Code of Conduct

Thread: D&G Masculine

Default D&G Masculine

I went to Perfumania today. *I was looking for Versus, but they didn't have it. *I was in the mood for something really lemony for the summer though.

I picked up a big bottle of D&G Masculine. *I had seen the reviews and I knew that most people think it's kind of blah and boring... but I really like it. *It IS very simple. *Kind of like YSL pour homme with the lemon and herbs but more young and modern. *I pick up kind of a barbershop vibe under the lemon and also a honeysuckle note.

This scent reminds me a bit of "lemon pledge" scents like Eau D'Orange Vert, except its not as green smelling. I picked up a bit of fig in the drydown. *Also the drydown seems to take a long time to kick into anything but lemon. *I must say I do like the barbershop accord- something like a hint of Canoe. *This scent also reminds me a bit of Comme des Garçons Cologne Series 4: Citrico. *

I can see where people would be underwhelmed by Masculine, but I was looking for an herbal/lemon scent for hot summer days. *I like the bottle alot. *I'll have to see how long lasting this scent is in the heat. *It seems like it could be short lived, but the reviews say it lasts. *It could be more complex and I would be happy, but it fills a hole in my drobe. *I'm picking up more peppermint as time goes on.

Default Re: D&G Masculine

I love masculine...very sophisticated scent. Great, Great summer scent. I find it evolves quite beautifully in the heat.
    I was also quite surprised at all the bad press it received.
    I find Versus a horrible scent......read great reviews, my mom bought it for me last year on my birthday and I promptly returned it.
    Great , Great choice!!!

I don't understand the bad reviews either. Read my story if you have a minute:

Back during my freshman year of college ('03-'04) I had a bottle of D&G Masculine that I would wear every other day. I always got a ton of compliments from the ladies when I wore it, but one occasion in particular stands out in my mind. I was on a service trip to Boston for spring break, and the leader of the trip (who was a woman) got a whiff of it on my neck one morning and nearly had an orgasm. I swear she went on and on for 5 minutes about how great it smelled, and she did this weird full body quake after she smelled it and started giggling like a little school girl. We were in the middle of a group meeting at the time, and all of the girls in the group huddled around me for a minute to smell my cologne. Haha.

Moral of the story, the stuff is awesome. Best part is, you can score a 3.4 oz bottle for under 25 bones.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman

Moral of the story, the stuff is awesome. Best part is, you can score a 3.4 oz bottle for under 25 bones.
    unfortunatly its an exceptionally tacky bottle. Right up there with Hummer and Paris Hilton in the "decant immediately"column.

I love the thyme/basil accord in the drydown! I have always wanted to get this but thought it my be a bit too "lemony". Fortunately for me, I discovered Terre D'Hermes! I love the peppery fruit accord and actually drys down kinda green like as in Polo.

D&G masculine sucks!

D&G Masculine is a great fragrance, that is very underrated. Pleasant take on classical lemony chypre. Sweet, fresh, clean and healthy. I love the bottle too.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectscent
    D&G masculine sucks!

So you think so huh?

Well, just now I looked through your drobe and I was gonna publicly slaughter one of your sacred cows as revenge for you trying to take the wind outta me sails...but I saw you gave Rive Gauche 5 stars. It warmed my heart. You can do no wrong with me, PerfectScent!

Still, I think D&G masculine is really good, and kind of a sleeper.

Anyway, nice stories guys...especially Roman's! Sounds like a real "bitten at work" experience, so you can bet I can't wait to wear it on the job.

Joel, you really think the bottle is tacky? aw, man I think it's great! Are you sure you're not talking about D&G BY Man (the one in the zebra bottle)? That one is tacky for sure, but in the best possible way.

The drydown for Masculine is nice. I took a nap, and woke up to find it still present, but with a very faint aniselike note like that of Aquaman, but without all the aquatics. I think what I like about Masculine is that it is fresh and clean, but has no marine notes to speak of. The more I smell it, the more bizzarre it is in its very subtle ways.

Again, this easily has the most lemon of anything I own. It gives me a real "school's out for the summer" feel. I'm thinking of wearing it Friday night on my date. It seems impossible to overdo.

love D&G Masculine, I keep getting this Pritt Stick glue smell from it which I really like. I especially like it's sophisticated figgy smell perfect for summer if you want citrus but not lemon attack. It actually get's a bit smoky for a citrus type scent. Like it for summer ,office and being with friends.Masculine and clean and even sexy, this is a must have for me. have to get a new one my bottle is down to it's very last drop.

I've been mystified for years by the bad reviews given to D&G Masculine by knowledgeable Basenoters. Invariably in citrus discussions they say it is too simple, too lemony, not anywhere near as complex as Citrus scents V,W, X,Y and Z - each of which is vastly superior to the pathetic D&G Masculine.

