Code of Conduct

Default Yes, Another Question About Summer Frags!

Hi all,

With summer on its way, I just wanted to pick your brains about a possible third summer fragrance that would be worth getting. I already have L'eau D'Issey and am in the process of obtaining Geir (thanks to Vijay). So, based on this, what do you think my next summer fragrance should be?

Longevity is a very important issue here (most summer frags I've read about seriously lack this), but I'm also looking for something which is very different from the other two (but, at the same time, complimentary). Possibly a greener scent? Anyway, I leave that for you all to decide!

Cheers.

Trebor

Default Re: Yes, Another Question About Summer Frags!

Gendarme V or Gendarme Green come to mind.
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

Givenchy Blue Label
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

Guerlain Vetiver--or one of the other great vetivers. Radically different from the two types you have. Also maybe pop for the inexpensive Halston Unbound--a very good aquatic which is desirable under many circumstances.

Okay, these all ring a bell...

Givenchy Blue Label - something in my head says 'no, no...' and the reviews aren't great (shouts 'I'm generic!'). Hate the design of the bottle as well.

Guerlain Vetiver - a possible candidate, but the debate about the change in 'formula' leaves me with doubts. Also, I'm not too sure if the scent will be the right one for me.

Gendarme V - sounds like the best one at the moment. However, the Gendarme Green bottle is really off-putting though. I can imagine someone attempting to drink it by mistake!

Trebor

Quote Originally Posted by Words
    Givenchy Blue Label
    I'll second that! I'm thinking Dunhill Fresh, too.

YSL Live Jazz
    Claiborne Sport

neither are expensive, one is "dirt cheap" you could get both :P

Givenchy Blue Label - something in my head says 'no, no...' and the reviews aren't great (shouts 'I'm generic!'). Hate the design of the bottle as well.

If you like L'eau D'Issey, you shouldnt have any problems with Blue Label (other than your dislike for the bottle). *Both are Spicy-Aquatics, Blue Label has a Woodier base. *No more generic than your average Summer-Aquatic fragrance.

If your searching the reviews for Summer-Aquatic frags on basenotes, you wont find too many positive things being said... not exactly an Aquatic-friendly board. *:P

Yeah, Live Jazz was one that I briefly considered some time ago. Thanks for reminding me!

I've just been researching Gendarme V and it's classed as an EDC! Will longevity be a problem here?

I'm really looking for something that's not your typical masculine frag. The two mentioned are currently the ones that most interest me at the moment (well, from what I've seen/read so far)...

Trebor

For a Green scent, try Yang by Jacques Fath.

Farenheit would be ok for you I think. GIT also has green qualities to it. They both have pretty average longevity.

Something unique and fun with great longevity would be Live Jazz.

^^ those are my suggestions^^

EnvYuS

Hey, guys!

Words - Is Yang still available? Can't seem to find it for sale at the moment. Would you class this as a summer frag?

Envyus - nice to hear from you again! There's something about Farenheit that I never took a liking to (and, I *suppose, never will) - it's too musky for me. Musky frags just remind me of all those s**ty colognes I received as a teenager during Christmas. Maybe that's why I'm so adverse to 'masculine' frags now...

Trebor

What about Gucci Nobile, Bvlgari Aqva and Polo Black?

You've got an aquatic/ozonal and a fresh floral, you need a citrus or a vetiver:

Guerlain Vetiver

FM Vetiver Extraordinaire - expensive and different, "cold" like steel

Armani Eau PH - a much underrated fragrance IMO, I know Armani has gone very commercial, but this is a classic

Essenza di Zegna Intense - a bit more modern than the other suggestions

Dior Eau Sauvage

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    Hey, guys!

Words - Is Yang still available? Can't seem to find it for sale at the moment. Would you class this as a summer frag?

Envyus - nice to hear from you again! There's something about Farenheit that I never took a liking to (and, I *suppose, never will) - it's too musky for me. Musky frags just remind me of all those s**ty colognes I received as a teenager during Christmas. Maybe that's why I'm so adverse to 'masculine' frags now...

Trebor
    Trebor - That is probably why you did not like Quimbaya, that reminds a lot of people about Fahrenheit. Anyway I am sending you a sample of Vita by Creative Universe, with your package. I think you will like it. In case I did not give you the notes on that, here they are:

Rare teas, plum, blackcurrant, lily of the valley, citrus
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

I would probably classify Yang as an all-around type scent. *It's as great in the Summer months as it is at any other time of the Year. *I just dont classify it as purely a Summer scent. The reason I mentioned Yang, is because IMO it's the best Green scent that I've come across.

