Code of Conduct

Default URGENT, the scent of my dreams

Today was an excellent day for my nose. *We (Joel_Cairo and I) went on a Sephora excursion and smelled every male and female scent . *I tend to like masculine scents more, so we did most of our heavy testing in the men's section. *The story line goes like this... I sprayed many fragrances on many different pieces of paper. *I threw away the ones I didn't like, but for some reason, I stuck one of the ones I didn't like into my pocket and forgot about it. *About 15 minutes later, I took it out of my pocket and smelled it again. *Low and behold, it's the scent of my dreams, but I couldn't remember which fragrance it was. *We started testing the scents again that had similar notes, but couldn't figure it out. *We finally left when sephora was closing, with a piece of paper that smelled like heaven, but no name to identify it. * :'(

Now, I'm asking for your help. *It definitely had a predominant tobacco scent, especially for about the first half hour. *It slowly started to get sweeter and muskier. *It smelled like a more subtle version of Dolce and Gabanna Pour Homme, it was similar to the tobacco scent of Dreamer, but lighter. *We thought it might be Dunhill, but numerous comparisons made us doubt it as the scent. *

What fragrances match this description (that could be found at Sephora)? Please recommend anything you can think of, I will test them all because I fell in love with this scent and I need to bask in its glory. * *

Default Re: URGENT, the scent of my dreams

Paco Rabanne XS? Pleasures?

better to go back and do it all over again Selen :-/ :-/
    Good luck !

I loved the way Versace Man smelled on a strip, and it sure is a tobacco scent. Maybe that or the new one, Versace Man Eau Fraîche?

I intensely dislike both on my skin, by the way.

put this here by mistake
    "...The history of perfumery before this subdivision of niche was manufactured, both literally and imaginatively, is a long one, with thousands upon thousands of fragrances. The true fragrance lover takes each fragrance one at a time, and examines it preferably outside of the imaginatively manufactured categories and, in doing so, builds up a steady, informed basis for seasoned comparative judgments based on the sampling and information gathered from such sampling. This is why any one on the board who ever has anything particular interesting to say about fragrances as fragrances rather than as categorical constructs always has an abiding interest and passion for all kinds of fragrances and not just a narrow niche of fragrances. Conversely, the "niche whores," the more and more narrow their interests become, the more and more they mimic the ad copy of the very companies they worship. I know whose posts I like to read..."

“Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,” .......... “A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

Book recommendations:

Perfumes: The A-Z Guide
    The Emperor of Scent
    The Perfect Scent
    Scent and Chemistry

Feeding the Monster: IFRA and the EU Parliament
    www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

-http://www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

OH NO.......What a big fat bummer!!!

I know its a pain but why not go back to sephora's armed with a pen and ziplock baggies
    spray each card....label it....drop it in its own ziplock baggie so it does not mingle scent wise with any of the other tester strips and you can take them home and then compare it to the strip you have if it still has scent and if not.....you can still find the one of your dreams at home and can wait for the dry down on the strips.......

best of luck rediscovering the scent of your dreams

Why So Serious?

Wow, this is quite tough, but maybe it could've been Herrara for Men, Michael for Men and it could even be Burberry London even though there's no tabacco, but i find it to have the same vibe as DG, so who knows. *Hope you find it a again and reveal the mystery to us.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Byerley
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Could it be Geir? I've always thought that it bore a little resemblance to D&G ph (without the lemon, of course).

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

I don't think they have Geir at Sephora.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    I don't think they have Geir at Sephora.
    no, no they don't. They also don't have Xs or Paco, so those are out of the running.

What they carry with tobacco notes are (in order of tobacconess): The Dreamer, D&G PH, Dunhill (not listed, but very apparent to my nose), Baldessarini and Vera Wang. Did you check those out?

Maybe Herrera Chic for man? :

Why dont u give the paper to the sales assistants to smell it? I dont usually trust them, but you have nothing to lose. Also, dont spray the scents on a pepar because you have to wait for the drydown. Try first sniffing the bottle and see if it smells like it...

Quote Originally Posted by ^myself^
    Why dont u give the paper to the sales assistants to smell it? I dont usually trust them, but you have nothing to lose. Also, dont spray the scents on a pepar because you have to wait for the drydown. Try first sniffing the bottle and see if it smells like it...
    we tried this.
    With two sales assistants in fact.
    Reignited my disdain for these people: One claimed "not to be the nose of the store" and then disappearing into the back of the store. The other one, clearing embarassed by a question she was totally unqualified to answer, claimed not to be able to smell the strip, saying the smell had faded away and we were inagining it. Then when she admitted to getting a "read" on it, she positied that this mysterious tobacco/musk was none other than Lacoste Essential, a.k.a. "the frag Sephora is pushing on everyone this week."
    They were officially useless. At least the first one diffused the situation by owning up to having no idea what I was talking about, the other one just sucked. Did give us samples though, so thats all good.