Only one problem, invariably Citrus scents V,W, X,Y and Z only usually last 2 or 3 hours, despite their marvellous complexity. D&G Masculine always lasts the full 8 hours I require a scent to last. To my mind it is infinitely superior to those other complex wastes of money.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I've been mystified for years by the bad reviews given to D&G Masculine by knowledgeable Basenoters. Invariably in citrus discussions they say it is too simple, too lemony, not anywhere near as complex as Citrus scents V,W, X,Y and Z - each of which is vastly superior to the pathetic D&G Masculine.

Only one problem, invariably Citrus scents V,W, X,Y and Z only usually last 2 or 3 hours, despite their marvellous complexity. D&G Masculine always lasts the full 8 hours I require a scent to last. To my mind it is infinitely superior to those other complex wastes of money.
    Renato
    It is definately long lasting which in one sign of quality. The fact that it does not transpose a thousand levels complexity doesn't define a fragrance as bad. Like I said, I love the drydown but it takes so long to get through the lemon in which I am not a huge fan of lemon in a scent. A little is ok but I don't like it when it is overboard. I will sample this again soon.

I like it. I never had particularly high expectations because I got it so cheap, but was pleasantly surprised. Yes the citrus top note is strong, but it soon gives way to the softer fruit/herbal combination of the mid notes. Haven't worn it for ages, so will have to dig it out soon.

Here´s my review from the directory, I´m sticking by it :

"Have to disagree with my two highly respected colleagues Ipaid and Scenteur. It is indeed a simple citrus, but hardly bland. Quite contrary, it is very recognizeable on it's wearers due to a strong mint and herbal midsection which also makes it much more manly than many others in this genre. A summer staple, especially considering it's low price. "

This is really an instantly recognizeable fragrance on others which must mean it has some originality. Overall a great, pleasant herbal citrus with very good staying power. It´s cheap here as well.

MMM

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    [quote author=perfectscent link=1145386860/0#5 date=1145397386]D&G masculine sucks!

So you think so huh? *

Well, just now I looked through your drobe and I was gonna publicly slaughter one of your sacred cows as revenge for you trying to take the wind outta me sails...but I saw you gave Rive Gauche 5 stars. *It warmed my heart. *You can do no wrong with me, PerfectScent!

.[/quote]

He, he, *
    No man, my comment was too harsh, sorry, I gave it a shot once and it seems I oversprayed, while I love citruses it smelled great (thought of making it a summer staple) but than it turned into something like Ck One gone bad, but I'll give it an another shot maybe I judged it too quickly....cuz you said so ;D

Hey I've heard it has LEMON and MINT in it... so how does it compare to Live Jazz, which has LEMON and MINT as well. Is it similar? Is is longer lasting than LJ?
    Thank you!

IMO it has better staying power than Live Jazz, LJ I can't smell after about 1/2 hour on me, but others claim they do :-/, while I could still smell D&G an hour or so after, give it a try... they're kinda similar but D&G smells a little more synthetic, I think

IMO it has better staying power than Live Jazz, LJ I can't smell after about 1/2 hour on me, but others claim they do :-/, while I could still smell D&G an hour or so after, give it a try... they're kinda similar but D&G smells a little more synthetic, I think
    Oh thank you very much. So is it worth a try for me? I LOVE Live Jazz, it's my FAVORITE scent. The only problem I have with it is its longevity. If you are telling me that D&G Masculine is similar to LJ and has more longevity, then I am thinking of buying one blind. :

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    unfortunatly its an exceptionally tacky bottle. Right up there with Hummer and Paris Hilton in the "decant immediately"column.
    I have to disagree with you here. The bottle is minimalist in a way that you wouldnt expect D&G to be. Masculine was never a favourite of mine, but I give it a wearing from time to time.

Arte et labore

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Joel, you really think the bottle is tacky? *aw, man I think it's great! *Are you sure you're not talking about D&G BY Man (the one in the zebra bottle)? *That one is tacky for sure, but in the best possible way.
    You, sir, are correct. My mistake.
    though, upon looking at the real bottle in question, isnt it pretty much the same as ck escape?

IMO it has better staying power than Live Jazz, LJ I can't smell after about 1/2 hour on me, but others claim they do *:-/, while I could still smell D&G an hour or so after, give it a try... they're kinda similar but D&G smells a little more synthetic, I think
    Pretty weird skin you have there. They both easily last the whole working day on me.
    I like D&G more than Live Jazz.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=perfectscent link=1145386860/15#15 date=1145452162]IMO it has better staying power than Live Jazz, LJ I can't smell after about 1/2 hour on me, but others claim they do :-/, while I could still smell D&G an hour or so after, give it a try... they're kinda similar but D&G smells a little more synthetic, I think
    Pretty weird skin you have there. They both easily last the whole working day on me.
    Renato[/quote]

