Code of Conduct

Default John Varvatos. What could u tell me ??

hi guys, last night i saw "john Varvatos" fragance , but they didnt have testers to smell it.... what could u tell me about it ??? this fragance seems to be awesome if i trust in reviews and opinions... so, i hope your help could make think a decision if i buy it or not...

i feel that ill love it,. but, i want opinions before heehe

thanX a lot..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: John Varvatos. What could u tell me ??

I really don't think you should buy anything blind. Don't settle for that route. Shop around, I'm sure you can find a tester. Otherwise, I think it's an ok fragrance. The opening is like most leathers (to me), loud and annoying. Everything smoothes out in the drydown though and it becomes a soft, sweet, but not in any way feminine leather. The drydown is good but to me nothing special. Then again I'm not a big leather fan so if you are that might totally change things. Definately find a way to smell it though and decide for yourself. You might even consider buying a decant, because it's pretty hard to go through full bottles anyways. Good luck.

thanks man, really this is a hard to find fragance here... is strange, i found others that i saw them harder to buy ,. but not this one.,

anyway.. thanx for ur words

Buy it. It's great.

I'm not too impressed with it. I don't know what your wardrobe is like though.
    The notes are listed as follows:
    Tamarind tree leaves, sage flower, mediterranean herbs, auramber, vanilla and black leather essence.
    The opening is pretty fruity with a tart/sour note (which reminds me of tamarind itself, don't know what the leaves are supposed to be like), a little spice and then very quickly gets to the mellow base of soft leather and vanilla. IMO this is NOT a big leather scent in the vein of Yatagan, Devin, etc.
    Pretty mellow and not much sillage to speak of. I can easily put it in the run-of-the-mill spicy woody category.

Personally, the first time I smell something, I either have to fall in love or at least find someting to want to work on. You start to recognize what works for you pretty quickly--and I usually tend to trust the classics (I'm not even into niches yet). I like distictive scents and this just wasn't it.
    RM

Post Thanks / Like

You know when it first it came out, this board was going crazy over it, which almost compelled me to buy it. Then the frenzy died and so did the peer pressure (Comon Chris, give it a whiff...) I really don't see anything unique about it, but it's a decent scent. I have to check it out again to confirm this however, I haven't smelled it in months. Love the bottle though!

Post Thanks / Like

Just average IMHO. I actually find it quite synthetic, a bit similar to Armani Black Code. A medium spicy juice with some faint leather, would never buy it for full price. The bottle looks great though.

MMM

I think it smells like GLAD trash bags.
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Love it! Very original ,fruity,spicy topnotes. I only wish they lasted a bit longer. Dries down into an average , "Black codish" scent, I agree.
    Still in my 10 ten though.

Average to mediocre. Thought it was cool the first time I tried it. Bought it when it was released and it's still new.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet in highly synthetic way, the single attribute in a scent I dislike more than anything. Not my cup of tea.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree on not buying blind ever.
    Agree its hard to guagae, omniray, as you haev no 'drobe and only two reviews.

But I think Varvatos is pretty ok, I am not as enamored as I once was (when I was compelled to hunt, fruitlessly, for it on the swapboards). It opens sharp and kinda jagged, almost piney or vetiverish, and then dries through a fruity leather stage (more fruity then leather here). I have finally been able to smell the vanilla in the basenote, and I have to say, I don't like that very much. I wish it were drier, less "goopy"-smelling. I am very much looking forward to Varvatos Vintage, which cedric reports will be released in august, because with bottle-design this smashing, I really just need the barest excuse to add it to my wardrobe. I don't really have that excuse with JV though.

thanks a lot guys, sure your opinions will help me to decide.... obviously the best i can do is test it, but i cant.. so,. if i buy it i ll tell something about it.

thanX a lot

Quote Originally Posted by omniray
    thanks a lot guys, sure your opinions will help me to decide.... obviously the best i can do is test it, but i cant.. so,. if i buy it i ll tell something about it.

thanX a lot
    Can't you just ask them for a tester? I've had SA's open new boxes just to let me test a fragrance.