Code of Conduct

Default I went fragrance shopping at the mall today...

...and I ended up picking up Anteaus, New West, and Jack Black Signature Black Mark. Anteaus and New West smell very mascualine to me in a classic way, and the Jack Black just smells plain awesome. My nose was tired from sampling so many scents so I'll be able to better judge them tomrrow after a test wearing.

I originally went to the mall to sample Terre de Hermes and Dior Homme after hearing so many good things about them.

The Hermes was vey nice, it with decent longetivety. It was an earthy, fresh smell , and I did detect a nice vetiver note, overall very pleasent smelling and it would make a great summer scent.

The Dior homme smelled odd at first, with no hint of sweetness, almost reminded me of olives. As it started to dry, it reminded me of emporio armani (which is a good thing, because i like emporio) It was very classy and subtle, not too sweet.

I sampled many scents while I was there. Egoiste smells EXACTLY like Trumpers Sandalwood. Pretty good, but I'm not sure if it suits Florida heat. Rochas man is a carbon copy of New Haarlem, or is it vice versa. I think there made by the same perfumer, but wow they are identicle.

The store I picked up the New West and Jack Black had a few more bottles of New West, a couple bottles of JHL and a few of Devin. Are any of these worth stocking up on? There were no testers so It would have to be a blind buy.

As of now I'm on the fence as for what to buy next. It seems to be a toss up between Geir, Gendarme, Dior Homme and Terre de Hermes. Any suggestions?

P.S. oh yeah, they also had aramis 900, but no tester

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: I went fragrance shopping at the mall today...

It's fun to go cologne-crazy sometimes isn't it?

It does get hard to pick out the nuances though when so many 'fumes are experienced in close succession. I'm intrigued by some of your comparisons though. One problem with these aggressive smell-a-thons is that they are top note heavy and you can miss very glaring differences that take time to develop. If you wear Egoiste on one side and Sandalwood on the other, or New Haarlem and Rochas Man, for a whole day, I am sure you would reconsider. Actually those combinations don't sound half bad! Although I have been as bad at making impulse buys as anyone, I urge you to give a longer tryout to fragrances, rather than buying on recommendation.

bump, are any of the aramises (Devin, JHL, New West, Aramis 900) Worth stocking up on?

RT, smell them first and read their reviews on the site and in the forum. JHL in particular is highly priased here, and there was recent commentary on 900 that made me want to find it and check it out. New West my nose has never gotten though, and Devin is a high grade herbal that I've also always passed by.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    RT, smell them first and read their reviews on the site and in the forum. JHL in particular is highly priased here, and there was recent commentary on 900 that made me want to find it and check it out. New West my nose has never gotten though, and Devin is a high grade herbal that I've also always passed by.
    --Chris
    Theres no testers of Devin, Aramis and JHL, thats why i needed input. They all have received great reveiws here and on perfumeemporium, i might just buy up the remaining stock blind

Cool. I'd say, were it my money and my nose to please, JHL is the best bet of those three. There might be some department store or something near you where you could smell Aramis (at least it used to be on lots of shelves), but I think it is one better tried before purchase. Some people can't stand Aramis but I'm a proud owner.
    Very best of luck!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Overcome By Fumes

Go to the Estee Lauder section if there is one. Ask to smell Aliage and Cinnabar. These are remarkably similar to Devin and J-H-L respectively. I had no attraction to 900 myself. I still think my favorite Aramis may be Tuscany.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    Go to the Estee Lauder section if there is one. *Ask to smell Aliage and Cinnabar. *These are remarkably similar to Devin and J-H-L respectively. *I had no attraction to 900 myself. *I still think my favorite Aramis may be Tuscany.
    And Clinique Aromatics Elixir (part of the same company as Aramis/EL) is virtually identical to Aramis 900. I've tested these wrist to wrist and they are for all intents and purposes the same scent.

I've never smelled Devin, but Aliage reminded a lot of original Aramis.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP