Code of Conduct

Default Failed a final because of Kingdom....

I recently purchased a couple 100ml bottles of Alexander McQueen Kingdom EDP off of eBay for like $4 each. They just arrived today and as I was running out the door to get to class I decided to give myself a spray on the back of my left hand so I could check it out. I was in such a rush that I completely forgot about it.... until the final was passed out and I go to write my name on the test (I'm left-handed), and this vaguely pleasant smell hits me. I'm thinking "right, the Kingdom", and go in for a deeper whiff. Bad move. I don't know if it was just the mixture of spice and sweetness or the slight hint of cumin that was still detectable, but it was so horrible that I literally had to run out of the classroom, head to the bathroom, and scrub my hand until it hurt.

You'd think the story would end here, but alas it does not. I don't know if my nose just suddenly became sensitive to the scent of Kingdom, or if it is the strongest EDP of all time, but I could still smell it for the entire 3 hour exam. Try writing for 3 hours straight while attempting to keep your arm as far away from your face as possible. Its quite difficult and moderately distracting. I must have looked like an idiot ;D.

Though I'll probably try Kingdom again someday, if I failed that test I may never forgive it....

Default Re: Failed a final because of Kingdom....

Love the story and the image of you writing with your hand as far away from your nose as possible, bro! Man, I sure hate it when a fragrance really screws up a test like that. Well I guess we all get our bad trips every now and then.

Didn't the stuff get better in the dry down? It always does on me.
    Great story!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Overcome By Fumes

Life experiences are more important than school exams. A shame one had to overwhelm the other.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    Life experiences are more important than school exams.

And where did you graduate from? Diesel Driving Academy??

Dude! Sorry about the test but please give Kingdom another chance! It starts off really strong with the floral notes mixed with sweaty cumin and spicey ginger. Within an hour or so, it calms down to a great vanilla and incense and mostly sandlewood scent. I love the top notes but it took a while. Like I said, after a while it calms down and stays close to the skin. Not much sillage after about an hour or so. I am hoping that when I get my stuff (I got a bottle of the lotion on Ebay...same auction as yours) that it will project a little more. To me, it's not strong enough! I do live in Mexico in lots of heat so maybe I am sweating it off...who knows. I LOVE IT.

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyandco
    [quote author=docluv45 link=1146798568/0#2 date=1146799005]Life experiences are more important than school exams.

And where did you graduate from? Diesel Driving Academy??[/quote]

LOL! If you only knew... ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas
    [quote author=tiffanyandco link=1146798568/0#3 date=1146799825][quote author=docluv45 link=1146798568/0#2 date=1146799005]Life experiences are more important than school exams.

And where did you graduate from? Diesel Driving Academy??[/quote]

LOL! If you only knew... ;D ;D[/quote]

Hmmm...Harvard's Diesel Driving Academy w/Ph.D. in Life Experiences, concentration in Fragrances?

hehe, that's why you don't use something unfamiliar during an exam!

However, I think I'm going to use Rive Gauche for my exams tomorrow. I got a double header. It's either going to be Rive Gauche or Dior Homme, still don't know yet.

Overcome By Fumes

Cut class tomorrow and I'll give you a ride in my truck

Even wear Imperial Millesime if that's what it takes...

Just kidding, but I stand by my statement.

I didn't mind the DDA comment, but HARVARD!!!??? That really hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by Domer04
    You'd think the story would end here, but alas it does not. *I don't know if my nose just suddenly became sensitive to the scent of Kingdom, or if it is the strongest EDP of all time, but I could still smell it for the entire 3 hour exam. *Try writing for 3 hours straight while attempting to keep your arm as far away from your face as possible. *Its quite difficult and moderately distracting. *I must have looked like an idiot *;D. *

Though I'll probably try Kingdom again someday, if I failed that test I may never forgive it....
    Hahaha!

classic

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    hehe, that's why you don't use something unfamiliar during an exam!

