s completely gone in two hours. But, Eau de Guerlain for example has a great lasting power on me, not to mention some other ones.

This is my first topic post so please bear with me. *Is it my imagination or do some of guerlains scents have a severe longevity problem. *I tried a sample of eau de guerlain on my hand today. *All I got was a sharp lemon scent then 5 minutes later nothing. *I had to put my nose right on my hand to even detect a hint of any fragerance. *
    The Guerlains that I wear (Habit Rouge and Vetiver) have pretty good staying power. *I have never tried Eau de Guerlain, but I have tried a couple of the other fragrances in the Guerlain Eaux selection --- Guerlain Eau de Coq and Guerlain Eau Imperiale, which are both quite beautiful traditional colognes but also extremely short-lived. *I recommend you try some of the other fragrances from Guerlain.

The only Guerlain frag that i like is Guerlain Vetiver, and in addition to being a fantastic vetiver scent, it lasts 10+ hours !
    -

I couldn't believe I couldn't smell a thing of Shalimar EdT after 2 hours. Jicky PdT doesn't last more than 3-4 hours unless it's a very humid day or my body heat rises, and the lavender actually reawakens.

And ironically the best longevity is AA Anisia Bella on me.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan
    I find that the ones with excellent longevity are Habit Rouge, Vetiver and Heritage. I find good longevity with L'Instant PH.

I find that the older ones like Imperial, Mouchoir and the bee bottle ones don't last at all.
    Bingo. My experience as well - the older ones are weaker but the newer ones last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    In my experience Imperiale is the only one which doesn`t last; it`s completely gone in two hours. But, Eau de Guerlain for example has a great lasting power on me, not to mention some other ones.
    You are lucky then. Eau de Guerlain and Eau Imperial are Guerlains versions of the CLASSICAL COLOGNE, which were never meant to have a lasting scent !! (4711, Farina, Roger & Gallet Cologne would be others). They are from the days when real perfumes and scented oils were generally used for scenting purposes by a priviledged and rather limited section of the population. Those old colognes were applied as luxury waters. Colognes as 'power scents' came later and were originally derived from the respective perfumes, like Jicky, Mitsouko etc. Only male fragrances, I believe, started as colognes right away, like Knize Ten.

Longevity with Guerlains: for me Derby lasts best. Habit Rouge is near the limit I can bear. I do not mind when it eventually goes. The rest is weaker on me. Vetiver may appear to be gone after two hours, but then in the afternoon I may get surprise waves of it again. All in all - if most Hermes scents had the same average strength as Guerlains', I would consider myself a happy man!

'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

8-)You are lucky then. Eau de Guerlain and Eau Imperial are Guerlains versions of the CLASSICAL COLOGNE, which were never meant to have a lasting scent !! *(4711, Farina, Roger & Gallet Cologne would be others). They are from the days when real perfumes and scented oils were generally used for scenting purposes by a priviledged and rather limited section of the population. Those old colognes were applied as luxury waters. Colognes as 'power scents' came later and were originally derived from the respective perfumes, like Jicky, Mitsouko etc. Only male fragrances, I believe, started as colognes right away, like Knize Ten.

Thanks so much Narcus for the explination about the scented colognes being weak early on as they were ment as luxury waters. *This makes so much more sense to me now, as I try the earlier colognes out, I'll be able to keep this in mind and not be blown away when it doesn't have killer sillage. Great post reply. Sorry I am new to this and didn't realize there was a quote button. My apologies Narcus. I'm still finding my way around the site.

*Rick
    For sale post

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

From my experience I´d say that VETIVER lasts for 10 hours. It is one of the longest lasting scents I own.

The FROZEN VETIVER lasts for 5 or 6 hours and doesn´t smell as good. And I had a lot of work finding it and even paid a higher price than the VETIVER.

I think Guerlain Vetiver is a fantastic scent. It is green, it is classic, it is cheap and very masculine. I think it could belong in any wardrobe. It is been there for decades and it will never be "old" or out of fashion.

... post reply. Sorry I am new to this and didn't realize there was a quote button. My apologies Narcus. I'm still finding my way around the site.

Rick
    You are doing very well, Rick, and there is no need to apologize at all! Hang on and do not lose patience. In twelve months only you'll have collected profound knowledge of the perfume world. Compare what you hear with what your nose tells you (again and again). Testing is the most important thing of all. Keep your mind as open as you can, and do not be surprised when you notice that your preferences widen and change over time. Perfume smelling is highly rewarding and opens new worlds. I only loved one Guerlain scent right from the first smell of it. All the others grew on me over time and I owe that mostly to fellow basenoters. Two years ago, I did not even know what vetiver was and I hated Habit Rouge. Nowadays my respect for scents has increased a lot. I cannot despise or hate scents any more.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

what is the difference between EDP and EDt version of L'Instant? How do they comepare to the Guerlain Vetiver EDT frozen. This one last pretty long on me.
    Thanks

Wow!

