Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Green Irish Tweed, Cool Water, and Heresy  

[hr] Disclaimer: For those that are easily offended at the worst kind of Basenotes sacrilidge and fragrance heresey, just hit the back button now and never return to this post. *[hr]

Yesterday I wrote this on another thread, longing for the lighter topnotes missing from my 2003 Green Irish Tweed:

Quote Originally Posted by OlfaOmega
    I've got an '03 bottle of GIT and an '02 bottle of MI. *The notes for both are richer and more developed as you describe. *But I actually miss the lighter, more airy character of the topnotes of these when the juice is "new". *I'm actually considering swapping my '03 GIT for someone with a newer bottle that would prefer the more developed character. *

Here's a good way to describe it. *The lighter topnotes on GIT that people always compare to Cool Water do not exist in my '03 bottle of GIT. *That may be good for some but I like that part of GIT, as well as the rest of it. *

If anyone is interested, PM me. *
    These thoughts went through my head again as I walked by an open bottle of Cool Water at TJ Max today. *Before you decide you know where I'm about to go with this, let me get some things out of the way:

• Is Cool Water a copy of GIT? *Yes
    • Does it have the comprable depth and complexity No
    • The Cool Water topnotes are 95% as good as the GIT topnotes. *The synthetic tinge prevents a perfect score. *
    • Cool Water doesn't change much either through mid basenotes, compared to GIT which chnages a great deal. *

However..... (back to the heresey)

The top notes are damn good. *So good that I intend to take the unholy action of squirting Cool Water on top of my '03 GIT the next time I wear it. *I get my topnotes back, without having to purchase a new bottle of newer GIT. *Will the combined juices work as I want them to, or will they form a corrosive, Exorcist-style acid that severs my hand at the wrist? *Only one way to know......

There is no Nose....

Default Re: Green Irish Tweed, Cool Water, and Heresy &nbs

At first, it took me months before I could even consider that the two scents were different. Now, not only do I think they're different, but I sincerely believe that they're completely different.

And they're special to me, each and every one. There is no doubt that Cool Water is a copy, but it's a well done copy that has its own character, and a good one at that. When I feel like having a more professional, quality scent, I put on the GIT. When I feel like having fun in the hot summer, Cool Water is the choice of heroes.

So feel no shame!

Feel no shame. 99.9999% of people who smell GIT will think it's Cool Water anyway. Reserve the GIT for a meeting with other Basenoters.

Will the combined juices work as I want them to, or will they form a corrosive, Exorcist-style acid that severs my hand at the wrist? Only one way to know......
    Last time I tried that my head started spinning 360 degrees around.... just FYI....

i say go for it! all the points you make about the similarities and differences are spot on.

the thing that gets me is that the name cool water just seems much more appropriate for that smell than green irish tweed

"Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by chris21
    At first, it took me months before I could even consider that the two scents were different. Now, not only do I think they're different, but I sincerely believe that they're completely different.

And they're special to me, each and every one. There is no doubt that Cool Water is a copy, but it's a well done copy that has its own character, and a good one at that. When I feel like having a more professional, quality scent, I put on the GIT. When I feel like having fun in the hot summer, Cool Water is the choice of heroes.

So feel no shame!
    I agree althought I never thought cool water smelled anything like GIT, never! I don't think you are insane for experiencing deja vu with you smell cool water but CW lives deep in the shadows of GIT.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae
    Feel no shame. 99.9999% of people who smell GIT will think it's Cool Water anyway. Reserve the GIT for a meeting with other Basenoters.
    Hmm, maybe it's time to get some GIT. It could be a secret meeting code, like the secret societies, hehe! :P

Default Re: Green Irish Tweed, Cool Water, and Heresy *

I've been through 2 bottles of GIT and I'm on my 3rd right now so perhaps either 1.) my bottles are FAKE or 2.) my bottles went STALE because I swear on my whole frag collection that my GIT smells very similar to Cool Water. I don't know if people are in denial because it's the almighty Creed, but to say that GIT has absolutely nothing in common with Cool Water is beyond my comprehension. Sure the drydowns may vary slightly but I don't think they're miles apart at all. I know many factors come into play such as skin chemistry and what not, but even on a tester strip, I find the two alike. That's just me though. Personally, if I didn't get my new GIT bottle for free, I would have replaced my old bottle with Cool Water. The general public really wouldn't notice the difference.

I don't think they smell too much alike, a bit yeah, I think Himalaya smells more like XS then GIT does to CW.

On the side note, I have not worn GIT in over 5 months, Was in love with it at first and still love it now, but I don't seem to going for my bottle I have about 25-30ml remaining in my 4oz bottle and I just keep telling my self save it for special days.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

In my opinion there are superficial similarities in the top notes. But Once GIT drys down, it leaves CW in it's dust, weaping like a lttle girly-man.

