Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Blind buys you have most regretted...

As a result of popular opinion here, I bought YSL Body Kouros and M7 Fresh.

Both have been very dissapointing.

Note to self: buying a fragrance blind is the epitome of stupidity. Don't do it again.

We have nearly all done it though haven't we?

Default Re: Blind buys you have most regretted...

Habit Rouge

GIT

Just curious...In what way exactly you did find Body Kouros disapointing? I mean, what were your expectations?

WAY too many to list! My MOST regrettable though was probably Clive Christian 1872. Blinds can be fun if you don't spent too much. But over $200 for a frag I wound up swapping for something of much less value was just plain stupid.

Issey Blue
    Claiborne Mambo
    Aramis Always
    Givency Gentlemen
    Aramis
    Ultraviolet
    Romance Silver

many more I just can't remember at the moment, the latest blind buy was Gier, and i am having my doubts as I just don't see whats so special about it, unlike the Creeds which smell amazing, Geir just smells like the average airy sweet fragrance.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

In order of most regrettable:

1. NÚroli Sauvage - Creed
    2. Silver Light - Escada
    3. One Man Show - Jacques Bogart (AWFUL!)
    4. Animale Parfums - Animale for Men

Opium pour homme.

I don't hate it, but I must say that it is the least liked in my wardrobe. I find it more cloying than Givenchy Pi. However it does have its good days (during winter, obviously.)

Lacoste Essential... no comment. >

Allure Sport, was not SO bad, but I expected something lighter, since it's "sport", but I found it even heavier than the original Allure(which I love).

M7. After all the praise this scent gets I was very disappointed.

I have never bought completly blind, however I have bought after first try. *Its almost as stupid because fragrances can be tricky at first. *There have been some fragrances which I detested on the first run only to later become the love of my life. *In the same regards I have bought a fragrance after the first try which I loved only to hate it within a week.

I now try to do a test run of at least a week.

Anyhow, I loved Bvlugari the first time but became disapointed in the first week....$90 for nothing!

I've had pretty good luck - I guess the blind buy gods have been gentle with me. That said, I do have a few that just aren't my style, or I can't find proper occasions to wear.

Iquitos: too much rose, I thought I would like it, and it is good, but not really my style and don't know when I would wear it
    Navegar: the reviews rave about it and say it's chameleonic; on me, it's always the same - cedar chest with spice packet
    Navagateur: again, due to reviews, which rave over this one; for me it's a bit too "perfumey," sort of like Eau des Iles, which is just not my style
    Xeryus: saw it at TJ Maxx and figured I'd take a shot; like a weaker waterier, less interesting version of Antaeus or Eucris; smells thin and cheap to me

Still, overall, my blind buys have been worth it: Rocabar, Vetyver Oriental, Bois d'Argent, L'Anarchiste, and L'Eau du Caporal have all been solid for me.

I am suprised that you didn't like those two. I find them very nice. I'm wearing M7 Fresh right now in fact... I guess it is not for all of us...

There are just a few decants but no bottles. Noting major at all. I'm pretty satisfied. I like to really try a fragrance before I try it now a days so there really is nothing I fully regret. I bought Xeryus Rouge blind and I don't wear it much anymore because of some really plasticy fake quality in it. I guess that would be it...

EnvYuS

My only real blind buy (which I haven't tried at all) is YSL Rive Gauche. But it seems that it is hard to find a tester of this to try in stores anyways, so I took a risk. My bottle arrived this past Wed., but I'm still at school so I'll have to wait on trying it. The anticipation is growing.....

Vetiver de Puig
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

1. Bel Ami (Hermes)
    2. Contradiction (CK)
    -

L'eau Par Kenzo, horrible s#!t I must say IMO. After reading all of those good reviews for it, I really was expecting something special. > It actually smells good in the bottle, than on my skin.

Clinique Happy, Lacoste Original, and Opium Poour Homme.

While Happy would be nice in summer days, it just doesn't last.

As refreshing as Lacoste Original is, the smell becomes nauseating.