However, I think I'm going to use Rive Gauche for my exams tomorrow. I got a double header. It's either going to be Rive Gauche or Dior Homme, still don't know yet.
    I have an exam tomorrow too! Why aren't we all studying?? What subjects? Tomorrow is my last one for this semester. We're not allowed to schedule classes that have exams on the same day as one another--we are only allowed to take one final per day during the finals session. But the finals are four hours long, so this makes sense.

Cut class tomorrow and I'll give you a ride in my truck

Even wear Imperial Millesime if that's what it takes...

Just kidding, but I stand by my statement.

I didn't mind the DDA comment, but HARVARD!!!??? That really hurt!
    hahahha! hmmmm... I would guess Rhodes but you are in Knoxville, not Memphis. Of course, you could've moved after school. You don't sound pompous enough to have gone to Rhodes, though. So you really DID go to DDA, I guess!

You are probably one of the best-smelling truck drivers around. Do you drive one of those kinds that is a big tank of liquid...and it is filled with a frag??

haha, I think I'm burned out. It's so hard to study, I keep getting distracted or falling asleep! I have six finals I have to take care of for the next week, all of them psychology courses. I just changed majors/schools within my university and am behind, so I'm trying to knock this major out in 2 semesters lol. For finals, we can't do anything for 2 on the same day (3 hours each), but if we have 3 we can move one. During mid-terms though, I had 4 in a 24 hour period. It was a pain! I stayed awake for close to 50 hours with a lot of coffee.

I'm not looking forward to the exams tomorrow though, I wasted so much time meh.

:-? It would have taken cat sh_t in my lap to distract me away from my exam to that extent. Failing an exam is humiliating, and doing well, so uplifing - both are learning experiences. Rimbaud believed it was best to make as many mistakes as possible when young. I hope you ready up for the next exams and not let anything get in your way.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

The entire universe is based upon your ability to conclude the new idea which is the summoning forth of the new life into the new space.

Man, this site has really gone to shit. Seems like every person who knew anything about perfume has left the building, and I can see why.

That's good advice. Who's Rimbaud? :-?

haha, I think I'm burned out. It's so hard to study, I keep getting distracted or falling asleep! I have six finals I have to take care of for the next week, all of them psychology courses. I just changed majors/schools within my university and am behind, so I'm trying to knock this major out in 2 semesters lol. For finals, we can't do anything for 2 on the same day (3 hours each), but if we have 3 we can move one. During mid-terms though, I had 4 in a 24 hour period. It was a pain! I stayed awake for close to 50 hours with a lot of coffee.

I'm not looking forward to the exams tomorrow though, I wasted so much time meh.
    Well it looks as if you've done some studying! When I was in undergrad, I did very little. I have no clear recollection of ever actually studying for midterms or finals. Or even going to class.

Postgrad studies BLOW. At my school, there are no midterms or other assignments. You go to class all semester and then you have a four-hour long final (depending on the course and teacher--some of my teachers are jerks and only allow us 3.5 hours or 3 hours, which is very unfair) about EVERYTHING you've learned. Sometimes there are only two questions. And you just type and type for four hours straight knowing you could never complete the exam properly even if given 12 hours. Ugh.

Overcome By Fumes

Yes, of course, rhodes. I've been driving my truck on rhodes since the day I got it. There's no such school as Rhodes is there? You must be pulling my leg.

I do stand by my statement though. I've taken as many school exams as practically anyone, but I am not close to mastering life experiences.

[quote author=ChrisW link=1146798568/0#12 date=1146802593]haha, I think I'm burned out. It's so hard to study, I keep getting distracted or falling asleep! I have six finals I have to take care of for the next week, all of them psychology courses. I just changed majors/schools within my university and am behind, so I'm trying to knock this major out in 2 semesters lol. For finals, we can't do anything for 2 on the same day (3 hours each), but if we have 3 we can move one. During mid-terms though, I had 4 in a 24 hour period. It was a pain! I stayed awake for close to 50 hours with a lot of coffee.

