Code of Conduct

Default Le Dandy--A scent for all occassions

This fragrance is rapidly becoming my favorite, edging out PdN's New York as my signature scent. I can't find a single flaw with it! Minor applications in application help it work equally at the office, for a formal dinner, or a romantic interlude. It's a wonderful mix of bright ginger, lush tobacco, and inviting liquor notes, but what's interesting to me is that it's one of the few scents that connotes a feel more than a smell at times. Everyone I've met likes it, but describes it more as inviting, warm, friendly or even mischevious more than saying "Oh yes I love the sweet smell". Perfect for cold weather, excellent projection and sillage, and admirable longevity. What's more I've never smelled anything that reminded me of it.

So, the twofold question:
    1: Does anyone else have Le Dandy, and if so what do you think?
    2: Is there anything comparable to it on the market?

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Le Dandy--A scent for all occassions

I enjoy your description. I am assuming that you refer to the modern version of this, which prominently carries the notes you describe. The vintage formula is much more powdery and less accessible; I prefer the update. It is on my want list, although I have a mini of what I believe to be an older version--much darker juice, and not as fun to wear. Still and all it is the liquor note that makes this a wonder. Many liquor-noted fragrances make me feel like I am wearing the clothes I spilled my drink on last night; while this is balanced and just feels rich. I think Havana approaches the feel of this, if only it were still in production, but is a bit spicier. Spark for Men also tries to pull off the rich liquor note, but is quite pale in comparison with an artificial plastic-y character underlying the goodness.

I LOVE Le Dandy....It is one of 20 bottles i will NEVER be without....NEVER!

Madgradx: I agree. It is a fabulous scent. It is warm and inviting, and sensuous. It is singularly unique in my view. It takes some confidence to wear, as it is unlike anything out there.

Good call.

Post Thanks / Like

Madgradx:
    Let me join the list of Le Dandy groupies--your description was excellent.

Post Thanks / Like

I also love and admire Le Dandy, and have my eye on a full bottle to replace my decant. Unlike you, however, I do not consider this a scent for all occasions. It is so amazingly rich and deep that I reserve its use for special occasions. It literally makes you feel rich, or at least it does me, and it's sillage is so captivating that I find it hard to get any work done when I wear it to work. For work wear, I've found Michael for Men from Michael Kors a quite decent, if thinner, approximation of Le Dandy, and available for a good price.

Jeff

In my top 5... it has so much body to it, when you first spray it on it feels like your sitting in a cloud! It's very long lasting and well balanced as well. I might be crazy, but I find the drydown of Fuel to be similar to Le Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H.
    I also love and admire Le Dandy, and have my eye on a full bottle to replace my decant. Unlike you, however, I do not consider this a scent for all occasions. It is so amazingly rich and deep that I reserve its use for special occasions. Jeff
    I used to have this view of a few fragrances: Le Dandy, Silver Water, and New York were big three. But the urge to wear them always overcomes the appropriatness of the situation, which leads to quite a few Sunday mornings reading the paper and smelling of Le Dandy.

Thanks...your thread led me to wear the "Dandy" again...it's been about 2 months since I last wore it.
    This stuff really is THAT good!

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered my first bottle of Le Dandy---blind--- and I hope it turn's out to be as "Dandy" for me as it is for y'all.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

A scent that never fails to get a compliment for me here. Winter coming up, great scent for this time of the year.

It's such a coincidence you mention New York and Le Dandy, I tested them for the first time the very same day! I made a purchase online and asked for samples of both, curious about the New York hype, but Le Dandy turned out to be the winner. Classic and classy, it's no wonder it has lived such a long life since it was launched in the 20s. I agree with docluv, it's rich and perfectly balanced. Only one drawback: not the best to wear the morning after a night you had an "extra" drink
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Post Thanks / Like

It was originally my experience with spark (A good one, needless to say) that inspired me to find a bottle of this, and boy am I ever glad.

I think it is a shame it is not more widely available, and while expensive I feel it is worth the price.

a good one for sure.
    If you see this, please be warned that my wardrobe is woefully out of date. It may never be updated. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, but be warned!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H.
    I also love and admire Le Dandy, and have my eye on a full bottle to replace my decant. Unlike you, however, I do not consider this a scent for all occasions. It is so amazingly rich and deep that I reserve its use for special occasions. It literally makes you feel rich, or at least it does me, and it's sillage is so captivating that I find it hard to get any work done when I wear it to work. For work wear, I've found Michael for Men from Michael Kors a quite decent, if thinner, approximation of Le Dandy, and available for a good price.

Jeff
    Jeff

You're quite right here - there are similarities between Le Dandy and Michael Kors. Thanks for pointing that out, BTW. I own a bottle of Kors and a sample of Le Dandy, yet I'd never spotted the commonalities between these fragrances until you mentioned them. Now that I compare them wrist-to-wrist, I can see exactly what you mean. They definitely have elements in common.

As you say, Kors is "thinner". Le Dandy is thicker, sweeter, and more aromatic. It smells a lot more lush and decadent than Kors. And it also smells boozier.

For these reasons, Kors might actually work better in an office environment; while Le Dandy may work better out of hours - except, perhaps, unless you're attending an AA meeting!.