I have Heritage, Vetiver and L'instant and they are all some of the longest lasting in my collection!

No problems here.

Good descriptions of the varying longevity of Guerlain scents, but for the classic "Eau de colognes" such as Imperiale and Eau de Coq, Eau de Guerlain is actually quite long lasting, as it has herbal middle notes that hang around for quite some time.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    Doc, *you aren't imagining things. *Most of the Guerlain colognes don't last very long at all. *I have had several bottles over the years and I would just put them on before bed not worrying about longevity. *I just can't justify buying some of the weaker ones when it is so much cheaper to just wear...nothing. *Check out the Vetiver though...it's wonderful and lasts a long time.
    The Guerlain colognes (like most colognes, which are largely based on evanescent citrus notes and, other volatile top-notes like many lavenders) are less long-lasting than the other scents in the Guerlain line. But you can be glad that you got the Eau de Guerlain. because it is the longest-lasting of all the all-too-brief colognes they make. It has some rose and some nice green, herbal notes that help it a lot. If you want a really short-lived one, try Eau de Coq.

Most Guerlains last a vey long time on me. Héritage, Vétiver, and Coriolan (now sadly discontinued) all last a long time on me, so that I can even smell them the next day...

Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB

The Guerlain colognes (like most colognes, which are largely based on evanescent citrus notes and, other volatile top-notes like many lavenders) are less long-lasting than the other scents in the Guerlain line. But you can be glad that you got the Eau de Guerlain. because it is the longest-lasting of all the all-too-brief colognes they make. It has some rose and some nice green, herbal notes that help it a lot. If you want a really short-lived one, try Eau de Coq.

Most Guerlains last a vey long time on me. Héritage, Vétiver, and Coriolan (now sadly discontinued) all last a long time on me, so that I can even smell them the next day...
    Eau de Guerlan and Eau Imperial last about the same short time, as has been signalled with 'Eau' in front of it's name. Such eaux(= waters) simply have no basenotes! This used to be common knowledge in Europe. That sad, Imperial is a tad more masculine, I thought at the time I bought a jumbo bottle of it. But I now like EdG better, and if you can confirm, it lasts longer than Imperial, JaimeB, I might consider a second cosmetic cologne. Anyone searching for it: it's among the feminine stuff in stores, if they carry it at all (boy, would i love to spend Euros galore during three days in Paris, Galeries Lafayette, and then the artisans...)

Derby's longevity and its ability to maintain quality throughout is as good as one could expect from a fragrance.
    "...The history of perfumery before this subdivision of niche was manufactured, both literally and imaginatively, is a long one, with thousands upon thousands of fragrances. The true fragrance lover takes each fragrance one at a time, and examines it preferably outside of the imaginatively manufactured categories and, in doing so, builds up a steady, informed basis for seasoned comparative judgments based on the sampling and information gathered from such sampling. This is why any one on the board who ever has anything particular interesting to say about fragrances as fragrances rather than as categorical constructs always has an abiding interest and passion for all kinds of fragrances and not just a narrow niche of fragrances. Conversely, the "niche whores," the more and more narrow their interests become, the more and more they mimic the ad copy of the very companies they worship. I know whose posts I like to read..."

“Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,” .......... “A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

Book recommendations:

Perfumes: The A-Z Guide
    The Emperor of Scent
    The Perfect Scent
    Scent and Chemistry

Feeding the Monster: IFRA and the EU Parliament
    www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

-http://www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

As Renato said, I'm a bit suspicious with every juice named "Eau" because, as the word sais itself is generally as longlasting as fresh water, specially on my skin that's the black hole of hesperidic notes (that are the main component of all the eaux generally).
    However, my experience with Guerlains is quite different depending on the scent. From the ones I tested, vintage Vetiver stays on the skin for about 5 hours while new Vetiver (which has more fresh topnotes and less tobacco-vetiver) stayes about 3 hours. about 3/4 hours also for the acqua allegoria pamplelune and herba fresca. Jicky edp, L'instant, Heritage and Habit Rouge stayes more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    I couldn't believe I couldn't smell a thing of Shalimar EdT after 2 hours. *Jicky PdT doesn't last more than 3-4 hours unless it's a very humid day or my body heat rises, and the lavender actually reawakens.

And ironically the best longevity is AA Anisia Bella on me.
    It's weird that you mention Shalimar, because it's sister frag (at least I think they have some relation) Samsara doesn't last too long on my gf. However, as everyone else has pretty much said, when I sampled Vetiver at the mall I smelled it forever.