Code of Conduct

Default Who is at the age of 20-25??

Hi!!

I think its great to hear opinions of a special frag. But I think it depends on how old you are and how old the person is, who gives you the advice.

Imagine: A 45 year old guy suggests that Gucci Rush is great for evening wear... Ok, thats his opinion, but when you are 21 for example I think this frag is not approriate for you.... what do you think??

Ok, I am 23 years old....and my question to guys of my age

What do you think which frag is good for:

day wear: wearing at work
    evening : dinner
    evening : clubbing
    evening : having a date with a girl

I have ordered a bottle of "Versace Black Jeans" and I think there is too much musk in it...... It smells good yes! But I think its not ideal for my age....

Have a nice day and a nice evening too

Default Re: Who is at the age of 20-25??

I just turned 24 yesterday and yes I know Happy Birthday I'll save all of you the time. *Here are some of the most worn in my drobe:

Creed Millesime Imperial
    L'Artisan Voleur de Roses
    L'Artisan Tea for Two
    Chanel Allure
    Armani Black Code
    Burberry Brit
    Gendarme
    Mugler Cologne
    Dolce & Gabbana PH

As for Black Jeans I wear it every once in awhile, I find it to be a more "dirty" fragrance with an earthier feel, dries down very nicely and last quite awhile as well, in the end let your nose be the judge of all things...Gio

32 here. But I'd suggest:

Day wear: YSL M7 Fresh, Creed Millesime Imperial, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Bulgari Aqua, Essenza di Zegna, Truefitt & Hill 1805, Cool Water, Kouros Cologne Sport
    Dinner: Baldessarini, Creed Himalaya, Guerlain L'Instant, Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Clubbing: D&G pour homme, D&G By men, Le Male, Rive Gauche (yes, even at your age! 2 sprays on your chest ONLY! - changes with your body heat nad works like magic...), Paloma Picasso Minotaure
    Date: Allure homme, Baldessarini, YSL Body Kouros, Creed Silver Mountain Water, Creed Green Irish Tweed

beside what was already suggested:
    day: Lacoste Essential, l'eau par Kenzo, XS, Miracle
    dinner: Emporio Armani He, Platinum Egoïste
    clubbing: B*men
    date: Allure sport, Dior homme

and I'm 26
    Top 5: Obsession | Eau sauvage | Antaeus | Bel Ami | Platinum Égoïste
    my wardrobe

I am 24, from my Wardrobe I would wear:

day wear: Vetiver (maybe Frederic Malle Vetiver extraordinaire)
    Dinner : Daim Blond
    Clubbing : Gucci Pour Homme
    Date : Tumulte Pour Homme
    Arte et labore

I think the average 23-year-old would be advised to take the advice of a 45-year-old willing to give it *more* rather than less seriously than the advice of his peers, and not just about fragrance. In any event, I don't buy this idea of "age appropriateness" and am hard pressed to conclude that anyone who responded so far subscribes to the idea either. For what it's worth, at 23 I was wearing Agua Lavanda with some occasional classic citrus, but doubt I would have shied away from anything I wear now 15 years later.
    “They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson” - Jim Rockford

Quote Originally Posted by Tuner_Watson
    I think the average 23-year-old would be advised to take the advice of a 45-year-old willing to give it *more* rather than less seriously than the advice of his peers, and not just about fragrance. *In any event, I don't buy this idea of "age appropriateness" and am hard pressed to conclude that anyone who responded so far subscribes to the idea either. *For what it's worth, at 23 I was wearing Agua Lavanda with some occasional classic citrus, but doubt I would have shied away from anything I wear now 15 years later. *
    Well spoken!
    Arte et labore

Work day: GIT, Geir, Blu Notte, M7, Rive Gauche
    Everyday: Cool Water, Neroli Sauvage, Chrome, M7 Fresh
    Evening: Black Code, Bvlgari Black, M7, Tea for Two, Dzing!
    Clubbing: MI
    Date: Rive Gauche, Tea for Two, Envy, Dior Homme, Geir, Chergui

Not much of a clubber here so I am lacking in the response for that category. I didn't take the time to read the other posts so you might see repetition. I second anything that I have mentioned in conjunction to another post.

EnvYuS

I wouldn't worry so much about the age thing. In 99% of cases it doesn't matter. There is the 1% or so though, when something in a scent triggers the "old man" feeling. I know it, and it isn't appealing. Then there is also the ultra simple scent that is boring and too fresh or too sweet. These might seem too juvenile to you. These cases are rare, and you would be better off focusing on finding frags you like rather than worrying about what fragrance perfectly fit someone in your age range. Now on to some recs...

