Code of Conduct

Default I'm back and forth today on Dior homme

It is because of Dior Homme that I found basenotes. I was reading an article describing Dior Homme as smelling like leather and cognac. So a month and a half ago, I did a search and found basenotes and have now since been addicted to the site. But since then I purchased a decant and also bought a bottle blindly and today is the first time I'm using it. At first spray I noticed a strong resemblance to Hanae Mori which I previously owned and didn't care for too much (I know it's pretty popular on this site). The best my memory can do is detect a slight cocoa note and just a wee bit tad a leather to distinguish it from HM. I guess I wanted a little more leather in this, because now I'm back and forth about how much I like this one.

Default Re: I'm back and forth today on Dior homme

question, maybe im misunderstanding.... if you bought a decant, and then a bottle, how was the bottle a blind buy?

Wait for the drydown. Sweetened leather to the max! One of my fav frags.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    question, maybe im misunderstanding.... if you bought a decant, and then a bottle, how was the bottle a blind buy?
    It was a mix up, I've was and am buying a lot of decants since I found the site and kind of forgot about the decant, and I found a good price.

I just recieved my Dior Homme decant in todays mail from the kindly Joel_Cairo! :::waiving at Joel::: I've been long anticipating this one...so immediately upon tearing the package open I sprayed it on my wrist...Liked the top notes a lot slightly sweet, fruity & flowery(did I detect bergamot?) but once that calms down...Mmmmm....three hours later the smooth powdery drydown is just heavenly....hints of cocoa mixed with leather & amber. This is a subtle yet intoxicating fragrance... warm & comforting. I can't stop sniffing my wrist. *I love this one...a full bottle is definatly in my future.

GraySwan

Its funny thats what happened to me when I first tried Dior Homme. I can't decided if I like it or not. I got a sample at Dior's counter so I didn't spent a cent on it, and fortunately I didn't. I think its a unisex fragrance, women can wear it - better than men. Smell your wife/girlfriend's cosmetic pouch and you have smell Dior's Homme. Although, once in a while I like to spray the sample just to sniff it. Its not a bad scent, just that its missing something. It could be more complex and masculine, but anyway thats my opinion if you love it - wear it!

I wore it yesterday. My enthusiasm lessened as the day wore on. It's very good, but the comparison to Hanae Mori is a valid one. Maybe it's too warm out for this now. It's formal, chocolately and powdery sweet.

I'm wearing Kenneth Cole Reaction today and I'm much happier.

I smell a woody warmth that is unusually 'soapy' to me. I don't know why but I smell a very specific kind of soap in there. I think it is leathery and sweet. I love it to be honest. It is an amazing all around oriental type fragrance. It is one of my favorites and suprisingly it is new to me.

I have worn it almost a weeks worth in the last 2 weeks and I can't get enough. I am going to run out soon if I keep wearing it so often. I have traded out Envy for it in my rotation. There is just so much that I love about it. I'm not getting tired of it at all.

EnvYuS

I tried it at the mall a couple of months ago, my girlfriends told me that it smelled like an old man. They said the same thing about L'Instant de Guerlain.
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    I smell a woody warmth that is unusually 'soapy' to me. I don't know why but I smell a very specific kind of soap in there. I think it is leathery and sweet. I love it to be honest. It is an amazing all around oriental type fragrance. It is one of my favorites and suprisingly it is new to me.

I have worn it almost a weeks worth in the last 2 weeks and I can't get enough. I am going to run out soon if I keep wearing it so often. I have traded out Envy for it in my rotation. There is just so much that I love about it. I'm not getting tired of it at all.

EnvYuS
    I agree. When I smell it, I cannot get enough either! Awesome stuff!

makes me a bit queasy in the summer though, as with most foody-noted orientals.

No offense to those who love Dior Homme, but this on the list of the fragrances that I CAN NEVER WEAR. this list only contains M7 and Dior Homme - by the way I found some notes shared between them, I don't know what exactly because I am not expert at identifying notes of frags.
    Dior Homme is a powdery, sweat and somewhat medicinal in a way that I cannot describe.

There's something about Dior Homme. I think many people have expressed a "do I love it or hate it?" perplexity about this fragrance. I know I certainly have.

The first time I smelt it I immdeiately dismissed it as too sweet and feminine (months ago in the midst of Australian summer, in a phase of austere frags). But with ongoing press here, I continued to sample it each time at the shops. Now I'm am obsessed with trying it everytime I go shopping, I'm drawn to it inexorably, and I think I'm growing to really like it.

Yes it's powdery, even a bit like make up, and a bit sweet, and not normally what I'd like, but it is very well integrated and settles to smell so smooth.

Yes I think I'm a fan.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by Ged
    There's something about Dior Homme. I think many people have expressed a "do I love it or hate it?" perplexity about this fragrance. I know I certainly have.

The first time I smelt it I immdeiately dismissed it as too sweet and feminine (months ago in the midst of Australian summer, in a phase of austere frags). But with ongoing press here, I continued to sample it each time at the shops. Now I'm am obsessed with trying it everytime I go shopping, I'm drawn to it inexorably, and I think I'm growing to really like it.

Yes it's powdery, even a bit like make up, and a bit sweet, and not normally what I'd like, but it is very well integrated and settles to smell so smooth.

Yes I think I'm a fan.

Ged
    Good for you Ged, I feel the same way as well! I think Dior homme is an intellectual scent along with farenheit and I am even drawn back into cool water. Wearing all the niche and being faithful to it has left me missing all the good classics as well as the hidden gems and Dior Homme is a hidden gem and happens to be the only gourmand that I love. That smooth powdery tone with a hint of cocoa has exonerated any doubt.

I agree, i seem to smell it everytime and, on concept and bottle smelling, it works but on me, it sadly doesn't. Too sweet, too much iris, too much of something i am not friends with it. But i totally respect it, on an intellectual level that is...and as i said, i like to smell it out of the bottle, but that doesn't seem to be enough for me.

It's certainly well-behaved, pleasant, and classy but not stuffy, if a little sweet. And the bottle is very chic. I don't think I'd call it a hidden gem though. I saw it everywhere on a trip I recently took, including a big section in the duty free shop and on the airplane itself! They were actually selling it in a catalogue on the plane, and walking by with carts that had it for sale. (BTW, it was one of only a few fragrances sold in this catalogue.) Seems to be very popular here as well. All of these latter observations are reasons that I'll probably not buy a bottle for a while. Maybe someday though, after the buzz has died down.

It's bloody fantastic. Infinitely better than something like Hanae Mori. Hanae Mori isn't something I'd even consider wearing. *Dior Homme is phenomenal and just gets better with time. I was perplexed and undecided about it for a few days also. It's a strange and cerebral scent. Cold and distant yet with dynamic presence. The highest of quality.
    It's not getting what you want -- it's wanting what you've got.

I once hated this. I have a sample of it. I'm slowly starting to change my mind, but I'm not sure if it will ever change enough for me to buy it. The key to me starting to like it, as with many fragrances, is a very light application. The iris runs rampant and ruins the scent for me if I apply too much. Seems like many frags have a note that will do that if you aren't careful. This scent is quite heavy and sweet, but harder for me to wear than something like A*Men, perhaps because the latter has some dark and dirty qualities which balance out the sweetness. Mark, I feel ya on this one as far as being undecided. I have quite a bit left in my sample though and I plan to wear it out, at least around the house to give it a fair chance. Right now my prediction is that I'll end up liking it quite a bit but won't see it as something I'd want to own or wear out.