Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Blind buys you have most regretted...

I bought a bottle of MPG Iris Bleu Gris blind. Not at all what I expected. Ended up giving it away, very expensive mistake!
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

My first and last blind buy was Versace Man.

Gucci PH II , I have yet to see anyone liking it
    and Le Male it has a special note at the beginning that I can't stand.
    AFRA

Quote Originally Posted by afraafra View Post
    Gucci PH II , I have yet to see anyone liking it
    and Le Male it has a special note at the beginning that I can't stand.
    AFRA
    I actually like Gucci II. However, my wife thinks it is too perfume like. So far I have resisted pure blind buying.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I like blind buying. It's my way of "gambling". Usually I go for minis or 30-50ml bottles but nothing over $30. That would be crazy!

I got Jade East because I heard a bunch of people talking about it and how they miss it. Man does that stuff stink!

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    I like blind buying. It's my way of "gambling". Usually I go for minis or 30-50ml bottles but nothing over $30. That would be crazy!

I got Jade East because I heard a bunch of people talking about it and how they miss it. Man does that stuff stink!
    That is probably the only way I would go blind...perfume emporium and 7-8 of those $10=$15 minis.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Unhappy Re: Blind buys you have most regretted...

These blind buys have all got to go..

Penhaligons-English Fern
    Opium EDP
    Pino Silvestre
    Zino
    Tuscany
    Bowling Green
    Sexual
    Paul Sebastian
    L'Instant EDT
    Giorgio Red

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Too many to the list.... but I had fun.

Best blind buys - Live Jazz, Ralph Lauren Safari, and Lanvin l'homme

Worst blind buy - Tommy Bahama Set Sail for St. Barts (I heard good things about the lime note in the topnotes, so I bought it cheap at TJ Maxx. It smells like a margarita for 10 minutes, then it changes over to that generic "tropical" smell that you find in bubble gum and air fresheners. Hideous.)

I bought Ungaro 3 semi-blind and am starting to regret that one as well. I actually like the smell of it, but it doesn't interact with my skin at all. It just sort of sits on me like a plastic sheet of cologne. Instead of becoming a part of me, I feel like I am walking around all day as Big Scooter (+) cologne.

GIT and MI hands down.

Out of 40+ blind buys these were the only ones that disappointed.

Not bad fragrances but definitely nothing spectacular.

I found them safe (to quote my wife and others "soso" fragrances), unoffensive and good for the office without any spark (soulless?) that didn't live up to the hype with very poor longevity (they are authentic and fresh - 2007).

I am still hopeful that they will get better with age or that they will grow on me with time (Acier another blind buy is fantastic IMO).

Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme

Ulysseyes by Vicky Tiel
    Anucci
    Jordan by Michael
    Proximo by Gerparlys

Cheers,
    Al

Many will kill me for this, but it would have to be Guerlain Vetiver. I bought based on all of the reviews early on in this journey and have never worn it. Every once in a while I will go back to that shelf in my closet, take it out of the box and spray some on my arm. The first 2 seconds are fine. After that, it's a run to the sink get it off ASAP. I much prefer Creed OV to Guerlain. Second to that would maybe be Kiehl's Musk. I really thought that I would like it (used Jovan back in the 70's) but it's on the shelf keep Vetiver company.

I've made a bunch of blind buys at Marshalls, but none of them have been too much of a gamble since they've all been under $25. Blv Notte, Fujiyama, and most recently Pure Vetiver. All my recent online blind buys have worked out (Helmut Lang, HL Curion, RL Purple Label come to mind)

Worst? : Caron Pour Un Homme (yuk in a bottle)
    Carlos Santana (I thought this was supposed to be spicy?)
    Narciso Rodriguez (bought cheap on Ebay, sold it for more than I paid for it)

Best: Ungaro III (I LOVE this)
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I have bought a few scents blind, but don't really regret them. A couple I bought twice, now how stupid is that?

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    I have bought a few scents blind, but don't really regret them. A couple I bought twice, now how stupid is that?
    You know what PFC Gomer Pyle used to say... "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".

Basenotes Plus

My worst blind buy was Cool Water... I tried to like it for some time but without success. I don't blind buy much anymore if I can avoid it after that.
    I love cologne.

It would be interesting to see which perfume had traveled the farthest via Basenotes swaps. I'm thinking that if my bottle Virgilio could tell tales...

Red face Re: Blind buys you have most regretted...

i feel the pain, today i buy blind in e-bay ,Aramis Surface (many euros..................) i said that never buy blind,but i make again arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nervous wait
    Last edited by Dry_Martini; 29th July 2008 at 10:22 PM.
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Be Delicious - DKNY (not bad, but too similar to other frags)
    Cool Water (just not my thing)
    Hummer (cheap, but meant for teens)
    Yves Rocher Nature (suckered into this cheap one)

With out a doubt, it has to be Aramis Always.

