Code of Conduct

Default Reasons for my departure :^)

"Everlast is an American legend. This mythical boxing brand, established in the Bronx, New York in 1910, symbolizes the core values of endurance, power, and courage. Its celebrated yellow and black logo instantly brings to mind a man who is determined, passionate, and one who exudes attitude."

Over the last year I've grown disillusioned with the fragrance industry, niche or other wise. The above is a perfect example. Its kinda like drinking Don Perrignon then taste testing Gooseneck Champagne. Why bother? After Creeds, Artisans, Villoresmis, etc etc I turn and now have HUMMER & EVERLAST to look forward to. This greatly disturbs me. I mean didnt Gere give up and move to Tibet after Crawford? I would have too. So I'm in my fragrant Tibet.

Cheers,
    Ali

Default Re: Reasons for my departure :^)

Hi Al,
    Well we'll always be here when you want to come back in from the cold.

I don't think much of Hummer. But I've never seen Everlast - sounds like my sort of scent. Is it any good?

I still miss your unique dissecting analyses of scents.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Saphire of Infinity
    "Everlast is an American legend. This mythical boxing brand, established in the Bronx, New York in 1910, symbolizes the core values of endurance, power, and courage. Its celebrated yellow and black logo instantly brings to mind a man who is determined, passionate, and one who exudes attitude."

Over the last year I've grown disillusioned with the fragrance industry, niche or other wise. The above is a perfect example. *Its kinda like drinking Don Perrignon then taste testing Gooseneck Champagne. *Why bother? After Creeds, Artisans, Villoresmis, etc etc I turn and now have HUMMER & EVERLAST to look forward to. This greatly disturbs me. *I mean didnt Gere give up and move to Tibet after Crawford? I would have too. So I'm in my fragrant Tibet.

Cheers,
    Ali

Please don't give up man.

I like hearing things like that. Needs to be more of it. Go with what your vibrations tell you. It's probably more of a transformation and transcendence than a departure.

-
    Energy flows where attention goes.
    -

Hi Ali,

I understand your frustration! Let me make a few suggestions! First, take a bit of a break from fragrances in general. Perhaps a couple of weeks with NO fragrances whatsoever. Afterwards, you might try the approach that I am now taking (after having been a BN member and collecting fragrances over the last three years). Part of my newest approach is to acquire THE best of the best in fragrances, be it in the form of samples, decants, and the occational bottle of fragrance which I either buy direct (from one of our members in the fragrance business or via swap with other members). I too am also sick and tired of the "also rans"/ MASS marketed HYPED fragrances. Please note that I am NOT talking about CLASSIC fragrances/Houses with excellent histories but rather the companies that just continue to PUMP OUT fragrance after fragrance and play the "lets name a fragrance after the biggest Celebrity (and/or POP culture icon) approach to marketing. Making a PROFIT is fine but, personally, I try to do my best to buy fragrances that have been created as a "labor of LOVE" creation. Part two of my approach is more challenging and should be more fun! I have been recently searching the web and trying to educate myself about ATTARS from India, PERFUME OILS (such as those found at www.Madini.com) as well as ESSENTIAL OILS. My PLAN is to (in my case) buy some (AUTHENTIC) CIVET and/or CASTOREUM (because I LOVE those stinky notes) and using these notes, experiment blending the aforementioned items.
    I figure I could either make my own perfume using CLEAREVER or VODKA, put in X amount of CIVET and OILS and create something unique! I could also blend the mixture with carrier oils and apply to skin. How well this will work I know not. However, I am thinking this should be a lot of fun and give me a entire new approach to this hobby. Anyway, that's my PLAN! Food for thought!

Regards,
    SixCats!

I can't add much to what's been said. I agree totally with your disillusionment with the mass-marketed fragrance industry approach (incidentally I have the same disillusionment with similar tactics in so many other industries). I am glad you shared your thoughts and your plans. Best of luck...

You shouldn't be frustrated. Mass market fragrances are what they are and are marketed to the people they're marketed to. Some of them can be good, in the way that a cold MGD on a hot summer day can, even if it's not Dom Perignon.

Hi Al,
    it's good to see you looked in.

I haven't actually smelled EVERLAST, but I don't see much problem out of it, if one keeps a bottle of EVERCLEAR at hand to wash off things he/she sprayed on by mistake.

BTW I guess The Basenotes in turn is sort of "fragrance Tibet" to all Basenoters.
    Not much Hummer discussions going on here, really.

Sad to see you took "the fragrance hermit way", but all in all, everyone makes his own decisions,
    may your cave smell good!

Regards, Odor.
    "One man's "cat piss" is another one's "masterpiece" (popular fragrance wisdom)

Just because crap is realeased out doesn't mean you have to buy---or even smell--- it. Unless you have smelt literally EVERY classic and/or well made frag, there is still a place for you here I would think. But if you really feel that it's the only way to go, good luck.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Thanks for the words of encouragement/suggestions I guess my coffers do need emptying (I did notice having more money than usual since my fragrant departure ) I cant say I've tried EVERY fragrance but there are very few if any that I havent tried so that is also part of my need for a break. I did come across the newest CDG line which gave me a new hope. I like gourmands and this new line looks promising. I'm also going to the middle east this summer to film and will once again chance the Attars, though most middle east varietals give me a headache and seem to gaudy. I do dig the newer bottle designs. I may stop in France as well and scope out the new Molinard and Fragonard offerings.

Cheers,
    Ali