Day wear: TM Cologne, Bulgari Aqua, Geir
    Dinner (formal?): Chergui, Bois du Portugal, Tea for Two
    Clubbing: I strongly believe that A*Men is far and away the best option for clubbing.
    Date: Trust me when I say that Gucci Envy is the best date scent. It's that good.

p.s.- I'm only 18 so if you don't take my advice seriously I'll understand

[tt] I am 24, from my Wardrobe I would wear:

day wear: Vetiver (maybe Frederic Malle Vetiver extraordinaire)
    Dinner : Daim Blond
    Clubbing : Gucci Pour Homme
    Date : Tumulte Pour Homme[/tt]

that is exatly what i would wear, exastly same as my choices. i am 23

I can't imagine GPH working well in a club. I feel like the woodiness in the heat would get overwhelming, especially to the people you are dancing with. Then again I haven't tried it. I think sweeter frags work best up in da' club.

Overcome By Fumes

Certainly age is a factor in selecting a fragrance which you may find most appropriate, but it is a very minor one compared to personality, skin type, dressing style, among other things, perhaps most importantly personal tastes. By itself, age is not such a useful criterion--kind of like asking what would be the best suit for a man with size 9 shoes. In tailoring fragrance recommendations, it is helpful for those of us who would like to contribute to know as much about the man as possible. Many of us would like to share our ideas but hold back when the one requesting suggestions gives very little information. Do you really want advice ONLY from guys your own age? Aren't there many guys your age whose taste you find to be terrible? There are some brilliant noses on this board--people who've smelled thousands of fragrances and have lived through all ages and lifestyles. Please, I mean no offense, but if I had a chance to ask financial advice and the panel included Warren Buffett, Alan Greenspan, Bill Gates, or some guy of the same age and monetary situation as myself; you can be sure I wouldn't limit myself to the "some guy". It's fine to take into account the age of the one giving the advice, but ultimately you have to be the judge. Somewhere in the world, some guy of any age you can imagine is wearing any fragrance you can imagine, in any of the situations you brought up, and wearing it well. Just step sideways.

I'm 20 and I like Gucci Rush. :-/
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

If you think that Gucci Rush is for elderly people then that rules out BdP, Rive Gauche, Dior homme, Neroli Sauvage, Eau Sauvage, Gucci pour homme, Envy and a few others.

But: You might just as well give ALL of them a try and see for yourself. This is what Basenotes is about. It's about people discovering fragrances and expanding their knowledge and tastes in fragrances. Welcome to a new experience!!!

When I started out, I was into oceanic frags, that was my "THING" (Cool Water, GIT, MI, Erolfa, Floris JF, etc.). Now, I have a wide range of fragrances which I love that I might have rejected a few years ago. Take the time you need.

Your taste in fragrances will automatically mature and in a few years' time you won't believe that you once liked the fragrances you started out with. That's not to say they're bad. It's just that either you develop a different taste or go off of them, coz you want to discover something new.

If I were you, I'd start out with an updated modern classic like Kouros Cologne Sport. It's a modern scent that is rather fresh while still retaining the original aura of the infamous Kouros, and believe me it's more unique than any of the off-the-shelf frags you find today. You'll instantly stand out from the masses. I constantly have girls ask me what scent this is. Not that I bother about it too much, but Kouros and Rive Gauche - if worn by a sexually confident man - is a turn on for women... 8-)

Thanks for your replies

Ok, I understand the message: Wear what you would like to wear because you have your own personality, style.....

I sometimes think that when I would buy some...let say old school frags...that I smell like my father....and I dont want it!! Do you only buy the frag because you like it and you don't care if it is also for older people??? Sometimes I think that a frag should also attract the attention of girls at my age.... Its not the only use....but I think its an important frag...

Of course I wouldn't buy a frag only because girls love it!!

For example if you have a frag which you like and all your friends say: Nooo that's too old school. You smell like an old man. Would I wear it although??

How do you find out if other people(escpecially girls) like your frag?? Do you ask them or are you waiting for compliments?? If you get no compliments....don't you think..hmm is it really the right frag??

