Code of Conduct

Default Sea water, beach, sun, holidays??

Ok, lets imagine: It's a rainy morning in summer. You get up, you see the clouds....you need a fragrance that reminds you of a perfect day at the beach
    ....lying in the sun
    .....having fun
    .....talking to nice people
    .....enjoying the perfect weather.

Which frag reminds you of a perfect holiday in the south?? You just need to spray this frag, then you have a good feeling....a perfect start into the day!!

I ve often read that "Laguna homme" is such a frag, but its not possible to get it here in Germany.

Ive aready tested these ones:

Biotherm Aqua fitness: Not bad, very refreshing, but it has been discontinued
    CK One Summer : Its too female I think....
    Jil Sander Sun for men: Sometimes nice but not an everyday frag for me....I am missing the freshness...
    Marc Jacobs: It smells like sun lotion to me....
    Bulgari aqua: Yeah its okay, but nothing special

Default Re: Sea water, beach, sun, holidays??

Such fragrance that reminds me of a day at the beach, or moreso the actual sunset at the beach is JLo's Miami Glow, I don't wear it, just for the record, but I like the smell

So I guess I'll be the first of many to say YSL Live Jazz

IMO a masculine frag that evokes sea, sea spray and salt is Kenzo PH

Cool Water was my first self-bought fragrance. I loved it and am now on my second bottle, and almost done too . It reminds me of 80 degree heat and humidity, being sticky, hot, and smelling great through it all. It brings me back to when I was younger durring summer days at the pool for work and just to relaxe there. I love it and it is the unltimate fun summer fragrance to me.

EnvYuS

I was checking a link posted recently by Pigeon Murderer and I came across this frag. I haven't tested it, but it seems to fit your scenario:

http://www.scent-systems.com/catalog...roducts_id=356

Plus, it looks like it's a good deal!
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Aramis Bermuda Tonic reminds me of this subject.

Regards,
    Jim

Azzaro Chrome, no doubt about it!

Mare - Creative Universe
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky
    Mare - Creative Universe

[blue]*Mare* by Creative Universe. Yes! Absolutely![/blue]

What about Creed Millesime Imperial? I wore this one all the time when I was living out in California, and now every time I smell it I'm reminded of those sunny days.

Roman 8-)

Definitely Kenzo - L'eau Par. I just got out of the water to drink my ice cold lemonade! (might not be warm enough for a rainy day though)

What is Mare- Creative Universe? Never heard of it and can't find it on the directory.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

bleu autumn haze

Eau des Merveilles is my "take-me-to-the-beach" scent. One whiff and I'm instantly transported to a sunny beach where I feel the salty sea air against my sun-baked skin. It's not so much about suntan lotion, no pineapple or coconut note in sight. I have a hard time wearing this to work though, I tend to daydream too much while wearing it. (and while it is from the girl's side of the shelf, I think it would be great on a man, too!)
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz
    What is Mare- Creative Universe? Never heard of it and can't find it on the directory.
    [blue]Live Jazz,

Creative Universe is the company; *Mare* is the fragrance.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122381.html

scentemental[/blue]

[blue]Sorry. Double Post.[/blue]

I'm surprised Laguna Homme wasn't mentioned.

For me, though, it is Erolfa.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz
    What is Mare- Creative Universe? *Never heard of it and can't find it on the directory.
    Creative Universe is a company owned and operated by an individual perfumer out of New York. Her name is Beth Terry, she has other products too, Mare has received very positively and is found in some specialty shops in USA. I carry this in my store, and am about to receive another of her products which has turned out to be her next best seller, called VITA

LiveJazz I am in the process of getting vials so I can decant and send them out as samples. If you are interested PM me. These samples will be free.

I did read scentemental's review on this (link on scentemental's post) and he hit it right on the money.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Sandflowers (Montale) & Azzaro Chrome

Quote Originally Posted by perfectscent
    IMO a masculine frag that evokes sea, sea spray and salt is Kenzo PH

I second that. The first thing that came to me when I first tried it was the salty ocean. Real nice, though I know some on this board who aren't fond of it.

And I'll go with Cool Water as well. I wore this the entire time when I was in the Caribbean and it is nostalgic. Every time I get a whiff of it I'm in the ocean on a bright (and hot) sunny day and having a blast. *sigh* :-/

I lived in South Beach for a while and Kouros was a huge hit. It does extremely well in the heat -- and the thing is it lasts really well as many others fade in the heat.
    Peace ~ Markymark

When I was in Florida for a few months, I wore that blue Aqua Velva aftershave. It was the best I could find at the Naval Exchange there, and it wasn't worth it to wear nice cologne in front of a few hundred dirty airmen. When I first got my bottle of GIT, the topnotes brought me right back to my cramped, sweaty dorm room in pensacola.
    From that time forward, any time I deploy to someplace warm ( ) I don't bring any scents- I just buy whatever they have at the local BX and usually get rid of the remainder when I leave. It saves on weight.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

I second Eau des Merveilles.