As for Opium, there are days that I'd reach for it, but there are days that I wish I had never made the purchase.
    Current top 5:
    1) MDCI Invasion Barbare
    2) Imaginary Authors The Cobra and The Canary
    3) Guerlain Vetiver
    4) Parfums de Nicolai: New York
    5) A*Men: Pure Havane

SALES THREAD!

everything guerlain
    body kouros
    visit
    laguna
    beware the duds
    some members here would gladly sell you a skunk.

I bought "Perry Ellis" blindly because I rarely see it. Fortunately, it was on sale. I have not tried it again since I bought it a month ago. It's a bit to spicey for the spring/summer months.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

everything guerlain
    Even L'Instant? :'(
    Peace ~ Markymark

or vetiver? :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    Just curious...In what way exactly you did find Body Kouros disapointing? I mean, what were your expectations?
    I just found it to be very simple, linear (boring?) scent and it just doesn't last on me. I was completely underwhelmed by it. M7 Fresh likewise. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

In terms of expectations, the scent that you buy blind could meet 100% of those expectations so that prima facie you have bought successfully. However, if the frag does not last then IMO it does not qualify as a successful purchase. Dzing! is a case in point. You simply cannot legislate for how a fragrance will react to your skin chemistry, unless you have tested it beforehand and you cannot extract an accurate consensus from this site in respect of something as personal as a frag, without reference to a dummy run.

Oh, that' easy. Go to my wardrobe, click on *" owned " and you'll *find 57 frags. * :-[

With the exception of the 4-5 star frags: *Cristobal, *Art of Shaving Sandalwood, Cacharel, *212h20, Quasar, John Varvatos, Joseph Abdoud, Miracle Homme, Versace L'Homme, Francesco Smalto and OR Black *that leaves 47 disappointments.

Is Eau Savage the worst because it's a great scent (on others) but smells like I spilled basil tea on me? * Or are Quorum and Bandit worse because they truly suck and yet, *to add insult to injury, * enjoy a fanatical following here?

Or Givenchy Gentleman, *Mont Blanc Individuel or Duc the Vervins because I really liked them at first but *then grew very, very weary?

I don't know. *But I am sure that the cumulative effect of the 2-3 star mediocrities and the one star stinkeroos *have been both an aesthetic and financial drag.

THE biggest?

Too wounded to say :'(

(sniffle) *

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 27th June 2006 at 06:06 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I have bought a few fragrances blind, although usually after doing my homework on Basenotes.

The only two I have not grown to love are Cristobal and Allure. I thhink the problem is the sandalwood in the drydown.

I thoroughly enjoy buying blind! I havn't bought very many yet, but have not been dissappointed by any of those I have bought. Even if it is not love at first sniff, the fact that I have built up high expectaitions on the scent - and paid a lot of money - makes me try much harder to see the qualities of the scent, much harder than when I am smelling something in a shop.

Of course, decants could be a better, more economical way, but then I won't get the bottle... Gah!

Bandit EdP. Not at all the leather I thought it would be. I'm thinking of either swapping for the EdT or just simply buy it, but since I don't really appreciate the EdP I can't really see how different the EdT would be. Different, but still in the same vein?

CdG Shiso. I don't really mind this buy that much, but I don't think I will ever use it. The reason I still don't regret the purchase that much considering I'm not planning on using it is simple. CdG is my favorite perfume house and I could really see myself collecting their entire line.

Not that I dislike them as much as I prefer to wear others

Marc Jacobs
    Polo Black
    Jazz

I'm hoping that once some times passes, and I go back to these I'll have a new appreciation for them.

None for me yet, but my fragrance fund is woefully low right now :'( I guess I can include near blind buys, eh?

I bought Burberry Brit and loved it, though only tested it only once. I still love the scent but I've found it makes me feel sick if my body tempature rises at all. Probably worse near buy would have been True Star for men. Yes, I admit it, I almost bought because it's just an easy, unobtrusive scent.

*ducks the tar and feather mob*
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

I've probably made 20 to 30 blind buys and I don't regret one of them. I was out to try things out, and online purchases come very cheap as a rule.

There were several that I turned out to dislike, but I easily used them in trades thanks to the swap board here and I had the sincere satisfaction that at least I now knew for myself how good/bad I thought certain scents were.

