Code of Conduct

Default Angeliques Sous La Pluie - Frederic Malle *

The Light Malle. *The Un-Cola. * *

I recieved ASP and Bigarade Concentree from Malle after filling out their online questionaire. *I asked for a fragrance that I could wear at work that would be subtle, yet project intelligence and confidence. *Both of these are light frags, but BC has recived a bit of press here, so I'll focus on ASP. *

Jean-Claude Ellena's goal was to capture the essence of the angelica flower after a spring rainstorm, and he did a great job. *As the reviewers here have noted, it is a subtle scent, and when I applied it the first time I agreed with Paul G, that the smell was gone after about 10m, unless you pressed your nose to your wrist. *That first application was at night, and just before I wen to bed though. *I tried it a second time Friday. One spray to the wrist, then off to work. *Like before it was there, then went away, but about an hour later came back. *Not with a vengence, mind you; this is ASP were talking about. *But it did come back stronger than it was when I first applied it. *I could smell it for hours in all its subtle, pink-peppery, cedery glory. *

Maybe it was my daytime activity and body chemistry that brought it out. I may have drifted off to sleep too quicky after applciation #1 to notice the mid- and basenote performance. *But for those that appreciate a subtle daytime/office fragrance it did a good job. *I can't say "great" until I try it solo. *My primary SOTD Friday was Creed Vetiver (1948); I applied the ASP as an afterthought because I assumed it would evaporate quickly. *So I've got to go solo with ASP for a complete evaluation. *

But give it a try guys and gals, if you can find it! *

There is no Nose....

Default Re: Angeliques Sous La Pluie - Frederic Malle *

Thanks for sharing that OlfaOmega. I had the wondeful opportunity to smell this little treasure. I will agree, it does not last long but it is a wonderful, wonderful scent. I may go to Barney's ( here in B.H. ) and give it another chance.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Quote Originally Posted by Aubrgene
    Thanks for sharing that OlfaOmega. *I had the wondeful opportunity to smell this little treasure. *I will agree, it does not last long but it is a wonderful, wonderful scent. *I may go to Barney's ( here in B.H. ) and give it another chance.
    No problem! Have you had a chance to try it again? I wore it today solo and am very happy with it. I can still pick up the basenotes this afternoon.

There is no Nose....

No OlfaOmega-- I have not had the chance yet. I will though. My SotD is Frederic Malle's Noir Epices. Now talk about a fragrance that LASTS! I know they are very different.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

ASLP is indeed excellent and unique summer scent. I noticed same thing, the first minutes it smells really sharp, like gin tonic, and like you mentioned, it just seems to dissappear only to come back later. I'm not crazy about the initial burst, but the drydown is light and pretty. People have been asking suggestions for non-citrus summer scent. Here is one worth trying!

ASLP always reminded me of gin and tonic! Very unique scent.

Another good non-citrus summer fragrance might be Eau de Merveilles.

It smells very similar to L'Artisan's Navegar ... to my nose. I found both to be extremely weak with no sillage or longevity at all.

This one's not for me.

I love ASP! I has that mineral, wet limestone and saopy smell that I cannot get enough of! Great stuff and my favorits in the FM line!

Basenotes Institution

Allright, so today I finally got to try some Frederic Malle samples (thanks Michael!) and the 1st one I tried was ASLP.

The initial angelica note I detected, reminded me ever so slightly of Un Jardin sue le Nil (by Hermes and coincidentally by JC Ellena, the person behind ASLP). Then it kind of faded on me.

Now, about an hour later, I'm getting ever so slightly whiffs of the fragrance. Yes I get the cedar but its really light. Not anything like other green/cedar scents (Green, green, green and green or Un Jardine de Mediteranee) - almost like wind blowing past a cedar tree. I'm inside an airconditioned office, perhaps if I was outside sweating it might kick this up a notch?

Very nice scent for a spring day. But is it bottle worthy? Not sure yet...
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 8th May 2007 at 02:13 PM.

Its nice .. until you realise that it smells very similar to the 50 other perfumes Ellena has created since he got into the mineral-minimalist perfume creation mode. Add in shockingly poor longevity and this is one Malle full of compromises.
    -

Default Re: Angeliques Sous La Pluie - Frederic Malle

You know zz you have become the master of the two sentence put down. It's a real skill, and you do it well. Can't say, at least for me, it makes for interesting reading though, and I have to say that when you practice your put-down magic, I never find myself in agreement with the assumptions or characterizations behind the put down. Maybe it's a temperamental difference; I don't know, but I'll take all the other posts in this thread over your hasty, ungenerous characterizations any day.