Horrible dry down, lasted forever-even after a shower.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Opium EDP
    Egoiste
    Grey Flannel
    Canoe

M7 - why does anyone want to be reminded of kids nyquil is beyond me.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

issey blue
    hugo xy
    just me

Versace, "The Dreamer"
    Davidoff, "Cool Water Deep" (Not so bad, really, kind of an Eau de Cologne version of Cool Water with a twist of lemon, but it's just not really me.)
    Perry Ellis for Men (1989).

Thumbs down Re: Blind buys you have most regretted...

Stardust
    Chypre Rouge
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Live Jazz
    Grey Flannel

Arpege.....yuck
    Joop.......yuck
    Baldesarinni del Mar.....awful product
    Baldesarrini ...never again

Best blind: Joop Nightflight.....awesome

most recently & the last of my blind buys .
    Lomani Ignition .... simple vanilla and thats it
    Bob Mackie .... vege flavoured ass gass
    Bandit .... burnt smouldering carpet exstinguished with floral water
    StDupont Noir ... weak as water not even after shave strength nothingness ... the Noir must mean wear at night whilst asleep !
    Carlo Corinto Rouge ... more vege flavoured ass gass

Sorry guys but i bought TdH blind and honestly dont like it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Carlo Corinto Rouge
    This one was a bust for me, too. Lousy, cheap-smelling.

I hopefully learned my lesson with Paco Rabanne XS. Everyone says XS is so much like Himalaya. I like Himalaya but not enough to drop that much cash for it. XS starts off like Himalaya then drydowns into something much more cedar and not even comparable at that point. XS loses big time.

Halston z14

Ted Lapidus - really hard to wear here.

Vermeil White - not that it's bad, it's just too similar to Azzaro Silver Black but doesn't last as long. However, I think it's great for a smoker.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Not exactly "blind" buys, but I ordered bottles of Calandre by Paco Rabanne and a couple of Trussardi fragrances and found that the recent versions were reformulations. I threw them away.

Most of what I have I bought blind. I cant say that I regret any of them simply because some of my riskiest buys were so low priced that I really didn't care. That being said the ones that I would rate lowest are Robero Verino VV Man and Gai Mattiolo Uomo simply because they couldn't leave well enough alone and kept adding clove/anise until it was out of control. I would also say Penhaligon's Raquets Formula because my read of the notes was so far off that I was expecting something completely different.

D&G Light blue

AromiErotici

I must have "Sucker" tatooed on my forehead because EVERY ONE of my purchases have been half blind and decided on after really researching the reviews and the proclivities of certain reviewers.

Yet.......I don't regret any one of them...even "Instinct" which is simply too weak.

My favorites have been :
    Opium EDP
    Fendi
    Safari

Least favorites : ( These do absolutely nothing for me)
    Instinct
    Nautica
    Cool Water

Beyond Paradise and Safari; Beyond Paradise is just horrid, and Safari may still grow on me.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Beyond Paradise and Safari; Beyond Paradise is just horrid, and Safari may still grow on me.
    I guess it really is just Beyond Paradise.....

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I guess it really is just Beyond Paradise.....
    LMAO! I guessed it just missed its exit and wound up in Tucson.

I have really regretted Bogart Pour Homme.. Just terrible.

I've never had a disappointing blind buy as far as bottles go, but I have bought quite a few bad samples.

Dzing and Dzonkha come to mind right away, just not my thing I guess...

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Blowe46 View Post
    I have really regretted Bogart Pour Homme.. Just terrible.
    Wow. Bogart pour Homme is on my wishlist.

Can I interest you in some Beckham's Instinct?

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Wow. Bogart pour Homme is on my wishlist.

Can I interest you in some Beckham's Instinct?

haha, I'm not interested in Beckham have you tried Bogart Pour Homme?

Versace L'Homme - smells exhausted, flat
    Dali Laguna - smells like something you picked up for $1.59; not a ml of anything remotely natural in sight.
    Dali Laguna pour Femme - smells like something you picked up for $1.58; not ml of anything remotely natural in sight.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Blowe46 View Post
    haha, I'm not interested in Beckham have you tried Bogart Pour Homme?
    Haven't tried it. I figured I'll like it from the reviews and also because I'm a blind-buying maniac.

Blog Entries

I learned the "do not buy a scent blind" rule on Creeds. Two bottles of Creed. Expensive lesson, but learned early. So probably saved me money in the long run.