I discovered that I didn't like LV's Piper Nigrum by a blind purchase, but the greatest stinker came when I bought Jacomo's Paradox PH blind. Luca Turin has raved about Jacomo's Paradox, both the men's and women's versions, and I had to figure out what he meant.

Mr. Turin and I don't share tastes regarding Paradox.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Bowling Green
    I bought it based on the positive reviews, but .. It didnt' settle well on my skin, there was some spicy note in it that was very annoying, once I went to sleep, it still poked me right in the nose, and I woke up twice, and finally went, washed it off. I then returned it the next day.

Ungaro III,

Lot of raving about this one on this board so I could not resist buying blind. Huge dissapointment since I found it to be a dated typical 90's "yuppie" fragrance - too much sandalwood. The 90s is to "close" - can not even wear this one as an ironic retro statement.

l'anarchiste, god is this stuff ever awful

Tommy T

Givenchy Pour Homme

Both are synthetic-smelling beyond belief.

Quote Originally Posted by verve
    Tommy T

Givenchy Pour Homme

Both are synthetic-smelling beyond belief.
    Two of my favorites!

I have bought several blind, but Escada Sentiment and M7 stand out the most. I bought Sentiment in a gift set, and I like the aftershave and shower gel, but the edt is too sweet in all seasons. It smells too fruity and soapy for me, and I like fruity and soapy!

I guess M7 is just a bit too much for me. I don't like the YSL house notes that remind me of others I didn't like (Jazz, Kouros, & Sport), and the wood is just too raw and heavy. It would be great if the wood could be tempered by something, but it just runs loose on my skin and drives my allergies wild. Combine that with great expectation, and I have myself a big regret.

Drakkar Noir

Instant headache. As a matter of fact, I'll trade the 100mL EdT, 100mL aftershave balm and 2.5 oz deodorant set for 50mL of something interesting (make me an offer).

No great remorse on these. They were worn, determined not to personal preference and swapped or given away:

YSL M7 - couldnt take a liking to the medicine note.
    CDG Sequoia - had reviews of smelling like a forest woodsy smell, no such luck on wearing it. Ive lived for years in various forests.
    Guerlain Vetiver - Had a soapy note that was... hard to explain but I didnt take to it. *

Probably Boss Soul by Hugo Boss & Boss Motion by Hugo Boss :-[
    MikeD on Chaz by Revlon: "I knew a lady who took one sniff and said "bug spray." I never told the guy what she said, but the termites disappeared, oddly enough."

best blind buy: CDG sequoia
    worst blind buy: without doubt Tea for Two.

I'm still contemplating my YSL Rive Gauche blind buy. It is a good smell and I like it, but it is definetly different from the other scents I own. All the other fragrances seem to have something refreshing or citrusy about it; Rive Gauche seems very, very spicy. I'm debating on whether I should have bought XS instead. I'll probably get it soon, maybe after a few weeks/months.

Lagerfeld Classic (initially I thought It was ok, now I think its notes clash strangely and It's too cloying)
    Quorum... Oh my god, nowadays I think It's a spicy bomb, I smell a dirty rotten flower mixed with the spices and pine.

I can't recall many, except for the following:

Xeryus Rouge - the original Xeryus was the first fragrance I ever purchased and very much loved at the time. I thought getting the new version of this would make sense - big mistake! Smelt very early '90s and synthetic. I ended up selling it for a small loss.

Romeo Gigli Man - I expected great things from this fragrance, only to discover that it's basically a watered down version of L'eau D'Issey (with the peppery notes dominating the citrus ones instead). Longevity was disappointing as well. I'm now using it as a work fragrance (I only use my favourite frags for social occasions/going out). Still, I got it at a reasonable price so I can't really complain about this one.

Trebor

Herrera for Men
    Boss Bottled
    Zihr

all bought on sale on the same day. learned my lesson!