Well it looks as if you've done some studying! When I was in undergrad, I did very little. I have no clear recollection of ever actually studying for midterms or finals. Or even going to class.

Postgrad studies BLOW. At my school, there are no midterms or other assignments. You go to class all semester and then you have a four-hour long final (depending on the course and teacher--some of my teachers are jerks and only allow us 3.5 hours or 3 hours, which is very unfair) about EVERYTHING you've learned. Sometimes there are only two questions. And you just type and type for four hours straight knowing you could never complete the exam properly even if given 12 hours. Ugh.
    [/quote]

I'm with you, tiffany... As it was a grad school course this test was worth over 50% of my grade, and though I'm sure I did relatively well on the exam, blaming Kingdom for failing it seemed like more fun than saying "It was annoying but I did good anyways."

[quote author=ChrisW link=1146798568/0#12 date=1146802593]haha, I think I'm burned out. It's so hard to study, I keep getting distracted or falling asleep! I have six finals I have to take care of for the next week, all of them psychology courses. I just changed majors/schools within my university and am behind, so I'm trying to knock this major out in 2 semesters lol. For finals, we can't do anything for 2 on the same day (3 hours each), but if we have 3 we can move one. During mid-terms though, I had 4 in a 24 hour period. It was a pain! I stayed awake for close to 50 hours with a lot of coffee.

[/quote]

yikes, I hate having everything rely on one exam. I actually went to every single class of mine this semester! I'd like to think it was partially do to Basenotes and the SOTD! I like thinking about what SOTD to use, and if I am already putting so much thought into what fragrance to wear, and what clothes to wear for that day, why not go to my classes since I'm looking and smelling good! Basenotes set me on the right track. ;D

Yes, of course, rhodes. I've been driving my truck on rhodes since the day I got it. There's no such school as Rhodes is there? You must be pulling my leg.

I do stand by my statement though. I've taken as many school exams as practically anyone, but I am not close to mastering life experiences.
    I totally agree with you docluv, school is no substitute for experience...

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    :-? It would have taken cat sh_t in my lap to distract me away from my exam to that extent. Failing an exam is humiliating, and doing well, so uplifing - both are learning experiences. Rimbaud believed it was best to make as many mistakes as possible when young. I hope you ready up for the next exams and not let anything get in your way.
    Well put, pluran. I agree wholeheartedly. I had a VERY big obstacle/distraction to overcome in the exam I took Monday, but I didn't let it get in my way because I would have done poorly if I let it bother me.

And my Wednesday exam? Good lord did I have a distraction! I had to pee like the dickens for nearly 2 hours of the 3.5-hour test, but I was scrambling for time because I got stuck on one question for too long, so I did not let myself get up to go use the restroom. I thought my bladder was going to burst by the end of the test. But I just told myself, "You need the time on the test more than you need to pee. Put it out of your head." And I did. The minute I hit "Send" on my test, I became fully aware of the seriousness of my situation and ran out of the classroom, leaving all my things behind.

Rhodes College in Memphis, silly!

Arthur Rimbaud. He was a symbolist poet. A Season in Hell is his most famous work. Do a google and read more about him. Very interesting to say the least.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

The entire universe is based upon your ability to conclude the new idea which is the summoning forth of the new life into the new space.

Man, this site has really gone to shit. Seems like every person who knew anything about perfume has left the building, and I can see why.

Basenotes set me on the right track. ;D
    Not me. Even though we aren't allowed to miss more than a certain number of classes (you fail if you miss more than 9 a semester. Some classes only allow 7, some only allow 5), even when I was in class, I was looking at Basenotes on my laptop. Not fun to hear your professor saying "So Ms. Tiffanyandco, do you think the police conduct in this case could be found facially invalid under Miranda?" while you are in the middle of reading about a new perfume!

