Code of Conduct

Default Terre d'Hermes Vs Bigarade Concentree

Come on, which one of these would you reach for during the summer months and why?

Trebor

Default Re: Terre d'Hermes Vs Bigarade Concentree

Look, I don't have Terre d'Hermes, nor have I tried it but...even though Jean Claude Elena created both, nothing could be more expensive and shorter lasting than Bigarade Concentree! I ordered it from France and with postage, the large bottle was close to $200. I sprayed it on and loved it. It's an amazing scent. Bitter orange, a little cedar, a little bit of rose and maybe a little cumin. 10 minutes later it's gone. If I spray my clothes, it might last 30 minutes but not much past that. If I spray 1 spray or 16, it just disappears. From what I hear, Terre lasts much longer and is a much more complicated scent. Bigarade Concentree is really just supposed to smell like bitter orange. It doesn't evolve much because it doesn't hang around long enough. Please think twice before ordering this one. I would try Terre.

Terre d'Hermes is amazing. I could reach for it at almost anytime. Extremely versatile.

pluran
    "You have to paint things black in order to make future possibilities more vivid."

copmparing both Bigarrade with Acqua di Colonia/Colonia
    Bigarrade Concentrée with Acqua di Colonia/Colonia assoluta
    or both with Eau de Guerlain, Eau Sauvage, 4711, ...
    might make sense.

Terre d'Hermes - L'homme de Coeur
    Terre d'Hermes - L'Instant
    Terre d'Hermes - Jardin ....
    would be equal peers at least !
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Both are very pleasant and quite longlasting on me. I'd prefer Bigarrade concentrée among the two just because I find bitter orange to be a more distinguishing note and a very few used note in a so loud way (usually it's used in smaller dosage in classic perfumery). However both reem to have similar structure with zesty topnotes and warmer skin-type drydown.

I'd say Bigarade Concentree is even more of an orange burst, while Terre d'Hermes clearly has other notes as well.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    Terre d'Hermes is amazing. I could reach for it at almost anytime. Extremely versatile.

pluran
    I agree! I am in love with the fragrance. I will always be right next to my GIT and NS as Favs of all time!

It's Bigarade Concentrée all the way for me. This is perhaps my favourite scent of all. I've never had a problem with the longevity or evolution of this one. On my skin, the rose, hay and cardamom develop over the course of hours, and linger for at least two days. I don't get any cumin at all from this one, but I do get a warm, lingeringly spicy skin-like quality in the drydown.

I wanted to like Terre d'Hermès, but I got very little citrus, so I don't find it comparable with Bigarade Concentrée to any great extent. I should admit that I'm not a fan of vetiver at all, and I found the citrus-cedar balance gave way suddenly and oh-so-persistently to a strong vetiver note, which always comes up acrid and almost smoky for me. Apparently the construction of this one is meant to be centralized around a consistent core of cedar/green/earthiness, rather than in the traditional progression of top-middle-basenote. But, really, all I get is a bit of cedar and then, bam! It's "Hi, it's The ALL Vetiver Show! All vetiver, all the time! And now, here's your host, Vetiver!"

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Basenotes Plus

Bigarade is a true summer type citrus, but as mentioned is rather short lasting. Terre d'Hermes, although supposedly containing some citrus notes, to me is simply like mowed, mildewed grasses and is not very refreshing in hot weather. I also do not see any comparison. There are better, lower costing citrus frags as some have recommended.

Cool Re: Terre d'Hermes Vs Bigarade Concentree

I know I'm resurrecting an old post, but I need to throw in my 0.02$ for those who still peek around, and have recently discovered those two fragrances.

To me, Bigarade Concentree is like Terre, only younger. Maybe Terre in its 20's, before it gained the polished maturity and hidden poise. It is still an amazing fragrance. Yet sometimes, I feel like I just rubbed myself with tangerines mixed with a dash of peppercorns, that keeps strong until it mellows out to its sweet cloying aura. Terre has a 3 dimensional layer to it. The closer you get,the harsher it becomes. But the outer sphere
    of its reach is nothing similar to the bitter harsh orange as you sniff closer. An amazing smooth leathery sweet and fresh aura of Terre cannot be ignored, especially after a long dry out, it just carries itself beautifully. No such luck with Bigarade Concentree. It is mostly a one dimensional flick; it doesn't hide much.
    I cannot choose which one I'd ever stick with, I need both. Depending on the mood, and depending on the weather, I will wear both. One need one needs to consider, Bigarade Concentree will always be taken more bold, even those it is lighter in nature. Terre is perfect for being around people, especially work/school as only gives off the subtle outer layers of its core off, and it does it slowly.

One more comment, try and mix them together, you've got yourself a multi-dimensional tangerine on fertilizers.

enjoy exploring

Wow, the past has come to haunt me...

As hard as I try, I still can't exactly recall what made me want to post a thread like this. It's amazing how far I've come since those days (around this time, I had probbaly been posting here for roughly a month). And my thoughts now? Personally, neither of them are for me - I found what I was looking for in Diptyque's Oyedo.

I was going to suggest for something similar but different, Dali's Le Roy Soleil is worth considering. From my sampling I'd say it's primarily orange and ozone over cedar, with maybe a hint of vanilla or peru balsam or something.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Wow, the past has come to haunt me...

As hard as I try, I still can't exactly recall what made me want to post a thread like this. It's amazing how far I've come since those days (around this time, I had probbaly been posting here for roughly a month). And my thoughts now? Personally, neither of them are for me - I found what I was looking for in Diptyque's Oyedo.
    I was thinking the same thing Trebor - when I read the title of the thread and then saw that you had started it, I opened it up just to see what the hell you were talking about.
    Yes, how we do change our tastes here on Basenotes - don't we?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Terre d'Hermes - ONE STAR
    Bigarade Concentree - FIVE STARS

NO CONTEST

I stand by my original assessment from 2006, BC is brilliant and expensive and very short-lived. I wear it all the time prepared for the fact that it will be almost completely gone (on my skin) within an hour. I feel so envious of those that have skin that can hold on to it so it will last.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I was going to suggest for something similar but different, Dali's Le Roy Soleil is worth considering. From my sampling I'd say it's primarily orange and ozone over cedar, with maybe a hint of vanilla or peru balsam or something.
    Now, that sounds intriguing. I'll have to see if I can find a sample. Thanks for the info.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Sur la Plage

I think Terre d'Hermes is better/bigger bang for the buck. It is a great fragrance, it is reasonably priced, and it is appropriate for many different occasions/seasons.

While I do not dislike Bigarade Concentree, I was not bowled over by it to consider purchasing it - especially at the price being asked for it.

BTW - For those people who (conveniently) like to quote "the book" like it is "the gospel", L.T. thinks they are both three (3) stars
    Last edited by petruccijc; 8th May 2008 at 03:07 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BrothaG View Post
    I'd say Bigarade Concentree is even more of an orange burst, while Terre d'Hermes clearly has other notes as well.
    this is exactly what I was going to write. BC is like if you bite into an orange to get the peeling process started (and being a Floridian, I've done this a number of times ), whereas I find TdH a little more of a story being told. BC is a painting of an orange with a dark background and dim lighting (sort of like MikePerez's avatars), whereas TdH is a photo of a vast landscape with a clear blue sky and desert all around.

Huh, I just realized I'm posting on an old thread... oops. oh well, I'll leave it here Just reading Trebor's comment about not knowing what he was thinking starting a post like this made me not sure if I should post or not
    Last edited by nthny; 8th May 2008 at 07:25 AM.

Gotta love the assertive "Come on!" in the original post of this classic thread - hilarious !
    -