I third eau de Merveilles
    I second Erolfa

Adding AF Tiempe Passate
    PdN Cococabana
    L'Artisan Ananas Fizz

Creed Erolfa is very appropriate, and to a lesser extent, Imperial. Erolfa is just WoW !
    -

I third Mare

and I'd like to add Sables (Annick Goutal) to the list.
    Arte et labore

For me, Nothing evokes what you described more purely than Montale Fougeres Marines. Damn fine Acquatic scent.

I'll add Amouage Arcus. Very natural marine, salty air note, to my nose. As with most Amouage scents, it smells of very high quality, that is, has an "expensive" smell to it. It's also extremely wearable as a SOTD - not "weird" at all.

Also, I'll second Montale Sandflowers. To me, it smells A LOT like the beaches in So. California where I used to live. It's got maybe the most natural smelling sea water / wet beach sand note I've smelled, as well as some very light floral notes that mimic very well the smell of the grasses and brush around the beaches I used to go to. If you want to smell like a beach (and not tanning lotion or the people on the beach), this might be the one!

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    [quote author=maisonstinky link=1146160442/0#8 date=1146163806]Mare - Creative Universe

[blue]*Mare* by Creative Universe. Yes! Absolutely![/blue][/quote]

I fourth this suggestion! *

Quote Originally Posted by Trasker
    I fourth this suggestion!

Fiftheded!

Holy cow I love Mare.

Thanks, scentemental! I can't imagine any other blind buy will EVER be that good!

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    [blue]*Mare* by Creative Universe. Yes! Absolutely![/blue]
    Third! Now if I can only get a bottle! ;>

Another to add to this list is Tonatto's Oltre. It has an unbelievable marine note. Though warm beaches and sun is not what I think of. The cool air and power of a gathering storm is more like it. There's something cold, intense, powerful, and lonely about this scent. Like Sandflowers and Mare, I'm just not sure it's a scent I'd want to smell like!

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu
    Eau des Merveilles is my "take-me-to-the-beach" scent. One whiff and I'm instantly transported to a sunny beach where I feel the salty sea air against my sun-baked skin. It's not so much about suntan lotion, no pineapple or coconut note in sight. I have a hard time wearing this to work though, I tend to daydream too much while wearing it. (and while it is from the girl's side of the shelf, I think it would be great on a man, too!)
    OMG I Totally agree with you!!! Any time I visit my mom is FLA, I have to bring Eau de merveilles with me. To me its the quintessential beach fragrance. Another one, strangely enough, that is a fantastic beach scent is Antonia's flowers tiempe passate. Something about the salty rose which grows along salt water coast lines is just perfectly beach to me

Quote Originally Posted by Trasker
    Third! Now if I can only get a bottle! ;>

Awwww Trasker...you can't THIRD IT! Its already been fiftheded!

And you can't have my bottle.

Mare by Creative Universe

Well, although I have not smelled a few of the scents listed, they all seen to be good additions.

However, there is one scent, that even from my very first sniff (ca. May,1989), I have always associated it's character with the summer sun and carefree days............

Gendarme........the original (first) one.

I'm actually quite surprised that I'm the first to mention it so far...........

Christian Dior 'Dune'. Nominally this is a "female" fragrance. But really unisex. The feminine version is much better than the masculine (and quite different). It was designed to be oceanic (dune, as in sand dune).

Nobody has said Aqua Motu by CSP , in fact EAU DE BIARRITZ also.

One of the best I have tried is Aqua motu, layered with jlo miami glow. pretty cool eh!

have a look at -http://www.comptoir-sud-pacifique.com
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?

Hey Tanzfreak,
    I would strongly second Aqua Motu. I call it beach in a bottle.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo_Gals
    OMG I Totally agree with you!!! Any time I visit my mom is FLA, I have to bring Eau de merveilles with me. To me its the quintessential beach fragrance.
    Agreed!

To me, it would be Bulgari Blv. It rsmells to me like the Coppertone suntan lotion from 1960's and 1970's.

But I'm no longer a beach person and I don't own Bulgari Blv!

Yes to Creed's Erolfa and Millesime Imperial.

But also CK Truth - when Kramer tells Seinfeld he sold the concept of a fragrance evoking 'the beach' to Calvin Klein, this must have been the tangible result!