Quote Originally Posted by dragonbreath
    Ungaro III,

Lot of raving about this one on this board so I could not resist buying blind. Huge dissapointment since I found it to be a dated typical 90's "yuppie" fragrance - too much sandalwood. The 90s is to "close" - can not even wear this one as an ironic retro statement.
    Yeah, I bought it blind too (100ml tester for $20) and was very underwhelmed. Not that it's unwearable but given the reviews here on bnotes, I expected much more. Very dry and uninspiring.

But my worst blind buy was Mont Blanc Presence Cool. I love the original Presence but this juice reeks of rotten apples. Avoid at all costs. My bothers & father said no when I offered it to them.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Worst blind buys are:
    Chopard's Casran
    Gucci's Envy for Men
    Kor's Michael for Men
    Picasso's Minataure (not really blind...the scent strip smelled great....the bottle not so much)
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

Actually not a blind BUY but a blind SWAP....

Hands down, Habit Rouge, or as I affectionately refer to it, Nausea Bottled. BLECH! I know a lot of people love this...but I find it to be the most sickly sweet, cloying concoction ever. *Rancid baby oil! Yuck!

And now, after that glowing review...I have a full bottle up for swap! hehe

Truly though, my days of blind buying are over....one look at my swap list should give you a clear idea of how expensive that can be.

GraySwan *:'(

Pre-Basenotes:

~ Azzaro Chrome

Post-Basenotes:

~ Iceberg Fluid Man :P
    ~ Bulgari Pour Homme
    ~ Chanel Platinum ╔go´ste

Incanto PH is one. I loved the sample but the bottle turned out to be different. Those inscense/pepper notes were weak and the overall scent didn't last too long.

Diptyque Virgilio.. too herbaceous for me. :-/

Tie between Salvador Dali pH & Caron puH
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Costume National - Scent Intense
    Santa Maria Novella - Nostalgia
    Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme
    Herrera for Men
    Demeter Dirt.....gone in fifteen seconds
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

The entire universe is based upon your ability to conclude the new idea which is the summoning forth of the new life into the new space.

I read the title wrong, and thought it said "Blind guys you have most regretted..." and I had to blink at the screen a couple of times.

Default Is Gucci envy overpowering and classy or plain?

I smelt Gucci Envy when I tested it and it smelt woody.My question is how long does gucci last and is it overpowering.I enjoy overpowering fragrances as it shows that you are in control.Can you help me with that?I would really appreciate your help.

I guess I kind of regret buying RL Romance. It wasn't a blind buy per se, but I bought it with only testing it briefly from a scent strip. Don't get me wrong, I think the scent is decent and I don't mind it, but paying full retail price, I probably could have got something better with my money. I probably could have gotten a scent that I love or think highly of instead of a mediocre, decent scent.

Default Re: Is Gucci envy overpowering and classy or plain

Quote Originally Posted by moreyete
    I smelt Gucci Envy when I tested it and it smelt woody.My question is how long does gucci last and is it overpowering.I enjoy overpowering fragrances as it shows that you are in control.Can you help me with that?I would really appreciate your help.
    hey moreyete, welcome to basenotes! It'll probably be best to make this question into a new thread. I got some responses to your question, but I'll wait for the new thread.

Floris Elite-GROSS!
    Marc Jacobs-Still undecided. But it seems to synthetic

Vetiver Guerlain,Gucci Nobile,Abercrombie and Fitch Woods are my bad buys thus far...On the upside,I sold every one for more than I paid.

BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT! BANDIT!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

My worst blind buy was the new version of Joop. I think its called Spring Fever or something. It has a palm tree on the box. It was a watered down, pathetic version of the original Joop. I threw it away the same day i got it.....i won it off ebay.
    Awesomeguy

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rose
    As a result of popular opinion here, I bought YSL Body Kouros and M7 Fresh.

Both have been very dissapointing.

Note to self: buying a fragrance blind is the epitome of stupidity. Don't do it again.

We have nearly all done it though haven't we?
    Body Kouros smells horrible
    M7 Fresh on the other hand is a scent that grows on you, give it some time, really I felt the same the first time I tested it. But it keeps me coming back, really a nice, well balanced and interesting scent.

Santos De Caritier - smelled very synthetic to me.
    Drakkar Noir for the same reason.