Now let's talk about the similarities between Muglar Cologne and Creed Original Vetiver

I wonder if those that can't tell *any* similarites have an '03 or earlier bottle of GIT. *If you comapare new GIT to Cool Water, there really shouldn't be a question. *

However, *the "CoolW" top notes really mellow out by the time you get to '03, and at that point, they aren't very similar, hence, my desire to perform this unholy experiment in the first place. *

There is no Nose....

I wonder if those that can't tell *any* similarites have an '03 or earlier bottle of GIT. *If you comapare new GIT to Cool Water, there really shouldn't be a question. *

However, *the "Coolie" top notes really mellow out by the time you get to '03, and at that point, they aren't very similar, hence, my desire to perform this unholy experiment in the first place. *
    My bottle is from 2002 and just smelt it first time in 5 months and I had sniffed CW a few days ago and my nose tells me they smell not much alike at all. I don't know if its my bottle but my GIT seems to smell kind of creamy and smooth on the dry down.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Quote Originally Posted by Incedal
    [quote author=OlfaOmega link=1147230463/0#10 date=1147291625]I wonder if those that can't tell *any* similarites have an '03 or earlier bottle of GIT. *If you comapare new GIT to Cool Water, there really shouldn't be a question. *

However, *the "Coolie" top notes really mellow out by the time you get to '03, and at that point, they aren't very similar, hence, my desire to perform this unholy experiment in the first place. *
    My bottle is from 2002 and just smelt it first time in 5 months and I had sniffed CW a few days ago and my nose tells me they smell not much alike at all. *I don't know if its my bottle but my GIT seems to smell kind of creamy and smooth on the dry down.
    [/quote]

I am going to wear some GIT now, ahhhh so smooth!

I wonder if those that can't tell *any* similarites have an '03 or earlier bottle of GIT. If you comapare new GIT to Cool Water, there really shouldn't be a question.

However, the "CoolW" top notes really mellow out by the time you get to '03, and at that point, they aren't very similar, hence, my desire to perform this unholy experiment in the first place.

Just to throw a spanner in the works - to my nose my '02 GIT smells a lot like cool water all the way into the heart, not just at the top. I agree exactly with the assesment given by the starter of this thread.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

However, *the "CoolW" top notes really mellow out by the time you get to '03, and at that point, they aren't very similar, hence, my desire to perform this unholy experiment in the first place. *
    Well there goes that theory. * Incedal and hirch_duckfinder both own '02 and have opposite impressions: *

Pre '03 Topnotes are not CW'ish - * * *
    Quote Originally Posted by Incedal
    My bottle is from 2002 and just smelt it first time in 5
    months and I had sniffed CW a few days ago and my nose tells me they smell not much alike at all. *I don't know if its my bottle but my GIT seems to smell kind of creamy and smooth on the dry down.
    Pre '03 Topnotes are ideed CW'ish - *
    Quote Originally Posted by hirch duckfinder
    Just to throw a spanner in the works - to my nose my '02 GIT smells a lot like cool water all the way into the heart, not just at the top. I agree exactly with the assesment given by the starter of this thread.

There is no Nose....

I really don't think Himalaya smells that similar to XS because Himalaya has many things going on that XS doesn't have. But GIT and Cool Water are like, exactly the same. Cool Water is like GIT gone bad or GIT on stale smelling/unwashed skin. Or rather GIT diluted with alcohol. Like a carbon copy.

Quote Originally Posted by mugler
    I really don't think Himalaya smells that similar to XS because Himalaya has many things going on that XS doesn't have. But GIT and Cool Water are like, exactly the same. Cool Water is like GIT gone bad or GIT on stale smelling/unwashed skin. Or rather GIT diluted with alcohol. Like a carbon copy.

To my nose Himalaya and XS are twins, while CoolWater and GIT are more like 3rd cousins.

Default Re: Green Irish Tweed, Cool Water, and Heresy  

OK, so to revive one of these Cool Water vs Green Irish Tweed threads - whereas Cool Water was the first fragrance I'd ever had - a present from my mother - Green Irish Tweed is the most recent one - I managed to acquire an *authentic* 4oz bottle, with cap, like 98% full on ebay for a whopping $29 including shipping! To anyone looking for a real GIT on ebay, *only* buy it used from an individual, and never buy it from a store or professional seller unless it's a tester, or it's selling for close to the retail price.

That said - this stuff is just heavenly. Yes, on first blast, if you take it as a whole without paying attention to any note in particular it smells almost exactly like Cool Water (or rather Cool Water smells almost exactly like GIT). However, GIT has so much more balls/huevos than CW. First if you close your eyes and pay attention, the topnotes smell much more vibrant and natural, in particular the lemon/vervène, the violet leaves and iris, etc. But that's not really what makes it so special vs Cool Water as these are aspects that probably most people won't notice.