About knowing if girls like your frag... an easy out is if you have a really good gal friend you feel comfortable asking, you could get advice from her. I wouldn't recommend going around asking lots of girls though. Aside from asking a close friend, I think the most important thing is that YOU like the scent. If you like the scent, then there is obviously something good about it, and on top of that you will feel comfortable wearing it. Being confident in your choice of scent is more important to girls than it being the best thing they've ever smelled, and that's good because honestly there isn't any one scent that all girls will love so just go with what you like. I've found this works really well. It almost seems like the more I like a scent, the more girls like it. Also, remember that you can get just as much feedback and sometimes more from body language as you can from vocal compliments. Compliments are still sweet though. If you read basenotes posts for long enough, you will begin to see that people bring up anecdotes of hundreds of different scents working well with women, so I wouldn't worry about finding "the one." Also, I think that if there is a fragrance that you really like and feel comfortable with, it probably won't reek of old man and thus girls and your friends won't have a problem with it. Since you seem to be sensitive to the whole old man thing, you probably won't end up with an old manish scent. A good route to take from your position is this: read a LOT! Buy a few cheap bottles from a reputable discount website based on your readings. Look into different companies and different styles. Scentiments.com is a good discount website to use. For instance, you can get Gucci Envy for like 18 bucks there and it's my favorite fragrance, so yea the deals are pretty sweet. Oh and always buy the smaller bottles (50ml/1.7oz) because you will never use up a full bottle unless at some point you aquire a signature scent. Then, if you are the curious type, start looking into niche fragrances. Then either use the sample programs from sites like aedes.com, lusciouscargo.com, luckyscents.com, etc., or start buying some decants from your fellow basenotes members. Or do both. Ok that was really long so I'm gonna stop now but good luck. And don't spend your time worrying what other people will like, just enjoy the ride and cherish the smells.

In fragrances, age is largely an illusion. This arguement will become as ridiculous as the "men wearing women fragrances" if we don't watch out.

Instead of putting an age group on a fragrance just enjoy it! If you think something smells too much like your dad, well, then don't wear it if you don't want to. Chances are the root of why younger people don't want to wear what they believe is an "older" scent is because they think their parents would wear it and don't want to smell like their parents.

But really, Gucci Rush is such a nice fragrance. It's a shame you won't give it a real try just because some of the woody "old man" notes.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

I have tested Kouros Cologne Sport....

It's not my thing...it smells just clean.....like a clean bathroom I think

Rive gauche imo is much better....

I am looking forward to getting replies from other young basenotes members!!

Just to answer your initial question, I am 30 and proud of my age! *

I think there is a line to be drawn between wearing what you like and wearing something that people around you approve of. I like Rive Gauche, but literally EVERY ONE of my friends that i've asked has said it smells either a) cheap, b) like deodorant or c) like hairspray. While I don't agree by ANY MEANS with them, I simply don't want the people that I'm around the most often to have to smell something they don't like every time they are around me.

Also, there are specific notes that I personally find to be too retro if not used correctly in a scent's mix. Patchouli is a great example. It smells like old. Yes, I am using "old" as a noun :P. But, if you want to give off a retro "i-smell-old-because-i'm-too-cool-for-school" vibe, then go for it. People wear vintage clothes, don't they? You don't have to actually BE old to do that. I personally don't wear vintage clothes OR frags (oldest I have is Bvlgari PH at 11 years), but I'm sure nobody would think less of me if I did.

The moral of the story is that scents don't have to depend of how old you actually are, just what impression you are seeking to broadcast. There are no rules; just do what feels comfortable.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzfreak24
    I sometimes think that when I would buy some...let say old school frags...that I smell like my father....and I dont want it!! Do you only buy the frag because you like it and you don't care if it is also for older people??? Sometimes I think that a frag should also attract the attention of girls at my age.... Its not the only use....but I think its an important frag...

Of course I wouldn't buy a frag only because girls love it!!

For example if you have a frag which you like and all your friends say: Nooo that's too old school. You smell like an old man. Would I wear it although??

How do you find out if other people(escpecially girls) like your frag?? Do you ask them or are you waiting for compliments?? If you get no compliments....don't you think..hmm is it really the right frag??
    Im 23. And for me if something is considered an old school frag, it actually increases my potential for buying it. Yes, there are some frags that have to "old man" smell and i dont like them. But something like Egoiste. I think the biggest buyer group is people in there 40s and thats fine by me! At least ill have something that propably others in my age group wont have. And all my friends say that i smell like an old man, that because they dont know about frags as much as i. And only stick with the fresh and clean stuff. I do get compliments on my frags, sometimes, but ewen if i dont. Ill still wear them! And it has been stated before, its not the frag that gets you ladies but the person wearing them 8-)