CB I Hate Perfume: Hr. Hulot's Holiday and At the Beach 1966

i really enjoyed L'Artisan's Navegar over my hot July 4th long weekend at the beach.

from their website:
    A very fresh cocktail retrieved on the Road to Spices journey. The perfume is a blend of dreamlike, faraway products: limes of Brazil, ginger, and the star anise of China… Navegar is a cargo boat of treasures among which the “black diamond”: the Pepper of Malabar!

Family : citrus spicy woody
    Blend : lime, pepper, anise, cedar

Mare - Creative Universe

I am truly surprised that no one has mentioned Set Sail St. Barts & Set Sail South Seas from Tommy Bahama (his water, beach, holidays in the sun aquas)...hmmm???...maybe I may be that much of a neophyte?...also thought Cool Water would have been mentioned more frequently both since it's a classic (& quantity is generous & price is right; not that these last 2 should be a criteria)...Being a seaside swimming surfing sailing SDian I love the TB fragrance but my only real issue with the TB blues / aquas are their strength, longevity & silage...
    Last edited by wggmn3; 8th September 2010 at 07:31 AM.

Amouage Ciel
    Creed Silver Mountain Water

-And offcourse Erolfa..

Quote Originally Posted by wggmn3 View Post
    I am truly surprised that no one has mentioned Set Sail St. Barts & Set Sail South Seas from Tommy Bahama (his water, beach, holidays in the sun aquas)...hmmm???...maybe I may be that much of a neophyte?...also thought Cool Water would have been mentioned more frequently both since it's a classic (& quantity is generous & price is right; not that these last 2 should be a criteria)...Being a seaside swimming surfing sailing SDian I love the TB fragrance but my only real issue with the TB blues / aquas are their strength, longevity & silage...
    Well since this thread ended well over a year prior to either of those scents being introduced, it's not surprising really.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzfreak24 View Post
    ... you need a fragrance that reminds you of a perfect day at the beach ...

Biotherm Aqua fitness: Not bad, very refreshing, but it has been discontinued
    CK One Summer : Its too female I think....
    Jil Sander Sun for men: Sometimes nice but not an everyday frag for me....I am missing the freshness...
    Marc Jacobs: It smells like sun lotion to me....
    Bulgari aqua: Yeah its okay, but nothing special
    Very easy: Connect a certain fragrance with the beach by wearing it as often as possible in situations which You consider "beachy". How do other people take the beach smell wise? It may be the sun lotion plus ice cream plus brown algae (aromachemical calone) or just rotting fish (some nitrile?) or the specific smell of the cleaning detergent of the cheap hotel added to the wonderfull warm bread in the morning? I think any advice could be right by chance only.

I would consider "aquatic" fragrances kitschy.

Blog Entries

WHY has no-one mentioned Creed's Virgin lsland Water??? To me it smells exactly like sipping a mojito on a fine white sand beach lined with coconut palms, while gazing at a deep tourquoise sea.. *sigh* lt's a must-try lMHO!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Kenzo PH
    Baldessarini Del Mar and its Marbella edition
    Versace Pour Homme
    Bvlgari Aqua

Beach by Pascal Morabito

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    WHY has no-one mentioned Creed's Virgin lsland Water??? To me it smells exactly like sipping a mojito on a fine white sand beach lined with coconut palms, while gazing at a deep tourquoise sea.. *sigh* lt's a must-try lMHO!
    No one has mentioned it because the original question in this thread was posted in 2006- the year before Virgin Island Water was released.

I doubt the original poster is still looking for an answer, if he's even still an active member here. His last post was in January 2007.

The Different Company - Sel De Vetiver

Eau pour le jeune homme from MPG to me is the perfect beach scent without resorting to any of the usual cheap tricks.

But if cheap tricks don't bother you, Calvin Klein Eternity Summer 2008 smells way better than it has any right to.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    No one has mentioned it because the original question in this thread was posted in 2006- the year before Virgin Island Water was released.

I doubt the original poster is still looking for an answer, if he's even still an active member here. His last post was in January 2007.
    Fair comment, but since other basenoters may be reading this thread looking for an answer to the same question, IMHO we are duty bound to help out, don't you think??
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I will strongly second Aqua Motu and Eau de Biarritz- both by Comptoir Sud Pacifique. Another vote for VIW by Creed as well, and a suggestion to try Eau Ensoleillent by Clarins.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Fair comment, but since other basenoters may be reading this thread looking for an answer to the same question, IMHO we are duty bound to help out, don't you think??
    Sure, why not.

In answer to the question, I say Virgin Island Water.