It's not so much that one expects everyone to like everything Ellena does, but I don't really see the point of put downs like this. Jean Claude-Ellena is considered the nose's nose. His is one of the few living perfumers who has an intimate encyclopedic knowledge of natural ingredients--you know the stuff your beloved Creed uses all the time. He was instrumental in pioneering and developing an essential oil for use in Bigarade Concentree. In fact, just the other day I was reading a scientific book on Vetiver, from a botanist's point of view, and who did they ask to supply them with information about its use in modern perfumery, none other than Jean Claude Ellena.

If your characterization of Ellena's "compromises" is accurate, then his doing something wrong must be working for him. He's designed more fragrances for Frederic Malle than any other nose. He was recently chosen as a the exclusive nose for a major house, Hermes, and has had large success and general acclaim for all his recent and past fragrances. He has served in an official capacity in various institutional positions to do with perfumers organization in France. Even one of his first fragrances in his early twenties, First by Van Cleef & Arpels, is consider by perfumers as a masterpiece of the grand style. Just to show that he can do other things than the mineral minimalist aesthetic. He was the first to introduce the green tea note to fragrances and has made a fortune with his "minimalist compromises" for Bvlgari. Before you sound the death knell for Ellena, I would ask you to remember another ungenerous hasty account of Ellena and Terre d'Hermes, which if it wasn't so shrill would've been quite comical and entertaining.

I also find in your two sentence put down, that there is an unexamined assumption that all fragrances have to have the sillage and tenacity of Joop to be valid. I've been over this before, and I will just say here that Ellena creates many of his fragrances as initimate fragrances, you know, the kind that are activated at close quarters and with the rise in body heat. That's why even fragrances such as Bigarade Concentree and Angeliques Sous La Pluie can surprise one when they come back after having been dormant for hours. Sweat, body temperature, ambient conditions all play a role and Ellena's minimalist creations are some of the most exquisite and sexiest skin scents available. That's his aesthetic; he's made a living out of it--a really good one I suspect-- and, as I noted before has had great success and wide acclaim. He seems to be doing okay with this aesthetic. It might not be yours, but seriously, I could never take such a dismissive tone over a great perfumer. I just find it arrogant. Again, perhaps it's a personal, temperamental thing. You certainly have a right to say it, and I hope you will agree that I certainly have a right to take issue with it.

I have most of Jean Claude Ellena's fragrances and have tried all of them. They are a universe unto themselves. If I meet the guy, I would shake his hand in gratitude and admiration, and I would tell him that like the transient beautiful things of this world, I admire his creations even more because of their fleeting joy. Angeliques Sous La Pluie is pure, yes fleeting, joy.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 8th May 2007 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Allright, so today I finally got to try some Frederic Malle samples (thanks Michael!) and the 1st one I tried was ASLP.
    You're welcome. I recently tested and bought a bottle of ASLP while visiting Barney's in NYC. I love the angelica and juniper opening but find it fleeting. The cedar and musk in the drydown work very well with my chemistry. From top note to base, I like it and it fits perfectly with my warm weather wardrobe.

One major drawback of ALSP is longevity. It only lasts a 4-5 hours before I find it practically undetectable on me. Hopefully, wearing this in the summer when my skin is not so dry will improve longevity. Then again, I can always reapply. Low longevity is an aspect of this fragrance I am willing to accept. It's that good.
    Last edited by Sloan; 8th May 2007 at 09:44 PM.

Scentemental, if you read all the comments before mine you will see that I am not the only one who has just "put down two sentences". Just like my skill, your skill is to always track down my comments maybe because you feel the need to defend your favorite perfumes/perfumers against criticism which is ok and makes for interesting reading

I always dont have the time to post a page from my book here. Yea I have read all about Ellena and his magic (at other perfume blogs) - no ones saying Ellena isn't talented, but I also do find many of his fragrances quite similar and this ones no exception. If we all agree on everything, this board will become like Perfume of Life or MUA

Instead of judging other members and their style of comments/grammar/etc. , I will say what I think about fragrances and perfumers because thats what this board is about.
    -

I've been thoroughly underwhelmed by Frederic Malle offerings, including ASLP. It smells distant, leaving you wanting more but never satisfying in the end.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I love Ellena. I love ASLP, just wish it were stronger. If they had a Concentree, it would be a first purchase from the wonderful house of Malle for me. I would love to meet Jean-Claude. Maybe we could be his raving fans? You and me scentemental. (Or maybe mental fans (scenteMENTAL) hehe.)
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.