Corollary I would add: don't buy based just on a spritz at the department store. You want to see how the scent evolves on your skin over the day. They will not sell out. Or, if by some quirk of the universe they really only have one bottle left, it will be available somewhere else.

(That, lazy Barney's SA pushing Serge Lutens on me but too lazy to make a sample, is why I won't buy from you. Ever. Because I don't buy without being able to test on my own time.)
    Last edited by Hoos; 5th September 2008 at 06:47 PM.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

I just blind-bought Pursuit by Dunhill. I'm awaiting its arrival. I had an odd amount in my paypal account and thought, why not? Mixed reviews here, to say the least. I'll sell or swap it if I don't like.

Recently, Nickel Enemy did not work out for me. I took it back.

Boucheron Pour Homme
    Caron Yatagan
    Guerlain Habit Rouge
    Guerlain Vetiver
    TDC Rose Poivree

Cerruti 1881 - too much notes to my nose. Smells like a blend of at least three different perfumes, or to say it better - it smells like a perfume shop...

Iceberg Twice - too heavy to the point where it causes me nausea, also sweeter than I expected and so damn long lasting! I think it is for people with olfactory damage and inability to detect delicate smells, so they need the sledge-hammer approach. To be honest, I am at the point where I want to smash and kill people who use fragrances of this quality and strength in public transportation and other places where people are forced to smell them. Show comprehension, people, especially those of you who like such heavy fragrances!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    I learned the "do not buy a scent blind" rule on Creeds. Two bottles of Creed. Expensive lesson, but learned early. So probably saved me money in the long run.

Corollary I would add: don't buy based just on a spritz at the department store. You want to see how the scent evolves on your skin over the day. They will not sell out. Or, if by some quirk of the universe they really only have one bottle left, it will be available somewhere else.

(That, lazy Barney's SA pushing Serge Lutens on me but too lazy to make a sample, is why I won't buy from you. Ever. Because I don't buy without being able to test on my own time.)
    I blindly purchased Silver Mountain Water, Himalaya, and Imperial Millesime. I love all three of them . In fact, the only creeds I didn't like I sampled beforehand. : orange spice, vetiver , etc...

I am lucky because they can be expensive...

Goutal's Eau de Monsieur - smells pretty good, but doesn't last long enough.
    (Note to Self: Never again buy blind a scent with "Eau" in the name.)

Creed's Tabarome Millesime - smells okay, but I was expecting more tobacco, not Tobacco Millescule.

CSP's Sultan Safran - again smells pretty good, but it was in the Men's section and none of the reviews here said that it was unisex, but that's what it is to my nose, so it's just not masculine enough.

I think the trick to improving one's Blind Buying is to find people on the board who have similar tastes to one's own, and see what else they like that may be of interest to you.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 6th September 2008 at 03:26 AM.

Issey Miyake

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    Habit Rouge

GIT
    ah Foetidus, you no like Habit Rouge either?

I feel like I'd bashed The Beatles' reputation when I say something bad about it.

.... incidentally, I don't like The Beatles that much either! But that's just me!

Last edited by snifferdog; 6th September 2008 at 05:11 AM.

I have to agree with M7 Fresh. I actually liked the regular M7 when sampling it at Sephora a few eyars ago, but I felt it was too strong for me. Then a year later everyone started raving about the lighter brighter fresher M7 Fresh, so I figured out it's exactly tailor-made for me. Of course by then M7 was discontinued in the USA, even my local YSL boutique didn't have it, so I ordered it from Europe blind. What I got smelled of witch brew mixed with cough syrup, certainly not my idea of "fresh". I actually wore it once and got a comment that I smelled of mothballs.

Other "good reviews - bad blind purchase" rude awakenings: Paul Smith (original green bland nothingness that lasts all 5 minutes) and Boucheron PH Bleue Fraiche (which has a very weird sharp medicinal herbal kick to it).
    Last edited by maksidrom; 6th September 2008 at 05:10 AM.

Land by Lacoste.

Quite difficult to find a bottle but after much waiting I received a half-full one.I expected something along the lines of my beloved Hugo Boss Elements.Erm,not really.Too strong but stale,I can't find a chance to wear it.Total disaster...
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

I've had several, but the trophy, without a doubt, goes to.... Yatagan!

A beginner's mistake. If there were a scale reflecting the blind buy risk factor, from 1 to 10, this one would be a 10, a textbook example of throwing all caution to the wind.
    For swap/sale: Dior Leather Oud, Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

AromiErotici

I apparently spoke too soon regarding my reply yesterday. I received 3 frags today that I was waiting on and Comme des Garcons was one of them.

It was the one I had the highest hopes for.....and until today, it's the first frag I can truly say I cannot stand. It actually gave me a headache after 5 minutes.