Overcome By Fumes

Maybe it's your pocket that smells so good...

Just a thought...

(Didn't get much sleep last night!)

The Versaces seem like good suggestions, perhaps Guerlain Vetiver--but that's so distinctive. Bulgari Blu is light and might smell better after pocketed a while. Vera Wang?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    [quote author=^myself^ link=1146806174/0#11 date=1146841329]Why dont u give the paper to the sales assistants to smell it? I dont usually trust them, but you have nothing to lose. Also, dont spray the scents on a pepar because you have to wait for the drydown. Try first sniffing the bottle and see if it smells like it...
    we tried this.
    With two sales assistants in fact.
    Reignited my disdain for these people: One claimed "not to be the nose of the store" and then disappearing into the back of the store. The other one, clearing embarassed by a question she was totally unqualified to answer, claimed not to be able to smell the strip, saying the smell had faded away and we were inagining it. Then when she admitted to getting a "read" on it, she positied that this mysterious tobacco/musk was none other than Lacoste Essential, a.k.a. "the frag Sephora is pushing on everyone this week."
    They were officially useless. At least the first one diffused the situation by owning up to having no idea what I was talking about, the other one just sucked. Did give us samples though, so thats all good.[/quote]

This is how I look at it: Any large size store are trying to push different things on consumers, itīs their goal. Their ideal customer is not someone who has a special interest in and knowledge about something, or is after something unusual (unless they can bost about being the only ones with this paticular thing in store) itīs someone who walks in there to be persued to buy something. I really donīt think the SAīs are to blame for that; this is how they train their staff. *I donīt mean to lash out on your post, I have just read so many posts about stupid and ignorant SA:s. Sometimes these stories can be funny, but still I think you have to see the larger picture. Unlike someone who owns or works in small a perfumerie, or a niche store, sales assistants in large stores seldom work there out of interest or passion for perfume. They work there to make a living, or perhaps because they have a small interest in what they sell. That doesnīt mean I think you should put up with unfriendly, arrogant or pushy behavior, but I actually donīt think itīs reasonable to demand that a sales assistant in a large store should be able to point out a scent by smelling a scent-strip. They should show interest in your inquiries, but that is a different thing. Now, if you meant Sephora particulary by "these people", I appologize for misunderstanding.

Unfortunately I donīt have any ideas about what the mystery scent could have been. Sorry to go a little off-topic.

Try these two,

Vera Wang or Dolce and Gabanna Masculine.

How about Guerlain's Vetiver? It's got its hints of tobacco. Just a stab in the dark here.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

L'Instant PH has that lemon you speak of.

I bet it was romance silver by RL. It has that tobacco note in it and is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinterdroppe

This is how I look at it: Any large size store are trying to push different things on consumers, itīs their goal. Their ideal customer is not someone who has a special interest in and knowledge about something, or is after something unusual (unless they can bost about being the only ones with this paticular thing in store) itīs someone who walks in there to be persued to buy something. I really donīt think the SAīs are to blame for that; this is how they train their staff. *I donīt mean to lash out on your post, I have just read so many posts about stupid and ignorant SA:s. Sometimes these stories can be funny, but still I think you have to see the larger picture. Unlike someone who owns or works in small a perfumerie, or a niche store, sales assistants in large stores seldom work there out of interest or passion for perfume. They work there to make a living, or perhaps because they have a small interest in what they sell. That doesnīt mean I think you should put up with unfriendly, arrogant or pushy behavior, but I actually donīt think itīs reasonable to demand that a sales assistant in a large store should be able to point out a scent by smelling a scent-strip. They should show interest in your inquiries, but that is a different thing. Now, if you meant Sephora particulary by "these people", I appologize for misunderstanding.

Unfortunately I donīt have any ideas about what the mystery scent could have been. Sorry to go a little off-topic.
    I don't see this as lashing out at all, Vinterdroppe *. What bothers me is not their lack of familiarity with their frags; I completely understand that its not their job to have intimate knowledege of each othe two hundred bottles lining their wall. I have no problem whatsoever with the first SA saying men's frags were not her area of expertise. I respect that level of candor in a salesperson. What gets my goat is the second SA, who sniffed the strip, and realizing that we knew more than her, tried to mask the situation, saying there was no scent at all, before further insulting my intelligence by suggesting that it was Lacoste Essential we were after, presumably because I'm 24 and that's whose buying this stuff. I would have appreciated her saying "I'm sorry, I really am no expert in this area" and leaving it at that.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. Each time I went back in for another whiff on that fateful night, my inclination was always Dunhill 2003, but Jen wore that from my bottle the next day and determined that it is not our suspect. I wore Baldessarini, also not what we smelled. I'm wearing Vera Wang at the moment, and it's likewise close but no cigar. I am positive it isnt Guerlain vetiver, as Jen can't stomache vetiver notes (even Terre d'Hermes crinkles her nose) or L'Instant PH (as this is one of her long-time favorites and a frag she recognizes at the slightest whiff). At the moment I'm thinking Burberry London, Pleasures, Bvlgari Blv and Romance Silver are the ones which call for reinvestigation, as they are the recs which I know least well and can't immediately disqaulify from forehand knowledge.

Ah, good luck finding the elusive scent!

You didn't test the Terre d'Hermes at Sephora did you? Is there any department store that carries this fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    Ah, good luck finding the elusive scent!

You didn't test the Terre d'Hermes at Sephora did you? *Is there any department store that carries this fragrance?
    yep, Sephora's where I tested it... Im kinda with Serpent on this one.

Oh awesome! I'm really eager to test it. It wasn't on the Sephora website, I'll guess I'll take a trip to the mall next time.

DO you wanna here something odd... Well this actually happened to me as well and I think the scent that you described as your dream scent meets the description of a frangrance that I tried and failed to get the name of as well.
    I tried it in Macys, and as I made my way out to the car,I pulled out the scent strips of the day...On further inspection of resmelling all the strips i too found one that matchs your description of this dream scent, and the odd thing is I also stood there in utter amazement over how wonderful the fragrance was and just like you failed to remember its name.
    Well after futher testing in the future I decided that the only fragrance that comes close to what i smelt that fateful day was Dunhill 2003. What is odd is though is that although I decided that it must have been Dunhill 2003, it wasnt an exact match of that dreamlike scent and is the reason why I have not bought it yet... This then led me to believe that maybe it just completly diffrent fragrance that I forgot to recall or it was Dunhill 2003 but on paper and after an approximate 15mins with it rubbing against other scent strips in the bundle I was carrying, it was combination of Dunhill 2003 and another fragrance unknown

But my best suggestion is on this dreamlike scent is Dunhill 2003 because this exact event happend to me and that is what I have concluded.If it is another fragrance please let me know, because that smell is something i want to get my hands on as well.
    GOOD LUCK

Quote Originally Posted by CreamZ
    DO you wanna here something odd... Well this actually happened to me as well and I think the scent that you described as your dream scent meets the description of a frangrance that I tried and failed to get the name of as well.
    I tried it in Macys, and as I made my way out to the car,I pulled out the scent strips of the day...On further inspection of resmelling all the strips i too found one that matchs your description of this dream scent, and the odd thing is I also stood there in utter amazement over how wonderful the fragrance was and just like you failed to remember its name.
    Well after futher testing in the future I decided that the only fragrance that comes close to what i smelt that fateful day was Dunhill 2003. What is odd is though is that although I decided that it must have been Dunhill 2003, it wasnt an exact match of that dreamlike scent and is the reason why I have not bought it yet... This then led me to believe that maybe it just completly diffrent fragrance that I forgot to recall or it was Dunhill 2003 but on paper and after an approximate 15mins with it rubbing against other scent strips in the bundle I was carrying, it was combination of Dunhill 2003 and another fragrance unknown

But my best suggestion is on this dreamlike scent is Dunhill 2003 because this exact event happend to me and that is what I have concluded.If it is another fragrance please let me know, because that smell is something i want to get my hands on as well.
    GOOD LUCK
    Wow, that is quite a coincidence . *I actually kept on thinking the same thing about the dunhill, but after wearing it for a few days, I also doubted it. *I'm planning a zip lock bag visit to sephora this weekend (as suggested earlier in this thread, thank you, that's a great idea). *I'll let you know if there are any new developments. *I really appreciate everyone's input. *I have a large excel list of fragrances, their reviews from basenotes, and my experience with them. *The hunt is on. *:-* *

My bet is Dunhill 2003. An oddball option is Liz Realities for Men. They are both very similar to D&G.

Dunhill packs a liquor note.