I have Le Dandy drying down on one arm and Michael for Men (Kors) drying down on the other. Although they did start off differently, the longer these two drydown, the more similiar they become. Right now, in fact, I cannot tell the difference (and I am sniffing coffee beans between tests...)

Griff

Griff

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta find me a sample or decant of this stuff....

Post Thanks / Like

Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! I swore up and down I wouldn't order any more decants till my next paycheck...and now...argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do you guys have to go and make a fragrance sound so bloody good?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you to everyone who posted your glowing reports. Your comments got me to order the sample, and I finally got around to testing it. There are so many good things about this fragrance I can't figure out where to start. Except to say, "ditto, ditto, ditto" to every good comment that was written here.

which one is cheaper, michael or le dandy?

How does Le Dandy compare to Havana?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    How does Le Dandy compare to Havana?
    More sweeter and "whiskey-like" IMO.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [/URL]

I do have this scent and believe that it is a wonderful scent.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by mrliberfarb
    which one is cheaper, michael or le dandy?
    Le Dandy is def. pricier. Makes you feel like Dorian Gray just whipping out the Visa for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to recall someone saying that John Varvatos is similar to Le Dandy. Any takers on that comparison?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    I seem to recall someone saying that John Varvatos is similar to Le Dandy. *Any takers on that comparison?
    Very different. Where La Dandy is tobacco and booze, John Varvatos is spices and herbs.

Anyone know of anywhere you can try D'Orsay scents in London?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I only own Tillieul, which I love. I bought Chevalier D'Orsay in Paris as a student, but forgot what it was like. I thought it was great then. Anyone knows it?
    I am ready to buy 30 ml of Dandy, if someone has it to share.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trasker
    I gotta find me a sample or decant of this stuff.... *
    Well...it only took me 6 months to get a sample of this and thanks to my good friend Scentimental I have now discovered this truly amazing scent. My bottle is already ordered and on the way. It is my sotd today but I, like Madgradx who started this thread, could really see this one becoming signature. It seems to capture 'me' like no other. I've tested it several times (today is the first day with enough to be my SOTD) and each time I discover something new about it.

Now I NEVER fish for fragrance compliments...but there are a few women here for whom I'm 'the fragrance guy' who will regularly walk up and check out what I'm wearing. Not included in this group is our company receptionist who is gorgeous, very efficient, but never even cracks a smile or makes small talk. Ever. Today, as I dropped off some stuff at her desk just became completely animated and chatty, asking about what I was wearing and INSISTING I give her the name, telling me how 'fun' and 'sexy' it is and blah blah blah. I've worked with her for 5 years and I barely get a hello. Today she won't shut up and was even telling other people to check out my scent. (And no, I didn't wear that much!)

Most of the conversation here seems to think this is strictly winter but there is a certain brightness to it on my skin that makes me think I could get away with it year round, especially since our summer evenings can get a bit cool. I just don't know where I have smelled something both comforting and sexy all in one bottle. Definitly a winner. I will stick with Madgradx's recommendations!

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'll join the crowd of Le Dandy lovers! Yes, Michael is similar, but not nearly as old-world sophisticated.

Both of these make me think of another, not *too* similar scent (no prominent booze notes, and somewhat dry, though not altogether): Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac. A very nice, suave tobacco-leaf-based scent.

From a review of FdT at the BN Directory entry:
    ... [snip]...
    Notes: Pimento berry, cascarilla bark, pine, sage, tobacco, patchouli and tonka bean."

by Ayala , 30 October 2005.
    But Le Dandy is truly unique and classic in the genre.

Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

LeDandy is one of the first scents I gave a 5-star rating to. Classy yet fun. Seemed like a great party or night out scent to me. As for others that seem similar...for whatever reason booziness is what I focus on with LeDandy, and for that, I'd say Frank no. 2 and Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe (still don't know why Basenotes has that and Pd'E Eau de Gloire marked as women's scents). Both are worth sampling. I think I like LeDandy best of the three, but all three are good.

I love Le Dandy. I agree that it shares some qualities with Feuilles de Tabac. They both have sophistication and a booziness, though they don't really smell that similarly.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Post Thanks / Like

"2: Is there anything comparable to it on the market? "

I'd compare it to Givenchy Gentlemen now that I have both.

Dan

[/URL]

I have seen you rave about this elsewhere madgrad, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where I can order some from!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skawes
    I have seen you rave about this elsewhere madgrad, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where I can order some from!
    Try this:

http://www.perfumebay.com/men-s-l-le...by-d-orsay.htm

What a coincidence--I wore Le Dandy to work today and I was thinking that I should start a thread on how great it is as an office fragrance.

Really great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus
    [quote author=skawes link=1130262099/30#32 date=1147406210]I have seen you rave about this elsewhere madgrad, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where I can order some from!
    Try this:

http://www.perfumebay.com/men-s-l-le...by-d-orsay.htm

What a coincidence--I wore Le Dandy to work today and I was thinking that I should start a thread on how great it is as an office fragrance.

Really great stuff![/quote]

Well i'll be! I have bought stuff there, but I somehow failed to ever notice that! DOH