Here's the cheapest deal I could find...
    http://www.1stperfume.com/yangmetsp17.html?bizrate

L'Eau de L'Artisan - citrus, cut grass. Wonderful. Long-lasting on me (not the citrus, of course).
    “They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson” - Jim Rockford

Interesting suggestions - thank you!

Ged - thanks for those suggestions, however I can't find any reviews about a couple of them (namely FM Vetiver Extraordinaire and Armani Eau PH). I'd personally give Dior Eau Sauvage a miss, but Essenza di Zegna Intense sounds interesting. Also, thanks for classifying the summer frags I already have - this is something I'm currently not very good at. Yes, a citrus/vetiver frag is what I am definitely looking for!

How would Live Jazz and Gendarme V be classified?

Trebor

Here are the review links :

Armani PH

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120129.html

Fred Malle VE

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122266.html

Citrus: Armani PH, Essenza di Zegna, Eau Sauvage
    Vetiver: Guerlain, Frederic Malle

Live Jazz - fresh citrus woody
    Gendarme - fresh clean

Ged

Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I would add M7 Fresh and L'Eau par Kenzo!

Many thanks Ged, for clarifying things for me.

Well, after reading about all these frags, I've narrowed it down to the following. Taking into account what I already have (or soon will have!), I'd appreciate further input as to which one would be more suitable for me:

Live Jazz
    Frederic Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire (sounds very expensive, but am willing to consider)
    Armani Eau PH (my least favourite out of the four, if the reviews are anything to go by)
    Essenza di Zegna Intense (may be difficult to obtain, but open to advice on how to acquire it)

Any other recommendations are more than welcome!

Cheers.

Trebor

UPDATE!!!

Forget about Live Jazz - I just tried it at a local store and it's definitely not for me. The scent consists of strong peppery/spicy notes that I found quite irritating. Such a shame!

Next!

Trebor

Not many classic citrus suggestions yet; I'll add GFT by Trumper's! Another worth considering is Eau des Merveilles by Hermes; both are VERY long lasting on me, the freshness of GFT never goes away, incredible citrus! I think of it as longer lasting and more masculine version of Eau d'Hadrien.

Tell me about it Johnny!

As much as I appreciate all your views, I'm still having trouble settling on a couple to investigate. The citrus frags lack sufficient longevity and the vetiver frags are unknown territory for me (the ones left on my shortlist are all of this type). Would a vetiver frag actually appeal to me? My local store doesn't stock them, so I'll have to wait until I next visit a department store to really know for sure.

Trebor

Trebor, you should e-mail Trumper's (you'll find the information from www.trumpers.com). They'll send free samples, you could tell them in what fragrances you are interested in so you'll get those for sure, they sent me some eight or nine samples; and they did it fast!

If you appreciate classic citrus scents, but find the longevity to be the problem, you really can't go wrong with GFT! The drydown is quite comfortable and even soft, but it never loses the fresh bite!

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the tip-off. I just sent an e-mail requesting 6 samples. To be honest, GFT is the main one that interests me but I'm curious about some of the others!

Are you a fan of any vetiver frags? I love aquatic and floral scents, but have the feeling a citrus scent is the next logical addition to my collection. Would I be wrong with this assumption?

Many thanks.

Trebor

I hope you're not planning on buying blind, as you should be able to try all of these easily available frags except the Frederic Malle.

Don't worry about the reviews of the Armani, try it for yourself (along with Guerlain Vetiver) - both would be available at any shopping centre.

the Zegna Intense is pretty easily available - the one I bought had a leather strip on the top and bottom, the one this year (same juice) has blue pinstripe suit material. There's also a regular Esenza with a silver cap, and a summer version with a bluish aqua cap. All should be at a basic department store.

FM VE you will not find anywhere unless you live in New York or London. FM will sometimes send samples like Trumpers.

Ged

I would add M7 Fresh and L'Eau par Kenzo!

Both very good recommendations if you're looking for a Citrus Summertime cologne. M7 Fresh is more of a Green-Citrus and LPK is more of a Floral-Citrus.

Hi all,

Ged - Don't worry - I'll be taking my time on this one. Hopefully, this will be the last fragrance I'll buy for a while, so making a blind purchase is the last thing I want to do. I'm currently researching the Frederick Malle website, and now know where to obtain one of his fragrances should I decide to go for one of his. Thanks for the advice, though.

Words - thanks for your suggestions. I'll investigate those too!

Trebor

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    Yes, a citrus/vetiver frag is what I am definitely looking for!

If so, than give Original Vetiver by Creed a try, you can't miss with this one it is a perfect citrus with a rich vetiver accord, fresh, clean with a kick