C'mon Renato, if Live Jazz could last long I am in HEAVEN now!
    I lent Live Jazz to a collegue of mine because he didn't have his cologne with him(yeah, we bring our colognes to work, I know we are crazy ;D), and after 2 hours he came back to me and literaly bathed himself in it(under my worried eye, for my poor bottle) because he said he could no longer smell it! :

Quote Originally Posted by Musician
    [quote author=Renato link=1145386860/15#19 date=1145455392][quote author=perfectscent link=1145386860/15#15 date=1145452162]IMO it has better staying power than Live Jazz, LJ I can't smell after about 1/2 hour on me, but others claim they do *:-/, while I could still smell D&G an hour or so after, give it a try... they're kinda similar but D&G smells a little more synthetic, I think
    Renato[/quote]

I lent Live Jazz to a collegue of mine because he didn't have his cologne with him(yeah, we bring our colognes to work, I know we are crazy ;D), and after 2 hours he came back to me and literaly bathed himself in it(under my worried eye, for my poor bottle) because he said he could no longer smell it! *:

[/quote]

the question is, could YOU smell it?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    [quote author=Roman link=1145386860/0#2 date=1145390190]

unfortunatly its an exceptionally tacky bottle. Right up there with Hummer and Paris Hilton in the "decant immediately"column.[/quote]

"Decant Immediately"

LOL ;D

I lent Live Jazz to a collegue of mine because he didn't have his cologne with him(yeah, we bring our colognes to work, I know we are crazy ;D), and after 2 hours he came back to me and literaly bathed himself in it(under my worried eye, for my poor bottle) because he said he could no longer smell it! *:
    Seriously, I have my list of useless scents that last two or three hours on me - Eau Sauvage, YSL Homme, Versace Metal Jeans, Benetton Cold, Kenzo Jungle, L'Eau Par Kenzo.
    Live Jazz lasts a hell of a lot longer than them.
    Have you tried any of them? I'd love to get a calibration process going - they shouldn't last more than 30 minutes on you if extrapolation from me to you is any guide.
    Renato

When I first smelt D&G Masculine it reminded me of Versace Green Jeans. If you're looking for something along the lines of Masculine but more Green, then I'd go with Green Jeans.

Hey Indie, I head your interested in Versus, its been on my "to own" list for a extremely long time, but I've gone around buying a bottle yet. I think it's probably my favorite Versace scent. It like a dark twist on any lemon pledge scent. I actually get this lemon pledge thing coming off of Versus but it comes off in this really dark musky way. Kind of like taking Black Jeans and mixing it with D&G Masculine. I think you'd enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi
    When I first smelt D&G Masculine it reminded me of Versace Green Jeans. If you're looking for something along the lines of Masculine but more Green, then I'd go with Green Jeans.

Hey Indie, I head your interested in Versus, its been on my "to own" list for a extremely long time, but I've gone around buying a bottle yet. I think it's probably my favorite Versace scent. It like a dark twist on any lemon pledge scent. I actually get this lemon pledge thing coming off of Versus but it comes off in this really dark musky way. Kind of like taking Black Jeans and mixing it with D&G Masculine. I think you'd enjoy it.
    That sounds like it would be my dream scent. I'll have to order a bottle from Perfumania.

I don't know WHAT it is about D&G Masculine that I love so much, but I'm just hooked on it. See, I'm not sure about the longevity. It DOES last a long time, but I don't find it to be very loud. And after eight hours, I can still smell it- it smells great, yet it almost smells like a totally different scent. Live Jazz is much more linear than Masculine.

I think what I like about Masculine is it's put together in a very naive, uncalculating way. Very youthful and outgoing. Very much like sitting under the stars one night in your early 20's in the summer, after a swim, talking philosophy. Maybe one of your friends is smoking a cigarette a few feet away. Very leisurely.

I'm beginning to think this fragrance was designed with such a dynamic drydown for a reason. Think about it. You spray it on, go to a club meet a girl- it's all fresh, clean, confident, attractive. Later after hours have passed and it's makeout time... the scent has morphed into an edible vanilla and manly vetiver combo of a skin scent, and one thing leads to another.

It starts off flirty and ends up dirty.

again.....D&G was an instant hit with me.......a great summer gem.....nice pair of jeans.....tapered white shirt..
    half-open ...cool neclace....bare feet.....when the scent hits the sun...air.....yeah!!! oh yeah...drink in hand....
    and someone putting witchcraft on you from afar.....

Hey I've heard it has LEMON and MINT in it... so how does it compare to Live Jazz, which has LEMON and MINT as well. * Is it similar? Is is longer lasting than LJ?
    Thank you! *
    Just got this through a blind swap. I'm lovin' it big time.
    to me, Live Jazz is more mint than lemon, closer to the architecture of an "aquatic". D&G maculine is the opposite, more "lemon" than "mint" and most certainly a classic citrus. Very god though... a full iew will follw once ive worn it a day or two.