HAHAHA!!!!!

You guys crack me up!!

Docluv45 is, in fact, an MD.

And the life eperience part, well.....anyone who strode upon the stage of the Underground Lounge in Chicago during his formative years playing bass in a punk/hard rock band so he could have a fun break from his studies........that qualifies as cool in my book!!

Life needs variety......I think that's the underlying theme here.

Quote Originally Posted by Domer04
    I'm with you, tiffany... As it was a grad school course this test was worth over 50% of my grade, and though I'm sure I did relatively well on the exam, blaming Kingdom for failing it seemed like more fun than saying "It was annoying but I did good anyways."
    I hear ya. I play the blame game too. I also like to blame things in advance just in case I perform poorly on the exam. Last semester, I blamed my friend who sat next to me in all of my exams. He fidgeted the whole time (moving about, scratching/adjusting his crotch, sighing loudly, stretching, etc.) and typed so loudly on his computer it echoed. I told him it was going to be his fault if I failed out. Then I swore to him that he was not allowed to ever sit next to me again in class (he talks all throughout class) or during finals. He was my Kingdom last semester. I was able to tune him out (I get pretty focused--see my pee story) but I still liked having a scapegoat, just in case.

btw, if you hate Kingdom so much, send me one of your bottles.

Overcome By Fumes

Damn, I've been outed!

Isn't a 4Runner classified as a truck?

Quote Originally Posted by duxoop772
    Docluv45 is, in fact, an MD.
    hahahaha--love it!

Docluv45, I could've used you today--I had the WORST doctor ever at the school infirmary. She didn't touch me AT ALL. I ask, how in the f are you supposed to diagnose a patient's malady if you do not EXAMINE them?? She did not diagnose, btw. I called my doctor friend who lives in another state, and even though he can't properly diagnose me over the phone, he gave me a better idea of what is going on than that horrible "doctor" did! Other than donning a white coat, she failed to exhibit any other doctorly qualities. Maybe she was an imposter.

Arthur Rimbaud. He was a symbolist poet. A Season in Hell is his most famous work. Do a google and read more about him. Very interesting to say the least.
    alrighty. thanks pluran.

[quote author=duxoop772 link=1146798568/15#24 date=1146804053]Docluv45 is, in fact, an MD.
    hahahaha--love it!

Docluv45, I could've used you today--I had the WORST doctor ever at the school infirmary. She didn't touch me AT ALL. I ask, how in the f are you supposed to diagnose a patient's malady if you do not EXAMINE them?? She did not diagnose, btw. I called my doctor friend who lives in another state, and even though he can't properly diagnose me over the phone, he gave me a better idea of what is going on than that horrible "doctor" did! Other than donning a white coat, she failed to exhibit any other doctorly qualities. Maybe she was an imposter.
    [/quote]

Maybe she was the student intern haha

[quote author=pluran link=1146798568/15#22 date=1146803753]Arthur Rimbaud. He was a symbolist poet. A Season in Hell is his most famous work. Do a google and read more about him. Very interesting to say the least.
    alrighty. thanks pluran.[/quote]

Wait until your exams are over though. Stay focused and don't let up and that. Prepare and conquer them.
    - Michel Foucault

Maybe she was the student intern haha
    I wish that were true, for her sake. Sadly, no, she was a bona fide MD.

[quote author=ChrisW link=1146798568/15#28 date=1146804726][quote author=pluran link=1146798568/15#22 date=1146803753]Arthur Rimbaud. He was a symbolist poet. A Season in Hell is his most famous work. Do a google and read more about him. Very interesting to say the least.
    alrighty. thanks pluran.[/quote]

Wait until your exams are over though. Stay focused and don't let up and that. Prepare and conquer them.[/quote]

thanks again pluran, the advice keeps getting better haha. "Prepare and conquer them" - sounds like the speech Brad Pitt made in Troy when they were storming the shore