What really makes it worth spending on or hunting for (depending on your income level) is the typical Creed chord in the heart and base. The ambergris/musk (and maybe a touch of vanilla?) fuzzball at the heart of several popular creeds is what makes this scent a living three dimensional, ethereal dream, where Cool Water is a 2D photograph.

I ran out of Cool Water ages ago, so I can't do the comparison on any plebs, but I suspect even members of the general public would notice the difference between the two if you just wait 15 minutes for the heart and basenotes to appear, vs having them compare the two at first blast when they're almost identical (though GIT has a much stronger citrus I'd say).

I never though I could get so damned excited about something conventional and non-risqué, but there you go.

Rock on Cary Grant!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

i can't quite enjoy either, they both come off as a little uninspired to my nose, but i have some kind of bias against traditional types of scents ...
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Just get Coolwater, Unforgivable, XS and Mugler's Cologne and you will have a nice quasi-Creed collection in your cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by eau_de_amour View Post
    Just get Coolwater, Unforgivable, XS and Mugler's Cologne and you will have a nice quasi-Creed collection in your cabinet.
    Maybe but quasi is just quasi - it's like saying just get chocolate cake without any icing and you have a quasi good cake. Cool Water and XS are pleasant, but there's no life to them. You get Himalaya and GIT and it's magic. It's a huge difference.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Quote Originally Posted by eau_de_amour View Post
    True, just add Joop! for OS, and PdN New York, and you're all set.

BTW, if I met a non-Basenoter with a wardrobe consisting of these 6 pseudo-Creed scents, I would be thoroughly impressed.

And I love cake without frosting better than cake with. Frosting is too expensive, and doesn't add enough to justify the cost. Pseudo-Creeds rule!

Actually, when it comes to cake, I tend to just buy icing and eat it out of the cylinder/box... I love that stuff! Then I get a nasty buzz and it messes up my digestion, but it's so good goin' down!
    --------------------------------------
    What's PdN by the way?
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 8th December 2007 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Quote Originally Posted by chris2005 View Post
    I had the exact same reaction as you. I keep wondering what my nose was thinking back then.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Maybe but quasi is just quasi - it's like saying just get chocolate cake without any icing and you have a quasi good cake. Cool Water and XS are pleasant, but there's no life to them. You get Himalaya and GIT and it's magic. It's a huge difference.
    Sure, its nothing compared to the real thing - but if you bought all 4 bottles online, the price is equivalent to one bottle of Creed at a retail store.

According to Creed, Prince Charles wears GIT. If you check around, many websites stated that his preferred fragrance is Cool Water. It makes you wonder if they mistaken his GIT as CW or is it the other way around?

If you wear fragrance for yourself, go for Creed - you know its the good stuff and it really does smells better; but if you wear fragrance to please others, get the cheaper alternative - few people will notice the difference. (Better than getting fake Creed on Ebay)

I haven't tested this, but I strongly suspect that when people mistake GIT for Cool Water when they smell it on someone (which I'm sure happens often) that those people actually like the smell of the GIT you're way more than they would if you were wearing Cool Water - i.e. "Wow, is that Cool Water? I forgot how good that stuff is!"

And about the names Cool Water vs Green Irish Tweed - Cool Water is a great name, but I don't think it would suit GIT because GIT isn't all that "cool" smelling with those warm musky-gris notes in the base.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Sorry to hear you have an old or fake bottle of GIT. The drydowns are worlds apart. GIT is a smoky campfire while CW is a synthy swimming pool. How is that 95% similar?

Of course they are alike, damn near completely identical to just about everybody. A nose capable of dissecting every nuisance of a fragrance might be able to tell some subtle difference between the two. I know is my case I could smell more lemon in GIT and it was not quite as artificial smelling all around, but to everybody else it is Cool Water, any differences they might detect are easily dismissed as cologne and body chemistry.

If you think GIT smells "way better" then Cool Water, wear GIT for a couple of weeks, then switch to Cool Water. See if anyone asks if you switched colognes.

CW is like that box at the drugstore counter "If you like Giorgio you'll love Primo". Remember those? Sure, there are similarities IF you tell people. If you spray on GIT lightly (2x) all you'll get are compliments. Spray heavily (3+++) and you risk that cheap 80's clubbing smell. GIT is powerful stuff if you have the real thing and it's fresh. CW is purely synthetic smelling.

is not so simple...thats shows that your nose don´t know the differences about this scents...unbeatable is Green Irish Tweed. Maybe you will learn some time...is like orange juice...do you want it fresh pressed or just 50% real Orange Juice?