Code of Conduct

Default L'Artisan Bois Farine and Voleur de Roses

I don't own either of these, but because they were mentioned a few times in recent post, it pique my curiosity to try them again.

Here's a concise review:
    Bois Farine is exactly like what most people perceived - a powdery, creamy scent. Its like nougat, almond oil, dough, flour and subtle peanut with a cardboard smell. It doesn't smells like perfume, more like a desert condenses in a bottle. Its a nice scent, that garage house-notes of L'Artisan (glue,rubber,petrol...etc) is well and alive in Bois Farine. I personally think that its meant to smell like flour but that glue/rubber note creates a pseudo almond smell.

If you want a more masculine version of Bois Farine, try Burberry's Touch for men. If you can't afford to pay L'Artisan's price try Body Shop's Javari - its almost the same.

I know Voleur de Rose is a holy grail to many members here, stop reading if you are one of them.

This is mainly a Rose scent. Quoting Shaky "A Rose by any other name will still smell as sweet." L'Artisan called it Thief of Roses, which is very appropriate (as always). However, this Rose is not as sweet as you think. The Rose is presented to you in the topnotes, but in the second Act, it was stolen. Leaving the final Act with an empty garden and sour smell of rotten petals and dirt.

When I walked by my neighbour's garden, they have a species of Rose that smells intoxicating - it has an Eucalyptus freshness and Vanilla creaminess. That is the Rose scent I love, Voleur de Rose smells like any artificial Rose essence you can buy from supermarket. Strangly, when I smell VdR, it stirs up memories of my grandfather. He enjoyed stuffing his closet with Rose scented mothballs which made all his clothes smells Rosy - in a mothball way. VdR is a very over-rated scent to me, I really can't see any justification for the price they are charging for it.

Default Re: L'Artisan Bois Farine and Voleur de Roses

Hey Au_de _ amour, exactly what I thought of VdR. Its roses plus grand father. In my case I like to associate it with something much older than my grand father, Dracula perhaps.

I like Bois Farine also. *When I want to smell "different" and not smell like "cologne", I reach for this. *Not very long lasting on me though.

I totally agree with your take on VdR. *When I first sampled it, I thought it was going to be my holy grail ... until the topnotes disappeared. *After that amazing 2 minutes, all I get is dirt. *I'm always amazed at how many people like this ... and ones like it, like Route du Vetiver by MPG. *That smells like dirt to me also.

Good reviews, very accurate. I have to try Javari!
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy