Code of Conduct

Thread: Eau de Reglisse

Default Eau de Reglisse

hello folks

managed to get a bottle of the latest addition to the House of Caron, eau de reglisse (liquorice) from Harrods in london. not really a male fragrance per se, more unisex. opens with a bracing air of aniseed and citrus notes. pretty soon i get a strong sense of the ginger coming through and after an hour everything softens and takes on a warm woody aroma with lasting hints of the ginger and liquorice, in particular. i was looking for a characterful day-wear fragrance for the summer (to interchange with my long-serving Monsieur Balmain) and this certainly fits the bill. it's light and fresh and a touch unusual. packaging-wise, a long cylindrical tube with a ribbed design that suggests japanese minimalism; the bottle is also pleasingly understated with a dark wooden stopper. at 38.00 for 100ml, it's very good value indeed. all i need now is a long hot summer...

regards
    mancheeros

Default Re: Eau de Reglisse

Welcome!! You just gave a wonderful description of a new fragrance by an "old" house, sure to pique the interest of many here. I love it when supposedly feminine scents are reviewed and enjoyed by men. How does this scent compare with anything else out there?

Welcome Mancheeros! Where do I know you from? Is it London Lounge?

The Caron sounds wonderful!
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

thanks for your kind words Mike. i wasn't aware that eau de Reglisse was being marketed as a feminine scent - it doesn't seem to be in Harrods. thinking outside the gender box a bit, i tried Aimez-Moi on my skin and so did the male sales assistant. we both thought that it was possibly wearable for a man, though it does get rather girly sweet over time. i tried Montaigne (as suggested by someone else on basenotes) also on my skin and for about half an hour it seemed wearable then gradually became rather too reminscent of toffees and almonds for my taste. sadly Alpona wasn't available but i'm keen to try this. the sales assistant seemed to think it wasn't available outside paris.

hello Prince Barry. you know me from the dandyism.net site. btw thanks for your recommendation of Coup de Fouet some time ago. i bought a bottle and find it most suitable for occasional evening-wear - it's a marvellous creation..

regards
    mancheeros

I'll second the recommendation from Mancheeros. Recieved a bottle today and it's good stuff

Of course Mancheeros, good old Dandyism. I haven't been on there very much recently.

BTW, Alpona is available at Harrods, but you need to go up to the 5th floor to Roja Dove's Haute Parfumerie which is inside the Urban Retreat. Take the Egyptian escalator up to the 5th, it's much more pleasant than the other excalators and more fitting for a Dandy. If you have never been up to Roja's place, you are in for a real treat!
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

thanks for that info about Alpona, PB. yes i've been up to Urban Retreat several times but each time i get talking and talking and can't seem to get away to do much else, which is why i stayed downstairs in the perfume hall this time. do you think Alpona is wearable for a man?

regards
    m

Yes, Alpona is incredibly suitable for a man.

The Alpona is in the Caron Fontaines in the corner and when you buy some, it's decanted out by hand.

Must admit, I get talking and can't escape, not that I want to... :

Glad you like the Coup de Fouet!

Roja Dove